/fast/ - #313 - New Improved Diabetus Edition

FAQ
>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>What’s the difference between intermittent fasting, water fasting, dry fasting, etc.?
>Intermittent fasting: Fasting for a certain amount of time with a short eating window. 16:8 (16 hours fasting, 8 hour eating window) is the bare minimum.
>Water fasting: Fasting with only water.
>Dry fasting: Fasting with no water. Dangerous, use with caution.

>Why should I fast?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/wiki/studies
idmprogram.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/
Read all of these, they might answer some other questions you may want to ask.

>Can I fast if I have ___?
See your doctor before fasting if you:
>Have any sort of chronic illness
>Have gout
Don’t fast if you:
>Have type 1 diabetes
>Are malnourished/severely underweight
>Are pregnant
>Are breastfeeding

>How do I safely do an extended fast?
Take snake juice, or just supplement electrolytes.
>2000mg of sodium (preferably Himalayan Pink Salt) max
>4700mg of saltless potassium max
>Mix these in a liter of water and sip it throughout the day.
The apple cider vinegar and lemon are optional.
You can also do this if you feel lightheaded, weak, dizzy, nauseous, etc., on shorter water fasts. Don’t do this while intermittent fasting.

>Won’t I go into starvation mode?
No. It only occurs at extremely low body fat (8-10%).

>Will (something with calories) break my fast?
Yes, headass.

>Can I drink coffee, tea, and diet soda? Or anything with artificial sweeteners?
You can do whatever the fuck you want. We recommend avoiding those, sweeteners especially.

>Do I need a multivitamin?
No

Check this out:
youtube.com/watch?v=evGFWRXEzz8

and Remember: NO EATING

Attached: Diabetus.jpg (480x360, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aEuHu5zjQPk
idmprogram.com/cephalic-phase-response-hunger-fasting-18/
discord.gg/SCxbrS
idmprogram.com/fasting-physiology-part-ii/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Previous thread

> inb4 Grandpa OMAW bullshit

Attached: because this post gave me cancer anyway.jpg (474x489, 79K)

Daily reminder to drink shitloads of black coffee

youtu.be/aEuHu5zjQPk

I have a question about the keto diet.
If ketones are so superior to glucose. Why does the brain does everything in its power to not use it?
Is it just an emergency fuel to make you smarter and find food? Would it really make sense to run on "emergency mode" all the time?

everything in nature goes way of least resistance and changing glucose to energy is much more easier than ketones to energy, so your lazy body goes for easy shit first and hard shit in emergency

I dropped 7lbs since yesterday, I haven't even been peeing a lot. What the fuck happened?

Attached: 591.gif (964x912, 1.08M)

buy some new scales bro

It's brand new. But I didn't weigh in the morning, just midday. Though I didn't think it was going to make much of a difference desu

Fasting to help undo a binging week I had that left my body looking wrecked. I'm thinking I'll fast all day today, maybe with a light no carb meal at night, and then move to OMAD like I've done in the last.

i miss grandpa omaw

voodoo, or glycogen.

also change the battery in your scale if its digital and giving odd readings?. alternatively mass yourself three times and take the average.
Just finished Leaf Thanksgiving + bdays, +5lb, fasting fixes it in two days, feels good man.

Attached: face_roll.gif (250x140, 707K)

>Can I drink coffee, tea, and diet soda? Or anything with artificial sweeteners?
>We recommend avoiding those, sweeteners especially.

Why?
Don't reference clinical studies for one topic and then make a health claim about something else without first looking at its clinical studies. Saccharine has had many studies done on it and there's never been any evidence that it's unhealthy except when taken in insanely enormous amounts for a prolonged period of time. Stevia is in the same boat and a "natural" alternative if that sounds more appealing for some reason.
And no, the body isn't somehow tricked into raising insulin levels when you consume artificial sweeteners.

>I dropped 7lbs since yesterday, I haven't even been peeing a lot. What the fuck happened

>voodoo, or glycogen.

I'm going to go with "Dodgy Scales" or "Uneven flooring"

idmprogram.com/cephalic-phase-response-hunger-fasting-18/

Not necessarily significant, but the recommendation is no sweeteners for those who are highly insulin resistant as any spike can raise insulin for a prolonged period. For veteran fasters or lifters the artificial sweeteners are likely fine.

Attached: Ni.jpg (400x220, 28K)

I don't know of any evidence for artificial sweeteners raising insulin tricking the brain into releasing.
It'd be like saying that you can eat a really bad tasting piece of food full of sugar and trick the brain into not releasing insulin.

