Making friends at gym

How do I make friends at the gym?

Been going for a while and many people there seem to know each other, greeting each other with handshakes and chatting between sets. Even the super hot grills just chat with some of the guys since they all seem to know each other.
Meanwhile, I try to look friendly and smile at people but barely get a reaction.

I don't even want to hit on anyone or have lengthy conversations. But I'll likely be going to that gym for the rest of my life so it would be nice to become a regular and get to know some people.
Do I just need more time under my belt or certain stats to be accepted?

I seem to have this issue in general. People don't seem to want to talk to me for some reason. I don't look intimidating or ugly but somehow I feel like I'm unapproachable. Anyone else have that?

Attached: 1539505470449.jpg (2250x3000, 392K)

they're probably all part of some freaky sex cult, better to just lift by yourself

Are you ugly, awkward, or both?

lol i thought that was a dick

You don't. The gym is for working out. Go to a bar or some other social event if you want to meet people.

This is one of the social skills you should have learned as a child, if you can't do it by now you never will.

lol me too XD

haha

>Meanwhile, I try to look friendly and smile at people but barely get a reaction.
have you tried talking to them? I'm quite open to talk to anybody but if someone just smiled at me I likely wouldn't say anything and might even think the person was an autist.

Not ugly
Sometimes awkward but I can handle myself.

Like I said, I don't want to have long talks with people. But a friendly 'hi what's up', what's wrong with that?

Have not tried aside from saying hello to some people. But I don't really get it. Why don't other people initiate conversations?
I knew this guy in uni who would just talk to everyone. It was insane, after 2 semesters he knew everyone, not just from my semester but literally everyone. How do you even do that?

Do you guys not actually talk to anybody when you go to the gym? Just ask for spots or to work in and start up conversation and soon you’ll know everyone. In the real world it’s not a big deal if you’re a little awkward guys nobody will care.

Are you retarded man. Just ask a bro to spot you and try to hit it off with him. If he know the people that go the gym, chances are that you'd get to know them too if you stick with him.

There's never a situation to work in. The one time where all racks were taken I asked a girl who had just put her stuff in the squat rack to work in. She scurried off to the Smith machine instead..
And most people have shit form too.
Idk

It's pretty easy. You don't need to ask for a spot or to work in, just go up to someone you see there a lot and say something like "Hey, I see you around here a lot, I'm ______ and then shake their hand. If they seem receptive ask what they are hitting today, shoot the shit. Then say something like "Alright I'll let you get back to it" and finish your workout. Next time you see them in the gym say hey, and bam you've got a gym acquaintance. It's not hard unless you come across as awkward and creepy irl.

Sounds like excuses to me man. Just try it, I promise it won’t go as bad as you think it will.

This. A thousand times this.
Or just do your own thing, don’t seek out attention, don’t wear headphones, someone’s bound to talk to you or want a spot unless your a complete fatty/skeleton.
Good luck OP.

>Knew a guy who would talk to everybody
>Was unable to learn through basic observation of the best possible example
But somehow a Swedish underground meatball exchange full of strangers will show you, righ?

I'm in the exact same situation, OP. Been going to the same gym for 3 years (and had been physically active for 4 years prior to that so I wasn't a beginner when I came here by any means) and aside from 3 or 4 people I'll occasionally nod to when we make eye contact I haven't "met" anybody or made a single friend.

Meanwhile other people greet each other and chat like they're old acquaintances. And it's not just restricted to age groups, I've seen old men that only use the treadmills shooting the shit with amateur BBs in their early 20s and everything else in between, young couples working out with old couples, you name it. It's like a fuckin' social club, but for some reason I never clicked into place.

Makes me sad sometimes.

I specifically go to the gym an hour before close when its nothing but a few boomers just to be able to work out in peace without having to shoot the shit with random NPCs

literally just greet people, ask someone for a spot when benching/ask to work in if there are no free squat racks. thats how I made some good friends at my gym, which is the shittiest gym available in one of the least sociable countries in the world.

Lmao

when I was a skellie I just asked dudes for advice or spots. If they're not fucknasty roided they'll appreciate the indirect compliment.

Now that I'm old, fat, and pretty strong I just greet other old, fat dudes like I already know them and we always hit it off...

Old, fat dudes are weird, bro.

