Martial arts general

Martial arts general

I think we should have a general like this on fit

>what martial art do you practice?
>for how long?
>do you compete?

I do muay thai and bjj, dont compete or anything, just like doing it cuz its good fun.

Attached: images (1).jpg (259x194, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y5Z4HMyzfbA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

/MAG/ martial arts general
/FSG/ fight sports general
/CSG/ combat sports general (also counters strike global)

Also I just started BJJ 2 months ago, love it so far.

>be kid
>get signed up for taekwondo
>three years later I get a "black belt"
>"cool i'm a badass, I should use my powers for good!"
>get knocked out by older kid while trying to do my 'form'

srsly tho, it seems a little dangerous to give naive children fake combat education

>College has Karate or Taekwondo before BJJ practice.
>I go 10 mins early I like to stretch out a lot
> See skelly trying to throw head kicks while some fat dude is rolling around in a corner.
> 'Sensi' is a 20 something year old 3rd degree black belt has like 4 years experience.
>get to talking about BBJ and belts
>mention how a BJJ blue belt probably has 3 years, Black belt probably 15.
> ' wow thats way to long ' says fatty
> ' BJJ is a bit more complex than karate' says I
> ' This is Taekwondo ' said the fatty with clearly angered

Why are they prideful of such a useless skill

TKD always sounds like such a meme MA. Is it just shit schools?

Do these exist already?

if there is no wrestling for adults because europe should i try bjj? did some striking - kickbox and muay thai. how do i balance it with lifting?

Hey trained martial autists of the world, what is the best lift for improving your snap? I wanna be a devastatingly strong puncher and kicker and I gotta know what lifts are best to do for carryover. Should I drop deadlifts and OHP and trade them out for powercleans and push presses?

I was thinking of names for the thread if it is made.

Yeah, i'd say go for BJJ if you want grappling. It's considered one of the best MAs in that regard.

Ah, i'll keep that in mind. Hopefully the thread picks up a bit of pace. I love talking about MA stuff.

Judo, it’s cheaper and meshes better with striking since you don’t bend down for takedowns as mich

>doing martial arts
>not being born strong af and a fighting genius
heh

Attached: 6742C79E-2D76-4D20-B5D2-74FAA4B0E8C0.jpg (1022x651, 80K)

what about mma?

I like mma, was thinking of joining a mma gym. But im not sure yet, i think i have pretty good basics with muay thai and bjj.

if you are in yurop i would do judo. the overall quality of judo there is much higher than bjj. if you were in the states/canada/gb i would say the opposite

Here is a question for you guys, looking to enter my first competition after 4 montys of bjj training. Obviously this makes me a white belt in the gi division, but for nogi it tells you to enter divisions by your years of grappling experience instead of bjj experience. I wrestled for 8 years which puts me in the advanced division. My coach told me that I could enter the intermediate division instead as I am clearly not ready for the advanced division. I have no idea how to hit/defend any of this shit, so I am going to get fucked up by leg locks and shit.

Why is this a rule? Apart from better physical conditioning folkstyle wrestling contributes very little to submission grappling. It feels like I'm being sandbagged in order to protect other chubby beginners.

Attached: 20181105_150957.jpg (941x1292, 184K)

Takedowns still grant points don’t they? So if you manage to take a dude down and not get submitted you’ll be ahead of others, so you’ll gain points, i think. Also to defend against beginning leg locks using a decent amount force is probably allowed, so go for it

This. Then after you get your bb in judo, join a BJJ gym. Everyone will love/fear you for being the "judo guy" and you'll have a huge advantage in competitions.

>am going to get fucked up by leg locks and shit.

Yes. You will be swimming in deep waters without understanding the danger until it's too late. Put in your time at your gym until you understand the more advanced techniques. Anyone worth a damn will greatly appreciate the "wrestler's intensity" that you bring.

Attached: heelhook.gif (500x281, 1.56M)

why did you have to be so aggressive
you could of been nice to him, got him to come to his class and strangled the fuck out of him with his own gi.

