Can someone explain this to me? It's the Ivysaur 4-4-8, which is supposed to be awesome and way better than SS

Can someone explain this to me? It's the Ivysaur 4-4-8, which is supposed to be awesome and way better than SS.

I'm supposed to use the same weight all week? Isn't that a slow progression? I was supposed to go up 5 pounds 3x per week on SS

Attached: ivysaur.png (481x584, 31K)

>which is supposed to be awesome and way better than SS.

Run ss you fucking retard

SS is a meme they told me

Attached: inthenameofkittens7.png (332x498, 269K)

Definitely not "way better than SS," lol. Same minimalist programming.
If you want the best gains possible then do your compound exercises and follow them with isolation work.

I know nothing about programming but I like the volume.

what isolation work should i do on ss?
doing dips right now, desu can't reach the pullup thing on the gym's racks

SS was developed by a former powerlifter with decades of coaching experience

ivysaur's was developed by some guy who has been training for a couple of years

just do go to the gym and lift weights until you're tired retard and you will grow muscle its not rocket science. stop worrying so much about which program to use

Hahahahahaha

is this true?

Read the book.

>better
do you enjoy spending 3 hours in the gym? talk about a burn out program.

just do SS with arm work like it outlines in the book. e.g.

a
3x5 squat
3x5 bench
3x8 pendlay row (wrists supinated)
2x8 barbell curls

3x5 squat
6x4 OHP
1x5 DL
4xAMRAP Chin ups
2x8 LTEs

Attached: 1519930472858.gif (389x326, 938K)

Why 6x4 ohp?
I read the book and don’t remember that

I've been using this for the past 13 weeks. It's great fun and gives gains. Takes a while though, I suggest 3 minutes max for rest and 8 rep deadlifts are taxing.

How would you use the the same weight all week?

bench
4 Monday
8 Tuesday so that's at a lower weight
3/4 amrap Friday, are you gong to try increasing to a weight that you haven't lifted for amrap?

Besides, increase weight whenever you feel, it's a program, not the law, if you do things slightly different your gains won't get up and leave

>former powerlifter
Rip has like a career-best 500lb deadlift and that was well over 200lbs bwt

Congrats on the 2x deadlift Rip

Attached: 1544144018816.png (583x805, 492K)

to actually answer your question OP that's a REALLY aggressive progression scheme. Who the fuck puts a hundred points on their bench in ten weeks, except the rankest beginner?

Do a squatting movement, a hip hinging movement, a vertical push and pull, and a horizontal push and pull, at least once a week each (preferably twice). Now add in any accessories you want. Experiment with different set and rep ranges and different progression modes. When in doubt, add five pounds every session until you fail, and then change the progression to a new rep scheme, new lift, &c. Congratulations you're done, and you didn't even pay Jim Wendler for a spreadsheet

>8 reps

Attached: 1470867894702.gif (330x166, 2.11M)

he is a former powerlifter, just not a great one

>611 squat (622 got 2 red lights, one of them politics), bench 396 in a t-shirt, deadlift 633. All at 220.

he was also on steroids, and i'm pretty sure that squat was eq

Attached: ripptoe roids.png (644x436, 17K)

The bench is respectable I guess, thanks for setting me straight

Attached: images.jpg (274x184, 7K)

I'm probably not the person to ask, since I think SS is garbage, and will only work on a select few people. Rippetoe is overly dogmatic with his advice and it has gotten many people injured.

But my advice would be to forget about traditional back squats or deadlifts - stick to front squats, barbell lunges and trap bar deadlifts instead. They're easier to learn, safer on the spine, and provide the same gains in the long run.
Unless, of course, you want to be a powerlifter, in which case you would have to master the "big 3".

As far as other exercises, I recommend the following:
Any variation of cable or band rows, can be rotated, as well as pullup variations
Any bicep curl variation + overhead tricep extensions
Any shrug variation
Glute/ham raise, reverse hypers or back hyperextensions
Hanging ab raise or cable crunch
Facepulls
Miscellaneous, in decreasing importance: Forearm, hamstring, calf work

Rippetoe makes a major error by discouraging isolation in favor of compound movements.
Compound lifts are very useful, yes, but they will not "finish" your muscles. Isolation is necessary afterwards to ensure you have created enough muscle damage to make real gains.

Pretty much this.

Also, you don't have to do every single exercise on one day if you don't want to, it can be done like PPL as well.

people give out on ohp the fastest. 6x4, just makes it easier to progress while still increasing volume

>Incredible numbers for the weight which you can only achieve after a lifetime of training and roiding, probably competitive at the national level
>It's okay I guess, pretty bad powerlifter imo
This fucking board

a 611lb squat and a 633 deadlift at 220 while using steroids is absolutely not competitive at the national level, it's not even competitive at the regional level

there are natties in /plg/ squatting more and deadlifting way more

Wrong, go look up some numbers for some random US meet for the 105kg category and then come back.
And look at all of them, not just at the guy who won

no