Anyone here box?

anyone here box?

I feel like I should start but I'm being a little bitch about it. is it worthwhile?

Attached: classic-training-gloves_5.jpg (265x265, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rhThso-PE_o
youtube.com/watch?v=0JCr6EfleG8
youtu.be/zNMS60ppb9I
youtube.com/watch?v=mLvurRiXT4s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

do muay thai. it's better.

>is it worthwhile

yes. it's fucking awesome and can become addictive, be careful

lol'd

>paying to get CTE
just jump rope and get into car accidents

It's a very practical fighting style in a country where kicking people is considered assault with a deadly weapon.
I would say dont start boxing if you're not okay losing some teeth and some brain cells. Doctor and dentist visits can be pretty costly even if boxing itself is not so dont do it if you're financially struggling.

Everyone will laugh at you for being a KSI fan or a Logangster

I mainly want to do it for self defence reasons

>love boxing
>sparring day is my favourite day of the week
>confidence skyrocketed
>only hobbie that i really enjoy
gud
>afraid of cte
>afraid of losing some teeth
>wrist hurts so lifting has been reduced by 1/2
fugg :DDD

What are your long term goals in fitness?

If you think repeatedly taking blows to the head is a good idea then go for it, clearly nothing of value is being lost anyway

"It's better"
Phenomenal argument.

For boxing? Solely self defence.

Primarily I lift and play soccer.

Boxing, especially heavy bag training, is incredible cardio and extremely effective in building coordination, agility, and (of course) fighting skill. The posts about brain injury I will assume come from people who do not box, as almost no one spars at over 50% in club. It's just not worth the effort - people just don't learn much at 100% because they tend to let their technique slide and flail about. Sparring is a lot of fun, especially with someone else who actually wants to learn, and you will be totally gassed by the end.

I want to box, but I have cystic acne so I can't. Feels bad

Boxing is mostly cardio. We don't lift and mainly do calthenstics. So if that sounds fun to you do it. My routine is something like a 10km run everomy other day and 2 hour gym session doing boxing

>Basedthai
>Better
Yikes!

Follow-up: if you're interested in boxing purely for self-defence then give it a shot. Some people will argue that other martial arts are superior because they teach you more skills, such as kicks, throws, submissions, etc, but that's actually the beauty and utility of Boxing: there is only a small set of skills (jab, cross, hooks, uppercuts, evasion, footwork) to master and therefore you spend much more time honing each skill.

I am boxing. It is super fun. Would do jujitsu if we had a dojo here

This. I don't think the average person realizes how sensitive the brain is to trauma.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I actually have a punch bag at home but haven't mounted it yet in my new house and barely used it when I had it before.

Is it worthwhile just practicing at home?

>Solely self defence.

You're better off picking up something more well rounded like MMA/ jiu jitsu
To go into boxing with all heart, would mean
> You cannot squat as much
Heavy legs-> lower agility
>It is very core intense
Protecting your core from blows
>Self-defense...?
How it would actually help you in self defense, perhaps in quick-reaction time? You're better off developing brute strength (etc lifting/strongman) and crushing the person's arms in half

I'm stealing this thread.

Will doing a boxing/conditioning (heavy bag, pads, an occasional sparring, rope skipping, maybe some kettlebell swinging bullshit) workout once a week slow down my gains even if I increase caloric intake accordingly?

My routine would be AxBxACx (C is the boxing day, A and B are fbw). I'm a late intermediate lifter and a late beginner boxer, current goal is to get some quality mass during winter bulk.

wuz gona repli but got cte from typing impact and forgot :(

what does a typical day when you're lifting look like?

specifically, what's the volume like?

This poster has no idea what he's talking about

Yeah..

This part made me wonder:

>How it would actually help you in self defense, perhaps in quick-reaction time? You're better off developing brute strength (etc lifting/strongman) and crushing the person's arms in half

Practicing at home is great, if you had some practice in the gym first. Learn how to position yourself, stance, combinations, movement, evasions etc. Just punching it without proper training first could also lead to injuries of the wrist or shoulder.
Also, boxing without sparring is bit pointless, no point in even starting imo

Anybody who replies with "Enjoy your brain damage" is a coping pussy, just another whiney mouthbreather dipping into the excuse box to substitute for their fear of stepping into a boxing club and realise their not as tough as they believe they are. I've heard every excuse from my mates who refused to try it with me and they're all completely useless in a confrontation, best one was "Pffttt I don't to do boxing, I get enough women as it is"

I've been doing it on and off for 3 years, plan to join the uni club next term. It is hands down the biggest confidence booster and general conditioning sport there is. Despite what the brain damage posters will spout, you'll rarely get injured in sparring, the worst I ever had was a bloody nose.

