Cardio General

How do you know if you have good cardio or not, Jow Forums?

Attached: dean_karnazes.jpg (300x491, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2018/12/05/well/move/nike-vaporfly-4-shoe-may-make-some-run-faster.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if you like wiener

Should i cardio before every workout?
For how long?

Honestly, probably a 15 min 5k or 4:30 mile with training.
Your long run is 12 or more miles, and not a big deal to you.

Not before unless it's a 10minute jog.

Cardio should be done on seperate days or if it's not a priority after every workout.

Never do hardcore cardio before a workout for obvious reasons.

no, you do cardio on the off days obviously.

The only cardio to do before a workout is box-jumps and a few fast bodyweight exercises like pushups, crunches, chin-ups, etc.

If it's HITT, I guess sweat or being out of breathe is a good indication.

But basically, the longer you do it for, the better it is. Even a 5 mile walk is pretty great cardio. (Hell, even 2 miles is like a little udner 200 calories)

If you’re at a healthy weight and your resting heart rate is 40 - 50

40-50 is insanely low. I think that can only be achieved with very lucky genetics.

>15 min 5k

So, only .1% of the world's population has good cardio?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 6.22.38 PM.png (208x221, 61K)

sub 7 minute 2k rowing

There was a post your rhr thread a while back and half the anons were sub 60 with a handful at 40’s

iirc joel jamieson likes to see a ~9:00 1.5 mile and 1 minute recovery from intense sparring to HR 130, which seems about right

~7:00 2k row is also a good standard, slightly less demanding than the run if you're a big strong guy and/or a lanklet, slightly more if you're a manlet and/or not that strong

letsrun pls go

high 40s/low 50s is fairly reasonable on the other hand, though not terribly meaningful in isolation.

If you can Row a sub 6:30 2k then I would say your cardio is good

Other way around, if you train cardio and you're over 50 you have the fat genetics.

Attached: Screenshot_20181206-212854.png (1440x2880, 184K)

if you can row a sub 6:00 2k I would say your cardio is good

mirin

>relying on the garmin app/watch to determine your RHR

kek

I was thinking about getting one. Are they shit?

shit if I could run a 7 minute mile i'd be happy.

they are good but not for determining your heart rate.

you need to get an external HR monitor for that. the kind that you strap to your chest.

can you do a 5k non stop? average cardio

10k? slightly above average

times don't matter as long as your not walking it

A 4:30 mile is very impressive you are not competing in track. This is too high a standard. 12 miles is too long, Id say 6 is fine.

jesus fuck my resting heart rate is like 80-90
am I gonna die?

I can run pretty good

I have got mine down to 80 but it was over 100 like last year. And I was pretty low bf%, running a lot, generally fit. I should talk to a cardiologist right?

yes, you should

Is this a good exercise heart rate? This is with a chest strap.

Attached: Capture+_2018-12-03-09-25-36.png (1440x2879, 244K)

>literally redlining for 15 mins
user you’re at your max heart rate, you need to workout more.

I have a BMI firmly in the over weight category
>181cm
>90kg
only cardio i do is mountain biking however do have good endurance, my resting is like 51-53 bpm...

Just tested it...

Attached: Screenshot_20181207-210020_Samsung Health.jpg (1080x2220, 183K)

I hope HR strap was glitching.

cop or not lads????????????????

Attached: Vaporfly 4%.png (1280x1600, 717K)

Ss gomad victim

fuck

If you are a 16 year old girl, then yes.

Attached: 20181206_231335.jpg (624x562, 184K)

>can you do a 5k non stop? average cardio
In the US this is considered great cardio. hehe

jesus fuck my resting heart rate is 100.
Am I gonna die?

>it's another slow long run (for me)
I guess after some more I'll do intervals for speed

nytimes.com/2018/12/05/well/move/nike-vaporfly-4-shoe-may-make-some-run-faster.html
They literally make you faster

it says my resting HR is 102 but when I take my pulse with a stop watch it's more like 60. Are these phone apps accurate?

That's concerning desu. Did you fall for the sprints is all my cardio meme ?

the app said 102 and now it suddenly says 48. wtf gives???

you will need to do the test a couple of times to get a base line

If you can row a sub 5:40 2k I would say your cardio is good

Whats the point of being great at cardio when you look like OP's pic. I've started running and its great but seening how the more proficient runners look is turning me off.

