Thoughts on martial arts? Do you do any or multiple of them? Rate 'em

Thoughts on martial arts? Do you do any or multiple of them? Rate 'em

Attached: 1541545515946.webm (854x478, 654K)

>boxing
>Judo
>Karate

What I do and how I rate them. Karate is underrated cus of so many mcdojos. Been liking judo and and more lately but I gotta find a place to help with my ground game

Bjj and krav maga

bjj
i love no gi but class is when im at work so u can rarely go
gi is fun too

wrestling
10000/10 best thing ive ever done

pretty much every martial is good if they do sparring/full contact, beware of mcdojos and shitty instructors

Bjs and blunts

>Almost get flipped
>Use that as leverage to flip the other guy
That was pretty cool actually

hey Jow Forums I know this isn’t totally Jow Forums related but umm, heh ya see, I’m looking to get into martial arts. now I know there’s a thread about this posted in Jow Forums about oh say every 12 hours, but I’m going to post another one and ask if anybody has “thoughts on martial arts.” I know you guys have thoughts about em, and gee ive read them myself day after day trying to find the perfect style for me that I’ll never actually commit to, but im gonna ask if anyone on Jow Forums has thoughts about em and pretend my thread is the breath of fresh air that this board needs.

Attached: 81E7D8CF-7412-4B40-B39E-5D7EF962F03D.jpg (1600x1200, 390K)

Boxing + sambo. Both god-tier, sambo has a great arsenal of moves, maintains a good balance between ground and stand up games. Boxing does not require an explanation, its simply the best. Both very practical. A big part of why I do them is that I'm genuinely having a great time and fun. I want to try muay thai in the future, but I don't have time for it.

boxing unironically saved my life

sauce?

how do you recognize a mcdojo

Attached: 1537464805115.jpg (337x372, 23K)

>jiujitsu
pretty fun but i rekt my shoulder doing it.
practice with care frens.
avoid all plebs that play rough

How do you box ironically?

oooo look I’m punching
wow head and feet movements are soooo useful
you TOTALLY have me on the ropes

with a goofy smirk and a really quiet "huh" every time you throw a punch like you're making fun of people who think they're hard cos they box

a-user, are you ok

DO I FUCKING SOUND LIKE IM OK!?

n-no need to yell

Attached: 1528572142570.png (1023x470, 405K)

based

Well we've had martial arts generals pop up and then go away, sometimes mods remove them, sometimes they don’t, etc. If there was a dedicated general that’d be nice, but it feels like to do that you’d need to have trips,people dedicated to maintaining it etc. So we get this instead.
Still not as bad as the tinder/R9k/polbait threads so its fine

but where else would this discussion go, /asp/? Isn't that whole board dedicated to ''''''''''''''''wrestling''''''''''''''''

it’s almost like professional wrestling and martial arts belong on the same board or something

>little demonstration/hands on participation from instructor
>no/limited sparring
>little emphasis on physical conditioning
>loose standards for progression
>kids classes

also
>little/no competitive action, either in dojo or outside

Judo is the GOAT

>/asp/
>professional wrestling
lol

>kids classes

there's nothing wrong with starting young, user

Attached: wutwutwutwutwut.gif (500x280, 1.68M)

how old is too old to start

Attached: c30.png (1000x1091, 141K)

thinking of going back to my MMA gym once I start my cut.
DESU im looking forward to it. Lifting can only take you so far.

if you're dead/bedridden due to old age

What if you are dead for reasons unrelated to old age

t. not an ghhost am ask for friend

Attached: 1527274989810.png (970x845, 153K)

Want to start boxing but I'm shitting my pants. I don't give a fuck about my nose but will my teeth be in danger ?

My rating of some popular martial arts:
God Tier
>Wrestling
>Boxing
>Muay Thai
Good Tier
>BJJ
>Sambo
Ok Tier
>Karate
>Tae Kwon Do
Meme Tier
>Aikido
>Krav Maga

Attached: DN1_Hm9VQAA721_.jpg (1200x1200, 183K)

Forgot Judo in Good Tier

I do Thai boxing, Kali, gunfu, and jujitsu.

