Marathon running

Since this is a health and fitness board, let's discuss marathon running for a second. Two weeks ago I ran my first ever half marathon in 1h40min. In 2019 I want to run my first ever marathon. I'm looking for a good program that will get me there. Up until now I've just been winging it and increasing my weekly mileage bit by bit and just improving the training but I'm sure there are some tried-and-true tested training programs out there that get you from a half marathon to a full marathon.

Also, general running thread I guess. Discuss your times, tips, favorite places to run, etc.

Attached: running-10k.jpg (968x681, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kemibe.com/distancecoach/labreports/safeincreasing.shtml
fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans
track6.mixtape.moe/zzovfb.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Check out Dr. Jack Daniel on YouTube for the kind of Info you are seeking

Also if you just want a custom training plan check out the Nike running App IT asks you a bunch of questions then gives you a tailored training plan that actually adapts based on how you are doing.

Since this is a running thread I'd like to know if there are any other RUNNER 5s on this board.

I AM RUNNER 5

>Check out Dr. Jack Daniel on YouTube for the kind of Info you are seeking
Looks solid, thanks user.

Runner fag here
I used to neglect running like most of this board, but I went to run with qt from work once and she mogged me badly even tho I look very fit
Now I'm trying to run a full marathon, I started training like two months ago
I can run now 7 miles comfortable, I want to get to the half marathon before the end of the year
I need to find a balance, if I run too much my feet and legs fucking hurt and I get scared I may end up injuring myself
If I don't run as often then I lose my running gainz
Do you guys know a good program for accomplish this?

Attached: 1535911966653.png (500x730, 156K)

Good God I need to get better at running, I can't stand getting winded... There must be SOME kind of trance that I can induce to rid myself of the boredom, or the burning in my chest? Fuck, I feel so weird going out to find a track, and jiggling like a huge faggot... It is what it is though, I need to make some changes.

How fast can you improve at running?

I've never done it very seriously and stopped for 7 months because of a back injury. 2 weeks ago I started again and ran 15 miles. Then, I did a 6 miler with some sprints thrown in, a half marathon a week after the 15 miler, and last night (another week later) I did a marathon.

Obviously I'm still slow and untrained, but I've noticed that after running the marathon I'm not in nearly as much pain as I was after the 15 miler, even though it was only 2 weeks and 3 runs ago. Feel like I've already come a long way. I know I'm probably putting myself at risk from injury with these runs, but it seems to be working for me.

I listen to classical music. Beethoven's 9th is about one hour and 30 minutes long. I find classical is the best way to make time pass. Audiobooks/podcasts don't do it for me and regular tracks make time go super slow because you realize that one track is about 5 minutes, which is about 1km for me. With classical you completely lose track of time.

How the fuck did you stop for 7 months then straight up ran 15 miles?

Is there adamantium in your legs?

ran my first half in may. felt pain on the outside of my knee ever since. recently went to doctor and got diagonsed with ilotibial band syndrome.

been doing some stretches for the past week to try and fix it. haven't ran in a while, hope to get back into it in feb/ march.

Attached: itb-syndrome[1].jpg (450x580, 38K)

Either find a local running club that has an ex pro coach or use a Hal Higdon program

Overuse injury.
Too much too soon. “Deload” your mileage to a very low number and slowly work your way back up.
Include cross training as to not let your vo2 max decrease

>Got overtaken by a couple of cardio bunnies the other day

Fuck. At least I got to check their asses out for a mile or two.

thanks. i picked up lifting recently and have been avoiding squats/deads. i haven't ran in about a month now due to fear of aggravating it. i hope this heals soon

Also, do resistance band clamshells and band sidesteps.
When you do run, make sure to keep your cadence above 180 and try not to have too narrow of a gait. It might feel awkward but widen your gait just a hair, it will take some stress off the ITB. Make sure to stretch every run and foam roll every day

thanks a lot for the help. one thing i've been wondering though is how fast is too fast when upping the mileage? for example lets say I start out running just one mile twice a week, if I then do one mile 3 times a week is that too sudden of an increase?