I have just begun practicing boxing, I want to go pro in either boxing or MMA

I also do Muay Thai/BJJ and do not compete either. I have been training like 4 months and I love it. Good stress reliever, I have dropped like 10 pounds and a couple of inches with out changing my diet and I feel physically stronger and my conditioning is improving daily

Currently White belt w/1 stripe and my 1st goal is to make blue belt.

this happened to me with karate only because we never sparred

Its because they teach you the moves, but you never apply it to an actual combat situation where you would use the marital arts.

Judoka here
>for how long?
4th year
Got my blue last year, very good defense., kinda clumsy on throws but a bunch of second dans said i was good enough so...
>do you compete?
Twice
The first when i was 3 months in, they graded me early so i can enter a high school tournament, everyone else was a brown and one was a blue, got merked.
Second i was a green, and got ippon in all matches.

BJJ doesn't work in street fights, neither do Muay Thai meme kicks

Muay thai. Fucking brutal.

Im currently undergoing a crash course on leg locks for the competition, but it still feels like bullshit. A slight advantage in takedowns does not seem equal to the risk I will be putting my legs in. Why should I have to never walk again just so some other guy doesn't have to learn how to sprawl. Hell aren't most elevation changes due to guard pulling anyways?

Just be very care full with your legs.

>BJJ and boxing
>BJJ 5 years boxing 1
>in BJJ yes, boxing not yet

I posted in a martial arts thread few months ago, anyway, competed for the first time as a purple belt and got gold. Not nearly as terrible as I was expecting it to be. Got another one coming in two weeks

Attached: output.webm (640x360, 2.9M)

Hahaha I'd love to see you limp around trying to box or whatever you think wins fights after taking a few good low kicks

Yurop too, the last old local wrestling place shut down here a few years ago, but the Chechens have taken over, set up a new place, and I'll be damned if they don't know how to wrestle. Should go there more often but already occupied with Judo/BJJ - which is incidentially what I'd recommend if there's no wrestling available: crosstraining Judo and BJJ.

You should compete as a blue belt in the gi if you have 8 years wrestling experience.

You can do a calf slicer from single leg ride. Should be a familiar position? youtube.com/watch?v=y5Z4HMyzfbA

Only engage on your terms. Keep your weight low and on top of your legs. Control their legs with hands from open guard so they don't get silly leg lock guards, sit on their feet/at least one leg when fighting half/butterfly guard. Do not let your legs get pulled away from underneath you. Bail and reset if it happens, then attack again. Try to steamroll with wrestling intensity and don't get caught in triangles on the way.

Also, when caught in a leg lock, DO NOT SPAZ. That's how you turn a potential but small injury into a serious one. Stay calm, tap if you have to.

t. BJJ purple/Judo forever brown belt who trains with wrestlers. I like leg locks, and that's their best game plan to stuff that part of my game.

bump

Bjj, Judo
>for how long?
18 years, 10 years.
>do you compete?
To old boomer for this shit.

Attached: 1346486416020.gif (320x180, 3.1M)

Depends on Eastern or Western or Nordic
Esteran got wrestling everywhere
Werstern is more Judo
Nordic more wrestling
Judo is fun, bjj is better imo, but you may find the opposite.
DL and squats for raw power, but technique, i.e. punching more will give you the result you want.
Follow what your coach told you. Fork will give you awesome scramble and the drive to throw your opponent easily.
Grappling and bjj are best fought from top, which you focus a lot on folk style and wrestling in general.
ouch!

Attached: 18-GSP-vs-Pete-Spratt-.gif (230x170, 1.28M)

>18 years of Judo
Do tell, how to combine Judo with leg grab attacks? I only started Judo in 2010 when the first restrictions on leg grabs were introduced so I still learned some - and I learned a good bit of wrestling through BJJ - but I'm wondering what I missed out on when it comes to really weaving Judo and leg grabs together.

decent tkd schools are few and far between, most are just cash grab after school programs or dressed up cardio for boomers

Try it faggot.
Boxing > Muay Thai

Attached: nate.jpg (311x162, 8K)

bump

That's why I like boxing a lot more than any other conventional martial art. It's more primal. Sure some amount of thinking goes into a fight but most fights are over in under 30 seconds. They should be reactionary and instinctual. Real fights are nothing like those methodical slow Taekwondo tournament videos you see on youtube. Also take what I said with a huge grain of salt. I have never trained in any kind of martial art and only have an enthusiasts interest in these combat sports. Closest I got was a 1-2 jab duck practice in gym when i wasn't lifting.