Check out this interview with Mike Tyson and make your own decision on whether boxing turned him into a brainless mess.

youtu.be/rhThso-PE_o

Plenty of boxers end up messed up.
youtube.com/watch?v=0JCr6EfleG8

I don't think there's that much danger though if you're only doing it as a hobbyist and not working out at a meathead gym with constant hard sparring.

>t. braindamaged faggot

Mayweather reads like a 6 year old
youtu.be/zNMS60ppb9I

Sad. He was on track to be americas next great novelist before boxing...

>Anybody who replies with "Enjoy your brain damage" is a coping pussy, just another whiney mouthbreather dipping into the excuse box to substitute for their fear of stepping into a boxing club and realise their not as tough as they believe they are.
This

>Develop way above average cardio
>Learn how to punch effectively
>Learn how to avoid punches

No OP, it's not worthwhile

Thai fags get lost, for self-defense nobody needs to know how to defend against kicks and knees since most people are untrained and won't know how to throw them. 99/100 times if you can avoid punches and know how to throw them, you will win.

If self defense is your concern, then yes go boxing. People will tell you MMA, muay thai, BJJ, but it's nonsense. Basic boxing will put you ahead of most people in regards to what you need to know to win a fight.

Something like
3x3-5 bp
3x3-5 pendley
3x3-5 squat
3x8 ohp
3x8 weighted chin ups
3x8 romanian deadlifts
+ some accessories depending on how I feel and how much time I have left, not going crazy on it tho
I think it may be a bit much but I've just switched to this routine and it feels way better than PHUL. Dunno about adding that extra boxing day tho.

>afraid of cte
use helmet
>afraid of losing some teeth
use mouthguard
>wrist hurts so lifting has been reduced by 1/2
use hand wraps ffs

Pain is temporary, glory eternal.

>How it would actually help you in self defense, perhaps in quick-reaction time? You're better off developing brute strength (etc lifting/strongman) and crushing the person's arms in half
Wouldn't boxing make you have an advantage over your opponent, because you know how to fight? Why break your enemy's arm if you can pop him a few times until he's out? Seems more convenient to me. Grappling in a fight is more risky.

retard

youtube.com/watch?v=mLvurRiXT4s

It's good. All I do is speed bag, bag work, and spar.

Been doing it for two years and after about 3 months, I already felt like a beast and had so much more confidence.

Attached: 1540195481527.webm (960x540, 1.15M)

is there a rule where you have to get beaten up every boding seasson or why is everyone retarded?

want to start boxing too for reasons of
>cardio
>agility
>reaction
>know how to trhow a punch
>maybe find a varbie
no interest in sparing or tournaments or fights or whatever, nobody forces me in the ring right?

Attached: 1541188528757.jpg (1080x1255, 170K)

I went to several gyms looking around in my state and here is my advice
>most gyms do a free first class or week to see if you like it try them out
>avoid corporate locations that do shit like zumba boxing or the people in the gym are mom bloggers doing meme workouts
>look for the most ghetto or run down one the patrons at these are always shredded and acutally compete
>check muy thai gyms too more so if they are owned or run by an actual buff thai guy who used to be a champion

My gym I go to is owned buy the last point and its really small and shit. Its inside a storage garage that used to be a small car shop and there are only 15 regulars and the take the conditioning super seriously and are always up for either hard or soft sparring.

You want a gym where the instructor knows your limit and will happily push you past it. I come close to puking in training every time and my stamina is way better than it was even when i was running 4 miles every day for cardio

made me better at sex too. Do it

>thinks helmet stops rapid whiplash from constant impact

genius

boxing is great for self defense. If you end up in a fighting situation, punches are the most important thing, after that grappling and kicks.
Also actual boxing makes you getting used to fighting without good vision, quite handy in times, where every second idiot carries pepper spray.

who the fook is that guy

enjoy your brain damage

Attached: 1539970758186.jpg (540x536, 35K)

Even if you only spar and wear head gear?
> wanting to learn just to wreck the occasional uppity normie and God like cardio

Hell yeah man. It's one of the few ways to say "I do martial arts" without sounding like a weeb or a Monster-chugging edgelord. Doing boxing/wrestling and having some evidence for it is a good way to manage to look kinda badass even if you're fat or scrawny

The training and shit is.good exercise and you'll be in great shape, not to mention you'll have more confidence knowing that youre more capable in a fistfight. I wouldn't recommend much actual sparring though because your brain will pay the price.

