I am thinking of quitting my job to become a writer. I have enough money right now for 4 months rent

I am thinking of quitting my job to become a writer. I have enough money right now for 4 months rent.

I cannot see a reason to continue in my job. If money was no object I would never choose the job, and would just write. Otherwise, I would simply be working to pay to continue working in a job I dislike.

I am going to follow my dreams, robots.

Attached: 4413bbf5-6fa9-42d7-b998-287ef66ea1a9.gif (250x200, 966K)

Other urls found in this thread:

in5d.com/how-to-deprogram-yourself/
patreon.com/in5d
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Where the fuck do you plan to get money

i wish i had your resolve. good luck and godspeed.

I don't see the point in burning the bridge to pursue something that, statistically speaking, you are very unlikely to be successful in.

Why not write in your spare time? Have you convinced yourself that you need to be free 24/7 in order to do this properly?

If you just want to quit your job because you hate it, you don't really need an excuse.

You can't even write a compelling post moron.

Attached: fabuloso.jpg (640x640, 86K)

I am not going to worry about money for now. I have enough money for rent for a few months, I have cancelled anything that would cost me money, and I will live as cheap as possible.

Thanks. I think it is just something I need to do. I do not fear failure, so I azm going to risk it all.

The job is fucking horrible. Following my dream is just the kick I need to leave.

You must have your critics. I will use your post as inspiration to work hard.

yes yes baby

When you find religion, you find money as these two tenets in life are married to one another. Within these two entities, you'll also find their bastard stepchild, government as all 3 are perpetually tied to each other.

I often ask people, "If there was no such thing as money, then what would you be doing with your life?" This will give you an idea of what your life purpose should be if you were not influenced by the almighty dollar.

While money can simply be viewed as another form of energy, neither positive or negative, it also takes us away from our true, natural selves along with what is truly important in our lives.

We are all economic slaves to the system. How many of us work 40+ hours a week only to find ourselves so drained at the end of the day that we don't want to do anything other than relax and watch TV?

That means that you are working 40+ hours so you can enjoy yourself for the weekend. In essence, you are an economic slave for 5 days to the corporations in exchange for 2 days to yourself. Does this sound fair? And how are you spending these two days? Are you helping to make this world a better place or are you simply recharging your batteries so you can go back to being a slave to these corporations who drained your battery in the first place?

Solution: We live in a society that relies on money for existence. Some people are able to get off the grid completely but they are few and far between. Find whatever it is that truly makes you happy, then find ways to make a living doing it. There may be a time when you have to work your current job while building a new career, but in the end, you'll find that working for yourself is much more gratifying than working some job that you hate for a boss who is an a*hole.

Our educational system is a complete failure as it basically grooms our children to become corporate economic slaves while discouraging them to ask questions and to follow their own path.

You only have 4 months worth

How many pieces have you written and what can you publish?

youre gonna end up homeless LMAO

When you say following your dream, do you mean starting to write after quitting the job, or are you already writing a substantial amount?
First off quitting your job for this is pretty stupid, most creative people aren't able to make enough from their practice to do this even when they're doing well. Maybe find another job with fewer hours and spend the rest of your time writing? Speaking as a somewhat ok artist who has sold a few things, I have a bunch of friends who are actually making money in their creative outlets but still need to work. Look at bukowski, he worked at a post office while he wrote all that shit. Are you likely to be more successful?

If you plan to make any money writing you're gonna need a hell of a lot longer than 4 months. Even without beta readers, it'll take at least that long to edit it.
Keep your job, write articles for local newspapers, write erotic short stories on online forums, get plenty of practice, then write the book in your spare time

That money will burn up quick. Good luck,I guess.

Four months of savings is not even close to enough. I took a year off to focus on my art and I barely made it because of random life shit. I was pretty much living off of rice and beans. I had to ask my parents for money towards the end. You need to at least double whatever you have saved and just work part time.

I'm not trying to squash your dream but four months is not enough time to become a successful writer. Unless you've been doing some hardcore freelancing while working your day job.

Can't recommend. I wrote a book as a broke NEET, it took me three years to finish it. I rewrote nearly the whole thing twice and editing it to acceptable levels sometimes felt like an endless endeavor. And for what? It is unlikely it will ever be properly published. That bit is the dream. If you're just writing as a hobby, do it during your spare time, don't try to make it a life's endeavor.

At least get a part time gas station job or something. Keeps the money coming in, buys more time. And you can write with apps on your phone in dull times. Maybe even go for night shift. Almost no customers.

>I am thinking of quitting my job to become a writer. I have enough money right now for 4 months rent.

You should have at least a year's worth of salary saved up before you attempt something like this. I did something similar a few weeks ago but I still live with my parent's and have 40k saved up.

>Otherwise, I would simply be working to pay to continue working in a job I dislike.

Is it the job or the people you're working for?

I can personally tolerate working a shitty job but I can't tolerate working for dishonest people. If it's the latter, I recommend trying to find another job.

>I am not going to worry about money for now.
Never a smart move man.

What kind of writing? Being a writer is romanticized, but as someone who writes novels and has been doing so for more than a decade, the process of being paid for your writing is not easy.

Notably:

Want to write editorial, commentary, etc.? Those gigs don't pay all that well. The ones that do require specialized knowledge. This is probably the easiest way to become a writer.

Non-fiction? Again, better hope you have a reservoir of specialized knowledge that people will want to read - a voice is also helpful, obviously.

Fiction? Here we go.

I don't know short stories beyond the lit mag/competition circuit - there's some money there, but not a ton. Better for exposure to submit to Tin House, Masters Review, etc. Guess you could try for an anthology.

Here's the low down on writing longer form fiction, like novels: It will take you years before you see serious money, if you ever do, and the chances aren't great.

Want to go self-pub, like Amazon? You'll need to be able to market, as well as hiring editors, beta readers, cover illustrators, etc. Not doing so drastically reduces your chances of ever getting more than a handful of people to read your stuff. Even serious self-pub novelists can tell you it usually takes a bulkwark of novels to bring in sustainable revenue.

Want to go trad publishing? Give yourself a year to write your novel and edit it, to be optimistic. Then six months to land an agent, if you can. Then, if your story is good enough to get pubbed, another 12-24 months to land a publisher and go through publishing/editing with the publisher (ie, Penguin, Random House). Again, this stage does not happen for most novels.

Then, if you're good to go to shelves, you're waiting even longer for printing and then your payout for royalties, etc.

Suffice to say: It is a long road, not a short one. 4 months is barely enough time for a few drafts of a novel; for editorials, or commentary, or listicles and whatnot, it's just another job.

Attached: images[1].jpg (172x292, 13K)

>quitting your job to become a writer
don't do this, you're delusional

I would add to this and say that we're actually slaves and don't have any freedom and if you stop making money and stop playing the game they will literally let you starve to death on the fucking streets because they see you as a worthless dog

no you dumb fucking cunt, i didn't write any of this shit

in5d.com/how-to-deprogram-yourself/

patreon.com/in5d
nice

Are you good? Even if you are it might be hard to find success but life is too short to not do what you want to live for.