Kali is best self defense. Take on a group of people with only a fucking pencil.

Attached: IMG_0189.jpg (601x960, 106K)

Boxing is fun as fuck and is a great workout. I've been lifting weights for years, joined the army (done basic, etc), and nothing makes me sweat more than boxing.

lol

Im a boxer and I will be using 12-6 elbows in a street fight. If it goes to the ground im pulling a knife, btfo grapplers

Also, how the fuck do you resist crying?

>H-Hey grappler please don't control my wrists I'm a faggot who only trains striking so just let go I need to grab a knife from my pocket
Y I K E S F R I E N D O

/csg/ and /mag/ always die because they're too wide in scope and retards shit them up. /plg/ works because everyone in it squats, benches and deadlifts. /owg/ would work, there simply aren't enough oly lifters to run it.
If you had a /muaythaigeneral/ and a core of dedicated thai boxers to maintain it, it would work. Or a bjj general. Even an mma general would work so long as that core is there. But martial arts sets the scope tok wide so there's no focus to the discussion and it gets overridden by the same old "should I do taekwondo or hapkido/bjj is gay start boxing/lol faggots get a gun" shitspew.

I want to train in Muay Thai but it's impossible without an actual trainer. I have heavy bags and shit set up at home but it's impossible without an actual trainer. Currently doing boxing to cope.

Attached: 905246853b0ba100141c3787026bf738.gif (245x283, 1.94M)

Boxers. What's the risk to nose/teeth (facial aesthetics/keeping your teeth) and to a lesser extent brain damage?
Is it minimised or negated if you only spar light once a month at most and spend extra time practicing evasion?
t. pussy

why do i need a boxing when i have a gun lol

Seething iCuck.

Do shadow boxing and practice your form front a mirror.

This is Sambo, yeah?

I do Olympic weightlifting and Shorinji Kan jiu jitsu. It's a decent style with lots of emphasis on self defense and situational awareness. Plenty of the martial side but enough arty stuff to make it interesting. Loads of instructors with experience in different martial arts that all bring something different to the table. And they're not idiots, always emphasising that the best option is always to avoid a fight if at all possible. The only complaint is that my club don't do enough ground fighting, but some instructors do bjj/judo so do more of it.

Good. Find a good teacher.

You need a trainer for shadow boxing. Other wise you are a larper, who gets knocked out right away.

Attached: IMG_0271.jpg (640x784, 228K)

No judo, it’s in the filename, although sambo grappling is pretty much judo

Attached: judo choke.webm (854x480, 1.09M)

>I do Olympic weightlifting
ok when will we be seeing you on the platform and what nation do you lift for

Attached: ura nage.gif (400x300, 1.99M)

Just started BJJ
It's really fucking fun anons. My friend whose been going a year got me into it. I tapped him first day but overall he said I'm still only barely better than average

I want to get good anons, I want to dominate

Attached: rightallalong.jpg (1480x832, 98K)

Attached: tai otoshi train.webm (738x416, 2.47M)

is this judo
looks fake

Looked like it came straight out of an anime

stupid fucking gook got what's coming to him

BJJ is the most fun and by far the martial art with the most depth of technique. Wrestling pretty similar I guess, but I do wrestling as part of submission grappling so not really the same.

Striking is okay, but it's not very good for you, and kind of boring. Everyone can punch already, but learning to strike properly just means developing technique, reaction, and strategy. There isn't much else to it, whereas most people literally can't grapple at all, and it takes years and years before you can really understand every position and technique, even at the most basic level.

pro tip
if you ever see the guys wearing plain white and blue gi's, its judo. Flashy gi's are for bjj fags.

