Wrestling

>I tried this thread on sports and got no replies so I thought we’d have some former high school/collegiate wrestlers here
Any tips for an extremely short wrestler (5’4”) going into his sophomore year. Freshman year was my first year and I used to test the water and see what works for me. I’d like to stop relying on jap whizzers and hiptosses and shoot more. What are good setups that help a shorter athlete negate the range of tall wrestlers? Oh also if it helps I’m probably going 138-145 this season it depends on how much more bulky I’ll get during football.
And so the mods don’t snipe my thread, best lift for grappling sports?

Attached: 6757F7D1-7897-4EA6-8AFF-0F5D1AF66139.png (800x800, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n2ZdZ-JiiUw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bite the testicles

Will try, 10/10

Former state champ, at 220 tho. My favorite setup was to underhook the opponents shoulder and get them moving towards me or away it doesn’t matter. I would throw my shoulder over my head effectively opening them up for an easy single leg/ high crotch.
I always wrestled close, using circular motion with my arms to push and pull to open up a shot. Eventually you can break away and fake you are stepping in close again just to drop to a low ankle shot.
Point is, I was a lot shorter than a lot of kids I wrestled, doesn’t matter as long as your style adapts for that

Pull ups are best for wrestling. If you can do a lot of pull-ups, you essentially would be able to snap someone from there feet to the ground if you have a big dick about it

Lifts: pullups, deadlift, and shrugs in that order
Moves for negating height:
Outside blast double. Set it up with a direction change and blow past them.
If they got long ass arms hit a flyby.
And never underestimate what a good headsnap can do. Just remember to use full body to direct their motion, not just ur hands.
t. National level wrestler at 145&170lbs

>best lift for grappling sports?
do some olympic lifts, also hip thrusts

I wrestled 171 at 6' so usually got people 6" shorter than me. It means there's no way in hell I'm shooting. 90% of my takedowns were front headlocks and slidebys and I always rode legs.

Hope that helps from the other side. Also: lol manlet

shoot reshoot dawg, duckwalk a lot and learn to SPRINT on your knees
also firecarry/dump

Any advice for a wrestler who's strong but not very skilled? I'm a beginner in wrestling but I'm pretty strong for my weight, are there any setups where I can outmuscle the other guy

stop trying to outmuscle the other guy and get better instead

Here's some solid advice.

You're young and need to just focus on mastering the basics.

Find a wrestler you look up to and study the way he wrestles.

Pick one move you are good at, or want to be good at, and just master that one move.
John smith was a master of the low leg single, he was so good ppl knew he was going to do it, but still couldnt defend against it.

Work on your grip strength.

Wrestle in as many tournaments you can
More wredtling experience = better wrestler.

Be relentless. Shooting, reshooting, constantly moving. this requires a lot of endurance so work on that.

If you want to wrestle in college, you can. Just have to be committed to the sport.

>revs engine
>guys that wrestle?? mmmmm don't wanna mess with them

Attached: 259f43a52f7236efd0666fc3a1168126.jpg (365x450, 35K)

Best lifts for wrestling? Pull ups. Hands down. Curls are good too. Also remember that whenever your opponent gets too tricky you can always sumo the bitch out the mat because you lift

not a wrestler but a judoka , well what I cand advice you that i think it can work in wrestling too is to use your low center of gavity for hip tosses and pick ups , ive seen short guys pullin amazing shit agains taller oponents at tournaments , also dont pick a lot of techniques just pick 3 max 5 techs that you like and work them to death and work o how to set the up too until performing them is second nature

alson pendley rows if you have good explosive rowing power you can rip them of their feet

>138-145
oh shit that's me. i was rather skinny for a 138 though so take whatever i say with a grain of salt.
all of the short kids would kick my ass because they all could attack my center of gravity really easily. for some good shit, look at what coach wester does with the body leveraging stuff. keep your head up when you shoot too and pick a point past their body to shoot for. every single time i shot i imagined that i was shooting about a foot or two past them, and that one difference literally was the only difference between me getting dead last at the tournament before and getting second place in the tournament after.
also good lifts are literally anything to do with legs. where does power from a shot come from? legs. mat return? legs. almost any kind of move after a shot? legs.
hope this helps user

Grappleniggers belong on /asp/
Jow Forums is a muay thai board

Attached: a0791926495b9a50360bcc356633a64c.jpg (600x871, 66K)

Hey I was nationally ranked as a senior, 2x champ from a small state.

Cut your man in half. Attack half his body with your whole body.

>Get dominant head position
Your forehead, his temple, on the side you wanna shoot.
>Now get past that arm
Arm drag from the wrist is my favorite but there are lots of things you can do
>Enjoy your wide open leg
This basic formula works for either side, high-crotch side (far) or single side (near). Be able to shoot both depending on which he leads.

Double leg = high crotch for this, setup-wise they're basically the same, same step, head to the same spot

>newfag watched a tony jaa movie
christ get your thaiaboo ass out of here

Hey OP here, I’d like to thank everyone who commented, it meant a lot that you guys took time out of your day to respond to my questions.

