Keto

I'm on day 2 of keto, seems pretty easy right now. Struggled to eat low cal in the past as I tend to binge pretty hard but I've felt full the past 24 hours without much effort. Just want to check up and make sure I have the right approach before I go full tits on this.

I'm doing 75/20/5 fat/protein/carbs and will keep around 1800-2000 cals a day, for now I'm just worrying about keeping below my carb and protein goal and eating whatever fats I need to stay full. Gym membership is coming this weekend so I'll be getting back into heavy lifting next week

I'm planning on keeping this going until christmas at least with no alcohol at all, and then once I'm there I may switch to low cal or just keep doing keto depending on how I'm doing. I need to lose about 100 lbs (sitting around 320lbs but I have quite a bit of muscle mass), I've had great success with low cal a few years ago but I fell completely off the wagon and gained everything back. Different circumstances in my life are making this much harder this time (nogf>gf, out of my 20's now, out of school with an office job, no gym friends to work out with now and my willpower is pretty crap right now)

Basically all I'm wondering now is this really a healthy diet? I know the anti-fat craze is mostly bullshit but I feel like eating meats and cheese as the primary source of calories can't be fantastic for your body. Looking to see if this is potentially something I could keep up forever if I like the results I get, losing weight is the priority for now but once I get down to my goal weight I need to have a maintenance plan

tldr: is keto have good long term potential? tips for beginners ect.

And any recipes you have would be great. I've found a bunch online but variety is always good

Attached: keto+food+pyramid.jpg (768x820, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27385608
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4603544/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormone-sensitive_lipase#Function
youtu.be/UMhLBPPtlrY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuck man too long post, i hate to do it, but I'll redirect you to leddit. There's tons of information there.

One point though, keto IS EFFECTIVE but tedious to follow. Counting calories is stupid and a waste of time, when there's better methods to losing weight.
Read Dr. Jason Fung - The Obesity Code
You seem interested enough to want to change your life around, so I'd highly recommend the intermittent fasting method and the book that leads you to understanding why it is effective. Most ketoers sooner or later adapt IF anyways, since it's so easy to do so, and the literature on Keto almost always has a reference to fasting.

I did IF when i lost a bunch of weight last time, i think ill combine that with keto once i get going again. IF alone leads me to binge episodes based on me trying to get into it the past month and failing miserably.

I dont think itll.be hard to follow as i love most high fat foods but yea ill check out reddit some more, i was looking at the keto board a bit last night

ahh good for you. Try OMAD then. That's like the holy grail of fasting combined with feeding. Since you give yourself an hour max, you can only eat so much. If you truly restrict yourself to the time, you most probably will not be able to overeat, one precondition though would be you must chew your food into mush before you're allowed to swallow it.
Maybe even EOF (every other day fasting) another very effective method, harder to do though.
Or if you've got the guts go for an extended fast. I've done multiple extendeds, and it felt like cheating, losing all that fat in such a short time.
I lift very heavy, and am very dedicated to my lifting, and I have not experienced any setbacks at all, not any I couldn't recover from in two to three weeks time anyways. So in my opinion there can be no question about losing significant amounts of muscle loss, if really any at all.

If you have the self control try fasting. You'll burn through your glycogen stores faster and at your weight could lose upwards of 2 pounds a day. After the 2nd day you shouldn't feel hungry for a while. Glad to see you're making steps to try and improve yourself.

Lol imagine falling for a diet jew instead of counting calories

May try omad once i get going, i feel super weak if i dont eat for extended periods tho. 16/8 IF seemed to be alright cause i could start at lunch and finish around dinner but im not sure i could go all day without eating at a desk job I dont have the self control now unfortunately. Hopefully in a couple months after doing keto for a bit ill be able to get into a cal counting routine

But 2 lbs a day? That would be a 7000 calorie deficit, even if i ate nothing i wouldnt lose that much
Counting cals works and had worked for me in the past, this time around im just trying something different to get me into better eating habits, whether i stick with it long term remains to be seen. Most of what ive read and the anecdotal eveidence ive gotten from friends whove tried it says it works but we will see
Its an interesting concept to say the least

Imagine falling for the counting calories meme. Who the fuck ever counted calories before 40 years ago you fucking degenerate shit?
We better know what people ate before the obesity epidemic. We know for sure that no one ever counted a calorie, still basically no one was obese, only a privileged few.

>keto+food+pyramid.jpg
Why are cheese and butter okay but milk isn't?

I think it's due to the macros. Cheese and butter are on some level concentrated milk fat, thus making it more appropriate for keto diet, which tries to consume as much fat as possible.

Milk has a fair amount of lactose, which is sugar
For cheese at least, the lactose is filtered off in the process

>Milk has a fair amount of lactose, which is sugar
Going by that, fruit and berries shouldn't be allowed because they contain fructose, which is sugar as well.

They arent for the most part, fruit in general isn't on the list and berries are supposed to be eaten sparingly which is why they are at the top of the pyramid

nice cope fat fuck
people were a lot more active and ate smaller portions 70 years ago. Anorexia started in 1950s

I've been on keto close to 6 months now and it's been very effective. I've gone down to 70kg from 82kg while pretty much retaining muscle mass and just leaning out. As to long term sustainability it's definitely not advisable. My bloodwork was all over the place, and Im not just talking about glucose. Elevated AST, ALT and a generally significant stress placed on the liver to process all this protein. Despite what Jow Forums will tell you, you're probably not perfectly capable of going through 200g daily.

I suggest closely monitoring you blood results as you go along and getting in a cheat day a month to help you through.