I know a ton of regulars at my gym, and get greeted all the time, and all my best friends are from the gym whom I talked to first

Literally just talk to people, be the one to talk first, ask about their training or whatever, go from there and don't be awkward

I ask for spots all the time, but when I'm done I just say thanks and go do something else. I imagine they would rather get back to their own exercise than talk to me. Am I more autistic than I realise?

>You don't. The gym is for working out.
Oh yeah, it's almost as if 90% of the people at gyms aren't social retards and talk to one another. This has to be a cope for not being able to make any friends at the gym

Just say hey to the big dudes if you are at the lockers the same time that they are or if you look at each other while you walk past. if you're mates with the big dudes, everyone else will be your mate too.

dont be a weirdo though, just say hey and keep walking, eventually they'll talk to you or they'll say hey/bye and if not, you're no worse off than you are now.

What if someone has horrible form?

just fucking talk to people. i've barely been going to my gym for a year and i talk with nearly everyone except for fuckers that hog my mirror space. barely ever a day goes by where i don't see anyone i know. really helps your workout as well. try asking some random dude to spot you once in a while or something

Why do you even need a spot? Can't you tell during your set when you reach the point you will be unable to complete the next rep? Or is this just for 1rm's?

haha, me too funny right?

I only bench 1 plate so I'm embarrassed to ask for a spot. And most people spot weird as fuck, like they spot on the third rep and row the weight for you and yell at you to do 3 more reps bro

In a lot of cases it's the opposite. Children generally have little social inhibition and self-consciousness. Becoming unapproachable and withdrawn is usually the result of some sort of childhood trauma. A normal functioning human is inherently social.

Hehe

Attached: 1540874732203.jpg (431x350, 22K)

look for the person you legit want to talk to. Roided up boobiebulders arent fun people to talk to. But that one guy that works his ass off and doesnt talk much is mostly a very friendly person you want to talk to. Just pretend he is a Jow Forumsizen (probably is), dont meme up. But talk with a mentality that will make you and him both stronger at the end. for example, one is frontsquatting. you say man beautiful frontsquat why u do front instead of backsquat. and he will be just as autistic as you and talk about HIP DRIVE

Asking for spots is the easiest way. I can have a chat with most of the regulars in my gym now, but to be honest most days I'd rather just lift in peace. Once you initiate contact with one or two people it can take a lot of time out of your routine.
Listening to music is the best way to be left alone, but there are those guys who talk to you anyway.

People don't want to destroy you just for being a little awkward, user. If you're not totally spaghetti and can hold a decent conversation about smalltalk or whatever, you'll make some friends. And if they don't want to talk to you, then whatever. Try it with someone else. You can't say your gym is 100% antisocial retards until you've talked to every last one of them to find out for yourself.

Start a short but memorable conversation. Leave your mark. Ask something they have to engage with, not just “yeah” or simple/obvious answers. Something more than weather talk but less than a life story. Short and sweet. Next time you see em, just nod or ask em how’s it going? Try to work in another short convo or work in together.

t. Has never met anyone outside of bar whores

>Start a short but memorable conversation.

Such as? What are some of the most interesting conversations you've had?

t. on the spectrum

Attached: no one.png (1008x371, 38K)

talk about Jow Forums memes, that always goes well

A lot of them might be acquaintances outside the gym as well. I joined a random gym in my city and it turned out I knew 4 or 5 people who went there, and though chatting with them I also got to know their gym buddies.

I didn't really talk to anyone I didn't already have an 'in' with though

My penis :)

If you know your fit shit, ask him about the exercises he’s doing or what he’s working out for, sports, look good, etc.
Maybe the brand of shirt or sneakers he’s wearing are cool and you wanna know where he bought them?
You need an ice breaker, a reason to start a conversation.

t. on the spectrum too

you have frens here OP

Attached: 1540142372208.png (1018x763, 204K)

lmao

>thanks for the spot, man. i'm x
there, exchanging names makes people remember you and feel more comfortable greeting you.

i hate it when people talk to me at the gym, the only things acceptable are asking someone for a spot or helping someone with a spot, or asking someone how many sets they have left

throw in greetings and goodbyes to the staff for good measure

don't you tip the staff? very rude

first time I went to gym I forced a hand shaking with everybody in my way
It was that easy

>>Such as?
such as the making of the 4th reich