"But, if you are susceptible, then hunger starts in the mind. This is known as the cephalic phase response (CPR). ‘Cephalic’ refers to the brain – so these are measurable physical responses to the suggestion of food and lasts for about 10 minutes."

"Of interest, sweetness itself is not sufficient to start the cephalic response. An unflavored artificial non caloric sweetener by itself did not stimulate insulin secretion. However, when paired with flavour, it may start the the cephalic phase, even if the gastric phase does not proceed"

Similar to how smelling food can cause a stomach to growl, so can smells, or even thoughts cause a small insulin response, which is something we want to avoid during a fast.

Artificial sweeteners are fine, but not optimal.

god i love food. i'm going to do omad and plan my favourite meals after this fast. maybe i should stop thinking about this so much.

mmm lovely lovely food.

>so can smells, or even thoughts cause a small insulin response
Not saying this isn't true, but definitely sounds like some shrubbery.
I don't think the vast majority of people need to pay attention to something like that. What's important is what's effective. If using artificial sweeteners means that people are able to stay away from caloric foods for a longer period of time, then people should use artificial sweeteners in order to help them achieve their goals.

I agree, I find it difficult to do a prolonged fast if I use sweeteners personally, so I avoid them. If they help, then use them, compliance is important.

In case anyone wants the /fast discord.

discord.gg/SCxbrS

Attached: punch_robot.gif (400x225, 1.82M)

Couldn't you just fast during the weekend, then have a 4-5k caloric deficit to play with throughout the following week?

Attached: 4cCZFe3RwQ-8[1].png (300x250, 45K)

yeah, it's the 5:2 diet. better than IF, but slower than extended fasting for weight loss. just don't binge, eat normally on your eating days.

I prefer to fast in the week and then have fun on the weekends
Thats what they supposed to be for

Woke up after a 12 hour dry fast and 44 hours of a normal fast and only lost .6 pounds since I weighed myself the previous morning.

Question: Do I need to exercise during the fast to lose fat? I was sedentary (programming) for most of the time.

Attached: 1527198176174.png (234x236, 87K)

226 to 225.4 for reference (5'11)

>do 2 fasts this week w/ omad in between, low carb & low cal
>this morning skin on my face starts peeling off old & new acne scars
holy shit autophage is real!!!

wtf is this shit? 1/2 a pound is one piss in the bathroom. Why not try fast dry and snake juice for several different periods then track your weight loss for each then report back. I have a hard time telling if most posters on here are trolls or are actually retarded.

Attached: 1455054596326.png (277x296, 96K)

Whats your exercise routine while drinking snake juice? Will walking do for now as you get used to a new routine?

I assume snake juice is only for those exercising heavily/sweating heavily and not casual exercise or none at all

snake juice is recommended for any fast over 72 hrs.

The snake juice basically supplements electrolytes so you dont feel like shit during long term fasts and reduces the risk of heart failure and reduces the effects of refeeding syndrome.

I do a hour of basketball (drill work/form shooting) on fasting days, I drink about a liter extra of snake juice for a total of 3 liters. You can get away with 1.5 - 2 liters if you arent doing heavy exercise but omitting snake juice completely is not recommending. Not only will you feel like shit (nausea, headaches, moodiness) but there's a real chance you fucking die if you go too long. Look at google and search water fasting deaths, all those faggots didnt use snake juice.

If you are doing 24s or 48s, you could skip the snake juice as long as you feel good and are getting enough salt and potassium from your veggies on your eating days.

Fuck off trip fag

Sweeteners give some people a fucking huge craving for anything. I once drank a Coke Zero before sleeping, and ended up having a dream where I was gnawing at a chair's leg. That's just how huge the craving is.

>exercise during fast
Just don't do heavy exercise (no running, sprinting, etc), or you'll be sorry.

hahaha, no

Attached: ainsley2.jpg (603x368, 34K)

Why? I usually do my lifting on my fasted days

I miss the guy that hates the guy that misses the guy that misses grandpa omaw

So for someone who performs no activity and sits in an office all day can get away with consuming snake juice and see results?

Ive been doing 72s so far while eating a large potion of carrots broccoli etc with either salmon or beef on the side. Feeling better than I was before the routine but I assume Im not taking full advantage of it due to no exercise. I recently added short walks to help

I drink a liter of snake juice a day with slow sips and a smaller portion of salt with max potassium. Im not sure if any results are to be expected but I can definitely say i feel better than before. No more bloated or sick feeling

yes you will see results with very little activity while doing a prolonged fast, its far from optimal but it will work. Prolonged fasting actually increases BMR and is protein sparing, the larger you are the more protein sparing occurs.

