Gladiatorial Gains

bbc.com/news/education-29723384

How the hell did gladiators get any sort of muscle mass?

Theres no way they had enough protein or basic nutrients for that matter

>inb4 vegan posters and other brainlets

Attached: main-qimg-3c582dd7babf6b4589af56cb4ac46654.png (308x602, 195K)

you don’t need protein

they led active lifestyles and the weak ones died

This is actually pretty much accepted fact, it's not some new (((media))) narrative. It's still worth noting that Spartacus was filmed with actual, meat-eating bodybuilders and the real ones probably looked like scrawny pieces of shit

caesar took good care of his best gladiators

they were important to distract the masses

Think for a second. Most of the population back in ancient time lived on a plant-based diet. Meat was something that was eaten only by the elites or reverse for special occasions only. They might be ripped but no way in hell they were big in any sense.

It's reasonably possible to get big without meat but they weren't drinking milk either, that about guarantees they were dyels.

is this attainable natty?

>implying you need either milk or meat

Attached: woja453.jpg (488x463, 21K)

post body

Every Mediterranean peasant was eating a fuck ton of fish what are you on about.

and pig

italians on the adriatic eat mostly fish and pork

they ate lots of beans which are very high in protein

gladiators are literally called "barley men" in ancient texts and their diet was mostly barley and beans both of which have plenty of proteins

The science museum actually had an exhibit recently on gladiators.
Gladiators actually had huge feasts after fights, not only as a celebration but whoever owned them at the time (a lot of them were servants, voluntary and involuntary) saw the feast as more an investment towards building strength.

Remember their nutrition concepts were different.
>194
>not eating hot and dry
Never gonna make it

manlet gains, beans, shitposting on IVChan

Genetcs dumbfuck, the dyels got killed and in their first fights

>probably
you have no idea what you're talking about dumbass
they were noticeably more muscular than the average person back then regardless of lifestyle and region because they actually trained their bodies and had the incentive to get as big as possible in order to protect their vitals, they were probably on the chunkier side but they were depicted as being muscular so they weren't scrawny.

>there is no way they had enough protein or basic nutrients
the soils back then were richer, so the foods grown in them were richer, their vegetables and grains had b12 because they weren't washed, and the soils weren't devoid of bacteria that produce b12.

>itt retiarius' getting salty
stay smol fisher fags

>Theres no way they had enough protein or basic nutrients for that matter
You dont need 1g of protein for each 1lbs of mass. That's a lie of the supplement industry..

Training is much more important than nutrition. Just get enough calories and dont eat retarded meals and you'd look good.

Pic related. A guy in prison. He works out twice a day, 7 days a week with a diet of mostly carbs and just enough protein.

You wont get abs with that diet though. But I guess this is how ancient gladiators looked.

Attached: qqq.jpg (1280x720, 90K)

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realized what "Eye Vee Chan" was supposed to mean.

Attached: Depressing Realization.png (689x302, 91K)

>no way they had enough protein or basic nutrients

ppl say the same shit over and over about inmates but yet they pack on muscle eating shit low grade food that is really falty and salty with low protein and a lot of times without even lifting weights

high protein diets are a gigantic fucking meme, calories matter more unless you are incredibly deficient in protein but if you're eating enough calories it's virtually impossible to be protein deficient.

dis
good ones were pampered and fed like priced cattle
if you sucked you died
that's all there is to it

Attached: magic.gif (275x252, 1.39M)

Most elite ancient warriors were probably wiry dudes like pic related who had just ridiculous endurance from training and doing calisthenics all day.

Attached: 9D25138D-E1A9-4D33-A367-C2FBC9FD516E.jpg (520x390, 89K)

>Theres no way they had enough protein

You numale can't even recognise your ancestors, what the globohomo society has done to your poor nubrain is deeply sad and leave me feeling in pain, I will pray for you tonight numale.

you do need protein, just not as much
menno henselmanns is a big name in the lifting industry, is natty and looks pretty fucking good especially when he's off bodybuilding shows(otherwise he looks really impressive wise with all striations and stuff but looks deflated) and he claims you do not need more than 1.6g/kg, 1.8g/kg is what he recommends to be on the "safe side".

and if you're a lean individual with some muscle mass you won't shoot up for high numbers
for someone weighting 70kg at around 10-12%bf that'd be 126g protein which is super fucking simple
I have a hard time not going into 150g+ protein by intuitively eating unless I eat 3 times per day or tracking (choose just ~150g of some kind of meat)

some grains have around 10g-15g protein per 100g, and while grains are not the best source of protein they still add up

also, decades ago people with physical jobs were skinny but look pretty fucking ripped, I have a cooking book of traditional dishes ofm y country where the fisherman has a sick core

Barley, they were nicknamed Barleymen since they ate great quantities of a gruel like food to develop fat around their muscles and vitals and get stronger.

actually not true in the Roman period, most nutritional studies suggest that bread totally dominated the diet with very little fish, even at coastal cities like Taranto. It was probably quite an elite diet and the populations were too large to sustain inshore fishing (boats didn't go out THAT far and nets were limited to fairly shallow depths).

>A guy in prison
>natty

Attached: 34732202_1_51_3.jpg (640x421, 44K)

hmmm it’s almost as if the fitness industry has been lying to you about how much protein is necessary to build a good physique that isn’t monstrous like piano man or some shit

Really mangles my bojangles

You're being stupid. I don't know about this guy in particular but my prison is dry as fuck and we've got some yoked inmates.

>implying you need muscle mass to fight other skeletors to the death
Have absolutely no idea why gladiators are "cool" in popular culture when they were largely pieces of subhuman trash allowed to live solely so that they would die for the entertainment of the ruling castes.

t. cucked by a gladiator stallion

>getting triggered over thousand-year-old diets

Attached: 1538266695287.jpg (750x918, 75K)

Triggered brainlet

>FFL
>"Elite"
Get the fuck outta here, newfag.

ITT: Memes. First of all, gladiators were not "fat". Most were not ripped either, but they looked more or less builtfat by Jow Forums standards, depending on their class. Pic related.

Second, their diets were mostly vegetarian, but most fit people's diets are "mostly" vegetarian anyway. It is a modern concept to live on bacon and eggs. The reason they ate so much barley was because it was cheap; gladiators were trained by slave-owners, who provided for them their food, and it would have been pretty expensive to feed so many big guys diverse diet. Barley was their bulkin food basically. They probably ate seafood and cheese for protein, and had access to some fruits and vegetables.

Attached: Retiarius_vs_secutor_from_Borghese_mosaic.jpg (320x266, 48K)

>Theres no way they had enough protein or basic nutrients for that matter
why wouldn't they get plenty of protein? they were elite athletes, not regular prisoners

>Most were not ripped either, but they looked more or less builtfat
correct. They where athletic with high bodyfat levels