From running to swimming

Why is swimming so hard and has anyone else experienced this?

I've been running for a couple years now, so my cardio is pretty good. I know I'm not that fast yet, but for having quit cigarettes just 4 years ago and losing 40lb I feel pretty good. Just ran my first marathon (8:26 pace), have a couple half marathons under my belt (7:28 pr pace), and I run a lot of 5ks (6:54 pr pace).

Recovering from my first marathon, a lot of the advice out there is to focus on cross-training for a while. I've decided to work some swimming into my routine. I've never swam for fitness or really done laps before; I took some lessons as a kid and I can avoid drowning.

Today, I went and swam ten laps. Holy fuck--after every lap I had to stop to catch my breath. Why is my cardio at swimming so bad when my cardio at running is at least above average? Anyone else have this problem transitioning from something else to swimming? Any advice on how to get good at this?

Attached: swimming-vs-running-720x500.jpg (720x500, 77K)

Water acts as resistance. Swimming is closer to sprinting than long distance running.

running is for people who's parents make less than 200k

fuck off poorfag. swimming is an upper class sport.

Actually I did swimming as a child and my dad only made 100k, so fuck off

When you swim, literally every single muscle is moving against resistance constantly. It's full body exercise and therefore causes a higher oxygen debt.

Can anyone speak to whether swimming made you a faster runner?

have you tried breathing while swimming and not just at the end of the laps?

but my face is in the water and breathing water makes my lungs angry

If you swim freestyle the same way I do, you pull yourself through the water with your arms and just use your legs to keep yourself horizontal. So for me at least it's mostly an upper body exercise. However, my coaches all throughout high school always told me that professional swimmers get most of their propulsion from their legs.
If you're new to swimming you probably are also inefficient in the water. For example a lot of new swimmers want to look up to see what's in front of them when they swim, instead of looking straight at the bottom of the pool. Doing this usually results in their legs dragging.

Attached: form_drag.jpg (525x326, 39K)

Do squats before swimming if you really wanna simulate drowning.

Thanks. Good things to think about

The exact opposite for me.
>tfw swam an hour nonstop today with no problem
>give out after like 8 minutes of running

Without flipturns I can literally swim indefinitely. After 5-10 minutes my body is in autopilot and I'm left alone with my thoughts.

It's quite meditative, actually.

Competitive swimmer here.

A friend of mine wisely stated that no one hates swimming more than swimmers.

It will always suck, no matter how good you get

you probably have shit form and don't really know how to swim well... I am the same. Take private lessons asap.

I've experienced this too back when I had 2 hour highschool swim practices. Euphoric.

Fuck turns. All of them, especially opens.
I started doing butterfly for my races a few years ago, both the best and worst choice I ever made.

people who is good at swimming tend to suck at running, let alone sprinting or strenght sports

for swinming you want muscles with the least density possible and being hypernobile

runners are kind of tight and have a little bit more density

let alone sprinters, pure DNA sprinters cant do shit on water, this applies to weightlifters or pure power genetics oriented people

this is what im talking about

unironically kill yourself

I haven't done butterfly in so long that I actually forgot how to do it. I feel like a fish out of water trying to swim fly.

Triathlete here

Swimming is all all all about technique. Water has 100x the resistance that air does. You cannot brute force your way through

to run harder, you push harder, you explode harder, you pop off each step harder

with swimming, you find the way to reduce resistance, to slip through. Pulling harder mostly makes you more tired

HOW
O
W

A lot of people talk about technique in this thread. What would the best way to work on this? Should i just get a month of classes?
I lift bodyweight on all my lifts, and do yoga, so i thought my body was fairly balanced. If i keep a good diet i will have abs in a month, but i did 125m in a pool and the DOMS fucked me for like 2 days.

Please help

Attached: 1390753857955.jpg (1983x2644, 636K)

I've been swimming for most of my life and haven't been critiqued on my form in years, in all honesty it's probably shit now. If you're new to swimming, it will probably take a while to adapt. You'll be tired and sore often, but you'll get there.

If you're clueless sign up for beginner classes, but if you can swim 125 you should get intermediate/advanced classes which will help you with technique.