Hook grip vs "normal" grip

When did you stop using double overhand grip for DL?

I'm only pulling 250 lb and my grip hasn't failed me yet but I know it will eventually, so i'm wondering when I should start practicing using a hook grip?

Attached: hookd-customs-01jpg-d79caac92d647482_large[1].jpg (432x286, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CyLgClmzTYU
catalystathletics.com/article/1671/Ask-Greg-Trouble-with-the-Hook-Grip/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Around 130 in non amerimutt units. Yes, train hook or mixed grip

switched to reverse grip around the 120-125 kg range, had to start using chalk around 160-165 (~75kg bodyweight for reference).

Hook grip is a meme unless you want to lift competitively.

>he doesn't do rack holds to increase his double overhand grip strength
So far I've built up to holding 355 for 7 seconds.

Attached: 1540019795978.jpg (334x506, 42K)

i probably switched to mixed at 100kg and stayed with it (current pb is 225kg), my double overhand grip just kinda tagged along just by lifting heavier with mixed and doing rows

Just do double overhand on all warm-up sets, then do mixed or hook on your top sets if you have to.

This

This doesn't increase grip strength too much, unless you're holding the weight at the top for time, which I wouldn't advise doing before work sets. Do the holds after the work sets. Do axle bar work if your gym has one. Farmer carries and all that.

I personally track both my mixed and double overhand (hook grip) stats. I've found that hook far and away exceeds double overhand once you become accustomed to it, with mixed slightly better than hook. I'm not sure if my hook will ever catch up/exceed my mixed grip. Perhaps others can shed some light on this.

Attached: 320px-Doryphoros_MAN_Napoli_Inv6011-2.jpg (320x595, 25K)

Am I supposed to switch hands on mixed every few sets to avoid imbalance

Except it literally does. I can double overhand 315 5x5 just from doing them with warmups

I contribute a lot of my forearm size to what you say is ineffective.

You should. People have shown pics of uneven trap development, and I think it was Omar Isuf or maybe Silent Mike who showed in a video of one of their lifts that they windmill slightly, that the side their supinated hand is on struggles a bit more with the weight. Especially with sumo, it'll lead to windmilling and not a straight bar path.

actual double overhand is way harder than hook grip dont taint its name

>he doesn't know

Attached: janoy.png (484x352, 161K)

Enjoy herniating a disc. If you need a grip other than double overhand or need to use straps, your body isn't ready.

Whats the difference exactly?

no, you should not, the amount of imbalance you get from mixed gripping a few deadlift sets a week is very minor compared to all the symmetrical pulling you do for upper back work and i have never seen someone with actual uneven development from deadlifting with a mixed grip

you want to consistently supinate the same hand so that tendon gets exposed to stress more often and adapts (lower your risk of bicep tears), and also your form will differ slightly depending on which hand you supinate and you want consistency

but don't listen to me listen to Mike Tuscherer youtube.com/watch?v=CyLgClmzTYU

>they windmill slightly
you will just windmill in the other direction if you change which hand is supinated, this has nothing to do with imbalances being caused by mixed grip and is just a consequence of mixed grip being inherently asymmetrical

>tfw got scared of muscular imbalance on deadlifts and now I've been doing double overhands for so long I cant really pull mixed grip anymore, it feels so unnatural

hello mr sub 3 plate deadlift

Imho If you can't lift it for reps with a regular normal grip then you shouldn't, at lmao 2pl8 don't even bother switching your grip dude. You can do mixed grip when testing your 1rm, and you should only do so every once in a while.

If you can't lift the bar, then deload you lazy cunt.

Used mixed grip til 385 until a sprained wrist forced me to do only double overhand for months. Havent looked back. Above 4pl8 I just use straps.

Imagine you're a little kid balling your fist to punch someone with your finger *inside* of your fist...except the fist is wrapped over the barbell. That's the hook grip. Your thumb rests lengthwise across the barbell, and your fingers wrap over the thumb, then you hold on tight. Double overhand is done with the thumb outside, so a heavy weight will obviously pry your fingers loose and slip out of your hands.

Look up pictures. You'll see how to place the thumb. Depending on your hand size, you might have to do a bit of practice. I have small, meaty hands and shorter fingers and have to stretch my thumbs/wrist like the article I'll link below explains. Start with very light weight - it'll feel like the bar is going to pull your thumb apart at first. You have to deaden the nerves a bit. Also, some chalk on the top of the thumb helps. Fight through the pain. It's worth it. Nothing beats being able to keep both hands overnight without using straps to make the lift more technically efficient.