Dr.Fung has 37+ posts in the series that can explain the mechanisms of action if you are interested.

You can do what you want. But it's not good for fasting. Dont deceive yourself

I hate the cunt that misses the guy that hates the guy that misses the guy that misses grandpa omaw

Hey, ill miss you too

I'm pretty sure I read that after 72 hours is when your body goes into ketosis? Is it possible to go into it sooner? I was IF fasting for a few days before my water fast but eating very small meals, like 2 eggs and a piece of toast and that was it for the day. I'm currently about 56 hours into my first ever WF and just kind of surprised at how little hunger I'm feeling.

Ketosis can start as soon as 48hrs, but largely depends on the glycogen stores in your liver.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is that potentially something to be worried about or should I just take it as a blessing and push on. I've been a sedentary lardass before this so just a little concerned about what this might do but I'm honestly feeling great.

72 hours will mean pretty much any person will be in ketosis after this time, which means the liver will be producing ketone bodies and you will be burning fat.

Keto adaptation can take up to two to three weeks where your skeletal muscle, the brain and the majority of organs are running on ketone bodies.

If you take electrolytes, fasting is quite safe for even extended periods, take your time and research. If you feel awful, have a lower carb/ zero carb refeed and start again. The discord is a good support mechanism if you have particular questions.

Attached: lost_dog.jpg (1080x1047, 40K)

Not even. It’s taken me 5 days to get into ketosis before. If you ate tons of carbs and sugar, be prepared for a wait before ketosis happens. Ketosis doesn’t occur at a set time. It occurs when you’ve run out of glycogen.

Alright bois. Posting super rare Chinese Pepe for luck. I’m 4 days 5 hours into water fast. Hoping to get to 7 days.

Attached: 754034A0-D6F9-40B2-BF9D-4618ED0C5109.jpg (750x1334, 150K)

>finally build up the courage to ask my doctor if I can fast
>he says no

Attached: TheUltimateFeel.gif (323x386, 1.66M)

asking your doctor about fasting when the majority of doctors have less than 70 hours of nutritional training in their entire schooling.

Do your own research.

Attached: Christopher_lloyd_realize.gif (200x198, 420K)

Thank you guys. Since starting here I've decreased a full dress size and my appetite is dramatically decreased. I've eliminated most of the chub I wanted to. Really I have no complaints at all. Started on ADF and transfered to OMAD after most cravings were eliminated. Now I eat a light breakfast and a light lunch and am never really hungry. As it should be.
It's a great way to break all your bad habits and reset your appetite to an appropriate maintenance level.

Attached: 71112342_p0_master1200.jpg (1200x700, 742K)

grats user! went from 38-40" > 32" myself.

He's my neurologist so I figured he'd be pretty reliable

ask him about ketogenic diets and their use in the treatment of epilepsy. Fasting is keto on steroids, some strong effects on physiological anxiety disorders as well.

talk to an endocrinologist or..... a nephrologist, like Dr, Fung.

Attached: skeletor_live.jpg (589x767, 103K)

Yes! I started at size 6, now a 4 fits on the loose side. The chub rub problem is totally eliminated as well. Main victory is that all desire to eat outside of true hunger is totally defeated.
so six inches, that's a lot of chub now gone? she said.
We are all gonna make it.

Attached: 71117111_p0.jpg (800x1131, 1.07M)

fasting is the best ;)

Attached: artifacting_marmite.gif (345x260, 2.83M)

Will do, thanks man

Thanks going look into it this evening. What are your recommended workout/activity during 72 or 96 snake fasting?

>water fast

If its plain water please stop and drink snake juice instead

It varies from person to person, while hard cutting I do long walks and swimming. Heavy compounds once a week, going to do a split once goal BF% is reached. The discord has a DYEL channel if you want to speak with more serious fasted lifters.

Well if your Dr. said no, you better stay fat. He is the expert. Enjoy all the blood pressure and diabeetus medications.

Attached: 1470787574108.gif (328x238, 3.99M)

I have been fasting for a bit over 48 hours now (only water) and I am not feeling good at all.

I feel sick, get dizzy when I stand up or walk, I can't sleep and I just started uncontrollably shaking 1 hour ago.

Is there something wrong with me? Should I stop?
I

yes, stop, do not fast on water alone. Add 1/2 tsp of salt to a litre of water and sip it. Have a small snack, avoid sugar/carbs.

