How much sleep do people actually need?

Attached: sleep.jpg (750x445, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

b-ok.cc/book/2824879/3e2243
youtube.com/watch?v=pwaWilO_Pig
twitter.com/AnonBabble

One.

8hours

if i remember from my intro psych course its something like 6 hours of rem sleep which isnt the type of sleep you get the entire time you're asleep so you should aim for 8 hours

7-9 hours

sleeping less on average over time causes health problems

new studies are suggesting over sleeping also correlates to health problems

7-9 a night homie

Really just depends from person to person though the general consensus is about 8 hours. Some people can function on as little as an hour a day others need 10 to function. Hope this helps.

What sort of health problems?

I can second the health problems bit. First three years of uni i got such little sleep something like 4 hours a night, during exams id be lucky to get 4 hours over 3 days. This shit completely fucking destroyed me, I had some mental issues beforehand but having such little sleep made me completely suicidal, 3 attempts so far. Id end up missing so many classes cause id wake up and just lie in bed for hours thinking about wanting to kill myself.

Going to the gym helped and once i got hooked to lifting, finding out that more sleep = more gains made me get more sleep. Still get depressed sometimes and forcing myself to go to sleep even though i need to study means my grades arent any better but its alot better than that other shit. Never let anything get in the way of your sleep anons, there are very few things in life worth losing sleep over

end of blog post

Attached: alzheimersvs.jpg (900x600, 67K)

what the fuck are you studying?

hard to completely determine from what i've read. overwhelmingly scientists agree getting less than 7 hours of sleep night after night contributes to mental and physical health problems across the board

new studies are suggesting sleeping more than 9 hours a night on average also correlates to mental and physical health problems but they disagree on whether more sleep causes these problems, or getting too much sleep is a symptom of an existing problem (like im depressed or my back pain is killing me therefore id rather sleep 11 hours a day)

None. Sleep is a myth perpetuated by the communist gangster computer-god overlords and their niggerpuppet underlings to trick thin skilled white pedigree males out of their full potential.

My memory of stories from the 90s/00s is excess sleep is usually a symptom of underlying factors, not the cause

nice digits

It varies from person to person.
Statistically the vast majority of people need somewhere between 7-9 hours sleep to function optimally and not increase your risk of early death.

Depends, after a long workout (read 6h+) I tend to sleep about 14 hours, my record was almost exactly 24 hours.
Minimum to sustain one or two weeks is two to three hours.

>my record was almost exactly 24 hours.
That sounds really disorienting

eight

No, it was actualy fine.
Sleeping ~18 hours starting at midnight or later is confusing as fuck.

8-10 hours

>le never sleeping during exams faec
everybody thinks you're tryhard assholes

No matter what i do or try, i wake up twice Night too pee and drink water, even if i try to not do it, fucking always even if i dont drink water in 5 hours before sleep, every i know sleep all night but i cant, what do, im not depressed or anything, fucking perfect diet and exercise a lot, the only times i sucefully sleep alñ night was long time ago when i went parties ad drink but thats long time over

Have you tried taking Glycine? It's been reported to induce REM sleep.

fpbp

I'm a milfag (imb4 cuck shill Israel etc) and I have a lot of experience with sleep deprivation and how it effects people. 6 hours is sustainable indefinitely and you will not struggle or really notice the effects, especially after a week or so. 4 hours a night is sustainable for about three weeks before shit starts getting strange. 2 hours can be sustained for about a five days before people start falling asleep at any time during the day. No one is impervious to the effects of sleep deprivation.

Sleep deprivation will make people do dumb things. Sleep deprivation will make people fall asleep mid conversation or during an incredibly stressful situation. Sleep deprivation will cause waves of tiredness when some moments you are wide awake whole others you are uncontrollably drowsy. You can walk while sleeping.

I am very skeptical of people who claim to be insomniacs and to be awake all night...

Then again this is all anecdotal evidence and kinda degenerated into rambling so feel free to disregard.

This is backed up by that sleep scientist that rogan had on a while ago, he also said 7-9 I believe

what this user said
ideally would be going to bed when sleepy and waking up naturally

I personally find that the 8-9h range is best for me, less and I can handle for some days but it starts affecting me a bit

I've read a book on this topic which actually changed the way i approach sleep. pc related.

Attached: cover.jpg (474x729, 25K)

I can sleep 12-16 hours a night and even then I feel shitty and tired.

I just want to sleep away my life.

Attached: 1527425771864.jpg (482x427, 71K)

Here is a good list of tips on sleep form the end of the book.

