What makes Ghibli movies so beautiful?

What makes Ghibli movies so beautiful?

Do you think this will die with the death of Miyazaki, or will studio ghibli continue to make high quality movies?

Attached: characterartgalleryphoto_1000000599.jpg (1080x1350, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XpwbNYFvZy4
youtube.com/watch?v=_2KjCViFbRI
youtube.com/watch?v=pxh-IjxG2KY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>beautiful
It's all about the backgrounds.
>continue
no

They're anime Disney. Bad.
Watch real jap toons.

Like Astro Boy, amirite?

Attached: 46397_anime_scenery_studio_ghibli.jpg (1920x1024, 172K)

REAL ANIME COMING THROUGH
youtube.com/watch?v=XpwbNYFvZy4

They are beautiful because they put lot of work into animation. If only they were good in other aspects.

Well, Miyazaki already left once, so maybe it'll continue even after his death.
They're good because they're a studio that moves on its own, which means that they can release a movie every few years and come up with ideas without having someone telling the staff to realease something every few months with a bunch of deadlines and killing the creativity.
They have an idea, they discuss it, and the movie can be in development for as long as it needs to be, without someone pushing them to deliver something before next month.

the art is one thing but ghibli is very good at capturing nostalgia and the feeling of childhood wonder in their films. i dont think the films will be quite the same after miyazaki dies unfortunately. if they continue with the same theme/quality people will just complain they're ripping off/riding on the coattails of the og and if they change it up they'll complain that ghibli isnt ghibli anymore

Have you guys seen Mary and the Witches Flower, by studio Ponoc? Studio Ponoc is in many ways Ghibli's successor - even if the Ghibli brand doesn't live on after Miyazaki's death I think his animators will be able to create movies with a similar vision

What?! No. Like Konosuba

He knows how to use lolis in a way normies will accept. lolis are always king so that part is easy

They're pretty looking shit for normalfags. Some of Miyazaki's work is great like Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke but most of it is vastly overrated.

I think you are just being contrarian

most normalfags don't watch anything anime related, including ghibli

And how can you watch Spirited Away and deny that its a quality movie, the reason it's popular despite being anime is because it's so good

no i havent, ill have to check it out thank you. yeah im not delusional to believe that miyazaki is a one man army and im sure ghibli has tons of talented people but he does have a great vision that im hoping as rubbed off on his coworkers

Nostalgia, and Joe Hisaishi has a lot to do with it. The OSTs is partly what makes Miyazaki's movies so memorable, like Evangelion with Sagisu. All the best anime have top-tier soundtracks

I can see why it could be taken that way but I genuinely do think that Miyazki is really overrated. I don't think he's bad but he's hailed as some sort of God of animation which I think is not an accurate representation of his work. Most of what I see from him seems to try and build an important and moving plot but it falls short and tries to cover it up by making good use of visual direction, the three examples I listed earlier are the ones which I think succeed in being well directed, animated an ahving a decent plot.

Also Ghibli has always had a mainstream appeal, definitely in Japan but internationally following the huge success of Spirited Away and I thought it was well made but it bored the hell out of me. I remember when it came out and people didn't shut up about it for years, it was one of those few anime movies which crossed over into the genuine mainstream of movies in general at that time. I don't know if anything after it had the same level of acclaim but I remember people being excited for Howl's Moving Castle when it was coming out.

As far as talking purely about animation quality, there still isn't an anime movie which has topped Akira. Redline was close though. But both of those movies had quite shitty plots because so much effort and money was made to make them look good.

>there still isn't an anime movie which has topped Akira

Attached: 1523999596670.jpg (2616x2626, 1020K)

EoE isn't animated better than Akira, this is objectively true. I would say it isn't better than Akira in any respect but that's my opinion. I don't even like NGE that much but I'm still waiting to force myself to watch the last one, how have you done this to me Anno.