*elbows you and flying knees away*

Don’t try to clinch up with us homie

Alright fine muay thai is goat but wrestling is pretty cool so I will help you a little.
youtube.com/watch?v=n2ZdZ-JiiUw
This guy has done some good wrestling breakdowns.
I also like bjjscout but the majority of his stuff is bjj and mma related.
Cary kolat has volumes of clear, concise technique videos, and he recently announced that he was going to open up his site for free.
Good luck fella. Hope you don't get ringworm, my bjj coach at the time told me to chemical burn it with toilet bleach for days and that fucking sucked. Better than staph though.

You just want to put me in par terre don't you you homo

Nah I’m just tryna oil check you ;) no homo tho

Lurking this thread. Please continue, wrestle anons.

Attached: Islam Makhachev Pulls Off Russian Tie Snap.webm (718x402, 1.88M)

how do i get into wrestlling or grappling if im 23 lanklet and ive never done the shit before

*google MMA gyms and ask if they have grappling classes or just partake in all the curriculum

*google BJJ/wrestling school and try a free class

See which teachers mesh with your learning style, schedule and budget

Attached: arm shuck collar shrug to back.gif (410x228, 3.08M)

I'm also a young wrestler, thank you to everyone commenting. Former wrestlers please dump any of your knowledge

*blocks with other elbow and then jumps in the air, twists, and strikes you in the face with my ass in true muay boran style*
Nice try, kid. But you're one hundred years too early to challenge me.

what the fuck happened there

appreciate ya guy, im pretty stoked to try this

Attached: 1489346229533.jpg (728x728, 491K)

never wrist grab an aikidoka

A lot of good high level wrestling is what aikido wishes what it could be, the difference is you have athetes that train, drill and spar against resisting opponents that develop the timing and mental awareness how to apply their technique against a resisting opponent,

Where as Aikido focuses so much on kata an ideal situations the people that practice don't develop the muscle memory, reflexes and timing to apply their moves and hence make their art worthless

In terms of technique its a utility move called a snap or you could think of it as a shuck

If you watch it loop he has his grip on the neck and wrist . that neck grip is called a neck high collar tie and he is putting a lot of weight onto the kids neck. By instinct the kid. Wants to keep his head up an is pushing upwards with his neck. So when he pushes up with his neck he lets go. An then whips the wrist around in judo they call this kuzushi or a moment of off balance. Now why is he dribbling on the neck like he grips and grips that is keeping the moment of off balance going. No way this was stage or like put in an aikido kata

DC shows another slick aikido like move/shuck/throw by

In judo its called kumi kata/grip fighting, wrestlers will refer to this as a subset of pummeling/hand fighting

Attached: DC wrist tie go to arm drag throw by.webm (600x338, 1.48M)

The point of Aikido and "what it wishes for" isn't to win fighting competitions.

Retard.

Attached: throw by kyle snyder.gif (500x281, 2.94M)

Attached: drilling hip low level change budge drill.gif (500x281, 1.95M)

Who /mixedwrestling/ here? how do I find a girl willing to wrestle?

Attached: mongol wrestling shuck.gif (500x302, 2.7M)

Attached: duck under iowa state vs virgina tech.gif (500x362, 1.94M)

Attached: super duck fargo.gif (500x362, 2.42M)

>blocks an elbow with another elbow
BROTHER!

Attached: duck under to back 2pts.gif (500x300, 1.9M)

Attached: duck under sumo.gif (371x209, 1.56M)

Attached: duck under.gif (500x265, 1.66M)

Attached: shooting duck under or super duck.gif (500x231, 937K)

Attached: duck under vladimer khinchegashvili.gif (500x247, 1.48M)

Attached: duck under benson henderson.gif (500x201, 1.99M)

Attached: wrestling for MMA double to duck under to corner turn chain.webm (1280x720, 1.85M)

Twister! Twister!
>inb4 guillotine

Attached: bjjblackbelt.jpg (374x379, 34K)

Wish i could help you bud but I was a HWT most of my career.

What is your expected wet weight? I suspect you could cut to 132 or even 126. Also get real familiar with rolls. Short stout guys are nightmares if they know how to roll. I learned to ride legs as a hwt just to stop them.

Not that guy, but aikido's great weakness is exactly what that guy said. Ueshiba could train competent aikidoka ( his earlier students anyway ) because they were already good in combat arts. Its funny that they generally couldnt train very useful students. His sons had managerial skill, but they never learned how to fight by their own choice, so the main organization ended up to be a larpfest. Not to mention Ueshiba started to become detatched from practicality near the end.

mat wrestling is always underrated within the HS level of folk style and just in martial arts in general
the mat wrestling you learn might be basic like running a half or cradle but it has so much combat utility and dont get me started. Teach a high schooler how to ride and they can end most other kids trying to fight them

Attached: illegal arm in choke out.webm (640x360, 2.87M)

not illegal

Ankle picks all day my dude

choking is illegal and can be punished with a technical

What should the conditioning/lifting focus be on in GR?

Choking illegal but there is a certain grey zone that athletes and coaches exploit , you can do front headlocks, etc and crank on them to work your tilts, etc you just can't squeense and actively attack the neck in a threatening motion, factor in a lot of refs not well versed in submissions and you do have people sneak in a choke every now and then, then it becomes a whole lawyer debate thing about interpreting the rules

Attached: illegal choke Roman Vlasov bozo starcevic 75 kg rio 2016.webm (800x450, 2.94M)