What's the difference between lat pull downs and pull-ups...

What's the difference between lat pull downs and pull-ups. I feel like if I can barely handle my own bodyweight for 4 reps then I shouldn't use the machine.

Attached: Pullup-2.jpg (644x408, 35K)

pull ups > lat pull downs
the only way to git gud at pull ups, is to do pull ups.

if you currently suck mega dick at pull-ups chin-ups and can only do 3-4, you are going to have a very hard time accumulating volume with just pull-ups and chin-ups

so you either do a shitload of negatives, buy a pullup bar for your house and grease the groove with 1-2 rep sets throughout the day, or you do whatever you can do and then do lat pulldowns for more volume, that last option is probably the most practical for most people

also if you really care about pullups in particular the #1 thing you should do is just get lighter, lose any excess fat, it's much easier just to weigh less than to make up for 30lbs of bodyfat or w/e with your lats

I do both weighted pullups and lat pulldowns because the angle's a bit different. No idea if it matters

They both work the back and arms, but the pullup works additional muscles.

So to get the most bang for your buck and time effiencey, you would go with pull-ups, and then move onto weighted-pullups as you get better.

Lat pulldowns shouldn't be part of your routine unless you're going for a specific bodybuilder look that requires a lot of training volume. If you just want to be strong and athletic, just stick to pull-ups and dont waste time or energy on the lesser lifts

With lat pulldown you get a motion that's intermediate between a pullup and a row. Does that matter?

Pullups are best because it uses a buch of muscles at once. But at the end of the day you can only do so many pullups.

I would say Lat Pulldows are best for consistency, but pull ups are best overall.

Pull ups work so many muscles it isn't even funny. Your biceps, lats, even some ab activation is there.

No.

Pullups move your body through space and the lift involves other muscles that are not activated with a Pulldown.

Barbell Rows also activate the posterior chain, spinal erectors, glutes, hamstrings, and also require core stabilization, none of this is provided by a pulldown

>I feel like if I can barely handle my own bodyweight for 4 reps then I shouldn't use the machine.

yeah fuck working up to an exercise you cant do

Attached: thonk.png (1200x992, 144K)

Haha this. Didn't understand OP's logic either. We all gotta start somewhere. If that means lowering the weight, etc, then do it. As Jow Forums says. No Ego-Lifting.

I was going to meme and suggest doing negative weight pullups, but that's actually a valid option.

Im able to do 25+ pullups but if I really wanna target my lats I just do lat pulldowns
Easier to control and you can feel your muscles

25+?

Attached: 1525015764339.jpg (267x274, 32K)

He's likely quite lean, and probably shorter than average. Of course, 25 unassisted pullups is impressive under any condition.

Lat pulldowns work great for overload on the muscles that pull-ups use. If you're looking to boost your pull-up game or simply get extra volume, lat pulldowns are a great secondary exercise. Stand-alone they are shit and the only time they should be used alone is to train the required strength to do a pull-up.

>Stand-alone they are shit and the only time they should be used alone is to train the required strength to do a pull-up.
i don't buy this one bit

i don't even do lat pulldowns but i know plenty of guys who do nothing but lat pulldowns for their vertical pulls and have great upper back development

You state they have "great upper back development", yet I see no sources cited here in your post.

Pull-ups are superior in developing the upper back, hands down. You can find this information at almost any fitness, bodybuilding websites. Will Lat pull-downs give you the stimulus you require to grow an upper back? Sure. But unless you have a reason you cannot do pull-ups, do pull-ups and use lat pulldowns as a secondary exercise.

So stand-alone, they are shit. Because there's a superior exercise.

>You can find this information at almost any fitness, bodybuilding websites.

oh for sure my man 100% if you read it on a website it's correct

Not being able to do pull ups is exactly the right reason to use the machine.

>way better at neutral grip chinups than pull ups
Do they both work your lats the same way?
I can only do 8 pull ups at best

Attached: 1544091199085.jpg (543x589, 54K)

Im 5'7 185lbs
I get 25 pullups in one set but theres no way im getting to 25 again withing 3-5 minutes of rest

Chin ups involve the biceps more, which honestly will allow more repetitions to be done than pull ups. A lot of people believe chin ups for this reason allow for better stim of the lats.

Pull-ups involve more shoulder.

I get the same kind of bicep pump doing Pullups as I do Chinups.

Most normies do quarter reps and call it a pull up, it's what he's doing.

No its not you weak fuck

I dont notice any activation in my lats when I do pull downs

Probably the angle and how you're pulling. Think of pulling with the elbows.

pull ups on strength day, pull downs on volume day.

isn't that impressive user

Post body? Just wondering how lean you are. I'm same stats but a fatass. I can only manage 4 pullups. I can only do 3 sets of them.

Attached: 1539296016969.jpg (719x748, 84K)

Pullups are better, but I love doing easy dropsets with lat pulldown, you can squeeze out everything you got.

I can do like 3 sets of 8-6 pullups, will I gain anything from doing a few sets of 10x lat pulldowns at like 65% bodyweight right afterwards? I don't mind spending a bit of extra time in the gym.

i cant do a single pullup unassisted, dont know if it matters but the bar is really high and i have to stand on my tippie toes to reach it. still cant do one. im a fatty at 185 lbs at 5'8.5" and noob to working out, but i used to skateboard but never worked out my arms. wat do? when i go to the gym theres an assisted pullups thing and i can do them at ~half bodyweight i can do about 10 but thats coming really close to failure.

I'd say keep doing them until you can do them. that whats worked for me.

Rowing movements and things like lat pull down should help. Incline bench press should also help.