Weed

Are any actual benefits/downsides to weed? Not just with lifting, but in terms of mental and long term health.

I smoke pretty much everyday and it doesn't really affect my motivation that much, but I can't help but think maybe it is holding me back and making me more depressed. On the other hand, I also feel like it is a good thing to have because it can be a great way to deal with stress and I feel really bored and empty without it.

What does /fit think of it?

Attached: IMG3052365236.jpg (680x350, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10098887
psycnet.apa.org/buy/2012-16779-001
jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/fullarticle/481834
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if your life is depressing or boring or empty without weed, that should tell you something.

stop smoking for six months and see what your actual life is like, and what you want to do about it. you can always go back.

Attached: asdf.jpg (799x1280, 213K)

while being enjoyable, weed harms my short term memory and I mix up words a little bit if I smoke regularly like once a week or so. Doesn't affect my mood in a longer term, but being high makes me a bit euphoric because I value simple things more.
Smoking less frequently makes it generally better, like just once in a few months or so.

>benefits
Can help relieve hypertension and anxiety depending on the strand and amount smoked/eaten. I found it helped me wind down. There is some evidence it can help with neurogenesis. There is some evidence it can help with short-term attention span and focus, but not memory retention. Pretty good at helping those with ALS and cerebral palsy.

>drawbacks
It can interfere with REM sleep, be counterproductive in helping with anxiety, decrease sex drive, and interfere with long-term memory.

>I feel really bored and empty without it
You unironically need to listen to Jordan Peterson and get some damn meaning in your life.

Attached: 20664935_1796336990406733_8225228352491219083_n.jpg (526x822, 57K)

>it is holding me back and making me more depressed.

Fact. Long term it shrinks the axons in your brain and compensates by growing the myelin sheath around them (the increased sheath makes up for the loss in signal), which is kinda like losing pixels in an image and trying to compensate by zooming in. Lower quality etc. Anyway, the real problem with weed is that it makes your neural patterns more random over time. Great for some vidya or hanging with friends, not so great if you're actually trying to do something with your life.

If you feel bored and empty without weed, you are depressed. Go meet some people, work on a hobby, go outside, take a break from the screens.

It can exacerbate preexisting mental conditions, particularly schizophrenia. It ain't gonna give you Reefer Madness but it just generally isn't a good idea. It affects short-term memory while making you sluggish and childish.

You don't need weed in your life. Not that there are any 'winner' drugs but weed is definitely the choice of losers. Not a very Jow Forums practice.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10098887

May put you in ketosis faster if you're trying to do keto.

I think you should find a hobby and make smoking a special kind of thing to do once or twice a month

>smoking reefer BEFORE lifting

totally stupid and completely missing the point. straight to the cringe compilation with this one.

Attached: 1527547942382.jpg (350x350, 35K)

It can open you up to new thoughts at first but after a while it just makes you stupid. I honestly think you should take like a weed year in your 20s then drop it

I can't use that shit reguarly it makes me too paranoid. Paranoid about not doing good enough in life and shit.

this

Weed increases estrogen levels and you're a basedboy if you deny it.

weed inhibits HGH and test production, and so does alcohol. I dont do it that much for those reasons. I have an occasional few beers with friends and at family dinners, but other than that its water for the most part (I don't like being drunk so limiting myself to only a good buzz level is perfect). I smoke after work or a good workout on maybe 2- 4 times a month. I dip more than I should, but eh.
TL;DR: yes there are real side effects to weed use,and it seems that you might have a problem and are using it as a crutch. moderation and mindfulness is key

>basedboy
I don't think you know what that means.

I've smoked every day for 10 years.
You already smoked weed, you know what it does, either you want it or you don't. Stop asking the vietnamese rice coloring forum to make decisions for you. Also, can we stop having the same weed thread with the same replies every day?

He meant to say basedboy but the word filter changes it to basedboy.

schizophrenia

weed is a god tier drug for martial arts. I can see why it's a banned substance. It gives you just enough psychedelia and body load to let you gain new insights into how to move your body and it makes working out with a punching bag a blast. Sadly I'm not in Colorado anymore but I'm considering getting a medical card for my social anxiety and depression assuming they'll give you one for that

Can confirm, both benefit and downside.

HEUHEUHEUHEUHEU

Attached: dudeweed.jpg (580x631, 63K)

One thing I realized after smoking everyday for a very long time was that it kind of stunted my emotional growth. I would always feel okay when I was smoking and able to basically deal with life stresses and let Downs, breakups Etc. But once you get off you realize that you have more trouble than the average person dealing with emotional issues. Also whether you realize it or not it does kind of make you content in your situation. If you're already in a good spot I don't think it's the worst thing. But I know a lot of people personally that are okay with being in a very shitty position in life as long as they can smoke weed everyday and forget for a little while, or permanently depending on how bad their addiction is. It may not affect your motivation to get things done, but it does affect your motivation to improve your situation.

