Jow Forums literature

What's your Jow Forums approved reading? Been getting back into philosophy recently and want to get out of my Socrates/Hume/Camus/Kierkegaard comfort zone. Who're some philosophers who advocate personal strength and determination over complacency and society?

Regular literature is fine too, just don't give me any of that Robert Greene garbage

Attached: 1451031408933.jpg (468x714, 111K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5STghrjpiDA&t=178s
youtube.com/watch?v=pOowwi8xYUA
youtube.com/watch?v=UvV8vLON-nY
youtube.com/watch?v=2CdSGMqcBYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ObrL1Pb5o00
youtube.com/watch?v=MaN3pwBsRf8&feature=youtu.be
i.imgur.com/e7HSU1G.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

sorry bro, not literature but knowledge nonetheless. this guy helps me a lot to chisel my own mind in the way I envision it. Hope some other user's can actually fulfill OP's request. Sometimes what you're lookin for isn't what you need.

youtube.com/watch?v=5STghrjpiDA&t=178s

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius is absolutely necessary if you haven’t already read it. The Discourses of Epictetus is also good—anything to do with stoicism, really.

Attached: EE1C8AE6-2F44-4214-BA22-DBE0E86836C1.jpg (600x623, 23K)

Anyone read simulacra and simulation? Ive got a kindle coming in tomorrow and i think that'll be my first read. Looking for other metaphysical treatises if anyone has recommendations.

maybe some of the stuff in Iron Pill would be appropriate

Attached: read 3.jpg (3844x1824, 769K)

Not exactly reading, but audio books I listen to are

Jiddu Krishnamurti: Freedom of the Known
youtube.com/watch?v=pOowwi8xYUA

The Kyballion:
youtube.com/watch?v=UvV8vLON-nY

"Supreme Personality" How to Use Your Secret Inner-Mind-Thought Power, Self-Development Audiobook, by Delmer Eugene Croft: youtube.com/watch?v=2CdSGMqcBYQ

Siddhartha: youtube.com/watch?v=ObrL1Pb5o00

Read what you want, but pic related is good

Attached: 0488480F-0DB4-49BA-8224-AB87A310842D.png (220x334, 63K)

The illusion!! Yes man!!!

>Camus a shit.
German philosophy or GTFO

Mishima sun and steel is literally a 100 page autistic manifesto on why he works out. Pick it up asap

Nietszche. Thus spake Zarathustra

Reading Beowulf and A Movable Feast right now.
Commandos From the Sea (Soviet Naval Spetsnaz in WWII) and Christopher Reeves' autobiography next.
(Previously started Reeves' - terribly written, but I intend to finish)

I've found a high frequency brother, we're all gonna make it.

Genealogy of Morals and Beyond Good and Evil are his superior works, IMO

Stoicism is a good intro to philosophy but it seems to be inherently amoral to me, like Skepticism. I would recommend moving from Stoicism to Epicureanism, and then—since OP has already read Plato—to go straight into Aristotle.

Also the obvious answer is Nietzsche but I'm guessing you've heard that a thousand times over.

>The Bow and the Club by Evola
>The Desert of the Real by Slavoj Zizek

>philosophy
Refuge for brainlets and the chronically uninteresting.

>inherently amoral
Isn't this a tenet of all true philosophical thought?

It’s not philosophy per se, but The Odyssey is one of the most stirring portrayals of masculinity I’ve encountered in literature. The Epic of Gilgamesh is great too.

The Alchemist

Aristotle is next on my list of philosophers to delve into, since I figured Platos dialogues would be a good enough structure for it. You reccomend stoicism and epicureanism before it??

My problem with Nietzsche is that his actual beliefs are hard to distinguish. He wrote so fucking much about so many topics that if you wanted to prove almost anything in philosophy, I feel you could use a random fucking Nietzsche quote.

If you were to reccomend just one of his works, what would it be?

>the epic of Gilgamesh
Shit is cash bros. Worlds first anime

Sounds backwards to me.
Start at the beginning, since later schools of thought are influenced by then.

Hear hear.
youtube.com/watch?v=MaN3pwBsRf8&feature=youtu.be

Attached: Odysseys Square.jpg (1500x1000, 280K)

> no manufacturing consent anywhere on the picture
lame

What the fuck is that picture even supposed to represent? The retard that has made oit hasnt read anything on it clearly. GI below Savitri devi? That's fucking retarded.
Also
>ride the tiger
>no prepatory works
lmao

As a Jow Forumsizen, you should read
>Bhagavad gita (earlier versions are more correct, I suggest the '72 translation)
>Meditations on the peaks - Evola
>Sun and Steel - Mishima
>Sparta and it's law - Velasco
>any of the classics

If you're more right-wing
>Collected writings - Kurt Eggers
>Metaphysics of war - Evola
>Next leap - Ironmarch/Slavros

If you've done more introductory reading,
>Ride the tiger - Evola
>Forest passage - Junger
>Lightening and the sun - Savitri Devi (Especially the chapters around in/above/against time)

If you want to do any western esotericism,
>Liber tres - Agrippa
Anything else is new age bull

Anyone else think this was shit

It is if you learn without implementing, otherwise the philosophies are a guide for learning how to live well.
Of course the Bible trumps all of these for that.

this is some serious brainlet COPE
>hurr durr people who read things I cant uinderstand are uninteresting
The Bible is anti-fit

what should i read to prepare for ride the tiger?

