Thumbless Bench Press?

I've been advised to do benchpress like pic related because it takes strain of your wrists, shit feels like a death wish. Anyone do it? Is it really better?

Attached: suicide.jpg (620x349, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SuDqNLgVHv8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's called Suicide Grip for a reason, bro. It could slip right out your hands and crush your ribs of decapitate you.

I do it (can hit 275x5) , but only cause a massive dude at my gym told me to years back -- I think its mostly a preference thing and I've seen people lift heavy both ways.

honestly just go with what feels best and for the love of god don't try it with your max for the first time. Go low weight for awhile and get the feeling down.

You find any actual benefit or is it purely preference?

dont be retarded

Diff user. It helps me with explosiveness. I learned how to do it from a former college football lineman.

I don't do max weight with it though I probably could

I don't see how the shit slips through people's hands through. I tilt my wrists back a bit and rest it on my palm and thumb knuckle below the nail.

Attached: Devin_likes_cock.png (1110x576, 1.29M)

Attached: 1549668021658.gif (322x242, 1.39M)

It provides 0 benefit for your wrist, that guys wrist is actually snapped backwards not straight up and down like it should be. Don't be a fucking imbecile, grip the bar or you're literally risking death just to look cool.

Yeah I suicide grip only and can't imagine how the bar could slip without me doing something goofy. Hit a pr of 325 x 3 the other day and the grip actually feels more secure with heavier weight.

Use a bulldog grip. This should be the de facto bench grip but no one seems to have heard of it

youtube.com/watch?v=SuDqNLgVHv8

this guy gets it

You can't imagine the bar slipping because it hasn't slipped yet... it's called slipping because you don't realize it until it's too late you fucking mongoloid. Natural selection at work I guess.

>I've been advised
By whom?

>can't imagine
Really? You can't possibly think of a way the bar could happen to just roll off your palm?

PT

I hookgrip that bench desu senpai

suicide grip is stupid
anyone using suicide grip is stupid

Do it, thumb grips are ableist

My man, you earned a cheat meal

Attached: 20181017_113505.jpg (2576x1932, 1.51M)

it's dangerous hence it's name. I advise against it

lol, why do you use hookgrip on the bench press?

i just looked it up and realized i already do a shitty unintentional version of this because my hands are big and it feels uncomfortable when my fingers wrap all the way around the bard and press into my palm

I mean why no? YOLO LAMO

i tried this and it puts a lot of strain on my elbow for some reason, works fine for ohp though

enjoy carpel tunnel

Attached: 1547693809288.webm (640x640, 2.6M)

That grip is absolute shit, fist must be straight
Don't be a retard (only use it at 2pl8 and below) and you might be okay

this is why i keep the safeties on when i'm benching, i'll get hurt but i won't fucking die

Never forget Jason Genova is a CPT

Is that even a suicide grip? Looks like he has the thumb wraped around the bar. How did this even happen?

How the hell did that happen?

Iv been doing thumbless grip ever since I was a gym babby, and its made its way into the way I grip every lift. I even squat with a thumbless grip. I really like it on push exercises though because I can stack the weight inline with my forearms, and say for shoulder press I find it way easier to push the weight if my wrists aren't bent to all hell because of my thumbed grip.
Some people use it, some don't, meh.

Wait, you OHP with a suicide grip? RIP user

I only apply that grip when doing lying triceps extension to forehead. Of course, it's not very heavy.
Wouldn't use it for benching.

Attached: wa.jpg (400x465, 60K)

Its never had any detrimental affects over the years, if anything it allows me to bring my elbows in more for a more uniform push. You do you user.

>Its never had any detrimental affects over the years
Until the bar falls on your head one day

only use this grip if you want to flirt with death every time u bench

Weighted dips are literally better

hahaha maybe, shit can happen. Stay juicy user.

don't use the suicide grip

a guy at my gym had three plates crush his chest because of it

With a little grip strength it's not really a big deal.
I like it for The PressTM

Same, but I kept doing it. Now I've damaged my ulnar nerve and my left hand is fucked. Still not as fucking stupid as suicide grip tho

Put half your normal weight on it, bench with one hand while livestreaming to instagram

i can't watch this since the first itme. fucking horrific.

NEVER use thumbless for bench

for deadlift its godtier though

It's not a suicide grip in that case. I've never benched 5pl8 but I guess when that weight gets moving the wrong way against your thumb it just plows through it. I mean obviously that guy's chest/triceps/whatever are a lot stronger than mine, but I doubt his thumb is capable of holding 180 extra pounds compared to mine.

thumbless on ohp and squats are fine. do NOT use it for bench

please keep doing it the same so we can wipe out your gene pool

It really boils down to preference. I literally almost every exercise thumbless at this point. OHP, Bench, Pullups, Rows.

Perfectly safe up until the moment that it isn't

its cope for people with weak chests. fix your form and hold it properly

Don't use it. Also consider chalk, those sweaty hands can deceive you

Attached: 1529941611657s.jpg (248x250, 7K)

Distributes more weight to the triceps and allows for more weight to be lifted once you master it, start low and gradually increase the load over time. Nowadays Im more comfortable doing thumbless benching than regular, which i do at the moment for chest gains

My throat caved in just looking at this picture.

And ofcourse, do not go heavy until you KNOW you master it 100%

OP, if you have shitty slippery chrome bars without real knurling which hurt your wrist, just use some good quality wrist wraps with an aggressive wrap. Then you can bench with your hands closer to straight and it gives you better activation.

Been using the grip for years, because my wrists started hurting once I could do 90kg+ for reps. Wrists stopped hurting and I never felt in any danger, the pressure of the weight itself keeps it very stable. It's called suicide grip, because how it looks not because what happens, never saw anyone drop the bar on themselves no matter the grip.

Every year in the US about 10 people die while training in the gym. All of them doing bench press.

Thumbless grip for deadlifts? What the fuck

>gf came home a few months back from lifting with her friends
>said they did bench press amongst other stuff
>explains how her friends taught her the "proper" way to BP
>ask her what that is, exactly (i taught her before)
>proceeds to describe OP's pic
>tell her that that grip is literally called "suicide grip"
>tell her that that's how people DIE from BP
At least she didn't double down and accepted that yeah looking back at it, thumbless grip is fucking stupid. There is absolutely no reason why safety shouldn't come first.

Why's that guy in the back wearing a cowboy hat?

Attached: 1546247806441.jpg (640x454, 27K)

Didn't know that's what it was called. I learned to do that because my wrist joints aren't great. neat

Look into causes for jointpain, imo 90 kg shouldnt really hurt someone who lifts frequently

i does the opposite of taking the strain off the wrists... Bench with your knuckles facing the ceiling.

MORAN