I don't know how i'm supposed to ramp up mileage without it being a significant % increase.

Attached: 1506261844795.png (600x595, 560K)

10%

I ran a marathon in high school. I trained for 400 days (started beginning of sophomore year ran marathon in junior year)
What I did was I started off very slow, the first month I would run just one mile every day. But every day I would time myself for this first month and everyday try to beat my mile record even by just a few seconds (as you progress obviously you will only beat your record by half a second idk) . Then month two I would add .3 miles to my run while gradually decreasing my time day by day every month. after a year I was running about 6 miles a day. The marathon was obviously hard to run but not THAT hard. Diet: eat lean protein and shit haha. Good luck. I hope this made sense. READ THE STICKY BITCH

10% is the usual rule of thumb; it may also be worthwhile to take a down week every 2-3 weeks as this is the part of the bone remodeling process when bones are weakest.

If you're at the level of running 1 mile, I'd suggest something like C25k or Andrew Read's walk/run progression.

>hike but never run
>apply to hotshot crews for 2019 season
>just got referred
brb peppering angus

Attached: 18A_0070.jpg (2000x3000, 2.18M)

NRC setup a program and off you go

kemibe.com/distancecoach/labreports/safeincreasing.shtml
Don't listen to 10% guys.

The 10% rule aims to discourage beginners from ramping up too quickly, it doesn't really make any sense in itself

>take a down week every 2-3 weeks
This is good advice and more important to understand than the 10% rule

Pirate a PDF of Jack Daniels book, follow the marathon training plans in there. The whole thing is worth a read, really good stuff in there. I'm on the 2Q plan in prep for a spring marathon.

>if I run too much my feet and legs fucking hurt and I get scared I may end up injuring myself

Work on your form. Your legs and feet would only be hurting if you have bad technique.

You should build up your base again. Those runs are not things you should be doing after that much time off from injury.

This is one of the worst ways to train for a marathon. I can't believe how stupid this is.

I just did a 5k in 21:07

Attached: 1541285002505.jpg (360x360, 22K)

Will other types of cardio help me to run the future? I bike a lot

Running. Doing other cardio helps for cardio gains but nothing beats getting miles on your feet.

>Your legs and feet would only be hurting if you have bad technique.
I don't think this is true. Of course, it's important to work on form, but generalized achiness after doing "too much" doesn't strike me as unusual, particularly if OP is on the heavier side and/or hasn't replaced his shoes recently.

Got a link user?

True. I forgot about overtraining or one's physiology when I wrote that.

sounds like you're doing it right. the program i'm using basically starts off running 5k's 4x a week and increases the weekly mileage until marathon time where you're doing a ton of distance.

one interesting thing that is included in my program is that instead of just running a 5k straight - it's like run 'sets' of either 400-800m and rest between them. (ie- 10x500m or 6 by 800m and rest between each set either jog or walking) desu i feel much better after doing that than a single 5k.

>Find a good trail by my house
>Finally start making a habit of running every other morning
>Get a terrible cold a week later, can barely walk up the hill to my work without hacking up a lung

When I finally run out of excuses and start working on my self the universe just kicks me back down

Attached: 28fj3w.jpg (633x758, 54K)

it was bad luck
stop being a little bitch and acting like a victim
recover as well as you can
then you go out there and crush that trail at 80% previous pace
then the next time 90%
then the next time 100%
then you aim to improve

What's your favorite cross training? Incline walking for me.

I enjoy other forms of cardio/conditioning
Skipping, battleropes, tire flips, burpees
One of my favourite methods for running training is fartlek, run slow, run fast, mixed around. Handy to do on trails (run slow to this tree, then fast to the next one etc), on in cities with lampposts

>training for women
you will never make it

for those of you who have been running for a while, how have your running times improved?

rower and airdyne for a break from impact. kettlebells are kinda fun to fuck around with. also, mountain biking.

>one interesting thing that is included in my program is that instead of just running a 5k straight - it's like run 'sets' of either 400-800m and rest between them. (ie- 10x500m or 6 by 800m and rest between each set either jog or walking) desu i feel much better after doing that than a single 5k.

