Hey Jow Forums

hey Jow Forums,

18 y.o here. I just got into lifting and my uncle recommended book by pic related. Is he serious? This dude looks like garbage? Am I be trolled.

Attached: images.jpg (275x183, 8K)

>Am I be trolled.
No but we are. kys

He was a fine lifter, back in the day.

Attached: Mark-Rippetoe-Starting-Strength.png (450x499, 231K)

I guess that's what happens when you stop taking steroids...

It's not him

if you want to be really good at squats, pear shaped, and snapped up, go ahead and follow rippetoe's teachings

otherwise maybe just ask someone who looks good at your gym

Would recommend 5/3/1 with bodybuilding work added in. That way, you can get strong and have extra time for becoming thicc since it's easier to recover from the workouts

Starting strength and Stronglifts 5x5 are good beginner programs, but Greyskull Linear Progress are more popular right now. You get a bit disproportionate because you squat and deadlift three times a week, and only alternate overhead press and bench press every work out. So you'll look like a T-Rex, which is kind of cool but the chicks don't like it.
I'd recommend starting on Starting Strength for a month and then change to another program. Then you should've gotten used to the lifts and gained most of the newbie gains. I also recommend adding chins, barbell rows and face pulls, but accessory work is up to you man.

Here’s what will get you bigger, it does require you eat:

Getting your bench from 135-> 225+
Squat 135->315
Deadlift 225->405

That's Doug Young.

There's a reason our mascot is a T-Rex.

Attached: dinosaur.gif (451x75, 21K)

Roger Estep

Don’t listen to any of the retards here, none of them have actually read the book

The book is a reference book, talks a lot about lifting in general, and teaches you the mechanics of lifting and form considerations, and why we do things the way we do them and how to avoid injury. It has 200+ pages discussing the 4 main lifts, with some history of weightlifting thrown in there. The programming part, the part where all the retards on this board and everywhere else have reduced this book to, is less than a dozen pages, and if you actually read it, and understanding it, instead of these uneducated short attention span Neanderthals here, it works well by getting you all the beginner gains you need, safely and with good form. After that you’re an intermediate and have to pick one of the many programs like Texas method or 5/3/1. His diet advice is for hungry skeletons, for everyone else it’s simple, just eat a little more than maintenance.

There is no book out there like this. It’s a must read for anyone serious about lifting. Anyone who says otherwise is not a serious lifter or sub 80 iq

Attached: image.jpg (500x643, 351K)

I've read the book. I even have it on my iPad. I've also watched the DVD.
I still don't think you should do it for longer than a month. Use it to gain newbie gains, and when you plateau after a month, switch programs.

It's a good book for learning basics about lifting and not getting injured.
Wouldn't recommend the SS program at all though. If you insist on doing it only do it for 3 months maximum.

>longer than a month
wat

If you plateau after one month you either have shit form, didn't eat enough, or didn't start as an absolute beginner. 3 months is probably around the average amount of time you'd see a completely untrained person spend on this program. Assuming you started with a 100-135lbs squat on day one, 3 months of successful progress would put you in the low 300s range for reps. If you can only get up to 225 on SS then you should quit lifting now. You're either a complete GDE or an idiot who can't figure out how to perform the lifts. Maybe you should have done something shitty like PPL.

If you only do this program as intended, and treat it as a temporary BEGINNER program, literally none of those things will happen

Its good. Just don't stay on it for years on end like some retards do.

For improving general & functional strength, something simple like this would work.

Upper/Lower, ULxULxx

Upper:
OHP 3x5
Row 3x5
Bench 3x5
Grip exercise

Lower:
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Grip exercise

Grip exercise isolation is important for new lifters because if you don't do it, you will stall on Deadlift when you hit 2.5-3 plates and will slow down on your other lifts.

when will this meme die?
That is Roger Estep

Will 5/3/1 hey you big ir toned?

fpbp
checked

When the first post is also the best post.

Are you lifting to get stronger or look good? Rippetoe is a strength coach, not a bodybuilding coach.
The point isn’t how he looks, or how anyone looks; it’s whether or not his advice gets you stronger at a faster rate than others’.
It’s not Starting Bodybuilding or Starting Weightloss or Starting Aesthetics. Find another program if you want that. This isn’t it.
Your uncle gave you one of the best guides to form and technique there is. If you’re going to skip the fundamentals just because the guy who wrote it is old and fat now, it’s your loss.
But if you do what he says, you'll get stronger. And once you've established a solid base of strength, you can branch out into bodybuilding. Fat comes off pretty easily once you know how.

Attached: 1533952362410.png (1080x1920, 1.84M)

>Posts a picture of the long gone Rich Piana named as Mark.png
Show some respect