Is this worth it? The reviews are really good

Is this worth it? The reviews are really good.
I just want to work out at home, I'm a skinny fuck and want to get in better shape but cannot afford a gym membership, figure this is a better longterm investment.
I also don't have a bench so I would have to do floor presses. Still worth it?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 7.39.19 PM.png (1878x1348, 908K)

Other urls found in this thread:

academy.com/shop/pdp/cap-barbell-210-lb-hand-grip-plate-set
academy.com/shop/pdp/cap-barbell-solid-7-ft-bar
roguefitness.com/rogue-28-5-mm-boneyard-bars
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i think it does, and btw you can do a bunch of different exercises with just one bar, and not just floor presses

Huge rip off. Don't waste your money. Just buy a chin-up bar and dip station and do calisthenics until you can afford a gym membership.

Home gyms only work if you're loaded and can afford good equipment.

For $100 you can get a years gym membership wtf???

>Can't afford a gym membership

10 months at planet fitness for $10/mo is more useful than that piece of shit

ye this, op you are idiot

W-What if the mailman is too beta to get up the steps to get to my apt?

Attached: 1515254391287.gif (250x250, 106K)

>spending >$100 a year every year
vs
>spending $100 once and having it for the rest of your life
Didn't realize Jow Forums was home to the fiscally retarded

I ordered a 100lb barbell set like a decade ago on amazon around when I was first getting started. They just dumped it at the apartment lobby. I could barely get the thing off the ground long enough to get it into my car's trunk kek.

>apartment lady asking me if I needed help
>said no and tried to smile while my face was probably beet red

I mean grip width in "barbell mode" will probably be a bitch but yeah other than that it's just weights and a bar/pair of dumbbells, can't go wrong with that.

there's no way you're too poor for a gym membership. any decent gym is like 25 dollars a month. doesn't matter anyway because lifting at home with just a bar and weights beats the shit out of any gym in the world.

this particular set is pretty expensive though.

just get a short bar (if space is the issue) and the cheapest weights you can find. do it now.

regarding floor presses I have no experience with it but you could use pretty much anything to elevate your torso and something to elevate the weight to the right height, and do dead-bench that way (albeith with no leg drive). or you could just focus on overhead pressing and do dips or high volume pushups. doesn't really matter t b h as long as you're getting stronger on big movements.

Lol

not OP but the only "decent" gym in my area (meaning the only gym with free weights and racks) is 35 euro (abouth 40 dollars?) a month if you subscribe to a year long membership, and 50 euro otherwise.

honestly I've had to join a gym recently after lifting on my own on a shitty 28mm bar and standard plates for a year and a half, and the latter was much, much better by several orders of magnitude

Weird, I built up my squat and dead to 500+, press to 240+, and bench to 350+ w/ nothing more than weights, a bench, a 300 dollar squat / press rack and some horse stall mats.

>there's no way you're too poor for a gym membership. any decent gym is like 25 dollars a month
Clearly you aren't a broke college student living in an expensive ass city paying $900 a month plus utilities for an apartment, working a minimum wage job and walking dogs on the side
I can barely afford to eat more than one meal a day, 25 more bucks a month would break me

Except you’re gonna want better equipment than that modular garbage once you start seeing any gains. Agree with going to a gym and getting a home
pull up bar for days you can’t make it.

For reference I currently own one set of 25 lb dumbells, one set of 20 lb dumbbells, and a pull up bar. I want the bar so I can hit my chest and also do OHP and squats

kek. I remember part of mine (bench, bar and some weights, 35kg in total divided into 3 unwieldy packages) got delivered to some shady computer store 2km from my place, there was no public transportation to this particular part of town, I had to walk there and haul it back to my place, fortunately after 500m on my way back a guy offered me a ride, he told me he lifted and he knew how struggling with weight felt. He couldn't get me all the way to my place though, and I still had to walk another 250 meters or so, everyone on the street was looking and smiling at me, and a qt from my building held the door open.

Once I got back to my place I was sweaty and sore as fuck. But I felt like I had to deliver, in a way I owed it to that guy who helped me retrieve my shit and those people on the street who smiled at me (but in a friendly, supportive way), and that one qt who held the building door open for me.

the day after, after resting eating and drinking a fuckton, I read the instructions, assembled the bench and proceeded to do the ugliest 3x5+ bench (I had already picked out GSLP) with lmao 63kg (I remember I got 7 on the last set. I even remember I came here and some guy told me this was good for a first time)

to think now I can one arm snatch twice the weight of those packages.

it's a pain in the ass to take the collars off those standard sized bars. and if you decide to get a real olympic sized barbell instead of this cheap skinny piece of shit bar in the future you wont be able to use the plates from this set.