Attached: judo.jpg (334x450, 31K)

aint nothing wrong with showing kids some martial arts. everything else is completely right

Attached: uchi mata.gif (360x202, 1.84M)

Attached: seoi nage.gif (360x202, 1.57M)

BJJ is good, but it focuses too much on ground game and not enough on stand ups. In a real fight you don't want it to go to the ground because your opponents friends will kick your shit in. Also boxing is important, most people don't know how to punch.

Attached: osoto gari.gif (360x201, 1.86M)

Completely accurate except the kids classes. The kids classes are memes but nothing wrong with introduction.

Post the vid where the dude gets his ribs broke but is so ultimate MAN that he still KOs his opponent just before collapsing in pain

Sumo Wrestling is the most Jow Forums combat sports. You live in a constant state of bloatmaxx, you push other men as hard as you can with maximum skin contact

Seems more like the opposite with bjj taking a few months to get good enough to apply it, and past a year you're really just there to learn it as a sport to which the depth of technique part applies I guess. Things like judo and wrestling for grappling seem more difficult to get competent at, trying to get a perfect throw off against a resisting opponent.

Your teeth will be ok. Even without a mouth guard, though I recommend wearing one, even while training. You might get drain bramage after years of wreckless sparring and or too many fights. It's no biggie if you're a weekend warrior.

every now and then I like to wrastle with the lads

Attached: george3.jpg (1024x683, 316K)

>picks you up with a double leg and slams your ass on the concrete
>using any throw on concrete
good luck reaching for your weapon when you're already a vegetable

>jap got uchimatad and ipponed
YIKES

>>little emphasis on physical conditioning
>>loose standards for progression
>>kids classes
my gym got 3 strikes already lol

Thanks. I tend to just overthink things. And yeah I just want to learn the basics of it and keep my face pretty, not spar with meatheads or compete.
Like a broken nose seems unlikely too, and even then the pros with mashed up faces got that way from hundreds of fights and hundreds of hours sparring, not from a dozen or so light sparring sessions.

>training multiple arts at the same time
how, what are your training schedules like?

>little emphasis on physical conditioning
fuck off, I'd rather spend time actually training martial arts instead of doing meme pushup variations for 30 minutes. If I didn't lift I could do that shit at home. Martial arts physical conditioning is a joke.

Most MMA gyms train striking and grappling right after each other. Some both day and night.
Other gyms have different times. Could some times train four classes in one day.

I go to a MMA gym week days, often both day and night classes. A Kali / JKD on Saturday mornings. Gun range Sunday's.

In my free time I train at home to maintain, and increase learning / fitness when in class. You can only do this when you have years under your belt. Each art you do, 10mins each day you need to practice it to maintain it.

Attached: IMG_0276.jpg (640x424, 166K)

If I want to get good at BJJ user, how many times a week should I be going?
just started

BJJ is misplaced jujitsu from Japan. Just trained different. It is a last ditch effort to kill someone and or take their weapon. Other uses also.

If you are going to the ground it is for the dude with the AK-47. You take him out and disarm him, now you have the upper hand.

Honestly I would cross train all jujitsu's, do striking and do a weapon art.

Attached: IMG_0182.jpg (640x437, 67K)

7 days a week of class.
Couple of private classes also.

Ease into though. Start out with 3, work your way up. Classes first, then slowly add in strength and conditioning like once or twice a week after months if you can maintain that pace

Attached: IMG_0006.jpg (500x500, 66K)

This. Stupid shit like this is what keeps me away from MA gyms. I want my dollar spent to be for learning fighting technique and practice, not some normie bullshit 'exercise'

Untrained people are untrained and most likely not fit. Easy work.

You should train striking just to know when to defend. Train smart, light you will be fine with both striking a grappling.

Competeing, fighting and hard sparring tear you apart. Even jujitsu, I have torn both of my knees torn, rib broke.

Attached: IMG_0032.jpg (640x847, 193K)

You have automatic power to touch someone and knock them out. Any where, on tap. Enough cardio to run far away fast.

Life is odd. You mite have to fight to reach your gun, get disarmed, framed for murder. Best to have both.