You shouldn't be running those at the same pace you run a normal easy 5k in. You should be pushing yourself since those are track workouts. They're meant to get you used to running fast and running in some sort of pain. So if you normally run your 5k races in 27 minutes or so (9 min/mile) then you would try and run your 800s at say 4:00 or faster (8 min/mile) pace, or faster than your goal time pace.

5K progressed from 26:00 to 19:45 in my first year running, then to 18:00 in my second year, 17:00 in my third year, 16:25 in my fourth year, and finally 15:55 in my fifth year (this was last week). i've been running consistently since i began 5 years ago. returns definitely diminish with each ensuing year, but this'll be my last year competing so it works out well for me

Nike has a great 18 week marathon plan on their website. I used it when starting out and earlier this year I ran my first 50 miler. Wouldn't have done it if it hadn't been for that plan. Now I'm registered for a 100 miler in a few months

I don't get it. Why would you do this type of workout when it won't deliver a swole, juicy physique?

you can lp to a marathon man.
do that

>This whole post
What the fuck am I reading here? Do you just slug all your runs at 15:00/mi or something?

Attached: 675.jpg (820x820, 43K)

>he doesn't bounce as he walks
>he doesn't count that as running
Spongebob poster pls kill self

Man that's extremely impressive to improve that much. I played football before switching to XC my sophomore year and was only able to improve from 21:41 down to 16:32 over 3 years in high school. What's your weekly mileage?

Really? Im using the nrc app and I was missing (half) marathon programs. Really happy with the app otherwise.

>that wojak
Well... at least I dont wear tights.

Impressive, very nice. I feel like a snail with my 28:00, but im working on distance right now. Speaking of 5ks. Are you supposed to go all out, or should you still be able to hold a conversation. If I push hard, I can significantly increase my time. However everyone keeps hammering on the 'conversational pace', so I dont really know.

How important is diet for marathon training? I eat mostly healthy already, but I dont really put much effort into it. Don't drink alcohol apart from the occasional social beer every month or so.

just do cardio?lol

Either that or he's a machine.

it depends on what kind of run you are on
race: FULL HOG
speedrun: push yourself but not to the limit
interval run push yourself but not so hard you won't be able to finish all of your intervals.
long runs: comfortable pace
recovery runs/just collecting kilometers: conversational pace

I've had complete strangers call out to me to tell me I'm running too fast without them knowing what kind of run I'm on or what a slow/fast pace is for me.
Looking back this happened when I was still rather slow back then and even my fast runs would have been slower than my current comfy runs which makes it more puzzling.

If you're confused as to how often to do what kind of run get the NRC app and build a training plan having a decent training plan really does help a lot

What is the general consensus on the Nike marathon training program?
I am on week 3 barely and I am seeing improvement but, some days I feel like more can be done.
Is Dr.Jack Daniel that much better?

how long did the runs take?

by did a 15 miler a marathon etc do you mean raced as in you went all out?

Attached: 1538810331520.png (373x418, 292K)

Oh I forget to mention pick related is how I think your training is going to go

-here's what helped me with knee pain
down dog yoga app every morning(whenever I skip it and up my training I end up having pain)
-make sure your shoes aren't worn out in a way that fucks with how your feet role
I had one pair where I had worn out the cushioning in a way that caused my feet to turn slightly inwards which resulted in knee pain which got better after I switched to a new pair

If your using the app keep in mind that it adapts every now and then, for example, my current 10k program threw in more long runs when it noticed that I could easily handle what it started with(Friday was 18k tomorrow 19k)

also, no one forcing you to limit yourself to the distance Nike is giving you but the programs I usually get seems to be built in a way that makes sense and I'd be careful not to hurt myself by being too ambitious

If you really want to do more consider adding some type of strength training to your regime

this response was meant for you

How do you guys differentiate between fatigue related pain and more nefarious aches?

What a retard

Well, seems like ive been fucking up then. I mostly try to keep around the edge of converstational pace and slowly pushing my speeds up. Only duiring speedruns am I pushing hard.