>been lifting for 20 months now using standard equipment
>max deadlift is probably about 6pl8
>bar is starting to bend
>not enough room on sleeves, have to tie additional weight inside the collars with straps
>mfw won't be able to max out on deadlift pretty soon
>mfw stuck with 500+ euro worth of standard plates
f-fuck

PF isn't actually 10$ a month. They jew you with a 40$ annual fee and a 60$ 'startup fee'. All before tax too and you have to give them your bank account number and CC # so they can jew you for a few extra months when you try to cancel.

Buy 100lb plates? It's significant cheaper than a new barbell and weightset.

>65lb barbell

are you a girl ?

Anything that's not a $1-to-1lb ratio is a waste.

Theres a difference between a 800$ investment and 90 bucks for 65lbs bud. Keep in mind that for you to deadlift 500lbs, you need plates, and for a $/lbs its very expensive.

Fucking gym and calisthenics shill, kill yourself

no but I am skinny and have not benched in years, don't really have much of a reference for how much I should be benching as a beginner, would probably have bought the 105 lb set though

buy a proper barbell you fuck

the bar is probably going to break/bend permanently if I go above 265kg, that's the main issue. if standard bars could take as much weight as olympic there'd be no issue.

I've been looking for an olympic bar where you can remove the sleeves but I'm finding very little info on that.

lol no I'm waiting for that one to break and stab me in the nut mid lockout.

>order a shitload of stuff to put together a home gym
>can barely lift it up to get it down to the garage
>tfw you get mogged by the mailman

Attached: bert.jpg (226x173, 13K)

tbf mailmen are usually pretty fit. There are worse professions to get mogged by.

Get a weighted vest too.

Attached: fuck you up the ass.jpg (1280x720, 67K)

if you're worried that much about price it seems like you could get a lot more buying used equipment
craigslist, letgo & other 2nd hand direct sale apps.
If you can find someone selling a pair of powerblocks for cheap & an adjustable bench you're golden

Also, buy a used doorframe mount pull-up bar for 10-15$
I imagine the availability of these sorts of things will probably spike AFTER christmas

bump
Thanks for all the advice guys, will definitely buy a dip station cause they're cheap as fuck. Still unsure about the barbell

>Still unsure about the barbell
You're throwing your money away if you get one of those shitty one inch bars. If you're training properly, you'll need something that's able to support more than 200 lbs not too long after you start.

alright I won't get this one, any advice on what I should be looking for exactly? An olympic bar?

dude just buy off craigslist its like .25-.50 cents a lb. I bought a similar set and sold it for what I paid when I got a gym membership.

>not designing and producing a specially tailored to your needs gym set of equipment
Never gonna make it

Like previous anons said.

Join a gym for a year or two... Then buy equipment. You couldn't spot a bent or damaged bar right now.

You will learn what good equipment is...

If you buy a lot of crap you will outgrow it and only have to join the gym anyway. You will also learn by watching other people, what to do and what not to do. Might even meet people or get some free help or even a fren.

I only really notice new people who do SS or SL, and I rarely see anyone last longer than a few months anyway.

$99...

Straps for £1.50
Belt for £13
Adidas powerlift shoes £35
Knee supports for £12
Chalk, elbow / knee straps, ropes, knee wraps, good shorts, nylon tops, good bottle, shaker, lock, bag, towels, dry bags, 10kg bags of whey, etc...

You do need this stuff after a while and as cheaply/but OK price wise as I've done it, it adds up. Nothing funnier than dyel in a pair of fresh adipowers. Also while I don't need any of it now, some of it I did need at different points when I was approaching overtraining and couldn't recognise injury.

You can say you don't need this stuff (I have wraps but don't use them) but when your patella tendon starts to hurt supports make a huge different, even just keeping knees warm.

I don't think how much other people rack up on cards spending on underarmour, rehband wraps, fitbits, elastic bands and other absolute SHIT, not even mentioning the price of gear and spray tan, haircuts, hair removal.

If you get a gym membership for 2-3 months you can quit and not have all this extra baggage too. I used to have a concept 2 model c and i sold it because it never got used a the model ds in the gym were nicer.

This is one of those few exceptions where renting > owning.

Is this any good?

academy.com/shop/pdp/cap-barbell-210-lb-hand-grip-plate-set

>academy.com/shop/pdp/cap-barbell-210-lb-hand-grip-plate-set

What the fuck is a OPHW.

