Calisthenics?

Ive been lifting for approaching a year now and have built up a decent foundation in terms of strength and muscle mass, Im starting to realize I want more functional strength that will translate into rock climbing and other activities like that. What are your thoughts on switching to a Calisthenics based workout with supplementary weightlifting for legs and stuff?

Attached: images.jpg (300x168, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nmP8l-ELI3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=XckQ1p-glhA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>functional strength
Climb up something high and jump off

Do it if you want to make 0 gains. "Functional strength" is a meme, and youtube calisthenics people either do freeweights off camera or take roids.

you're going to have to drop weight lifting and get more into calisthenics. Deadlifts are probably something you want to keep, not so sure about squats

Im not talking crossfit "functional strength" just more strength relative to my own weight instead of big muscle heavy weights etc.

>calisthenics people either do freeweights off camera
Tbqh famalam that's no secret
youtube.com/watch?v=nmP8l-ELI3Q

I did bodyweight training for almost a year and gained zero muscle. Great for cutting or maintaining though.

Im not super interested in bulking a ton and putting on mass at this point, I do plan on cutting for the next while as Ive gotten up to ~18% BF bulking and its not super great for climbing and athletics

depends on what you define as strength. If you want to just be able to throw yourself around, then calisthenics is best. If you want to throw other people of the same weight around, then strength training is best.

Yeah Im more in the throw myself around boat with rock climbing and stuff

yeah, you definitely want to do some of that ninja warrior type stuff then. Dunno how they train but they definitely don't use barbells or dumbbells

>I did bodyweight training for almost a year and gained zero muscle. Great for cutting or maintaining though.
Post body

keep squats. but also do calisthenics squats (build up to a pistol squat) for balance gains.

youtube.com/watch?v=XckQ1p-glhA
Like him?

Doubt you can do more than 15 strict pullups

Kek you think that body is thanks to calisthenics?

im not going for his body, just his strength :)

How do people program calisthenics? I feel like you can't do standard rep schemes. Anyone have any recs?

you can still follow the 3 sets till failure thing. At least whats what I used for pull ups and chinups except i would add weight once i got up to 12 reps

do both.

stick to your normal gym routine, or a new one if youre stalling.

and at home do the bodyweight stuff, regular sets spread through the day, but never to failure.

google either greasing the groove, frequency method, or dr pavels book 'the naked warrior'

Weighted calisthenics are god tier but you still won't be making the maximum ammount of gains without including some sort of barbell training. Heria talks about this all the time.

This, do both

>functional strength that will translate into rock climbing

Start rock climbing then.

listen to this guy. i incorporated the 100 push up a day meme into my life and i unstalled my bench... on a cut

how accurate is this?

Attached: 1508582783486.jpg (1024x576, 97K)

Austin Dunham is starting to look kinda questionable but I doubt Chris is on the stuff.
It's not impossible obviously but I really don't think so. His mass and leanness combined are very impressive but he's also an elite level calisthenics guy who puts some gymnasts to shame at a taller height. Incredibly impressive feat of strength to match his physique.

Do both OP, I did only calisthenics for a year and I made some gains, but I wish I had lifted weights too. I think I would have more strength overall if I had.

>Do both

Attached: you.gif (350x295, 2.68M)

If I were fat I would go straight to weightlifting. If I were skinny calisthenics is viable.

user, if you were fat and did calisthenics, you will become skinny strong and swole.

>functional strength
What the fuck does that mean? You think calisthenics is "functional strength"? If you do only calisthenics yeah you get better at moving yourself around but you get worse at moving others/external objects around. Don't act like calisthenics is superior to weightlifting in any way, each has their strengths and weaknesses, a "functional strength" routine would involve a mix of both (including barbell lifting for upperbody) while avoiding excessive machine work.
OP
IS
A
AG.