>edge of converstational pace and slowly pushing my speeds up

Well I guess the edge of conversational speed would keep increasing the faster you get

To each their own of course, but it really helped me

Depends what kind of fun you're doing.

If a race go all out. If a tempo run it's at a pace you can hold for 10k. If an easy run, conversational.

They say conversational pace because most of your miles should be at that pace. 80% or thereabouts. The other 20% are tempo runs or interval training or a track workout.

Marathon training is a lot. It's best to build up to the mileage. You don't want to do too much too soon. It's like when you're starting to lift you want to start light. Besides, adaptations from running take a few weeks to become apparent I believe.

I've been running 10k during lunch breaks for like 2 months now and I wanna condition myself to play football (soccer).
I know this is a different kind of training in which I should do sprints, hills, stairs, etc but I don't know where to find a good guide for this.

I was thinking of running 2 days a week: a 10k run and a HIIT run.
Any ideas?

Attached: e8f45c5de1dea927ce0d0f53a8f1eaf5.jpg (578x800, 60K)

I think you need to run more (sessions) per week. How serious are you about it? Are you already playing football? A lot depends on what level you're aiming/playing at.

I've always played Sunday leagues but these last two years I've played maybe 10 matches in total and I wanna be prepared for a small tourney my company is organising, nothing too big.
I just wanna be 'that guy' who won't get tired.

Do you know the average distance you run per game right now?

No idea. I play 7 or 5 a side matches.

It's kinda shit. Go with one of the more established names, like Daniels or Pfitz or MacMillan. See fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans

I've got a problem dudes, i've always been in good shape but run out of breath really fast specially during aerobic exercises, only way not to is to run reaaal slow at about 1,5k/8m(steep park), went mountain trekking with group of other 50 dudes my age who never work out and was dead last next to the absolute worst, even people who smoke and never work out didn't have a hard time, what could it be? Heart is perfect and got no health issues i can think of aside anxiety

Attached: emoji.png (630x688, 44K)

Conditioning sounds like. Gotta push yourself to run those miles. Starting out is always the hardest, once you get past that initial hurdle you'll be fine.

>/fellrnr
my nibba

>run out of breath really fast specially during aerobic exercises
run (or walk, or run/walk) more and slow down. corny name and marketing notwithstanding, I think the tactical barbell: conditioning book makes this point about as well as anyone. maffetone is also right in his recommendations for building an aerobic base (heart rate < 180-age), though he backs up his recommendations with a lot of broscience.

(joel jamieson is also very good and makes approximately this same point, and I think his science is probably better, but his stuff is a lot more complicated)

it may also be an altitude adaptation thing if you're not used to the mountains; like most other things, it takes time to adapt to altitude and genetics play a role. (and adaptation to altitude isn't all that strongly correlated with aerobic fitness at sea level, iirc)

Attached: drumbed.jpg (450x450, 50K)

specificity may also be an issue. which is to say, running is merely ok training for walking up big hills with a heavy pack, though it is of course better than sitting on a couch. so if you plan to go on a trip where you're carrying heavy shit, spend some time walking around with a pack in the weeks before you go.

(if it was VERY heavy or you're very weak, it might even be a strength issue)

>I used to neglect running like most of this board, but I went to run with qt from work once and she mogged me badly
So fucking what, I see terribly out of shape people run all the way uphill to my local mountain. I can't do that but I look miles better than them.
Running improved nothing but your cardiovascular system. It might be good for work capacity and shit, but who needs marathon-level endurance.

how does that work?

The only way to run is really slow in my case, can't go slower, this issue has existed all my life, always much weaker than others aeorobically, the most i could run is maybe 10k at barely above walking speed in more than an hour with all the luck, don't think it's altitude issue since it wasn't that big of a mountain (around 3k meters) and went with people who never exercise, even tried running with a friend who never works out and i had to stop before him.
I'll try searching for that material and give it a read too, thanks

It was a whole day hike with a 20kg backpack, only tired muscles were traps, but the point i'm trying to make is that i'm in shape and other 50 people who were in arguably worse phisical state performed better while i was last with the fattest ones who smoke and shit, this also happens in any aeorobic activity i do in the city too.

