Running Thread

Didn't see one, so running thread.

Discuss running in all its forms such as starting out, marathons, road, off-road. Also equipment, such as run-tracking watches/apps, headphones, trainers, etc.

Attached: 1200-woman-running-outside_1.jpg (1200x718, 251K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fellrnr.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OP Here, looking for recommendations on good bluetooth headphones to go running with.

How much time does the heat and humidity add to your run?

It's been in the 80s here, with high humidity, and it has added a full 1.5 minutes per mile to my 10k times, compared to when it's in the mid 60s or lower.

>6 weeks in.
>Stress fracture
>6 weeks off
>Repeat

How do I break the cycle? I get better at running distance but my body falls apart to the degree that I worry if I chase the bus I will go to the hospital. Is that just what being a runner feels like? Also I say stress fracture because
>it hurts if I hop on it
>It gets no better after warmup
>Highly localized pain

If you think I misdiagnosed tell me why you think so.

ease the fuck off! let yourself build up to it. pushing yourself is good, but dont go to the extremes!

anyone have any infographics on sprints? my 50m is a lousy 12.17 and i want to improve. how should i work sprints into my routine??

Check your shoes. Go to a running store and have them examine your gate. Are you heel striking? Also what type of surface are you running on? I would avoid concrete / sidewalk pavement if you can and run on the road itself (in the bike lane). Also strengthen your fucking legs. I assume you somewhat lift considering you're on Jow Forums. Focus on barbell lunges and bulgarian split squats. There's also some good band work you can do. Finally, make sure you do some mobility prep before going into a run. Also no matter what, always start slow as fuck. If you're doing sprints, start with a 10min warm up run or honestly even walk. Going balls out as soon as you leave the door will make your legs very angry at you. Not what being a runner feels like. The worst injuries I get these days are rolling my ankle on a tree root trail running like a dumbass.

>I assume you somewhat lift considering you're on Jow Forums.
Oh no.

...surely your 50m isn't 12.17? Do you mean 100m?

Been running for a long time, even did a hill marathon once. But I'm an amateur, and never had training. I just started running on my toes. My calves and ankles are growing like mad. Never experienced anything like this. It's like 6 months of running compressed to 4 weeks. I can't recommend running on your toes enough.

Why would you post a picture of someone heel striking, RIP Knees

I ran my first 5k (on a track), 35:30

jaybird x3

My shoes are really shit. They were some hand me down minimalist running shoes with holes in them but I got rid of them after this last attempt. I don't heel strike. I might even excessively land on my toes because I learned it running barefoot (poorfag) I want new shoes but I don't know if that is in the cards. I know the long term value is good but the upfront cost is prohibitive.

Good job user! Just keep at it. Strive for consistency over speed. Just keeping pushing that distance out. The speed will come naturally. Then you can start doing some sprint work.

Doctor bills are much more expesnive, you massive regard. A good pair of shoes can be had for less than $100.

If you run barefoot I suggest finding a clear stretch of concrete, try to run on that in a way that is effective and doesn't hurt. Then replicate that in whatever shoes you end up getting.

Ive taken a few weeks off running because im a piece of shit. Used to knock out a 21 min 5k easy. How bad is that time? Im 23

They're free in Canada, you double retarded.

I want to try and run a half marathon next month, how do I fuel myself during the run and how often? I got some gel packs but the nutrition is like 22g carbs of which 12 from sugars.

Grow a beard. Go to a shoe store in a neighboring city. Try on lots of shoes, price shouldn't matter. Tie them nice and snug then run out of that shop and don't look back.

My hs jrotc team did about that and we had to carry a guy who fell. 10 minute mile is shit tier.

?
Thats closer to a 7 minute mile friend. 5k=3.2miles

I did my first ever 5k on a track a few days ago. I didn't bother timing it as I was just concentrating on getting around without stopping, which i managed to do,but it was murder. Great sense of achievement, I'm in my 40s and that was probably the longest I've ever run without stopping in my life.

>come home from 2.5mi run yesterday
>get heat rash on inner thigh
shit sux, I'm putting ice on it is that enough
at least it's already better than yesterday

Also what's a reasonable way to progress to 2 miles under 14 minutes if I'm at ~25 minutes right now. My best run I didn't time properly but it was probably closer to 20 minutes. I had pizza the night before.

haha yeh sory lol. i aint no fucking loser

Attached: 90s miami cool.png (455x455, 293K)

What's the best way to go about doing 2.4km in 10mins or better. Currently I do interval training twice a week for 20mins

any advice for someone looking to buy their first pair of trail runners?

You shouldn't need any food or drink. Pre-hydrate.

My first time trying, I ran 10 miles. Then I went to week 1, day 1 of a beginner running workout, and went through it carefully.

Don't be a fuckup. You are old and falling apart - start acting like it.

Scooby has a 'run your first mile, then a half-marathon' program. Follow it and it will go where it says it does.

running warehouse. Buy a few cheap pairs, exhibiting the differences you value (heel drop or lugs or whatever)

Then stick with what works.

