/fast/ - #381 - YOU'RE DOING A 14 DAYS WHAT?! EDITION

FAQ
/fast/ discord
>discord.gg/dknZqPb
What is /fast/?
>Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

What’s the difference between intermittent fasting, water fasting, dry fasting, etc.?
>Intermittent fasting: Fasting for a certain amount of time with a short eating window. 16:8 (16 hours fasting, 8 hour eating window) is the bare minimum.
>Water fasting: Fasting with only water.
>Dry fasting: Fasting with no water. Dangerous, use with caution.

Why should I fast?
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11147801
>reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/wiki/studies
>idmprogram.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/
>Read all of these, they might answer some other questions you may want to ask.

How do I safely do an extended fast?
>Take snake juice, or just supplement electrolytes.
>Water=2L
>Potassium chloride =1 tsp (No Salt)
>Sodium chloride = 1/2 tsp (Himalayan Pink Salt)
>Sodium Bicarbonate = 1 tsp (Baking Soda)
>Magnesium Sulphate = 1/2 tsp (Food Grade Epsom Salts)
>Mix these in 2L of water and sip it throughout the day.
>[OPTIONAL] 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar and 4 tbsp lemon juice. DO NOT MIX with snake juice, drink separately.
>You can also do this if you feel lightheaded, weak, dizzy, nauseous, etc., on shorter water fasts. Don’t do this while intermittent farting.

Won’t I go into starvation mode?
>No. You won't have the willpower to fast that low.

Will (something with calories) break my fast?
>Yes, you Hmong.

Can I drink coffee, tea, and diet soda? Or anything with artificial sweeteners?
>You can do whatever the fuck you want. We recommend avoiding those, sweeteners especially.

Do I need a multivitamin?
>No

Prolonged fast Q&A: fast.fandom.com/wiki/FAST_FAQ

previous

Attached: DOCTOR.jpg (920x1000, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg&t=2m00s
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

redpill me on fasting and hair loss

>does fasting cause hair loss? lets say a 72 hours fast every week.

Presuming yes

>is the hair loss caused by fasting permanent?

Attached: starting follicle.jpg (1559x1129, 338K)

YOU ARE 'DEADLIFTING'!? grave robbing is a crime you know.

Attached: 10373356-mature-doctor-smiling-in-lab-coat-in-his-room-.jpg (866x1300, 92K)

So what you're telling me is I can eat one 600 calorie meal per day, thereby losing over 1kg per week, and I'll lose less muscle than an extended cut? Or did I read it wrong?

Attached: 1541373830525.png (476x354, 155K)

Reposting because I posted right before the last thread 404'd:

No matter how clean or big or small my refeeds are, I always get bloated as fuck for the next few recovery days and never goes away until I go back to prolonged fasting.

How do I avoid this in the future or make it go away sooner? I hate feeling puffed up and constipated all the time. I lose all this weight and bodyfat and still walk around with a belly because of the bloat.

Attached: 1507249415327.gif (320x240, 466K)

Fasting dosent work mate. Just keep shit simple.

1 eat at caloric deficit
2 eat one meal a day
3 do it till your goal is achieved

Thats all.

And fasting doesnt work because its temporary solution. Without dealing with roots of the problem

reposting in new thread

Day 28
Height: 176cm / 5'9
SW: 103.5kg / 228lbs
CW: 86.9kg / 191.5lbs

>no ACV or Lemon Juice
>diet soda since day 7
>vaping since beginning

last two are bad habits, but having some flavors other than salt water and water has helped a lot and they haven't impeded my weight loss so fuck it

>fasting doesn't work
>eat one meal a day

that's a form of fasting though

fasting does work, but you're right about it not dealing with the root problem of overeating or fixing bad eating habits, if you fast and go back to old habits then you might as well not fast in the first place. fasting is just the first step on a long road, it teaches you willpower and how to deal with food cravings, hunger, sheds a few pounds to help motivate you etc.

Isn’t one meal a day intermittent fasting?

who /water fast one day every week/ here?