Age 150. Lots of guys in there 40's come by.

Google the instructor, make sure he fights or has good history. Anything boxing (gym, gyms) or judo or wrestling is automatically legit.

Make sure they train alive, with sparring. That is the special sauce that the old Chinese grandmasters kept from people. Now their art is dieing.

Anything in MMA tends to be legit.

Attached: IMG_0609.jpg (640x421, 58K)

Although I agree, have you never done serious drilling? Conditioning and drilling can go hand in hand

Not that guy, but there's nothing wrong with conditioning when it's done with the art/sport itself. It's when they want you to do HIIT, pushups, burpees and stuff instead of the thing I'm actually paying to do we have a problem. BJJ is expensive, why am I paying to do shit I can do in my living room for free? Why do 50 situps when I can do 50 triangle entries? Why do 50 burpees when I can shoot 50 single or double entries?
Luckily my gym isn't like this, but we have assistance coaches that can get lazy with warmups.

This

Heard that Judo is good as an intro before trying MMA, is this valid for anything else in the same sense so I can look into my options?
Also what kind of conditioning traning is generally done, I want to at least somewhat prepare so I don't fucking die

This shit is gay as fuck. I've bitchslapped little girlymen who started martial arts posing on me, and tossed dumbfucks who tried bjj and wrestling on me.

Physical size and raw strength are all that matter irl, as well as the element of surprise and willingness to hurt and be hurt in order to finish a fight decisively.

If you do martial arts for the sake of martial arts good for you, but all that shit goes out the window the moment you encounter a man taller and stronger than you.

Learn how to punch and learn how to put someone in an arm bar and you are set for life. Most importantly learn when you are outmatched and when to run the fuck away.

What's all the hate on Krav Maga about here? I've been doing it for a year now and there's plenty of people, ex boxers, ex karate, etc that now do krav. Have you just had bad experience with it? Shitty classes?

>Boxing
>Muai thai

I love both but I've only been doing them for 6 months and my gym is full of advanced guys who fuck me up during sparring.

Last night we did a round robin where one guy stands in the ring and each person spars him for 30 seconds each. There were 8 people total.

The 8th guy was a semi-professional boxer and I was so exhausted by that point that he utterly devastated me. I took a right hook that floored me.

On the bright side he said I had a good chin to have taken that much abuse.

How long does it take to get good bros?

I've been training boxing 4 days a week for 4 months now and I still suck. I still drop my hands after throwing punches and tend to drop my head and lose my balance.

Its really disheartening.

The only martial art worth trying is Judo. All its fundamentals have real world application - there is very little flare. It leaves the package tight, simple and functional.

just like in my chinese cartoons

If your goal is to get into mma I'd say wrestling is better. The biggest thing in judo is the gripfighting which isn't in mma so wrestling would be better. But you should just try different things, it's all grappling in the end anyway.

Not knowing how to strike is pretty stupid, also judo also has holes in it's game that will be apparent if you'd try another grappling style.

Krav is basically only legit if you are being taught by legit Israeli special forces guys or guys that were trained by them. LOTS of bullshido out there. Also, Krav is a combative style and not really realistic or useful to train for the majority of people because snapping someone's neck or field dressing them with a ka-bar during a bar fight will get you put in prison or worse.

Krav is fun but you should be spending 90% of your time on muay thai/boxing/bjj without question.

How would you describe your gym?
I want to know what to look out for so as to avoid a place like that. Or is it more about the people who train than the overall gym/trainers?

Not that guy, but do you mean the ground game is lacking? For real world application the fight is over after the throw, so newaza isn't really necessary. And what you learn should be enough to control someone on da streetz if it comes to that.

Karate formed a good set of ideas and basic combat for me which later developed into good practices in kickboxing. For grappling, wrestling is a necessity and is an absolute blast when combined with good striking. BJJ is definitely worth dipping your toes into, and actually becomes pretty fun when training with someone who has more experience than you