Attached: Naamloos.png (1823x1059, 203K)

Check out the entire book if you're interested.
b-ok.cc/book/2824879/3e2243

I wake up by my self at around 6 hours and 30 minutes. This happens so much that i now assume that is my required amount of sleep because if i needed more then i wouldn't wake up automatically after that

It's the same guy who wrote this book actually.

Thanks Matthew

>getting too much sleep is a symptom of an existing problem
It was this one for me. I would sleep 9+ hours a night and feel like shit. After I fixed my diet, started exercising, and cut down on alcohol/cigs/weed/caffeine, I sleep like 7 hours a night and feel refreshed in the morning.

>6 hours is sustainable indefinitely and you will not struggle or really notice the effects
Except it damages your recovery and performance,and on top of that you have a elevated risk of all kinds of illnesses like alzheimer. It will also fuck up your memory.

>Muh chill
It's a pirate site you dummy

However much it needs. If you don't have any work, turn off your alarm and see how much your body elects for naturally. I seem to function better on 9 hours, others get restless after 6.

Just fucking with you user tee hee

6 to 8 hours. Over 8 hours is correlated with increased risk of death and disease. Under 6 is also correlated with poor health. I wish I could get more than 6 hours myself but my brain just won't let me sleep that long.

Possibly. But it also gives you an extra 1-3 hours of productivity a day that you could spend on making money, excercising or forming interpersonal relationships. All things that are associated with good health.

6 hours is healthy enough.

maybe for some
if I run on 6 hours I feel sleepy and with my mind not working 100%

Stop drinking caffeine

Attached: naamloos2.png (1028x372, 366K)

forget length, what about QUALITY? I sleep as long as I can and still feel tired, but my bed feels uncomfortable, so it must be jewing me out of my sleep.

Sleep Loss and Sports Injury

Attached: naamloos3.png (566x518, 57K)

>Aim for 8 hours
>Wake up 5 times during the night

NBA Player Performance
More than Eight Hours Sleep vs. Less than Eight Hours Sleep

Attached: naamloos4.png (579x556, 71K)

Figure 12: Sleep Loss and Car Crashes

Attached: naamloos5.png (727x449, 54K)

Figure 13: Sleep Loss and Obesity (ameriburgers pay attention here)

Attached: naamloos6.png (773x572, 98K)

I aim for 7.5 hours.
Sometimes I wake up after 4 and decide to start my day.

Risk of Death from Sleeping Pills
(Sleeping pills don't actually help you sleep,they tranquilize your brain.

Attached: naamloos7.png (621x514, 61K)

Does this represent drugs given to spiders?

Nice digits

Beware that there is no such thing as "catching up on sleep" Lots of processes in your brain can't simply be caught up on. Your memory processing for example.

Btw,hope i'm not being too autistic here,it's just that this book left an impact on me.

>To impress upon you the effects of caffeine, I footnote esoteric research conducted in the 1980s by NASA. Their scientists exposed spiders to different drugs and then observed the webs that they constructed.X Those drugs included LSD, speed (amphetamine), marijuana, and caffeine. The results, which speak for themselves, can be observed in figure 3. The researchers noted how strikingly incapable the spiders were in constructing anything resembling a normal or logical web that would be of any functional use when given caffeine, even relative to other potent drugs tested.

I'm off doing cardio,hope someone has some use for the shit i posted.

Interesting, thanks.

>have sleep issues
>also have poor coordination, poor concentration, poor memory, social clumsiness
You mean I can improve these by improving my sleep? Hot diggity damn.

Attached: 1543247363345.jpg (1384x1345, 397K)

Fucking interesting user, is this all from that Marr Walker book? Or what's the source

These are some of the first stats that have made me think of this seriously. I do at least 2 allnighters a week.

amazing, if you spend more time in bed you'll have less time to injure yourself!

>being up and about for 18 hours instead of 15 somehow increases your accident risk by 5 times
based sleepyhead

When people say they get X amount of hours are they including the time it takes them to sleep / get up in that? I'm in bed about 8 hours but it takes me about an hour to get to sleep (restless mind) and I usually wake for half an hour mid way through to pee, get a drink and let my cat out.

All from the book.
>at least 2 allnighters a week.
Boy,that is no doubt fucking with your brain. Give the book a try,it's very readable. I posted a link to a epub itt.

Ok,now i'm really off for a run,maybe the thread will be up when i'm back.

None until Brooklyn

So have any of you ever tried taking Ritalin?

Concentration and focus, this topic interests me and I wish I could feel once how it is like to be completely dedicated to a task for more than 30 minutes.