Check out this...

academy.com/shop/pdp/cap-barbell-solid-7-ft-bar

Max weight 300lb.

Don't buy anything from academy.com with their 30 days warranty. That about how long it you can expect it to last.

Do you understand yet why renting > owning

You might as well just buy a rogue bar now, even without any weight, at least it will maintain some value.

roguefitness.com/rogue-28-5-mm-boneyard-bars

>don't bother buying it yourself to use in the comfort of your own home
>just keep paying to use someone else's shit over and over and having to drive to somewhere to use it while also dealing with annoying motherfuckers that won't leave you alone to lift in piece

Even if you were to buy the shitty stuff now, and then buy better shit down the line, you'd spend less in the long run than you would for a gym membership. And the shit is yours, and you can use it anytime without having to wait.

Your logic is flawed. Stop trying to justify how much you're wasting on a gym membership.

just spend 100$ on a real olympic barbell OP

Why not just get an Olympic bar and some bumper plates second hand? They're cheap enough that there's no excuse, and you'll not need to buy another set ever, just more plates as you get stronger.

Please listen to this guy, newbros

You don't have to be loaded to have a decent home gym. 2-3 grand will get you a very decent home gym. Not much money really. I suspect space would be a bigger problem than cost for most people.

YOu literally can not

Go on craigslist or some shit. Hella people selling their used weights, which are most expensive shit running tens of a dollars a piece.
You can find passable racks cheap on amazon and a standard flat bench isn't expensive. Get a new bar though.
No, not really. My old gym was 5usd a month but that was a small gym at the local community center with only three benches, one rack and four barbells. Also some machines and cardio stuff but I never used them.

I have bought a bar for20 euros, a bench for 10 euros and weights for 1e each, 30 kg all used and in good state

You can buy squat cages with a cable extension attached to the back and a pull up bar attached to the top for like 350 bucks now. That with a bench and a barbell is really all you would ever need especially as a beginner. If you buy everything (including weights) besides that cage used it comes out to less than 600. You can then sell this shit for around the same price you bought it. If you're new and the gyms around you are expensive it makes 0 sense to not have a home gym.

25 bucks a month, jesus, i pay £100 bongs a month, though i go to a really nice heath club, cheapest gym near me is £35 a month

>spending $100 a year every year for a hell of a lot more stuff
vs
>spending $100 once sure having it for the rest of your life but being limited

t. too low iq to make gains with his own bodyweight

Homegym (even if it's just a bar and plates) >>>> gym
you can't even compare the 2 t b h

Not that one
Get something with 2 inch plates

When you graduate from the bar that only holds like 300 pounds you will still be able to use the weights

>But but but I have it worse
The post

>lifting in the comfiness of your home
vs
>having to deal with people

>OHP everyday
>lift unexpected PRs in the middle of the night when you can't sleep
I miss my homegym days. It wasn't even a homegym, just a bar and weights, but nowadays I live on 3rd floor in an old as fuck building, I don't think I could even OHP. Maybe I'll do one arm presses or something.

>I want to find a more economically feasible way to work out without spending $25 a month for a gym membership
>You can afford to spend $25 more a month!
>No I can't, and here's why
>Oh quit complaining
Genuine moron

>gym costs 170/yr
>company sponsors health promoting program which covers up to 500/yr, excluding equipment, books, etc
>request gym statement, forge numbers, claim max
>net balance: +330/yr plus free gym membership
>still dyel
That's justice

OP, for only a few more burgerbucks you could get a 300lb oly set that will benefit you much more in the long run

>fiscally retarded
>cannot afford a gym membership
Jow Forums has gone full retard.

I started lifting earlier this year. I'm now up to 1pl8 after about 6 months. I'm not really rushing to go up, but taking this seriously you should be above the 105 lbs mark in a few months. You can still use it for other things like curling or OHP.

>everyone who is not as well off as me is fiscally irresponsible

>well off
its a gym membership user. not a patek philippe

You might be able to work something out with a 200lb pair but seriously it's much easier to just stop being a retard and going to the gym

t. sheltered trust fund babby

I have this exact thing I bought at my local shop, except dumbbel x2 version
it works for me so far

kek this reminds me of the time I ordered a digital piano and didn't have a car yet
was skinny DYEL faggot as well and the purchase didnt fit in my bro's cabrio
had to haul that shit 4 km up a fucking mountain, good thing bro helped me carry it up the last part