Can I still consume creatine during a fast, is it a good idea? I know creatine has 0 calories, but Im afraid it will make me super bloated

For those commenting that the fasting won't solve the underlying problem. Here's an anecdote about my experience. I began when I hit 350 pounds (5'5" manlet) because I got a new job and was unable to physically do it comfortably. I was a NEET for years because of a back injury that left me bed ridden for some years and even made my leg go into atrophy. During those times I got used to eating one large meal a day since there wasn't anyone to take care of me. However I was eating like a fucking pig, enough food for five people and would drink two to four liters of soda a day. So when I heard about some fat fuck going on a year-long fast I looked up more on it and decided to do the 7-day one. So I fasted days drinking only water. The thing that made it hardest for me wasn't the hunger (I didn't have hunger pangs or any discomfort just cravings here and there) but the amount of free time and boredom that I now had. All the time I wasted eating or sitting on my ass watching tv/playing games eating I now had to figure out what to do with. This is where fasting helped me realize how I was eating my depression, pain &c. So instead I began using that time to learn the violin and occupy my time with cooking food rather than buying fast food shit. It's been a year and I've done the 7-day fast about 4 times since and I'm down to 229. I don't work out, and I don't really eat healthy, the only things that have changed is that I've been able to reduce the amount of what I eat (I still eat enough for 3 or two people) and no longer crave soda, burgers, pizza or junk food. I mostly crave Asian, Mexican and Mediterranean food, which I've learned to cook and make myself with all the free time I now have. So I'd have to disagree that fasting doesn't help with the underlying problem. If you want to honestly change and dedicate yourself to it, the fasting will help you a lot because you get to examine your internal motivations and seek ways to rectify those bad habits/behaviours.

Continued . . .
Sorry for the long text wall, but I just wanted to conclude with saying that I'm going to go to physical therapy soon, so I can go to the gym (I've gone in the past but ended up hurting myself) and I'm working on reducing the amount I eat. I still only eat one large meal in the evening after I get home from work, occasionally in the mornings I'll have a banana or grilled cheese with tomato/basil/garlic and some tea. I'll continue to do the 7-day fasts but they get easier every time I do them so I think I'm going to try a month.

I would advise if your lifestyle permits it to go for the 7-day one if you can to begin with. It helps a lot with figuring out why you eat how you eat and how to create discipline.

glad you are no longer a neet user

it does help with the underlying issues. when I get in a cycle of fucking up (skipping work outs, junk food, booze, staying up late) it affects all areas of my life. I find that when I am able to be disciplined in one thing, the rest follows.

I'm fasting because I'm like 200% certain I have a blockage somewhere in my veins and since I can't get the medicine to clot bust it I have to lose weight to live.

Are you eating apples daily?

Fuck it all.

I was on keto for a year and lost 150lbs, now I’m trying to lose the last 30 but I can’t fast because the hunger is painful (Was not this way on keto). I’m trying to get back into ketosis to make fasting at least somewhat possible but I can hardly go 5 waking hours without eating an OMAD sized meal (1500 cals at least)

I just can’t get “fat adapted”, every single day I try to start a fast but every day I end up eating.

Fuck me. Doesn’t help my depression at all.

Attached: 42306570-5896-4C3A-8FBD-DE98CE234F0A.jpg (1027x807, 364K)

Is there a way I can hole myself up (e.g. rehab or something) where I am forced to fast and can't back out of it.

If you don't have the willpower or discipline to complete a fast you might as well try something else, or die as a fat pussy

i'm not eating anything

Just got my snake juice ingredients. Gonna try and do a 72 hour fast. I don't have pink himalayan salt but regular table salt will work fine right?

Attached: IMG_20190209_192123.jpg (4000x3000, 2.54M)

you don't need snake juice for a 72h, try a week

Throw away all your food? Keep all of your money away from you somehow so you can't just go impulse eat?

I've come to the conclusion that I don't have the strength to do an extended fast. New plan is to eat every Saturday and Wednesday. Going to Golden corral in a few hours for the brunch buffet and I'm going to eat a shitload of chicken and eggs for like $12. Haven't decided what I'm going to do for Wednesday's yet.

Will a 32 hour water fast kill my gains??