Trump only sleeps 3 hours a day and he has high energy. Your body adapts. Don’t waste your life sleeping user

high autism more like

Thank you for the recommendation

Short term is poor performance, mental or physical, and increase in heart attacks. Heart attacks increase around 10 to 15 percent after daylight savings when people lose just one hour of sleep. Probably not as likely if you're healthy and young but if you're fat or old it's more of a concern. Long term sleep deprivation leads to higher risk of Alzheimer's and cancer. I forget exactly the process but when you're awake you're causing low level brain damage throughout the day, sleep itself kind of acts like y ok ur liver and filters and flushes the chemicals that build up from the low levels damage from being awake.

I take it occasionally but I do actually have add I believe (I haven't check with doctor and stuff yet but my parents believe I have it too. They never wanted the label on me). It does help me with not getting distracted all the time and I won't get annoyed by sounds and whatever. It also helps me speak and listen more closely when having a conversation. However it's not a miracle drug for me I really do have to set my mind to also focus better and such, but then again this is made a lot easier when I take it.

Why the FUCK have we still not hacked sleep? We do all kinds of shit but we cannot figure this one out?

It's insane to think there is no fucking way to speed up whatever the fuck the body does over the course of 8 fucking hours. How can it be impossible to get into?

He actually has shit to do and stuff to get up for. If the highlight of your day is saving the contents of a high test thread before the janny deletes it your probably much more productive sleeping.

>sleep on my stomach
>8 hours
>start sleeping with proper posture
>wake up prematurely at 5-6 hours

Attached: a09.png (680x708, 387K)

>whatever the fuck the body does over the course of 8 hours

you clearly underestimate the complexity of the body's processes that occur when sleeping. However you could argue we already kinda hacked sleep as in (starting to) finding out the most efficient amount of hours to sleep and how to enhance it the quality of sleep.

youtube.com/watch?v=pwaWilO_Pig
BIGGEST REDPILL ON SLEEP I EVER TAKEN

Attached: 1543862885857.jpg (960x769, 104K)

Interesting. I guess it only really feels like a miracle for people that don't have anything like ADD.

Mother said she took it during challenging times when she studied medicine and it was pretty hardcore. Says after she got off she usually took like 2-3 weeks of 16 hours of sleep every day in order to recover from it.

>he thinks he needs to study 18 hours a day to get good grades

some of the best ideas and some of the hardest problems i've solved in my time in acedemia was solved while walking in the woods

Attached: 1543697485.png (369x506, 360K)

> getting too little sleep across the adult life span will significantly raise your risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease. Precisely this relationship has now been reported in numerous epidemiological studies, including those individuals suffering from sleep disorders such as insomnia and sleep apnea.VIII Parenthetically, and unscientifically, I have always found it curious that Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan—two heads of state that were very vocal, if not proud, about sleeping only four to five hours a night—both went on to develop the ruthless disease. The current US president, Donald Trump—also a vociferous proclaimer of sleeping just a few hours each night—may want to take note.

>humans are spiders

i have the exact same thing. I don't think I've ever slept through an entire night, maybe once or twice in my life.

Is that thing in normal food?

Im 40 minutes in. This is amazing. Thanks for sharing user

Isn't it literally just
tl;dr: Sleep enough!

??

biochem lmao

i never said i actually studied all the time. staying in bed for an extra hour or two cause of existential dread and suicidal thoughts makes you waste a bit of time, doubly so when you miss class cause of it. instead of studying id just mindlessly wander the internet or watch sometime, essentially just waste time until i had no time left and had to just cram with no sleep.

but i totally agree with you guys, you dont need to study every waking hour, and a lot of the time youd be better off getting enough sleep before doing all nighters trying to cram

Not true.

That's perfectly normal. Usually i wake up once or twice.

I now have a strong for desire for an early night and a lie in.

>some people can function on as little as an hour a day

lol where the fuck do you will this shit from? Deep from your anus?

me too, thats why u have to set an alarm so taht u get 8h and then stand up

just bought an expensive ass pillow
unfortunately my bed is still shit

>just bought an expensive ass pillow
why?

because my old one is bad and old and if this one gives me even 5% better sleep over the cheapest one that's worth ten cents a night for 2 years

ayyyyyyy

kek

>mfw slept 13 hours today
Am I gonna fucking die boys?

Attached: 1540243517068.jpg (600x568, 39K)

You should not be in school if you almost kill yourself doing it

REM sleep is 15%-25% of sleep for a typical person. Six hours of REM would be very unusual.

After getting a solid sleeping routine i get by with 7 to 7.5 hours. If I have a more flexible schedule, i need a bit more: 8 to 9.

kek underrated

>joe rogan had a terrible sleep schedule during his teens
GO TO BED OR YOU TURN INTO A FUCKING MANLET