>there still isn't an anime movie which has topped Akira
If only looking at pure animation quality, I'd say that there's multiple movies that top or are atleast at the same level with it.
Easiest ones that come to mind:
End of Evangelion
Char's Counterattack
5 Centimeters per second
Kimi no Nawa
Madoka Magica Rebellion
Nausica

Not saying that these are better movies than Akira.

>gay moe shit
Shameful.

Attached: 3675843-kenshiro.jpg (1920x1200, 598K)

>EoE isn't animated better than Akira, this is objectively true
Yes. I still think it's a better movie and has a better OST though.
>the last one
It's gonna be shit
In terms of animation quality, EoE and Nausicaa aren't as smooth and visually "fluid" as Akira, I guess Your Name qualifies but 5cmps does not.
You should've mentioned Redline.

>talking purely about animation quality, there isn't an anime that has topped akira
You haven't seen your name yet have you

I didn't think Your Name was as fluid as Akira but then again it's a bit easier for action heavy movies to have impressive looking scenes. I think a lot of movies get away with looking good because of good visual direction rather than actual good animation whereas I think Akira excelled in both.
youtube.com/watch?v=_2KjCViFbRI
youtube.com/watch?v=pxh-IjxG2KY
It's a shame they didn't try to adapt the whole thing over a few movies but I think Akira was the most expensive anime movie when it was made so that would have been impossible.

>It's gonna be shit
They're all shit but I still have to watch it. I don't really remember much of the 2nd or 3rd movie so maybe I'll have to rewatch those before it comes out.

>They're all shit
The first movie was fine though, it was just a recap of the series. But then Anno went full retard.

>it was just a recap of the series
I know, but since the first half of Death & Rebirth was also a recap I was hoping we wouldn't have to have more of that shit.

Saw it at the cinema. Not great DESU.

Even the series wasn't great

I seriously don't get the acclaim for evangelion

There are so many more anime that have better pacing, better story, better animation, """deeper""", honestly what does evangelion even have going for it

They stopped production when Miyazaki retired, so if he isn't making movies then neither is Ghibli.

They are only similar to Disney in that they are both the most popular studios of their countries.

They have good background art and music.

They had schedules and budgets too. Takahata liked to go over schedule and budget.

You are trying too hard.

You either get it or you don't, it's fine

Did anyone else see Napping Princess last year?

NGE overall was pretty good in terms of story, animation, voice acting and OST, it just went a bit mad during the last couple of episodes. Everyone knows it's an almost complete rip off of Space Runaway Ideon and Devilman and both of those are pretty good (Ideon can be a bit boring at times) so it's got a decent framework to build on. It was also quite different for it's time so that was something.

I agree that it's been overhyped a lot though.

Any anime that bears even the slightest resemblance to anything else is now a "ripoff."

>Like Astro Boy, amirite?

No real japanese cartoons are about underage girls tripping and accidently showing their panties

I was just about to post this comment because I really enjoyed that movie and it really capture the "ghibli vibe" for me.
Hoping to see more from Studio Ponoc in the future

Apart from the fact that NGE is literally a rip off of Space Runaway Ideon, even the fucking ending and movie. It's not a coincidence, Anno and Sadamoto themselves were worried that people would notice the obvious similarities.

Calling anything a ripoff has no credibility anymore.

These movies are pretty overrated.

Mononoke is good, and Nausicaa is cool. But Totoro basically has no sotry and no dialogue. Castle in the Sky is pretty barebones and boring.

Totoro has a story and dialogue, and I have no idea what is supposed to make Laputa "barebones."

Castle in the Sky is just a worse Nadia

Oops. Meant Howl's Moving Castle.

I said Totoro has basically no story; and very little dialogue. It's fucking boring. Spirited Away is overrated, too.

You sound like a brainlet desu.

If that's your only retort, you're the fucking 'brainlet'.

You are basically saying that anything that isn't full of action is boring and nothing happens.

That's nothing, watch Bible Black

>bible black
>post number contains 666
hmmmm

Attached: 6ad19dee98b7c9a10fd17fcc9b681153.jpg (1920x1080, 158K)

I thought it was amazing until halfway through when all the plot arcs came together into a nonsensical fucking mess.