>implying you'll look lile those ultra giga trailers 100k warmup weirdos
They still look ripped from a normie pov.

I doubt that, I got 52 after staying awake for 30h and drinking ungodly amounts of coffee.
Lowest I can reach is 36 while meditating and my cardio isn't as good as I want it to be.

There must be something wrong with your cheststrap, over 200 bpm is not just crazy high, most people can't reach that when sprinting.
Also the heartrate figure is way to consistent, my workouts for example look more like that:

Attached: 2018-12-07_10.24.58.jpg (717x587, 85K)

is rowing on these rowing machines a good cardio too? theyre in cardio section and i warmup on them. how much do i row to be cardio approved?

They are not ideal, you can't row for hours at 160-170 bpm plus it gets boring verry fast.
Cycling, running and swimming are better.

If you cant be 20 minutes in +80 celsius sauna throwing water once every minute you have bad cardio. T. Finn sauna pro

>15 min 5k

nigga what

5k feet right?

5k kilometers

>5k kilometers
>5000 kilometers
>15 minutes
>20000 km/h
>ISS orbits at 27500 km/h
I also like to run near orbital velocity for cardio...

Do you even know what cardio is?

that's only 1/8th circumference of the earth though, nevertheless a good warm up before training

I didn't know the Flash was shitposting on Jow Forums but now his secret is out

The rowing machine is literally the best fitness machine

I fucking hate how none of you really know anything about fitness

Honey you confused good with excellent.

Attached: chuck_1.jpg (1563x2500, 778K)

15min 5k ahahahah yeah righto.

Aus Army standard at the end of basic is a 12min 2.4k, I run it in 10min. I consider myself having "good" cardio.

I cycle 100km around once a month, a regular ride which I do multiple times a week is 40-60km.

Best way to measure your "cardio" ability is to test your VO2max via the beep test. Work your way up to being able to run a 10.1. Thats a good standard.

My resting heart rate is 56 according to my fitbit. It goes lower when i wear it to bed, it was showing 53 a while ago, but i never do that anymore because its fucking irritating.

>12min 2.4k
meh 5min/km
that's decent but not good

Attached: 51+b7zAst4L.jpg (313x500, 44K)

> 10 minute PFA
> 'good' cardio

Shave another minute or so off that lad, then we'll talk. Our recruits on entry have to run 2.4k in under 12:45 and on exit under 10:30.

My RHR is 73 right now but I drank 600 mg of caffeine over the past 6 hours

4:17min per km
Id say we hit the sweet spot between decent and excellent

Attached: 51yChMJMWbL._AC_US218_.jpg (218x218, 10K)

More like:

Over 14 mins: abysmal/REMF
14-12 mins: poor
12-10 mins: average
10-9 mins: superior
9-8 mins: great
Under 8 mins: excellent

Bear in mind that for British infantry the run time is 10:30, and ideally you want at least a minutes leeway in case you're hungover/injured/fatigued so 9:30 should be the bare minimum. If you're a Lcpl or Cpl you should be ideally sub 9 minutes.

>Ideally you want at least a minutes leeway in case you're hungover/injured/fatigued
What are you talking about this is a fitness test and should not be conducted while hungover/injured/fatigued
are you randomly testing injured and drunk peoples fitness?

Attached: 51IRpJ2YYQL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (333x499, 33K)

I'm talking about the British Army PFA, don't know what you're talking about. And sometimes you get dicked with random PFA's or you and the lads have a few too many the night before, or you hit the gym too hard a few days ago. Hence if you can run one in under 9:30 normally, you have that leeway of a minute. If you need to come in under 10:30, and normally run a 10:15, if anything goes wrong you're fucked.

Welcome to the life of armed forces.

>And sometimes you get dicked with random PFA's
Can you explain how this is not retarded?
A random PFA would tell you less about someone's fitness than one with a weeks notice are they fucking with you? Is this to help you get used to stress? WTF

It doesn't even make sense if its because you might be fatigued in combat if that was the issue why not just raise the normal test?