Wrestling pairs well with Boxing and kickboxing

bjj 1 year
muay thai 5 months but ive taken a break
wrestling 3 months

Muay thai + bjj is a lot better than just boxing for a street fight lol

Would actually recommend wrestling or Judo over BJJ because both have sufficient ground work to control almost any untrained individual, plus they have far better takedown defense and focus more on getting up again instead of staying on the ground. Two things I value more in uncontrolled circumstances.

t. BJJ purple belt

>>what martial art do you practice?
Judo now, used to train in Sambo
>>for how long?
Judo for 1 year now, Sambo for 7 years back when I was younger
>>do you compete?
did in Sambo, not yet in Judo. Mostly cuz Im busy with schoolwork but I want to go to a tournament soon

>always wanted to do some martial art
>always was the chubby kid
>lost weight now, 23yo this year
Is it too late to start now?
I feel like if I go there will be really tough guys there and shit. In my country most of the martial arts people are sort of low lifes.

It's not too late. Try to find a place with a good instructor and make friends at the gym.

Judo

>1 friend wants me to train Muay Thai with him
>1 friend wants me to train BJJ with him

which is best to jump straight into , being a big unflexible piece of meat

MT you will become flexible and lose fat then you can go BJJ

/mag/ was what the old one on /asp/ was called, I think it just fizzled out because everyone hated the WWE-fags so much.
/csg/ came up on fit a few times already, if you want this to become a regular thing I´d pick either of the two.

/csg/ would be great except it always dies when the same old faggots come along:
>just buy a gun
>aikido/krav maga is better
The OP needs to address these topics and put them to bed. Something like
WHAT THIS PLACE IS
Somewhere to discuss your training for combat sports.
WHAT IT IS NOT
Somewhere to talk about firearms or TMAs. We don't care.

Anyway, have to skip kickboxing tonight to go to a stupid pub quiz thing.

Gonna start going to Judo soon.
I'm mainly a striker but I wanna know how to throw people bigger than me on the ground, preferrably without getting to the ground myself.

Will I get what I'm looking for there?

nope Any good martial arts gym will wel come you. generally MA can be a home for the outcasts

Mauy Thai, Kali, pistol and jujitsu.

7 years

Twice in bjj
Looking for a striking fight.
I didn't get mugged once if that counts as competing.

Attached: IMG_0276.jpg (640x424, 166K)

Eh.. i like the thread so far. Its just a bit dead, i thought there would be more people that are into MA on fit

Boxing

>for how long?
Not very long, just a little over a month and a half, the coach seems impressed over how much I've improved

>do you compete?
Not yet but I intended to start competing next year either a little bit after my trip to Japan, ora bit before it, we'll see how we go.

Attached: 1533465356052.jpg (1280x720, 438K)

I skipped yesterday too. Back when I was a worthless neet and MA was the only time I left my apartment I always looked forward to it and was sad when training was over but now that I work full time and have another job on the side I´m sometimes just so tired and just want to stay home.
Things are much better overall now but that part still sucks.

Yes, but throwing bigger people is always going to be at least moderately tough if they have an okay sense of balance. That said, this morning I repeatedly threw a guy who's easily 20kg heavier than I am.

Bump

>grappling industries is coming to a city near me in a month
>weight classes are 180 210 230 and over 230
>weigh 223 wet as of yesterday

Do I cut to 210 or stay in 230? Anyone ever competed at grappling industries? I'm half tempted to enter the 230+ class as I was 240 in wrestling wrestling 285 and mauled the big guys by waiting until they gassed. I can't find anything in the rules about jumping up a weight class.