How about you see a doctor? At least take some X-rays.

>tfw about to return after 3 weeks of a minor tendon injury
Feels good man. Going to have to take it slow but I can't wait to start running again. I feel so useless doing anything else.

Attached: 1533557315940.png (577x387, 67K)

What kind of running are you doing in general? You probably need to just run more miles and time your miles individually if you can

is running on the spot just as good? I hate exercising in public and have started running on the spot on a yoga pad for about an hour while watching tv, it gets me really tired and makes my leg muscles sore as if I went running for real

Its better than nothing but obviously not as good. Its basically a diferent kind of excercise.

I don't remember now but there are a few scientific papers on it, should be easy to find on Google.
Sorry I can't be more helpful right now but I've seen them.

might as well jump rope at that point

Shit i didnt even read your question properly lmoa I'm too tired

Anyone got experience with plantar fibromas? Any change in shoe or something I should do?

Attached: 1501349254795.jpg (710x320, 42K)

Should i do running or skipping Jow Forums? Not a great runner but i cant really skip for an hour straight .

what are your goals? and why not both?

Just run at night user like I do, I cant stand running in public either with everyone looking at me as they drive by. At night, there's very few cars on the road, at least where I live.

Depends what portion of your sprint is lacking whether it's top end speed, acceleration or holding to the line. Although at 12.17 you'll need to work on everything and technique

Look up running drills online. Brian Mac has a half decent program, it's pretty basic but it'll do if you're just getting into it

How hard is to qualify for the boston marathon? As a slow ass beginner who runs a 10k in 55 minutes would it be unrealistic to hope to qualify 5 years from now? Also how the fuck do people run with random normies cheering them on? My HR would break 200. Maybe I should just get into trail running. It seems less congested.

Attached: 1507023064400.png (645x729, 27K)

Read that they have poor Bluetooth signal strength?

Avoid thick shoes and heel-strikes. Try to do 180 steps/minutes. I can run 100 mile weeks on pavement in very thin sandals/shoes. I hade similare problems like you when i ran in thick shoes.

Why would you run on your toes?

Is couch25k a good plan to follow? I just wanna be able to run

I want to complete an ironman triathlon

Nobody notices you. And if they do they don't give two seconds thought to it. Just go out and run

I've never ran in shoes before. Discuss.

>tfw have to get up at 5:00 to run when it's only 80 degrees

fucking California, all these fires aren't helping the air quality either. should I even run outside when breathing the outside air is equivalent to smoking 5 cigarettes?

but anyways once this all blows over, how quickly will I see improvements in my resting heart rate? It's 70-80 right now and I don't like feeling my heart pounding when I'm just sitting there. how quickly will I see results if I'm running regularly? a few weeks?

is there some kind of comprehensive running archive site not geared to basic bitch basedrunners like swimming has with ruthkazez?

There is a fellrnr.com

that should cut it for now, thanks user

>he needs to listen to music while running

Attached: Girls laughing after workout.jpg (363x331, 168K)

>running on your toes
Enjoy your eventual achilles tendonitis.

I've trained to run 5km recently and I can do it in a little under half an hour. Because I'm a weak-willed, unmotivated loser I've been using a treadmill almost exclusively. What's the best way to improve my time? Just crank the speed up a notch each time I run?

Attached: neat (18).jpg (1280x1600, 953K)

>>I hate exercising in public

Same, that's why I do high rep deadlifts with a heavy bowling ball at home. It's almost the same as going to a gym but I don't have to be around people.

The book "Daniels Running Formula" is more or less the gold standard in the running world for babby's first serious attempt at getting good (or at least not bad) at running.

yes. 30 minute is a bad time for a 5k, but it's great for a beginner.

Real talk do you carry a weapon with you or anything?

Two guns wherever I go

Attached: Scott-Steiner.jpg (642x361, 34K)

What’s a good running program to complement lifting? I finished C25K with about 8min mile average, considering sticking to trying to improve 5k time. Don’t really want to get into distance running.
Reason I started thinking about it was because I talked to a PT (it was a free session I wanted to take advantage of I promise) when I signed up for a new gym for summer break. He asked if I’d cut down on the running because it’d just burn muscle mass. I know this is stupid because I can just eat at a surplus and add 300cal after still to makeup the running calories.
But it got me thinking I’m looking for something complementary to my lifting, not marathoning.
HIIT seems interesting but trying to look it up gives a million different descriptions about it, I need an actual program

See

You can train for 5k without really doing heavy mileage. HIIT is exponentially more effective and less likely to result in joint damage or overtraining if it's supported with at least some degree of base mileage.

gonna try to break mile pr (4:56) tomorrow. Wish me luck anons. Hopefully these 400 repeats are worth it.

I’ve found whenever I decide to take up running for a few weeks my limiting factor during a run very quickly becomes a sharp pain near the bottom of my ribcage, rather than my breathing or leg strength.
Feels kinda like my lungs are poking my ribs when inflating. Is this just a normal thing? I’ve done a couple 5Ks but nothing more, so I’m inexperienced about what happens when running for long periods of time.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch

it's fairly common. in my country we call it "the donkey's pain"

those go away eventually. keep running.