Can someone redpill me on keto + OMAD? Does keto accelerate weight loss while doing OMAD or is it just a meme and should I just focus on CICO while keeping carbs low and consume foods with a low glycemic index?

Does intermittent fasting make any sense at all when you aren't trying to lose weight?

Name one reason why I shouldn't permabulk and then occasionally water fast for a few days to cut the fat gains

>Without dealing with roots of the problem
While it's not an automatic process, fasting does make you reevaluate your entire relationship with food, makes you realize that hunger really is and how it is different that cravings and pleasure seeking.
A person that eats out of anxiety for example, will be faced with this fact while fasting.
So in a way fasting does help the root cause, by putting it bare and in the forefront of your consciousness. Something that can be easily avoided if you follow the "small caloric deficit every day on a balanced diet" meme

>fasting won't solve the underlying problem
That's already bullshit. Even IF can kill a snacking addiction. Which allows you to do even a mainstream CICO diet with ease.

Reading the rest of your post, it is funny to realize how much your addictions are holding you back just by somewhat alleviating boredom. Reminds me of when I quit caffeine and just HAD to accomplish something to get over the boredom.

I'm guessing you're eating a keto meal before starting? When I eat too many carbs I can't even make it to my next meal with OMAD without eating. If you have zero fasting experience, try a 16:8 routine then build up to OMAD from there.

>takeitglobal
That is some weirdly generic packaging. Would think it's lab grade "not for human consumption" type stuff if it wasn't for the "flavour" and the website explicitly saying it's food grade.

Some, if any, fasting benefits but it's too close to CICO to really matter. Go OMAD or just calorie count. Can be useful if you're new to fasting and want to get rid of a snacking addiction but that's really it.

Does snake juice work even without the baking soda and epsom salt?

Yes. Baking soda and epsom salts are only necessary for refeeds. NaCl/KCl are essential salts for daily function during a fast.

I want to do an apple fast since an apple a day won't kick you out of ketosis and it'll keep death at bay

Also, I haven't experienced taking laxatives before. What would the effect be when adding the epsom in the snake juice? Will I shit frequently?

Make sure you add the proper potassium

That is pure KCl you have there

I can’t

Only if you drink too much, and most likely because of your body is trying to flush an excess of the other salts. It is advertised as a laxative but the concentration recommended on my package for that purpose is 20 times the concentration given for snake juice.

Attached: 1549720131.png (163x99, 6K)

Actually I fudged my math. More like 40x. You're taking it as a magnesium supplement.

Attached: 1549720471.png (194x99, 7K)

Food intake is all psychological and just takes willpower to adjust to it. Doesen't matter what kind of fasting (1 meal a day / 2 meals a day or even 7 meals a day).

Our bodies have internal clocks and it gets used to eating at certain times of the day the more we do it. Lets say the normal person's diet consists of 3 meals a day and he goes to eating one meal a day at 6PM. The first 3 days of fasting would be super hard for them and they would be feeling hungry as their body is used to eating 3 meals, but gradually it would become easier as our mind/body adjusts to eating only once a day at 6PM.

I've done it and it works. Used to be eating 6 meals a day, switched to 2 meals every 12 hours (6AM and 6PM). First days were hard and used to start feeling hungry at about 11AM onwards, but after a week I could go to about 4-5PM and sometimes wouldn't even start thinking about food.

It's exactly the same for those who struggle to eat 6 meals a day when trying to bulk, if they're used to only eating twice a day. They need to keep at it until it becomes a routine in their mind, and after a while your mind will start telling you that you're feeling hungry every 2-3 hours.

Sounds a lot like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg&t=2m00s

I'll watch the video, never seen it.

Learned what I wrote from my own experience though.

New work place had no good places to eat lunch at, and back then i cba to bring my own food to work so I just started skipping lunch and thereby only eating 2 meals a day (breakfast before work, and dinner right after work).

My body/mind adjusted to that eating time frame after doing it for a while, and when I tried to go back to eating 3 meals a day again it was hard and I felt like I was overeating/bloated. Went on an all-inclusive holiday to Cuba where I could eat food 24/7 for free but ended up skipping lunch everyday just because i wasn't feeling hungry and felt bloated afterwards (eating clean food too, nothing unhealthy) so I understand now that it's all about adjusting to your eating timeframes mentally.

