Go to the gym almost no one does deadlift. See maybe 1 person doing it sometimes. How safe is this shit...

Go to the gym almost no one does deadlift. See maybe 1 person doing it sometimes. How safe is this shit. Most people I see are looking big without doing it and then speaking to people it seems like they always snap some shit up deadlifting.

Attached: how-to-deadlift-layne-nortons-complete-guide-graphics-3.jpg (714x469, 102K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/4/1/e000382
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't ever see big guys at my gym deadlift over 3pl8 unless they are a #powerlifter, they focus on other stuff that actually build mass

>wearing a helmet for your deadlift in case you pass out and fall over

deadlifting feels good man.

This is the only reason for deadlifting, you feel awesome.

>not wearing goggles on your diddlys in case your eyes pop out
Never gonna make it

Deadlifting is fun and I would keep doing it even if proven to have no muscle building benefits at all

Saw a dude at my gold's last night DL 5 and a half plates, was pretty badass seeing that.

>guy that weighs probably 300 pounds comes in screams at the top of his lungs lifting 4.5 plates
I mean it’s a lot more than I can lift but I just wasn’t impressed given how huge he is

Yeah this dude doing 5 and a half I watched was pretty built, but probably 5'7 at the most and he wasn't even taking the bar all the way to the ground. He was in a rack and lifting off the safety bars. Still, I couldn't swing 545 pounds like that

That's a rack pull not a deadlift. A deadlift is always pulled from the ground.

That's called a rack pull, friend, not a deadlift.

People in commercial gyms either deadlift a ton or not at all. A few guys at LA pull 5-6pl8 and then everyone else tops out at 405 singles. Its safe if you do it right and dont max out all the time

lol holy shit you can’t make this shit up boys

Didn't we have this exact same thread ages ago?

I just love doing them, not gonna lie. I throw some RDL 3x10-12 after my heavy DL sets for mass and that's it.

If you're going for mass and hypertrophy, not power lifting then skip it. There's so many other exercises that are safer and better.

The biggest guys struggle to deadlift 4 plates while they incline bench press 3 plates for 10 reps.
Deadlifts are a meme mass builder, the only exercises worth a fuck are presses, rows, pullups, shoulder raises, curls, extensions.
Anything else is just a stupid shit meme spread by gymcels with 15" arms.

Oh, sorry friendos I'm new to this. Thanks for the correction
Rude >:(

t. Weak af roid monkey

lmao6plaet 1rm checking in. I've never injured myself doing conventional deadlifts. start lighter than you should, increase weight slow and steady over time, and don't ego lift and force garbage reps and you'll adapt and not hurt yourself.

fucking faggots

t. weak and small gymcel dyel looking ass that gets mogged by non lifters in the looks department

>Coping this hard
It must really surprise people when somebody who looks like absolute garbage can pick up 500 pounds off the floor, too bad you’re still small, ugly and unathletic.

I’m starting to go to the gym and doing SS but I have yet to see anyone deadlift so I don’t even know how or where I would do it. The idea of a DYEL weakling like myself trying to deadlift in a gym where no one at all does it seems weird to me

jesus christ, you know Jow Forums's gone to shit when people are actively discouraging deadlifts

Attached: 1326146785962.png (300x289, 23K)

Deadlifting is the most dangerous expertises in the gym. That's why no one does it

You're literally a retarded YouTube lifter if you think deadlifting is cool.

If your gym has isolated black little platforms, that's usually where people do those sort of lifts. When I went to 24hour they had no designated area, so I had to deadlift behind the bench presses like an animal.

Like any other exercise it becomes dangerous when you use bad form. What separates DLs is that it's a relatively complex movement and it can be very difficult for beginners to know if they're doing it correctly. You simply cannot accurately judge how good your form is unless you either record your sets or have someone who actually knows their shit watch you.

Every day I see groups of guys deadlifting, taking turns watching one another cheering one another on as they scared-cat back the entire thing. I see trainers add more and more weight onto the client's bar when every single rep of the last set was an abomination.

By it's very nature people are drawn to going heavier and heavier until they're doing 1 rep maxes while still having no clue how to actually do the lift properly.

In short the exercise itself is fine. It's the people that are retarded.

I go to a normie as fuck gym, literally local government community centre type deal and pretty much everyone who uses free weights deadlifts

Attached: 1504569315130.jpg (799x518, 87K)

you have no idea how retarded normies are, if they see a workout that somebody told them its dangerous they'll stay away from it like it has AIDS, that's why all gym bros and cardio bunnies stay away from heavy weight compound lifts

Hell they almost banned creatine once for being a "drug"

I'm not saying deadlifts are a death sentence, but as far as popular lifts go they're verifiably the most dangerous. But yeah your advice is still right, but for aesthetics they're better alternatives.

>I’m starting to go to the gym and doing SS but I have yet to see anyone deadlift so I don’t even know how or where I would do it. The idea of a DYEL weakling like myself trying to deadlift in a gym where no one at all does it seems weird to me
On the other hand it seems like you are the only one that has at least entry level knowledge of weight lifting and is on the path to be more competent and overall more trained then those people.