Don't overdo it on fried eggs and bacon. Spinach and lettuce are great to fill up on.
Try to meal prep once a week, I make ~15 turkey mince patties which get me through much easier than red meat.

Alcohol is a big nono as you can imagine, it throws a wrench in the entire process which takes a while to restart.
The one thing that's gonna suck is energy levels and workouts, no way around it. People might tell you this eventually gets better I've never had a workout on keto come close to what I was able to do when sugarloading.

Your supposed to keep protein intake to like 1g per kg of lean mass on keto i thought...

And as far as energy levels,your the first ive heard of that being an issue. Everyone else told me energy would skyrocket after the first week or so

I eat fairly healthy though (despite usually eating too much), lots of veggies on the regular so im not too worried about that

But yea i might see if i can get some bloodwork done after i lose some weight to see where im sitting. My main concern at this point is how my body will react in terms of cholesterol levels and all that after doong keto for awhile

No way around it regarding protein, you usually end up with 200+g daily unless you subside on peanut butter and almonds or something. You're almost certainly gonna be fine, I'm just saying that long term sustainability is questionable cause the liver can be worn down.

As for energy, I'm going off personal experience here. Sure, it's much better once you get over the keto flu and you're actually able to function, but still sustained cardio is killing me. Which makes sense when you deprive your body of its most readily available source of fuel. If you just do weights then you probably will have enough energy.

Also supplements are worth looking into since your menu is limited.

Yea true, im doing alright so far with keeping protein down but it is tough. Lots of avocado and butter/oil. I did already get some multis to fill in the gaps so that ones checked

And yea fair enough, i havent done any sort of cardio since highschool sports so its gonna suck either way lol. Once i get hard into cardio ill probably start adding in some carbs prior to workouts

Just a reminder that being in a ketogenic state has no extra effect on weight loss

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27385608

And also that carbs and insulin do not prevent you from burning fat, again comparing identical calories

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4603544/

Any weight lost on a ketogenic diet is due to the principle of eating less calories than your body requires for its daily functions, which you may find a ketogenic diet helps to do, but the actual burning of fat is not enhanced by ketogenic dieting.

Attached: 1200px-Fat_cat[1].jpg (1200x1074, 193K)

>insulin do not prevent you from burning fat
but that's wrong you fucking retard

Read the second linked study.

>This study demonstrated that, calorie for calorie, restriction of dietary fat led to greater body fat loss than restriction of dietary carbohydrate in adults with obesity. This occurred despite the fact that only the carbohydrate restricted diet led to decreased insulin secretion and a substantial sustained increase in net fat oxidation compared to the baseline energy-balanced diet.

Insulin does not prevent body fat loss.

Yes i realize the 1st law of thermodynamics is not broken by obstaining from carbs

What it does do makes it easy to eat at a deficiency and it (allegedly) helps burn fat instead of muscle mass as well as some other health benefits that are somewhat scientifically backed up by studies ect

What people tend to forget is that eating at a calorie deficiency equals losing weight but not necessarily always fat. Keto is supposed to help burn more fat and less muscle

>What it does do makes it easy to eat at a deficiency
Sure, I could see that.
>and it (allegedly) helps burn fat instead of muscle mass
As you can see in what I already linked, this is false. There is no benefit in body fat burning.
>as well as some other health benefits that are somewhat scientifically backed up by studies ect
Also mostly false. The claims come from low-carb diet trials where obese people cut sugar and lose weight and see modest improvements in blood markers from horrible to less bad, which any sort of diet that causes weight loss would do. These results then get extrapolated by book sellers and blog writers to mean that a generally healthy person who goes on a keto diet will also see further improvement to their health, which is not well supported if at all. It is effective in controlling seizures in epileptic kids though, but even the papers praising its effectiveness here go on about the many side effects observed during keto dieting. Pic related.

I mainly posted that stuff though because a lot of people attribute special properties to keto that just aren't true, and they've gotten extremely widespread and ready believed without actual evidence.

Attached: ketosis side effects.png (407x338, 18K)

Im not gonna lie im not reading that study right now,im at work. But wuick glance tells me that they did no actually testing to show that the subjects are in ketosis,rather they just based it off of a certain ratio of macros, and ive seen other studies that make similar claims whole saying that the subjects on low carb were still eadting 20-70gs of carbs a day which is way to many for ketosis om the higher end

I didnt mean the claims of it preventign cancer and other diseases but the mental clarity and energy levels that ive heard constantly from people on keto.

In any case, its helping yours truly not stuff his face with chips and other bullshit every day so ill keep sticking with it, even if its terrible for me its gotta be better than being 100+lbs overweight

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormone-sensitive_lipase#Function
>HSL is activated when the body needs to mobilize energy stores, and so responds positively to catecholamines, ACTH. It is inhibited by insulin. Previously, glucagon was thought to activate HSL, however the removal of insulin's inhibitory effects ("cutting the brakes") is the source of activation.
I don't care what your 1 study on obese people says, it's very clear high levels of insulin prevent people from using stored body fat.

youtu.be/UMhLBPPtlrY

1) that food pyramid is beyond retarded
2) eat way more calories at first. you're not going to gain any weight, trust me. you are not adapted yet, and unless you absolutely want to lose weight, you should not stick to "muh 2000 kcals". also make sure you're getting your electrolytes. try bone broth - it will give you an excuse to also try out more traditional foods.

The pic was just the first one i found on google images

I definetly want to lose weight do ill be sticking with the deficit. Thanks for the tips tho, ill go chug a glass of broth right now