This is easily the most impressively based list I have ever seen in a FitLit thread. Well done, user.

The Bible gives purpose where man lacks it.
Never forget, your body is a temple and made in God's image.

with philosophy and deep introspection man can find as much purpose as he could ever need without theistic reasons. its good you have that for yourself man but its not necessary for everyone to feel fulfilled in life

Iliad is great too because it gives you two pictures of men who are great for vastly different reasons.
You have Achilles, the Acheans' greatest warrior, who receives aid from the Gods, has fame and glory beyond belief. But he's also a whiny bitch boy.
Then you have Hector. Hector never wanted a war but he fought it for 8 years anyway. He has a son and a wife whom he loves more than anything, yet he still goes out and does his duty. He has none of the Mary Suedom of Achilles, yet when they meet in combat Achilles defeats him because he knows a weak spot in Hector's armour.
There's a reason Hector was one of the Nine Worthies man

halfway through pic related, breddy gud if you're into enginerd shit

Attached: exactly.jpg (325x499, 16K)

i.imgur.com/e7HSU1G.jpg

If you truly want you can do a Mysteries of the Grail > Revolt against the Modern world > Ride the tiger beeline, but that wont be easy. In essence only revolt against the modern world is really mandatory for background, but all the others are very good to expound on certain concepts. The problem stems from the fact that RTT a handbook for Traditional man to understand the best ways to keep oneself together in this age of dissolution. If you aren't a man of Tradition, it will do little for you.

Hermetic tradition is the first to be skipped if you want to skip anything. All his books are worth it, but they're seriously difficult sometimes. If you've read Revolt against the modern world and it doesnt do anything for you, better to just drop it and read simpler things.
Thank you, I do try

I was not born with original sin, but with original nobility. I will not bow down to some god who demands that all are equal and who demands that I turn the other cheek. It is in my blood to attempt my own transcendancy, and to defend my honor everywhere.

don't let this thread die this is good stuff. QUALITY Jow Forums

This is now a /PANGANG/ thread
Saga of the Icelanders, especially Egill Skallagrimsson's Saga is a must for Jow Forums. His poem upon the death of his sons is intriguing and moving.
And as biased as they are the Eddas are well worth reading. You'll get the most out of them and learn about the reality of ancient European religion by supplementing your reading with texts on Slavic paganism, the Celts, Roman accounts of the Germanic Tribes (Ibn Fadlan's account of the supposed Rus is cool but dubious), and some Indian mythology as well.
Quite a rabbit hole but the links you find are interesting.

Attached: 1514901649758.jpg (3568x5829, 2.36M)

*/PAGANG/
shit fuck

Any greek literature books?

Bench Press by Sven Lindqvist

Meaning?

Take the breadpill user. Read your Bible.

Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, Aristophanes.
Start with Oedipus.

Specifically Oedipus Rex, then Oedipus at Colonus followed by Antigone

You could read Aeschylus' "Seven Against Thebes" between Colonus & Antigone as that is its proper place chronologically.

Had a look at wiki. I'm looking more of heroic shredded Greeks not really the romantic stuff.

Iliad and Odyssey are probably your best bet.

These are required.
Argonautica and Anabasis might be up your intended alley.

Oresteia by Aeschylus

TY

Is there any modern day philosopher that discusses the virtues of the individual and his struggle against mediocrity? Some great reccomendations in this thread but most of it takes place before the advent of the trebuchet

Nit op but it's like 700 dollars on amazon

Just ordered the bilingual version with illustrations of beowulf, excited as fuck

>amoral
I think the morality is Nature and Nature is the only morality. All other human ideas of morality are mental masturbation until Nature deals with you or your descendants.

I concur

70* lmao sry, next paycheck I'm getting it

Morality is mostly nurture, not nature. Society, your upbringing, your parents, your friends, and your teachings dictate what you think is right and wrong more than natural law. 100 years ago beating your wife was acceptable under certain circumstances. 200 years ago slavery was deemed morally sound. Before that it was considered morally sound for some inbred fuck to be born into unchallenged rule over 99.9% of society. Our morals change as our surrounding does.

The fuck was that. He makes some good points but then ruins it talking about like spiritual energies and like being in every direction in every reality maaaaan.

Attached: 1455508361904.jpg (615x820, 125K)

Purpose can come from many places, the bible is only one source that can be debated like any other source. Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Cynicism, Nihilism, Stoicism, etc are all ways of thinking that convince yourself that you have purpose (or convince yourself to accept that you don't have it).

The difference between philosophy and religion is that while both can be debated, philosophy is logical and doesn't pander to literal leaps of faith. Philosophy tells you to be good because of x reason. Religion tells you to be good because if you don't, some fuck with a beard in the clouds won't let you into his super cool clubhouse.

>inb4 edgy

No just logical

Stoner by John Williams

If you want to get into any branch of philosophy, do yourself a favour and read the secondary literature, especially if you're considering Dialectics. For stoicism, I recommend Irvine's "Guide to the good life".

Other than that, I recently read
>The manchurian candidate
>The old man and the sea
>For whom the bell tolls
>Fahrenheit 451
>The neuromancer trilogy
>Of mice and men
>Steppenwolf
And a lot of non-fiction ("Fluent in three months", "The thirty year war", "A generation of Sociopaths" etc.)

Next up, I'd like to read
>The machine stops
>The lottery
>The dark fields
But I hardly find the time these days.

bump