Squats are also harder and more complicated then deadlifts.

He was probably 5’3” and he name is alexander

no, the bench is.
literally the lift where most people die, in fact maybe the only one aside of crossfit idiots doing cleans/snatches with retarded form

I also switched from deadlift to rack pulls. I'm now at a point where I am constantly tired all the time and it never seems to be the right day for deadlifts, rack pulls hit your back better and are way less stressful, for deadlifts you need a perfect day and be in a perfect mood while eating a shitload or else you are weak as fuck (my best deadlift was 210 kg and sometimes I already stressed out on 180 kg, it's that bad).

They're smart. Deadlifting probably injures more people than any other exercise per capita at the gym.

deadlifting correctly is the best possible lift you can do. Using your entire body as one is always best. The most important muscle is the one between your ears

Deadlifts are less dangerous than bench press, but both are dangerous if you're a literal retard who uses a hypertrophy routine without pinning.

you are always flirting with injury doing deadlifts I don't give a fuck how tight your form is
not really worth it unless you're a competitive powerlifter imo

If you only ever look at your dick, why lift at all?

>clowning around with lads
>deadlift in increasingly absurd areas
>get asked to stop several times
>end up loading lmao3pl8 in showers
>slips right out of my wet hands
>newdraininstallation.exe
>never go back

That's pretty based

You're always flirting with injury when you do bicep curls. Have you ever had tendonitis?

I was deadlifting and had some dude staring at me once. Had good form, locked eyes with him and let out a fart to assert my dominance.

Can someone explain to me why deadlift wouldn't be an excercise worth doing?

This is a retarded argument. It's simply not worth doing even if it's "the best possible lift". That's what you don't seem to understand.

A lot of people have herniated discs from deadlifting less than 300 pounds. It's too easy to fuck up for the little reward you get over doing other exercises.

Squat is a great exercise that uses the whole body and is much safer than deadlifting.

based and redpilled
what country are u from

Because stop watching YouTube fitness gurus and powerlifting gurus that are selling you books.

There's nothing special about the deadlift and it's by far the most dangerous exercise.

epic meme

What's gonna give you a more aesthetic physique?
Deadlifting 5 plates, or doing 25+ consecutive pullups?
Which one has a bigger injury risk?
Which one requires the most equipment?
Which one burns you out more mentally?

Oh come on you could at least put together good bait!

you might be able to fool a newfag with this bait

Fuck you people, I'm a noob and managed to deadlift my bodyweight for the first time 5x5 with good form yesterday and I'm planning on doing it again tomorrow, but you're discouraging me

ignore people like this you'll be fine

LMAO

No shitposting, I got my deadlift to 385 and have pretty much stopped doing them. When I get over 350 I have this irrational feeling that it's getting too risky and the way it feels when you're holding that much weight in your hands is just weird.

Herniated disks are risky business.

cope by gymcels that know I'm right

>no one answered this honestly
really makes you think about our society

deadlifts are garbage for aesthetics and overall fitness compared to even the simplest of exercises like pullups and that is the absolute truth, anything else is cope

deadlifts and squats are the only exercises I enjoy lately, glad I'm not the only one

I actually do want to hear about the other increasingly absurd areas you dead lifted

start deadlifting and start mogging guys stronger than you once you reach 3pl8 while they stick to curls

Do your deadlifts, user. Don't listen to calisthenics fags.

>t. Can't even deadlift your own weight.

Bench press kills people, deadlifts hurts the idiots that refuse to put the bare minimum mental effort to learn proper form

you must be actually retarded to compare bicep tendonitis to a herniated or bulged disc, the consequences of form breakdown on a curl vs. a deadlift are worlds apart, deadlift/squat related injuries are almost always worse due to the weight and structures involved

they're pretty safe if done correctly unless you have pre-existing issues that contraindicate deadlifts or anthropometry that does not permit you to pull from the floor with a neutral spine (long legs + short arms go here, or just really long legs and very tall)

but that being said they are still responsible for the most back injuries out of all lifts, this is only one meta-analysis but it supports what common sense and lifting experience tells us which is that most people who seriously snap their shit up do so deadlifting bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/4/1/e000382

not trying to discourage you from deadlifting, just be smart about it, going for one more rep when you really shouldn't carries way more serious injury consequences on deadlifts/squats than other lifts

If I’m new and trying to do SS is there an alternative to deadlifts

i've deadlifted 5pl8 but haven't hit 25 pullups yet

but it's very fucking obvious that pullups/chinups are way more relevant to aesthetics to anyone who actually lifts, anyone pretending otherwise is a powerfat or an SS babby

Any advice on form. I've read articles, watched videos, had my partner record me.
Just looking for a quick checklist so I don't have too much to overthink or possibly forget while I'm trying not to blow a disc, knee or nut.

what also separates it is that the shear force on the lower back (which is what discs tolerate poorly) is the highest with a deadlift to begin with, and spinal flexion makes the shear jump up drastically, and on top of that you're talking about an injury to an area that is highly innervated, located right next to the spinal cord, and has poor bloodflow and takes years to heal (and sometimes never fully does)

deadlifting is uselless for aesthethics and that why most people lift

I’d say about 50% of the people at my gym deadlift, and everybody who looks good besides the roiding grandpas deadlifts.
Not everybody who deadlifts looks good by any stretch, but everybody at my gym who looks good deadlifts.