I would like to do intermittent fasting soon though. There are a few good videos/podcasts about it and the benefits of it from Joe Rogan with Dr. Rhonda Patricks (search it up)

Attached: OU44ITo.png (477x582, 654K)

The video talks about hormone balance and that hormones related to hunger rose during your normal eating times (I timestamped at 2:00 where he directly talks about this). This makes switching to new eating times hard but they would adapt to it thus making the new eating time the normal, even if it's OMEOD.

Just watched it and agree with it 100%. Had 0 knowledge about that when I first started changing my eating timeframe so I learned all the things mentioned in the video first hand experience.

Good informative video though, going to save me time by showing people that instead of me trying to explain it everytime I mention to people I don't usually eat lunch and they look at me baffled like how am I not hungry all day. Thanks for sharing.

Attached: 1470607069732.jpg (638x720, 44K)

I found it by looking through the archive of /fast/ threads. This was a video posted in the OP of one of the first /fast/ threads. Still need to research the archive to find when /fast/ was taken over by Cole, but interesting history.

I'd like to try intermittent fasting soon, and have actually done it for a few days last week but I need to do more research into it and figure out how to hit all my macros for the day within that that eating period which i struggle when doing it (esp protein intake) I usually aim for 150g-200g protein per day as I started working out 4-6 times a week but its hard to hit on a max 8 hour time frame (esp since best time to do it is 12PM-8PM or something like that and I get back from work at nearly 7PM)

Down 10kilos in 2019

We're going to make it

IF (if you mean 16:8) is really just 2 meals. Not too hard, just do IF and fine-tune the meals over time. It's mostly just willpower. I wouldn't wait until you do all the research as the willpower to fast is most important.

>willpower to fast is most important
Not him but how hard can it be to skip one meal?

Depending on carb intake, pretty hard in my case. I was already doing IF with snacks throughout the day on my normal diet. I tried to do OMAD as I was essentially just pigging out on one meal and just eating throughout the day. Went to IF, which was pretty much a snack in the middle of work (200-500cal) then pigging out when I got home. Then went to OMAD, which was just cutting out the snack in the middle of work. The willpower takes a bit to build up, but it's doable.

The will-power is easy for me and I've done IF for a few days last week as mentioned earlier. The problem is that I don't hit all my macros while doing it, which I need to see gains from working out at the same time.

If I aim to get minimum 150G-200G of protein per day, that means within the 8 hour eating period I would typically need to eat a diet consisting of something like;
>Chicken breast with salad etc = roughly 30g protein (3 meals of that every 2 hours = 90g protein)
>2 protein shakes somewhere throughout = 30g each x 2 = 60G total
= 150G protein total

The problem is that it's best recommended to do the 8 hour eating period between 12PM-8PM, and seeing as I'm at work during most of that time, and only get home at about 7PM it's a challenge squeezing in all those meals every 2 hours while at work.

Attached: archer.gif (320x240, 1.02M)

you can lose fat fast, but then gain it back way easier and superfast. So is it rly worth? Or autophagy will take care and destroy extra fat storage cells?

>IF for a few days last week
Sounds like you are not committed to even the most basic of fasting diets. Do IF everyday. If OMAD seems hard you're new to fasting.

IF (as in 16:8) is so close to CICO that you should just do a standard cut, but within the eating window. Get the willpower to do IF everyday, and fine tune the macros.

>The problem is that it's best recommended to do the 8 hour eating period between 12PM-8PM, and seeing as I'm at work during most of that time, and only get home at about 7PM it's a challenge squeezing in all those meals every 2 hours while at work.
You can make your window whenever as long as it's 8 hours at most. Tune it to your needs. In my case I started it halfway through my workday (2am) to a little after when I get home (10am). I may be an extreme example due to working night-shift, but that's to show you that you can make it whenever.

What I'm trying to get at is that you have an 8-hour feeding window. That you can start whenever depending on your lifestyle. You don't need 12:00-20:00 just because some guy told you that. Refer to . Your body will get used to whatever feeding window you throw at it.

