I think it's so fucking difficult to know how many calories you should eat. I haven't gotten any advice on this board...

I think it's so fucking difficult to know how many calories you should eat. I haven't gotten any advice on this board. The only thing I've been told is "if you're not gaining enough, eat more" but that is too fucking vague to be helpful. I ended up just experimenting on my own. But I gained too fast. But it's so fucking hard to know still, because for example I ate like 4700 kcal every day for 2 weeks and yet I was gaining weight too slowly, but then overall I've gained too fast. Arrgghh!

Attached: A838993.jpg (620x620, 99K)

>4700 kcal
>slowly gaining weight
wtf are you 500 lbs?

>4700 kcal every day
Dude

No, 77kg

There are hundreds of calculators out there to tell you how much to eat for your goals. Do some research. IIFYM works pretty well.

either your scale is broken or your math is terrible. possibly both

I tried calculators. Was gaining too slow.

There was no math since formulas, just like calculators, made me gain too slowly.

counting calories requires math, which your apparently sucks

Dude it’s a fucking mystery. I fasted down to 155 from 175 in a few weeks and then started a traditional bulk but I went ham and started eating like 3500 and after two months I’ve only gained 5 pounds

>nearly 5k calories
The absolute mad lad

Bmr x activity level

If you r tryna gain eat 16 X (your body weight) in calories and if tryna cut 10 X (your body weight)

No, because I use myfitnesspal

I dont know shit about nutrition, but im 5'7, 65kg and i can eat like a fat piece of shit and never go up 70kg

Did you spend a few weeks at maintenance? You probably didn't actually fast down 20 lbs, you lost like 5 with the rest water weight, then you started pigging out and it all came back.

Fast down back down to 155 but this time maintain that weight for 2-4 weeks before trying to bulk. This maintenance period changes your body's "set point" for weight, which is kinda the weight your body wants to be.

Attached: 1543413785872.png (606x1076, 1.29M)

Either 1) you're measuring food wrong or 2) you're measuring your energy expenditure wrong.

For 1) get a food scale, log everything precisely. For 2) get a fitness tracker (Fitbit, Garmin, etc) and keep it on all day.

what to you is the optimal weight gain time, ask yourself that.
it takes VERY ROUGHLY 3k calories to gain 500g of fat.
Then, take that calorie amount that you felt like you were gaining too slowly, and add the 3k calories, lets say spread it over a week.
You want to gain roughly half a kilo a week? eat 400 calories more (so 5200) per day.
Want to gain a kilo every week? eat 800 more (5600) per day.
Find out what works for you, if you find yourself not being able to eat enough, buy a high calorie protein shake.
This goes both ways, it takes around 3k calories to lose a lb (450g) of fat as well.
As with everything fitness related, this flactuates based on your goals, genetics and the way you digest and break down stuff.
If you're trying to make strength gains and not fat, try keto.

I weigh the food and log it. Don't think there's anything wrong there. I don't measure my energy expenditure. Don't those devices require a band around the chest and you need to keep a moist surface?

Nope it just uses the wrist based optical HR sensor and movement sensors to measure your level of exertion as you go about your day. Once you set it up to auto feed data to a diet tracker like myfitnesspal or cronometer you'll get a nice interface for seeing calories in vs out. I use a Garmin Fenix 3, been using it for about a year now and I love it. Previously I had a Fitbit Charge 2, that got me through most of my weight loss phase (220 to 155 over 2 years ish).

I already know about stuff like this. The thing is I tried to follow such things, but it ended up like it was of no use. I don't even know what was going on, just I couldn't make sense of my weight. I don't know if a 2 week average is too short a time or what. I posted a graph with 2 week averages but nobody but me seemed to understand how to read the graph. I have also posted a straight weight graph with calories in it but I don't know if that's helpful.

you need to experiment more then. find out your exact point of not gaining any weight and do the manlet math i laid out for you.

>calculators don’t work
>can’t figure it out on my own

Also
>gained weight too slowly
>also gained to fast

Honestly, you sound like you have a case of the badmaths.

People who eat exactly the same thing everyday just don’t make it.

Life changes, this changes your hormones, thus changing your TDEE, your needed macros and so on.

Stop being an idiot, don’t let these fuccbois talk you into some rigid diet, and just watch your weight week to week.

Did I gain too much this week?
Time for a leaner week.

Did I not gain or lose weight?
Time for a heavier week.

Play around with your macros until you find your ideal balance.

Mine;
Eat only the protein containing portion of a meal, double it, avoid unnecessary sugar and cheese.

I watch the scale and adjust volume based on goals.

T. 3,4,5

Might be embarrassing when workmates and others see it but might be worth it. Thanks for the tip. How necessary is it to have such a device?

I'm going to let you in to the biggest secret in the industry for making gains. Personal trainers will hate me for this and by the morning I may well be dead on the side of a motorway somewhere.

However, here goes

Go on your treadmill, set it in reverse, and run backwards. Running forward makes you burn calories and lose weight. Running backwards makes you create calories out of nothing and gain mass.

based and reversepilled

Depends on your location and sector I guess. I work in tech and literally 50% of my co-workers have one, because we're all relatively fit/active and they double as smart watches (see your notifications/calls/texts/appts without taking out your phone) so they're trendy.

It depends on what you do really. If your day to day is basically the same schedule and workouts you can play the high and low game and eventually figure out a tdee value that seems reasonable for you. But for me I do too much crap (workouts aren't on a fixed schedule, spontaneous hikes/snowboarding etc) any my tdee varies too much day to day. According to Garmin my bmr is 1700 cal, then through activities I can be at anywhere from 500 to 3000 active calories on top of that. It's just all over the place.

4 SCOOPS, 3X A DAY

Attached: 7295C161-F438-42AF-8CF3-200281A7B6D0.jpg (480x360, 30K)

I don’t count calories at all, but I also don’t vary my meals much, so I know exactly what I’m eating. After a week or two I check my status in the mirror and ask myself if I’m going in the right direction, and at what speed, then I adjust from there and wait another week or two.

The calculators all disagree though...

You wanna know how I know you never read the sticky?

READ.THE. STICKY.

Weight gain and loss is supposed to be slow. You need to be patient.

Listen to your body. Counting calories by yourself is kinda wasted time (Do it if you want, that's just my 2 cents).
Your body does a much better job at counting than you and it doesn't take any conscious effort.
Just maybe step on a scale once in a while to see where your going and adjust, but still...
Everyone should already be an expert about their body and how it reacts to eating, at least after 20yo.