Big guys are easy to throw, I almost exclusively used throws back in wrestling because I was wrestling up 40-50 pounds and did not like to get caught under the big guys. As long as you are explosive, which that guy should be as a striker, it's not that difficult because their tip point is so much higher and they got so much more mass. Just have to throw them past the tip point and drag them down. He will end up on the ground as well, but 99 times out of 100 you can control it so you end up on top, so just stand up if you don't want to be on the ground.

BJJ
>for how long?
Two months.
>do you compete?
No, and I don't really want to either.

I started to have an excuse to go out since I don't have any as neet otherwise, and it's been really fun so far.

Same as I feel like the training ends too quickly, but at least I should be able to do more in a month when I get my third stripe and can do free sparring.

>when I get my third stripe and can do free sparring

Ah it's one of those. Do you do positional sparring? Any submissions? In any case you're gonna be rekt at the end of training when you start rolling.

>three stripe white belt
>in three months
>with no live sparing

Did you wrestle at a high level with a basic knowledge of judo or is your gym this shitty? I would highly recommend tou go to a competition to see where you rank with other white belts because it sounds like you are at a belt factory. How many people at your gym compete and how do they do? Who is your gym affiliated under?

Short stocky guys suck ass though, I usually end up baiting them and countering rather than a straight up throw

His gym probably uses white belt stripes as an attendance marker to see where they are in the curriculum and what classes they can attend. Stripes don't really matter and it can happen if it's a big school, so long as they don't keep doing it for the 4th stripe and blue and up I don't see a problem.

Muay Thai - 6 Years
Wrestling - 3 Years
BJJ - 2 Years

sambo spot for 225 a month
muay thai spot for 250 a month
mma spot for 175 a month
Which should i choose? I have a background in judo and want to continue training. these spots honestly feel too expensive to me but thats what i get for growing up in jew york

Sambo

We do positional sparring, but we start in say closed guard, and have to either get back control, or a submission, and then restart. We do like 4 five minute rounds with two different partners each time.
I have done full rolling only to submission once and it was nice, but I just don't have the moves to do it effectively.
As it is I'm rarely truly tired after training. There's a few fun times where I'm with a more aggressive partner, but that's not a common occurrence.

It's Gracie Barra.
I don't know about the belt factory thing, I have heard that one guy got a blue belt in 9 months but he had 7 years of judo experience beforehand, but 7 years of judo has to make a difference during that.
I'm pretty sure one of the people in our gym was national champion, and several people competed on a similar level so that shouldn't be a problem.
And competition sounds sounds too anxiety inducing, I like being able to take my time and slowly get a submission. And usually lose in the process, but during sparring I can do it again right away, where as in competition if I lose I'm out.

Yeah, the stripes are attendance based. And everybody above three stripes is encouraged to do free sparring after a lesson, which is what I'm waiting on.

I don't know if I would have continued bjj if I didn't get to free roll until 3 months in, but I understand why schools do it. So do you only spar with other 1-3 stripe white belts too? If you've never rolled with a colored belt then you're definitely in for a surprise.

Gracie Barra are known as a money grubbing franchise, but they're not all the same. Do you have to buy their gi and pay for belt testing?`Some of them don't even allow you to train at other schools.

Shit m8 id do mma if only cause it’s the cheapest and you have a background. Jesus I’d pay that much in a year

Go for MMA desu

>meme kicks
clinch fighting is one of the main reason you learn muay thai in the first place

implying you dont get kayoed after the first leg kick

Gonna sign up for kickboxing at my college. Im a 290 lb fatty what should i expect

>tfw might have to sign up to a second bjj school to get challenged and taught enough

Attached: 1467656254712.jpg (264x359, 15K)

Predominantly wrestling and boxing. CACC/CSW.
>for how long?
Been wrestling since high school. So a little less than 14 years. Only 2 years of boxing experience tho.
>do you compete?
Rarely. I mostly train and teach kids/novices folkstyle.

Attached: 1541357157775.jpg (1200x800, 191K)

you'll be impervious to body shots and will hit really hard. The first time I sparred a true bloatmode fatty I was shocked.

