Any engineers here mad they wasted time in college on shit like calc 2/3 and diff...

any engineers here mad they wasted time in college on shit like calc 2/3 and diff. eq when they dont use any of that shit on the job

Attached: its true though.png (1920x1200, 32K)

t. pajeet code monkey, i use calculus everyday working as an actuary

Fixed.

Attached: 1540257219374.png (1920x1200, 53K)

what do you do actually as an engineer then

>tfw Econ major and took calc 2/3 + Diffy Q/Linear algebra even though it isn't required

>he didn't take stochastic processes or dinamyc systems
>no, he threw his time away on calculus 2 and 3
Fellow economist here, literally why?

>All the knowledge of butterflies I've actually used since graduating preschool
>...

>All the Spanish I've actually used since graduating elementary school
>"pollo is chicken right or is that the disease?"

>All the French I've actually used since graduating middle school
>...

>All the Italian I've actually used since graduating high school
>....

>All the ethics I've actually used since graduating college
>"the self-driving car should swerve into pit-bulls even if it doesn't need to"

>All the posts on Jow Forums I've actually used since coming here
>...

>All the video game skills I've actually used since being born
>...

Attached: forgot_algebra.png (222x395, 22K)

CS major here. I use series and asymptotical analysis almost every day. I'm terribly sorry you were accepted only in "happiness engineering."

>doesn't like learning calculus for it's own sake
hello brainlet

You might not be retarded for enjoying math, but you definitely have some form of mental deficiency. Mathematics/Calculus is the furthest possible thing from interesting. It is also a complete waste of time.

Actual brainlet detected

Aerospace engineer here. While I pretty much never do math by hand at work (sometimes we do some quick calculations on the whiteboard during meetings or break), we do need to know calculus and beyond. We need to know how to plug those equations into the computer and leverage them to solve the problems we face. Also, calculus even comes in handy for non-engineers for things like accounting or business. It's a good skill to have.

mechanical engineer, I fix machines on the assembly line. and am also responsible for their operation

imagine equating cooking, something you do every day, with calculus

holy shit XKCD needs to be gassed

This. I use Calc 1 a lot. Even if the actual calculus isn't used for every problem I encounter, it is integral (hue) to the theory of basically every other engineering principal.

Sounds like you're a maintenance technician, not an engineer.

I used multivariable calculus and differential equations to explain the theory behind the unit operations. Now software packages do all the math for you. It's still useful background information to have.

>implying any of that shit was hard
let me know when I use my formal languages and automata class desu, I can't imagine being on the job and wondering "hmm, I wonder if I can create a deterministic finite automata to accept this string?". I would literally have to be designing a programming language or something for that to matter

If you don't use at least DEs in your job then you have failed to obtain a real engineering career. If you use PDE simulations etc. and working with concepts like convergence then you needed that background to understand it anyway.

So you found employment as a tech? Job market is really shitty these days.

When was the last time you poached an egg?

Attached: 1310155229938.jpg (650x440, 99K)

>differentiate arithmetic and calculus
>collectivize all manner of cooking together

I have a mechanical engineering degree, I make 70k per year. And i've been working for 1.5 years now.

lil bit, I use a shitload of trig though, for positioning things in stimulations amd figuring out draft angles

It all boils down to math department professors being too fucking stupid to understand applied math beyond baby calculus and DEs. The math courses should be offered by engineering professors who actually understand the modern requirements for engineering math (the problem of course being their time is too expensive).

Yes, you do need _some_ basic calc. How are you going to develop a model for a controller without a basic calculus background? Yes you can use software to compute your transfer functions etc., but without the basic calc background you won't even know that non-linear models don't have Laplace transforms. You won't even know how to interpret response curves and deadtime.

Without the basic calc. background we wouldn't be able to learn any of the math we actually need to do our jobs. However, I do think that calc 1-3 should be compressed into a single semester course (this is trivial if they put less emphasis on those stupid computational practice exercises; who the fuck cares if you can solve some stupidly simplistic multivariable integrals by hand?) and then give engineers a real analysis and at least one multilinear algebra course (which is something that most of us actually need in our jobs).

You can do that and then add more PDEs in the first DE course (by again removing emphasis on solving the easy class of uncoupled DE systems and then place more emphasis on non-linear coupled systems and how to simulate them. Finally a general course in applied complex analysis and simulation science.

This would be extremely simple to do, and then engineering students wouldn't need to pick up new math in thermo II and modelling/control theory while they're supposed to be focusing on the actual engineering. But again math 90% of math profs. can't even begin to understand the math we need. They only know how to teach computational based calculus and maybe one or two postgrad courses in their own field of research.

>They only know how to teach computational based calculus and maybe one or two postgrad courses in their own field of research.
They know how to teach anything that an engineer would find useful - that is not the issue. Incompetent students are what drives educational institutions to lower the bar and reduce the number and significance of math courses.

Out of curiosity, are you taking a course on pic related?

Attached: 518HBtdxmNL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (349x499, 30K)

Fact. Maintenance technician actually has a job.

Attached: yo.png (426x227, 212K)

why in the fuck would an engineer ever take real analysis

So how often do you use a piano or a drum set in your daily life.

Not him but also in econ, minor in statistics. At my uni calculus 1-2 is required, and calculus 3 is required to get into most of the upper level stat courses.Linear algebra is super helpful for writing code, but yeah he'd be better off taking some more probability/stat courses.

You realize that most people can't, won't or don't cook for themselves right?

Not him, but I am. Shit is so hard but it’s a blast.

Someone has to write the software packages first. This is the attitude I see when I look at CS/engineering majors from bad schools vs good schools

Good schools
>oh I should understand the fundamental reasons and mathematics behind why this works so that I am armed with the maturity to develop my own interesting projects

Bad schoops
>oh this matlab feature implements this library, so I’m just gonna run it through there, hope for the best, and start cranking on solid works. The packages will work out the tough math/transforms

This comes out a lot on interviews.

The foundations of CS are important if you’re looking to solve difficult pure problems. Most industry work is solving difficult logistical and service problems by reducing their parts to well studied pure problems. My internship working with a team on compression and encryption used a lot of abstract algebra and number theory. That being said, my current papers are a lot heavier on analysis and the foundations of CS since I currently work in computable analysis

>This comes out a lot on interviews.
And who gives a single fuck because the kids from those "bad schools" are still getting good jobs. Just lol if you think kids from your second example aren't getting paid 60k starting.

me, honestly, calc is useless

Engineers need leadership, entrepreneurship and even speech courses rather than calc 2/3, it is just mental masturbation for autists that only 1% really use it at the career

The people from good schools make more starting. Of course, this is just a salary perspective.

My point is mostly a litmus test against the type of people you want to be next to if you care about your work and field. "lol this gets me a good salary" people are alright, but they don't make very interesting work friends typically because I don't really see them pour their passion out into much. No, I don't consider consuming anime, movies, and video games an active passion (though their active counterparts would be creating art/animation, amateur film/film study/part time editing, and design/assets/amateur game work). The people who actually put their effort in and actually care are fun people to be around, because they don't pull punches with what they like.

These days, solidworks/cadence/matlab does a lot of it for you, but haven't you guys ever felt the urge to know more? I might be biased since I'm in R&D

not for me, anything beyond calc 1 was too abstract and seemed impracticable, im civil engineer tho

>Being mad because you had to learn math aka the language of the universe
The definition of mediocrity, brainlet.

This is why no one likes cs faggots.
t. cs faggot