Focus on good form (stand all, breathe with your steps [I do 3:3 inhale/exhale on easy/long runs], run relaxed without tensing your arms, back or abdomen).

I used to have problems with this when I first started and when I focused on good, measured form, it went away.

Jesus I was legit concerned there, 12.17 50m lmao

Cardio doesn't eat gains, does it? I'm only jogging 10K on off days and 5K after lifting. These jogs are fasted and I don't eat breakfast for another 4-5 hours.

so you're running every day? your joints need rest, my man

Why are you doing them fasted if you're afraid of losing mass?

>He doesn't know that music is scientifically proven to improve your work out

Cardio IS the gains. Speed and distance is the goal. If you think otherwise, you're in the wrong thread.

music won't always be available. don't rely on something that is unreliable.

I was told I was doing babby cardio and that I didn't need to worry about that too much.
My schedule is fucked, I'm on an 18:6 IF, eat/jog in the afternoon, and eat about 5 hours later before bed. I'm currently cutting and losing about a lb a week--I'm just worried that those lbs are muscle.

What have your workouts looked like?

Hard but not impossible.
I started with the same time or maybe 52-53.
Two months after that I did my first 10k under 50 minutes (in training).
2 months after that I did my first marathon (above 4hours).
8 months after that I did my second one around 3h35.
That was like 4 years ago; I am better in the distance but all my marathon attempts ended up with me failing and best is 3h29.
Best 5k is under 20'00
Best 10k is 42'
Best half is 1h35 during a marathon

I need to up my volume and intensity significantly for a longer period of time.

Running is really a shit tier way of exercising. I've been doing this for years now and it still feels like after every tough run some part of my legs is falling apart or just sore and I have to take rest days all the time.

Depends on what kind of gains you're looking for.

Mass? Make sure you're replacing calories and you'll be fine.

Strength? Same as above, with the caveat to make sure you're doing your strength stuff first so you maximize what you can do in the gym first.

Athleticism? Cardio is pretty much a necessity, and is equally as important as strength, along with explosiveness.

[Citation needed.]

>tfw returning from an injury and want to start cross training but am too ashamed to go to the gym just to use the stationary bike
How do I stop being a faggot?

>>How do I stop being a faggot?

You stop being a faggot, you go to the gym, you get on the bike, and you put the work in. Being ashamed or worried that people are going to judge you is literally fat-people tier logic.

t.Doesn't do any research and just stomps 4 times a week

mostly 8x400 @1:112-1:15 for each 400 with 90 sec rest. I've also done 4x800 @ 2:27-2:30 with 4 minute rest and 12x200 @ 35-37 with 200 meters of jogging in between each one.

Had it for years as a kid. Running cured it.

Re-read my post.

Don't run on your fucking toes. Terrible advice that you would never hear from any serious runner.
If some noob running 8 minutes miles forces himself to run on his toes I guarantee it will result in injuries.

You can improve your running form naturally by doing drills and strengthening exercises. Over time this will result in a smother motion with higher cadence and landing on the mid to forefoot. Do not force it. It has to come naturally.

Do you drink water during long runs? I'm going to run 13 miles around the city tomorrow but I also hate carrying shit around. I like just being with myself and no dumbass items to lug around. I am concerned that I will need water, especially around mile 9 or so. Any work around here?

Yeah I am a heavy sweeter . So I have to carry water or I'll get light headed by mile 6 ( even sooner on a really hot day). Running packs are extremely overpriced so if I were you I would just get a cheap waist pack unless you still consider that "carrying shit around" . It's just one water bottle bro. Or just get a soft water bottle, those are easy to carry by hand.

This

going to BASIC training soon so i'll need to be able to run for a solid 20 minutes straight covering 2 and a half miles in that time

any tips on building endurance? went out today and was only able to keep up for about 3 minutes of running, just gradually increase my time every run? and is there is a specific running stance? i've been running mostly heel-toe with my arms going back and forth kinda like the flash

I do bi-daily 10km/6.2 mile runs, and I carry with me a 9dl/30oz bottle. Its pretty much exactly what I feel I need on those runs

When I run, particularly long distance but also in every sport I play, I get serious calf ache not long into it. I've done a little bit of research and I think that maybe my laces are too tight and my shoes are just choking my feet, so i'm looking at getting some elastic laces.

But my calves are generally pretty weak and small, so maybe there's a muscle issue too, is this something anyone else has gone through?

What are some good exercises for improving leg strength/endurance? I've been running 5x a week for the past several weeks, and on the longer runs my legs start to die by the halfway point

Are you sure your actual shoes are good enough?

How to calculate distances?

Just ordered a pair of Hoka Arahi 2. Can’t wait for them to show up. Never run in Hokas before.

Well I have different shoes for different sports and this is a common theme across all of them, I dont think its the shoes desu