Maybe for stretching after or tai chi but you no way would I smoke that shit in actual fighting in the ring or anything fast

>t. thai boxer that used to blaze everyday

here
I forgot to mention that it has helped me with thinking more logically when I get stuck in an emotional state. It has its uses, but I also think that if I never grew to rely on it to relieve my stress that I may not need it in order to think the way that I do when I smoke

the longterm effects of weed aren't well studied because it's only just becoming normalized

But it has been proven that it permanently lowers IQ if you smoke it before you're an adult as it inhibits normal brain development. That can't mean anything good for actually smoking as an adult either.

Only niggers smoke.

as a nigger I can confirm

Increased lung capacity.

I won't say the substance itself helps me as the influence it has on me. When high, I can be comfortable and have a good time, if everything is fine. If things are not fine, if I'm unhealthy, if I'm dirty, etc, I'm aware of it and made uncomfortable, this puts me in a situation where I have to fix whatever is bothering me.

After smoking, the increased awareness of my own self, gives me confidence in my abilities to tackle tasks and improve myself. I feel like I could exercise forever, I feel like I can reach peace in my mind in minutes, I feel like when I'm sick I know exactly what I need to change in my diet or supplements.

I don't know how it is for others, but it has helped push me forward in harsh times.

While I do enjoy it, sometimes it feels like a chore. I don't mean that as a bad thing but I mean that as in a "time to take your medicine" way. I feel guilty if I try to avoid it for too long, it's like not checking in with my body, neglect if I avoid it. Because I know that for me, when I take it, that it doesn't guarantee a relaxing time, if I've been bad, it means a productive time, like it or not.

The felony on your record when you get caught.

wow some good advice for once.
Smoking because you are about to listen to some Billy Idol is cool but smoking to "deal with stress" is just a sign that you have more important things to worry about

Attached: 1527262217439.jpg (1242x1306, 371K)

>I feel really bored and empty without it.
this means your life is boring and empty

weed makes you ok with that

Not if you live in a place where it's legal.

Daily use of any drug is no good. I drink or smoke as a treat, not a chore. A good general rule is that if you ever catch yourself doing a drug to feel *normal,* you're hooked too bad and should probably rethink some things. That goes for caffeinefags just as much as it does for weed, alcohol, etc. etc.

what the eff is everyone's problem with smoking green?

Attached: 7126d3b2d0e90e7638d55da6fa2e8242.jpg (480x800, 37K)

Some great advices here. It's refreshing to see.

6 times higher risk of schizophrenia. Enjoy.

>I feel really bored and empty without it

You're literally a drug addict, but maybe you knew that already.

What you do in your life has reactions. Be it a man who dwells on good things and keeps good things in his heart, good things would be what comes out, for this is what he loves.

If someone is to smoke weed, a literal mind altering drug, it can affect how you think, how you act, and it will even open up your soul to bad influences.

Do yourself a favor man. Get off the weed.

I don't know a single person who didn't hate themselves because they didn't know how to deal with stress.

Being a person with respectful character learns how to overcome such things. The road is not easy, and few find it. But it is always worth while.

>bro let's play the greatest song of all time! Dancing With Myself!!!
>we better get super baked first!!!
Wtf user, of all the artists you could have picked, Billy Idol.

I had a phase where I smoked copious amounts of weed. Bought a $500 fancy bong too, along with different strains so I could try them all out. Even got into selling little amounts to friends and friends of friends in order to smoke for free. I was in college when I did that, and I made enough money where I could afford luxuries that other college students couldn't.

That being said, I was a lazy fuck during that time period. Had no motivation to do anything. I lifted and still went to the gym, but I made very little progress. It also put me in this perpetual brain fog. I didn't think clearly at all, and I spent most of my days being lazy and unproductive. Grades suffered as a result. In my last semester, I decided to quit and sell all my paraphernalia. One of the better decisions I've made.

I still enjoy the occasional joint or blunt, but I never smoke by myself now. Only in social settings.

No complete scientific consensus but there's a good amount of evidence to support the idea that smoking a lot of weed will affect your cognition negatively for a period of time. However, after an extended abstinence period of a month or so, your cognition returns to normal

Here's a meta-analysis of 13 studies so this holds some weight
psycnet.apa.org/buy/2012-16779-001

Here's another study that says the same thing
jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/fullarticle/481834

So I try to treat it like alcohol and keep it to the weekends, but if you're smoking erryday then you're cognition is gonna be affected for a little while so take a t-break

Attached: 1524622482006.jpg (600x379, 45K)

I have worked in a hospital and in the psychosis treatment program almost all patients had it caused by drugs, mainly weed and the oocasional mushroom people. It doesn't happen to everyone. but that it can cause psychosis in a lot of people should be enough of a warning. I don't think it should be legal. lead a fit life, get off the weed

there are no long term studies on the effect of daily use, you don't want to be the guinea pig

>decrease sec drive

As someone on antidepressants, weed is the only way I can horny, it's a huge libido booster

try out some daily cbd oil drops

So I smoke and read a bit on the shit I ingest. One side effect that appears to have strong evidence for, is that pot disrupts REM for a not completely known duration (but it's probably a few hours).

You might get 8 hours or more of sleep. But if you're smoking to sleep its possible you're only getting 4 hours of good sleep.