Forgot to post the article. The stretch he describes helps loosen/lengthen my thumb another inch or two which makes all the difference cuz my fingers can't reach past my thumb without stretching.

catalystathletics.com/article/1671/Ask-Greg-Trouble-with-the-Hook-Grip/

I PR 415x1, 365x6 and I have never even tried mixed or hook grip....

Now, your grip strength will start faltering around 275-315lbs.
Also get chalk to help with grip.

Do hook or mixed grip

Straps take away work from your forearms, and also allows your lower back to be the limiting factor, not your grip

> being impressed with a sub 500lb deadlift

>tfw grip is unironically failing at 295lbs

Attached: Screenshot_82.jpg (600x600, 32K)

How often should I diddly? I do DLs once a week, but the other days of the week I do oly lifts, so I think I am getting in SOME pulling work, but I think my DLs could be progressing way more.
>5'7 150lbs
> 275lbs for 3 reps
>Been lifting properly since around August

At +280 sets i switch to mixed grip, but alternate hands between sets. Still shoe/beltless.

>t. limp fish

You should get more pulling volume in. What program are you on? When my deadlift was around that weight, I was on Johnnie Candito's weekly linear program and was able to ride that out up to a 405 for 2-3 sets of 2-3 reps before I switched to his 6-week program. The linear program has you deadlift and squat twice a week; once at heavier volume, and another day where you focus on either strength/control, volume, or explosive power - I'd recommend either strength/control, or volume - depending on which template you pick.

>Didn't read OP
>Trying to shame people lifting more than he is

Afraid making it is not for you, user.

Back to lurking /plg/, young Rippetard.

I've been doing a sort of retarded made-up program ever since I read "Easy Strength". I was thinking of keeping it going for kickboxing, but I quit for a bit to focus on school. It's basically:
>3x a week
>Tuesday: Back Squat, Cleans, DLs, OHP, weighted chin-ups
>Thurday: Front Squat, Cleans (add in jerks/split jerks), snatches, BP, weighted pull-ups
>Saturday: Back Squat, Cleans, incline BP, weighted dips.
Please let me know if I am retarded, because I might be.

Depends on what your goals are, and if you're making progress toward them.
You could probably throw some deadlift volume in on Saturday, depending on what your squat volume looks like compared to Tuesday and Saturday; i.e., if you squat heavy on Tuesday, you could DL heavy, then if your squats are lighter on Saturday, you could do some lighter deadlifts at lighter weights for volume on Sat. Even if its 3-5 sets with just a few reps at 50-60% of your max that you try to pull explosively on saturday, that's a few thousand pounds of extra DL volume.

Or you could do a variant of the lift, like normal deadlifts on Tuesday as you already do, then do block pulls or light deficit deadlifts on Saturday. But if you're the 275x3 deadlift guy, I would say don't do any deadlift variations. Just vary the reps/sets/intensity.

Lastly, you might want to experiment with your exercise order. If increasing your deadlift is a priority, I'd suggest doing deadlifts after squats and before the cleans. Your performance on cleans will most likely be affected, of course, but, like I said, it all depends on your goals and priorities. You could also consider reducing the weight/volume on your cleans while you focus on deads, prioritizing deadlifts for a few weeks or months, then you can switch your priorities and focus on the cleans over the deads.

Also, just a last suggestion: don't be afraid to modify or even reduce the weight and volume on chin/pull ups and dips and the smaller accessories if you think they might be interfering with your progress with the larger lifts. You don't want to go ham on the accessories at the expense of your larger lifts the next workout cuz what sounds better: improving your squat/DL/clean maxes, or improving your max on dips or chin-ups?

I was thinking about adding in some DLs on Saturday, I'll try that out dude, huge thanks!

Basically, my goals are to get super defined/stronk as fuark, hopefully hitting 1/2/3/4 eventually. But at the same time I want to keep my explosiveness, so I like doing the oly lifts. Besides, they are just fun as ever living shit, even though I'm absolutely terrible at them lol

Well, you’re also training for kickboxing, right? Keeping that explosiveness and agility for that sport and improving it should also be a goal, so yeah, just experiment, move some things around, don’t be afraid to shift gears like focusing on DLS for weeks, then focusing on cleans for weeks, or on squats.

Also, if you wanna hit 1pl8 on squat and you’re struggling with a lower weight, add in a few sets of light shoulder work on another day you don’t OHP. Then just eat more, or rest more, or do more recovery, or tweak your volume on other lifts. Eventually, you’ll find a pattern where everything sticks. Took me a while of always pushing the accessories on my program really hard to realize they were only interfering with the main lifts, not helping. Good luck.