>hundreds of people die in car crashes every week
>guess I'll just never use a car again
This is how stupid you look when you tell someone they will hurt themselves deadlifting 200 fucking pounds

most people start off deadlifting more than 200lbs and will be pulling 405 within a few months, so you're very quickly working with weight that can cause an injury

using a car is something most of us have to do to be functional members of society, deadlifting might be a lot of fun but it is 100% optional for anyone who isn't a powerlifter (btw that means you physically step on a platform at a pl meet)

Only ego lifters neglect form for better numbers

You best BELIEVE I’m the center of attention

Attached: F17823C3-F87F-45D2-B41B-BF8DAD7C1619.png (624x848, 362K)

you can get injured without any form breakdown at all, it happens all the time to lifters far more experienced than you are (see: Candito, Chad Wesley Smith, Mike Tuscherer) lifting submaximal loads in training

good form is not a magical elixir that prevents all injuries, it just tips the balance in your favor

Deadlifts are a fucking meme. Most people I know who lift look good without deadlifting, and then I see plenty of dyels doing deadlifts, but they look garbage.

>what is over training

a meme

at most it's more like "under-recovered" in a single factor sport like powerlifting, and yes, you may have to train hard to make gains at some point which you will realize a few years in

People diddly all the time in my gym. So far I've seen a lot of non-memey rare shit all sorts of people were doing too. But I'm yet to see a girl actually benching something more than just a bar. They never approach bench area at all.

Deadlifting is a compeltely useless exercise for building muscle.

Just isolate legs if u want legs, squats etc.. and do upper body for upperbody...

Attached: 435345345345345.jpg (529x800, 338K)

Most people that have "back problems''....it's usually lower back isn't it? Out of all the things you could do in a gym, probably the most useful would be strengthening your lower back.

Aren't deadlifts the main lower back exercise? What else can you do for the lowest part of your back?

This.

When I was 17 I thought I was cool deadlifting doing sets of 8 reps. What you don't realize is it takes so much mental strength out of you that you lose your form. I snapped some shit up and couldn't walk for 2 weeks.

Deadlifts are no joke. If you're young don't do it, period. Unless you want permanent nerve damage.

Squats you retard. Not deadlifts.

depends on the cause of the back pain

it could be muscular, disc related, it might not even have a structural cause at all, some people do find deadlifting and squatting helps their back pain but other people have developed back pain as a result of squatting and deadlifting

Herniated disk pulling 400.

Took a few months off and started back at 135 and worked my way back up. Stronger than ever.

Do your bodies not heal or what

>dont do hypertrophy without pinning ever
Congratulations youre officially the biggest retard ive ever seen

squats have only marginally lower risk of lower back injury than deadlifts, and loads more knee and hip injury risk

doesn't make any sense to not do one because of risk but keep doing the other

That's nice, but wait for 10 years and you'll start to feel your nerves flaring up.

>do muay thai as ottermode dyel
>can't throw anyone at all
>start lifting
>quickly reach 3platex5 diddly after 4 months
>get into clinch and get the bodylock
>just toss people like nothing

Cool so I'll get pain pills easier when I retire.

What's the downside here

>having chronic pain from deadlifting

No thanks

I mean i actually did it a long time ago and felt all the nerve pain but honestly it's not that bad.

I've had my actual torso broken in half before breaking basically every body so maybe it's just a matter of perspective.

Just sounds like some bitch shit desu

>I've had my actual torso broken in half before breaking basically every body
BBW accident?

TL;DR anybody who says you can't bounce back from a back injury is a pussy. Farmers and coal miners been doing that shit forever.

Like literally just don't be a pussy and listen to your body if it needs a little break.

are squats as dangerous as deadlifts?

slightly less to your back, much more to your knees and hips

you're all fucking pussies, like 25% of 20 year olds have protruding spinal discs from doing nothing

Lol something like that. Broke all my ribs and sternum, took a year or two before I could do push-ups again.

Benching 300 right now.

Fuck all that giving up shit, don't let anybody scare you out of getting strong.

Don't force damage on yourself but your body will let you know what it can handle

And honestly it was a huge punch in the gut, went from a 2 plate bench to couldn't get out of bed without help and had to roll over on my stomach and then out of bed.

But it made me really motivated to not only bounce back but Come back stronger than ever.

Gonna try and hit a 4 plate bench wish me luck bro's.

And thanks, you guys helped a lot actually