Tang Soo Do black belt. Been training for 15 years. I used to compete in sparring tournaments. Judo brown belt, never competed but looking to. I mostly train for fun. But I also teach.

I am looking to compete at tournaments that use kyokushin rules.

Attached: sketch-1532223983606.png (1439x1080, 415K)

I do have to buy their gi, and the belt testing is free.
And from what I can tell there is not a single other bjj school in my city, so this is all I get.
I don't know if I should buy the gi. I need another one, but I'm planning on moving to a different country and I doubt I'll go to gracia barra there.

I’m 30 and plan on taking my fist Bjj class on friday. Will I look like an ass?

Sure, but they're used to it. Cut your nails and don't smell.

What's the fit consensus on catch wrestling?

Leg locks, slicers and neck cranks should be day 1 shit. the fuck is this

Wrestling for about 2 months.
I do plan on competing. First competition will hopefully be in December.

To other wrestlers here, what's the normal amount of riding time each person accumulates each round/match? Some people likely use riding timers to accumulate most of their points, but I'm referring to everyone else. Also, advice for being top and being bottom?

>inb4 "never choose bottom"

Hear about it.
Never seen it done ever to be honest.

bjj purple belt but I haven't trained in a couple years

spent 5 years at blue belt lmao, trained 3x a week the whole time

Without question you will look like a silly uncoordinated schmo. But they all did at one point, every badass purple and brown belt you see will have once been a day one newbie white belt. Remember: a black belt is just a white belt who didn't quit.

If some of the higher belts are a bit standoff-ish, it's because the dropout rate for white belts is very high. It's tough to make friends and get attached to a newbie, only for them to completely vanish after 6 months. Some of the veterans have been hurt too many times.

Just to show up that first day and get on the mat is an enormous accomplishment. It will get easier with time. Expect to feel clueless and confused for 3 months. You will feel completely proprioceptively retarded when shown moves to drill. After that time you'll be more comfortable with the routine, but then the depths of your suckiness will start to dawn on you, as you roll more and get insta-tapped by the higher belts. Most of the other white belts will manhandle you and tap you with ease. This will last for a very long time, and it cannot be overstated how much of a character building ordeal it will be for you.

I've only been at it for a year, but after all the injuries, sweat on the mats, blood on my gi, and days upon days of aching muscles, I can now say the me from just one year ago would be terrified to encounter the me of today. Though I'm still just a trash-tier white belt, that man wouldn't stand a chance against me today. And I look forward to saying the same a year from now.

"Endure. In enduring, grow strong."

Attached: LYJBciq.jpg (500x482, 15K)

A lot of martial arts use kicks because they work. Legs are your longest weapon. I've gotten pretty fucked up by trying to just box kickboxers

Jimi Manuwa didn't start training mma until he was like early 30s and he's currently ranked top 10 in the UFC 205lbs division. Not too late!!!

Are you sparring? When I started it took awhile to get used to sparring so I recommend doing as much as possible before live competition

I was lucky to start training at one of the first gyms that opened in my area so we were all white belts

nice post :3

Attached: goodjob.gif (168x217, 840K)

I train Muay Thai at a local gym run by a Brazilian. The guy that runs it has fighters competing all over the local area. I had to pick up some Portuguese because he speaks it so often when he teaches.

Attached: Dan-Banner-Photo.jpg (400x600, 75K)

Intriguing but potentially mean as fuck submissions. Tried some of them, let's say I was using little to no force but not all of my sparring partners walked away without injury. I've become really careful with that stuff.

18 of bjj.
Actually bjj from 2000 till today
Judo 8 years on and off then for two years now again.
If you did wrestling, you're not losing much, but mainly the kata guruma (fireman carry) variation and Te guruma (high crotch) variation and use as a counter against ippon seoi nage, kibisu gaeshi and kukishi taoshi after a failed ouchi gari and of course ouchi gari blocking the leg. Those are the ones I miss the most.
Sambo will feel the most familiar with you.
Any of those you like, or depending on how robust your wallet is.

Attached: 1414281874464.webm (854x478, 654K)

Bump

Attached: Spinning fail 1_2.webm (640x360, 2.81M)