No. You can't be a good fighter without sparring. Plus you need a coach to teach you good punch techniques. Unless you know how to snap your punches and not push them you'll just be getting good exercise and not learning how to box

Boxing will not help you with del-defense and anyone who tells you otherwise has not boxed. There's a reason we wrap our hands - bones are fragile and easily broken.

Mayweather never learnt to read. Legit.

does boxing give you speech impairments? i have a guy in uni who has been boxing for more than half of his life had his nose broken more than 15 times and he sounds kind of retarded while talking. very slow and cant always find the words hes looking for

I do lifting and boxing. Had my first fight a month ago 1st round knockout 2nd and 3rd round won on points. I usually box when there are matches coming up and register myself otherwise i just do lifting. In my boxing gym the beginners are seperate and the trainer advices that you need stay atleast 3 months at the beginners group to get better in technique. But i used to fight alot back in the days with my brothers and guys at school. I learned how to punch and kick by watching soccer and fighting games/ anime. And practice it in my room. So for me learning the basics was easy. I left the beginners group in the first week. I already knew how to slip and bob and weave because i learned myself by watching ppl who are good at it( mike tyson joe frazier etc). So basically i would advice to do some training at home. But is it worth it?: One day you will be tested if you are alpha.

Attached: 2000D6DE-464F-44C6-8698-8C7F84B61DD9-7567-000007FC322919BB.jpg (397x599, 27K)

|:)

I'm a DYEL and recently started a boxing class at my college. We don't do any fighting or sparring but we mix calisthenics with bag work.

It's pretty tough. After just a couple minutes of bag work I'm gassed. It's way more intense than running, and it actually leaves me sore the next day, which feels good. I was planning on joining a gym, but when the opportunity to take this class for a month came up, I decided it was the better option. This way it's really just getting in better shape in a fun way, although certainly I can throw a better punch now. I figure after this I might actually go to a boxing gym and spar, but like you I'm afraid of getting beat up. I especially don't want to take too many hits to the head, none preferably. so OP I'd say even if you don't want to actually spar you'll still have a good time just training by itself.

---------------------------

To those with more experience -- if I go to a local boxing gym can I do some light sparring and not get my head knocked all over the place? or should I expect to get hit pretty hard wherever I go?

I do boxing once or twice a week. Just started im on my 6th session.
Its really good cardio and strength training for your back muscles and core.
Requires a lot of stamina and you will get tired af when your punching the heavy bag.

I have spared like once and I found it to be really fun and competetive, we did body only shoths tho so I havnt been hit on the head hard yet. I also a medical student so I wont go full nigmode and get hit too much on the head.
I look forward to every session cause I dont exercise much and the boxing intensity really pay of and make you feel great afterwards

It depends.... in my gym the beginners spar with each other. But the others spar at 40% just to get better at technique and defense. But real sparring you need to ask the trainer first. Also i would train more of slipping and bob and weaving. Instead blocking everything.

I quit boxing after I got a concussion. Fuck that shit man, It's all fun in games until you get a fucking cerebral hetatoma and the only thing that can save is getting fucking drilled in the skull to relieve the pressure. It's safer to just train by yourself or just stick to mitts and light sparring.

no it dosnt necessarily do that, it depends cause speech impariments can be a young age and havnt been able to grow out of it or suddenly arise from traumatic events (head injury, snowboarding, getting hit, abuse at young age etc etc) Just ask him about it if your that curious. there is no exact cause to a speech impariment and thats why speech theraphist try different methods/techniques to prevent their speech disorder

right now I can't afford the boxing gym, is it worth it to try to train slipping and weaving technique just in training by myself or will it be a waste without a partner? Thanks for the advice btw

You can train the basics of slipping bobweaving by yourself. But you will learn more if you have partner. I would recommend hanging up a sack sand or stones 1 kg or something give it a push for a pendulum swing and slip bobweave it. It isnt the same experience with a partner but youll get good at it. Ive also done it.

Attached: 17C39407-954B-4848-B134-A60DFBBBACEF-13897-00000D7BB6E73AF5.jpg (480x360, 26K)

Thanks man, there is no small hanging thing I could do in our bag room but I may be able to try something in my room.

yes, my coach says I hit like a girl, I think its cause im a wristlet

Attached: mogged.jpg (634x422, 53K)

you better be going to an open boxing gym and not just faggot classes. spar and bag work, guy

>I already knew how to slip and bob and weave because i learned myself by watching ppl who are good at it
bitch what the fuck

most people here are mma fags that think they could take on anyone because they roll around on a mat with sweaty guys three times a week lmao

a few months of boxing training and you'll be able to make 90% of guys your bitch, regardless of how much rolling they do with other men. just don't compete if you're interested in keeping your brain functional

enjoy fucking up your brains for some brief boost false masculinity