When fasting make some 'snake juice' which is 1/2 tsp of both potassium and sodium chloride in 1 L water, sip it during your fast. If you run out, make more. Feeling lightheaded or nauseous is almost always sodium deficiency.

pickles are a good snack if you are low on salt btw, just not the sugary kind.

Broke my fast with In n out & oreos, somehow I'm still well below my intake but now I'm fearing I'll feel like shit later. why do I do this to myself

Attached: best.png (1024x1820, 825K)

If you can't do the snake juice (I honestly can't) just sprinkle some salt in your hand and lick it. Or you can sprinkle some in tea and that somehow makes it more bearable.

It’s ok. Just climb back up on that horse bud. One day at a time. You can do this!

imposter! begone!
do not do this!
this too, the large pink salt crystals are tasty, if you don't like snake juice.

>fatties can’t control themselves so they don’t eat for days
>make up for all of it by binging out
>eventually give up on fasting and gain it all back

When will you retards realize that you’re not gonna lose and keep the weight off until you address the habits that got you fat in the first place? Hint: normal eating is not wrong. Look at all the normies that are fine. Fix your relationship with food

Attached: image.jpg (850x539, 282K)

well thanks for keeping our general bumped i guess :^)

you are a faggot. please kys.

Attached: 1468185938007.jpg (216x288, 18K)

Triggered fatty who wants to do a years work in a week detected. You’ll never be successful

I'll fast again and once I get to the grocers I'll get stuff to make avocado toast (GF bread) + eggs, and some broth too for breaking fasts. This week's just been real hard and we've been hitting up fast food joints, I'm surprised I managed 2 fasts this week.

>t. kellogs spokesman

Attached: 1474918176022.jpg (500x667, 40K)

I know. with a burger and oreos I capped at 600cals today but it's still no excuse.

Attached: skin.png (1280x1600, 1.88M)

Any tips on how to make snake juice less disgusting? I feel like I always plateau in my fasts around 80+ hours because I can't stand the taste of that shit enough to drink a lot of it

Are you making the new recipe with baking soda and epsom salt?

yes

You do realize OMAD is 100% long term sustainable right? My brother has been doing it for 6 years straight

>fatties call their binge eating disorder “OMAD”
Lmaoing @ ur life

Attached: image.jpg (1312x824, 780K)

>Eating 1900 calories in one meal is "binge eating"

I'm 13% body fat at 183. Stay butthurt that we have the ability to fast for 24-36 hours without even feeling hungry. Meanwhile your insulin is so high that you can't go 7 hours without eating LOL

Imagine being this far in denial about your eating issues

It’s ok I’m sure it’ll get better

You're clearly the insecure one since you're coming in here and talking shit rather than enjoying your amazing life

>be faggot
>be such a huge faggot that you waste time creating comments on the gayest board on Jow Forums
>gayer than /lgbt/
>does not even refute the science
>shilling for insulin spikes
how many kellogs shirts do you own? Or are you a post man? Is it hard being this big of a faggot.?

>he thinks not fasting for many days like a retard who gains weight means I’m a carb goblin

I don’t even eat that much carbs. I lift, I add 5lb to my PR every week, according to symmetrical strength I’m proficient, your shitty eating habits are literally mental illness

>5 lbs to PR every week

Either /fraud/ or completely DYEL

Ive been doing intermittent fasting for 4 days and my pants feel noticibly more loose. Either its water weight or this shit is super effective.

I'm going to hit the 72 hour mark of my first water fast tomorrow. A friend I haven't seen in years is in town and wants to get some pizza. What's the chances my ass hole is going to explode if I end my fast that way.

100%. Even Cole admits there's no way around this but its better than being constipated

Fuck, normally I wouldn't care but I got work the next morning and can't exactly spend all day on the toilet.

Neither, thanks for the compliment

I guess starting with light cardio while on snake juice will be a good start right. I guess once I hit a specific weight I can seek lifting

It's not an all day thing, in my experience.
Just one explosive shit.

Either way, your pants are looser. Congrats user, keep up the good work. Try and keep those feeding windows small.

Yea I can confirm this, you'll just shit a splatter style shit like less than a hour after eating but after that you'll be good to go hombre

>Decide to do a 3 day hard dry fast

>Its been 24 hours and feel good as if nothing happen

When am i going to really feel the effects of hard dry fast?

Also, how do people deal with dirty hands? I havent made any contact with water directly and feel disgusted,is using hand sanitizer ok?

Does anyone else just eat a pinch of "no salt" and pink salt mixed in a little cup randomly?

I can't fucking stand the taste of literal saltwater, found doing it this way to be a thousand times more pleasant.

post body