Might wanna see your doctor and have him do some tests just to be sure.

>The only way to run is really slow in my case
Then go really slow! Or do run/walk intervals as per couch to 5k/andrew read's run/walk progression/whatever. It will feel weird at first, especially if you try to keep your cadence up and not overstride, which you should. That's OK. You'll get used to it.
See page 66 here: track6.mixtape.moe/zzovfb.pdf

>around 3k meters
That's enough to notice the altitude, at least for me. But your point is well taken.

>see terribly out of shape people run all the way uphill to my local mountain. I can't do that but I look miles better than them.
I guess they're not out of shape, then.

>who needs marathon-level endurance
>who needs
>needs
THERE'S THAT WORD AGAIN

Attached: DZX2JjyXcAMpm4W.jpg large.jpg (1266x2048, 571K)

been doing that for almost 2 years now, only thing that was off is test, made 4 blood analysis in the period of a year and got 240-220-270-350 ng/dL and doctor still didn't know what was happening so i quit, maybe it isn't related to aerobic endurance at all though, anyways thanks a lot dude i'll see what to do.

thanks, i'll read that brother, seems quite good to start with some structure instead of just trying to do more in less

Switch doctors or get a second opinion if you feel something might be up. Hows your lifestyle? Do you eat well and do other physical activity? If you can control for all those little things the solution might just be as 'simple' as pushing through the fatigue.

stretches won't fix it you're wasting your time idiot. You have a weak glute medius, do heavy squats with a band around your knees

Good work, user! You're only a minute away from breaking 20, keep training and you'll push your limits.

How can people stand running on treadmills. It fucking awful.

I worked up to 10k, gets pretty boring running for an hour straight. All I can advise is get some good music to keep you entertained

What kind of weekly mileage would you guys recommend for marathon training? I'm following Daniels plans but he's not specific. Right now I'm around 55k (35mpw) but I feel I should go higher.

Attached: B9827658AAC448299FCBF16C00FC0F48.jpg (456x456, 46K)

Are you running indoors?

Yeah, but its VERY incremental.

Spoken like a true Jow Forumsizen with crippling body dysmorphia. Try to hide your insecurity a little better bro.

I got sick of treadmills too. I run a lot and always try to go outside, but if there's a heavy hailstorm or lightning within 5 I'm just going to not run that day. Used to do treadmill runs at one gym with the fancy TV treadmills, if I used earbuds my arms would constantly get caught on the wire and violently snap them out of my ears. I also sweat a lot and not being able to wick it off with the wind really sucks.

On that note, I knew a guy in my hometown who would randomly mog some small local 5k every now and then. Usually getting around 14:30 or something crazy like that, just leaving everyone else in the dust. I talked to him once and asked him about how he trains: dude said he primarily runs on the fucking treadmill. Guess some people can handle the suffering better than I can.

So 1 track workout during the week. Something like that incorporates anything from 100m to 800m distances (ex. 10x400 at

You must slow down. Breathe in and out over a number of steps and get to know how long you can sustain that number. Once you are unable to get that many steps in, you have to slow it down a bit.

E.g., warm up: 5 in 5 out.
Meat of the run: 3 in 4 out.
Short sprint: 2 in 2 out.

Thanks a lot, user.

Depends on your goals, really.

I'd get to at least 45mpw but ideally closer to 50mpw if you've never run one before.

This isn't based on anything anecdotal but from what I've read other people do and suggest to do.

I just ran my first marathon. I didn't follow any specific plans but read quite a few (free ones online and ones friends had bought for their own training) to get a general idea on what my training should look like.

Generally, you should be increasing your weekly mileage gradually and peak and plateau for a couple weeks around 50mpw right up to starting a 3 week taper.

and that's for first-time marathoner plan. Once you have that under your belt, there are more specific plans that might be a little different if you have a specific goal pace (see the free Boston Athletic Association plans online for BQing)