My squat form is tragic. How can I fix it?

My squat form is tragic. How can I fix it?

Attached: 20190201_200642.webm (640x360, 2.7M)

add weight and go lower

Adding weight when the form is already bad will just make things worse.

>leaning forward your torso that far
Eh, different ergonomics I guess...
>while squatting high bar
Oh mercy
Also point your toes a bit more forward and be sure to keep your feet active. Your legs are all over the place when they should be tracking straight over your toes. Have you read SS?

OP here. I was under the impression that that was low bar, and that my legs were actually following my toes. I guess I was wrong.

It's pretty hard to maintain form if the bar is not anchoring you down. You need atleast 1 plate in order to start feeling the weight and adjust properly.

what the fuck are your elbows doing
dont tell me you fell for the low bar meme

Attached: pisarenko.jpg (600x300, 62K)

I don't know/care about "memes". I just want to squat low bar with proper form, which I'm clearly not capable of right now.

The real tragedy is scooting your foot around mid-lift. I don't even know whether to criticize your form pre or post scoot. Set up, take a breath, and execute. No more second guessing yourself after you've already started.

Why is it a "meme"? There's legit nothing wrong with it.

Attached: dom.png (625x918, 587K)

it looks like you need lots of mobility work

>
the tracking didn't look that bad to me

A few tips from an unathletic beginner who improved his form a lot over the last year. Anyone with more experience is free to correct or add:

>1. Chads won't tell you this because they've never had this problem, but squatting requires lots of flexibility. Stretch your hips, legs and back before every workout. It will make a huge difference over time.

>2. Don't go low if you can't go low without spreading your legs really wide. While you're learning, it's better to quarter squat with your feet set correctly and your hips not curving inwards at the bottom.

>3. Put a little more weight on. Not enough to hurt yourself but enough to feel it push you down. It's good that you're careful, but you have to learn to move against actual resistance.

>4. Dont' lock your knees when you come up.

The bar is not in the right placement for trying to do LOW bar OP. You practically have it highbar. It shouldn't be on your traps, think just below or right on your posterior delts. Keep your feet shoulder with or a little outside of it but point the toes out. Also you gotta go lower. Aim for parallel or just a bit below it. Brace your core, its ok to be at an angle but not slouching inward when going down (that's because your core is weak and is not stabilizing your torso). Just from looking at it, I can tell that you shift the force output all over your foot instead of feeling an even distribution starting from the middle. I dunno about anyone else, but I hate lifting with shoes because of that, it gimps my ability to feel the ground and feel how the weight is being distributed so i squat barefoot, but that's me personally, I'm not sure if it's truthfully a good idea but the best form I get on my squats and diddles are barefoot so maybe try that.

You gotta understand that until he has the proper form engraved into him, that's to be expected. He's gonna keep adjusting until it finally feels "right" and he doesn't even know what "right" is supposed to feel like.

Once the weight gets heavy there will be no time for that, that's the point of practicing with lighter weights and making this thread in the first place.

you are squatting as if you were doing low bar but you have that shit on your traps
decide which way you want to do it

>1. Stretch before lifting
No. Stretch AFTER lifting or on off days but never before lifting.
>2. Don't go low do quarter squats
wtf no lol, practicing the proper depth is essential in the beginning as it's the only way for him to properly adjust to the correct feet placement. The hips curving inward is typically a flexibility issue which will correct overtime from just squatting alone, but even more so if he follows step 1.
>3. more weight
This is true in that you will get much more feedback from having more resistance. Lightweight allows you to build bad habits and make mistakes because light weight lets you get away with anything.
>4. don't lock your knees
I don't see why that would be a big deal, rather don't bring your hips in.

You look like you're trying to do lowbar with the bar at highbar lol. Also not deep enough. Also you're doing that weird leg thing that everyone who reads SS does, so good on ya.

>Also point your toes a bit more forward
Different guy here and fairly new to lifting, my friend spotted me a while ago and kept telling me to point my toes forward as well (feet tend to splay outwards when squatting) but when I do it feels uncomfortable as fuck and like there's a load of tension in them (not in a good way). Should I just ignore this and try to keep them straight? Or just keep going as normal

I used to be like this when i had bad mobility, needed at least a plate to get in the right position, i'm still working on it but i can get get into position with just the bar now.

Also you're clearly not performing any sort of brace prior to the lift which is making 115lbs, or whatever that shit is, fold you in half. Watch dr norton's clean up your sqwat video on youtube

looks alright just keep squatting, ditch the shoes or buy flat trainers

Your knees should be tracking your feet. Their angle isn't -that- important as long as it doesnt create excessive forward travel, which is due to bad core control

OP here, thanks for the replies. I must admit I was completely unaware of the bar position issue, even though I've seen videos and pics of it like a thousand times. Will fix it on my next workout. My girlfriend can't squat without falling forward, guess now I know what's wrong with her too.