Schedules change and move, stuff gets dictated from higher, COs can get sad ons. Such is life. Bear in mind that the average infantry soldier is between 18-22 years old who barely passed his GCSEs, and you've got a bunch of them together in a group that incentivises acts of drunken stupidity. Shit happens. There'll be times where you're about to go on weekend leave and get told instead you're doing a 1 week exercise in some shithole in Wales. The army very rarely makes absolute sense.

Thanks for the answer
I guess random tests are a good incentive not to be constantly fucked up

Attached: 51glRkGbv+L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (333x499, 42K)

Normally you'll know in advance but as I said schedule changes are a common occurrence, and seeing as you do a fair amount of platoon or company PT a week anyway its not hard to maintain and increase fitness.

Also spot PFAs might be a dick move but it tells me how fit my lads are in general, if they know ahead of time they might smash phys for a week and then go back to eating pizza and being a slob after its done.

>15min 5k
jesus christ

25 minutes for 5 kilometer is totally fine. 15 minutes is crazy

>15 min 5k
Most people can't do 30 min 5k

I remember being able to do steady state on that bitch for an hour.

Now they replaced the concept rowers with some other fucking brand, it doesn't even have a chain just a fucking rope, and the drag factor is a bitch to modify. Also it doesn't have the fan which blows cool air to your face.

They have concepts in the other college gym but the drag factor on those only go up to 110 when you set the thing on the side at 10 because they haven't replaced the chains in years. I was in the crew club at my college just so I could access the Ergs but I cant this semester and the next one cause my classes are high level now

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>you can't row for hours at 160-170 bpm
a) lol wot, of course you can
b) in no sense is this a litmus test of whether something is good cardio, 160-170 HR is more like the junk mileage middle ground zone 3 shit, too hard for an easy day and too easy for a hard day

>he doesn't go out and get shitfaced before the PFT
what kind of FAGGOT POG

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE back atcha brother
depending on where you are, you might be able to find an older used C2 for like $700 on Craigslist, not a bad deal imo

Any good supplements or performing enhancers for cardio and reducing fatigue? Also for good recovery as well?
I was thinking BCAA's but i dont know anything if im being honest

160-170 bpm is going easy for me, 170-180 is threshold, 180-200 is VO2max and above 200 is an all out sprint.

>performance enhancers for cardio
Caffeine, pot belge, EPO and bloodbags
Although I don't recomend the last three unless you are serious about it.
>recovery
Not as much of an issue as you think, just make sure you get enough protein.

AGREE BUT DISAGREE, 12 MILES IS A GOOD STANDARD FOR LONG DISTANCE GIVEN SUB 8-MIN MILE. 4:30 IS A RIDICULOUS MILE TIME. MAN SAID GOOD, NOT TOP 1%.

IF CHEST STRAP PROVEN NOT BROKE, CHECK TO SEE IF YOU HAVE WPW. I GOT CAUGHT EARLY AND HAD IT ABLATED BUT STILL SEE REDLINE (ESPECIALLY WHEN GETTING BACK INTO CARDIO)

>pot belge
nice

how have you verified this?

my experience has been that what I thought was an easy steady state pace was still quite a bit harder than aggregate recommendations for aerobic work (220-age * 0.7, 180-age, etc.), though I've never had blood lactate testing or a lab VO2 max test or anything like that so idk.

I don't think so. This was a for a running test and if I didn't run 2 miles without stopping I was gonna fail the class. I was running on a track at a very even pace too. I just haven't run that far since middle school and pushed myself until I wanted to die. I took adderall and caffeine before so that helped

>5'4
>regularly around 128lbs
>now around 35-40lbs overweight
>want to be sub 117lbs possibly less
>slightly average muscle
>want to lose as much fat/muscle weight
pic related
if I cardio, eat right and avoid heavy lifting is it possible to become this physique relative to my height?

Attached: physique.jpg (1080x1350, 89K)

Helped you kill your heart a little, sure.

Yes, unless you are an top percentile elite athlete, your cardio is bad.

>12min 2.4k
That's not very impressive.
Police force here grades you with an A for doing 2.9k in 12min.
I can do 3.7k

I can run for well over an hour at roughly an 8 minute mile

Gets the heart pumping uguu~