My main problem is that I lack the flexibility to go low. Stretching before the squat does give me a bit more depth, which is why I'll ignore that advice and keep stretching. But it's still quite hard to do; I can't go low without feeling my hip flexors aching. Bracing is also something I have to work on; most of the time I just forget to do it until it's too late.

I haven't worked out before in my entire life, so I will keep using some weight but not much.

Again, thanks a lot. If anyone else wants to comment, feel free to do so.

>Stretching before the squat does give me a bit more depth
The reason I'm telling you not to is because when shit gets heavy, this will actually backfire. I guess for now because weights are so light go ahead, but don't make it a habit to stretch before lifting.

Bar is too high for low bar

Is it so? I don't stretch for too long, just a little bit. I do stretch for longer times after the workout.

I'll try to elide stretching altogether before working out and just warm up a bit instead, see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Straighten your feet and hinge at the hips as you bend down. Box squat for practice. Put at least a 25 on each side preferably a full plate. You can handle it if you work on form.

you have lowbar stance and arm position even though you're highbar squatting. keep your chest up higher, look forward, and squat deeper

Attached: manlet_rogan.jpg (476x667, 43K)

Like others have said, that bar's too high for a low bar squat. Trying to do a low bar squat with that height will make the barbell want to roll forward and force more weight towards the front of your foot. That's probably the reason why your feet are shifting in that video.

The real question now is whether you want to do high bar squats or low bar squats. Doing a frankenstein squat like that will one day ruin your knees due to how poorly the weight is balanced.

Put the bar lower on you back, think shoulder blades. You are falling farwarded cause the bar is too high for low bar. Look down about 5-10 degrees more. You are having mad butt winking, put a slight arch into your lower back and keep it while you squat. Once you feel you hips tucking under and your cant maintain your lower back, DONT GO ANY LOWER, you cant handle it yet, youll fuck up your back. Your using too much quads, low bar is about using hips, gluts, and hams. This means dont allow you kneens to go so far farward, it uses a bit of hip hinge to low bar. Think of sitting back into it. Amd when coming out of the hole try to snap the bar around you back drive into the bar.

OP, your elbows being pushed out like that are driving your upper body forward on the ascension. When descending, you need to try and keep your elbows pointed down towards the ground as much as possible to maintain an upright position. I'm a highbar squatter though and that's what works for me.

Yea, especially if you stretch beyond the ROM for the lift.
Think of it like a rubberband, stretching it out will make it weaker. So stretching before you lift a weight (especially if you stretch beyond ROM like so many people do) will actually weaken the muscles and increase the risk of injury (like tears). It's not crazy significant but it might be the reason for missing a rep which does matter, especially when things get heavy and if you're doing a linear progression, they will definitely get heavy.
The only thing you should worry about before lifting is joint mobility and warming up. Stretching after also increases hypertrophy so it's encouraged.
Again this mainly applies to WEIGHT LIFTING or other types of RESISTANCE training.

>You are having mad butt winking, put a slight arch into your lower back and keep it while you squat. Once you feel you hips tucking under and your cant maintain your lower back, DONT GO ANY LOWER, you cant handle it yet, youll fuck up your back.
He's not squatting with weights anywhere near heavy enough to actually fuck up his back. He needs to go full depth otherwise he wont get the necessary stretch for that ROM. His buttwink is again a flexibility issue of course.

Also, you gotta really hammer the bracing your core. Hell, work on your core on off days to get ahead on strengthening it. All your lifts will benefit from a strong core, ALL of them.

Yea I don't know where he gets the point your toes forward thing. It's actually encouraged to point them out more if it helps you, just of course not more than necessary. Like another user said, make sure your KNEES are following your toes. If your knees cave in or out that's a problem.
I find pointing my toes forward makes the lift more quadcentric, which in OPs case especially, is not the point.

take a wider grip because your shoulders are obviously ridiculously tight. also work on your shoulder mobility. rest is fine for now, just keep practicing

keep your chest up maybe, it straightens your back naturally and you would stop leaning forward.

*during your first squat your whole left foot moved. Find the your correct position and get into it before doing any reps
*add more weight until you feel it pushing down but if you feel it with current weight then it's fine.
*always brace, don't lock legs with a jerk
*don't stand up with your body folded
*stand up with a hump motion and your whole body will be straighter

>>leaning forward your torso that far
Lad, are you 5' tall?