To most everyone snake diet is a crash diet. Have a plan for after you get lean such as OMAD.

yeah, autophagy comes with a lot of benefits.
Just make sure you don't lose more weight than you can regain.

i had buttsex with doctor jason fung
then i ate out doctor jason fung's anus
i got doctor jason dung on my doctor jason tongue

Do you need snake juice on 72s?

One thing I noticed after doing this a few times: I'm a much pickier eater now. It's often said that hunger is the best spice, and that's sorta true. But now that I'm used to hunger and I've realized how bad it's really not, I find myself preferring hunger to foods I really hate. Currently I'm doing a stint in a program that feeds you whatever it feels like, and I can't afford my own food, so getting comfortable with hunger is really helpful. In fact, despite not strictly regimenting my diet, I've gone from 165 to 150lb (5'6" manlet, I'm skinnyfat) since new year's. Good shit

Is fat adaption a meme?

If I eat keto for a couple weeks will fasting be easier than say doing it from carbs, or from 1 week of keto?

Attached: 5A13A392-6B0F-4BF9-A9BC-EE2D6AF177B5.jpg (1024x624, 63K)

Yes, it's a meme.
Your body evolved to survive purely on cookies and cereal. Give it something else and it just dies.

I meant the body adapting in terms of hunger/cravings and having absolutely none while ketogenic after a while

pls respond

Not required, but recommended after 24-48 hours.

my answer is i dont fucking know, ive been doing omad for a bit now, and any hair loss for me was already present, as i take after my fathers genes for hair. the thing is, with hair loss, is a bad diet and stress ARE factors, but the deciding factor for hair loss, in ALL cases, is always going to be genetics. if you are losing hair due to fasting, it is most likely because you were going to lose it in the first place, and this is merely speeding things up a tad

I,m 2 weeks into keto, I have very little hunger. I eat 2 meals a day with just coffee and a protein shake throughout.

my personal experience is that after a week of strict keto, the carb cravings really start diminishing. don't fall for the "cheat meal" meme. if you actually were on ketosis, you won't even want a cheat meal. if you go for it just because you told yourself you would it will not even taste good, will leave you unsatisfied and likely to cheat again to curb that unsatisfaction.

I have had small meals usually. If I wanted to do OMAD, what really satisfying meals could I do?

How is low-carb OMAD not the patrician diet? No problems from CICO-fags due to eating low calories. No problems from Keto-fags because your macros are in line. At best /fast/ looks in disappointment at you, but you are still technically fasting. Low carb one meal a day is the best diet.

youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

Anecdotal fag here. I've been doing intermittent fasting, 18:6 at the very minimum but usually OMAD. I don't know if my meals are keto but I eat zero refined sugar, very rarely some fruit or whole-grain bread, mostly lean meat, fatty fish, cheese, eggs, nuts, cottage cheese, etc.
The first several days I was constantly thinking about food, and it made me mad so I just went OMAD. These last three days I don't even get hungry for food, let alone obsess over it. I just realize my muscles are getting a bit weak. If my lifestyle was a bit more passive, I could definitely skip a day without any hunger.
If this was the type of meal or simply breaking my food addiction, I do not know. I'm sure that eating fat/protein rich food is what keeps me feeling energetic and spry, even when I consume easily less than half of what I expend, calorie-wise.

I fucking wish I was hungry so I could eat food and gain satisfaction from it aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

yeah you read it wrong, dont eat ANYTHING, eating too low of calories is way worse than eating nothing because you are kicking your body out of ketosis. Lookup Dr Jason Fung, watch his videos, read his books

I've heard that sodium is the electrolyte that needs to be most urgently replenished. Maybe you can drink a cup of saltwater every day during the fast, it certainly won't do any harm.
Cole says you should be okay.

Holy fuck lads, 40 hours in and I'm dying here.
I'm not even hungry but I feel so weak and sluggish like I wanna sleep but I'm also not tired.
Yesterday was pretty good and felt like I could push for 72 but now I really need to get some coconut water to ignite some energy in me. Gonna push for the 48 and refeed.

>wrong
I've fasted for days multiple times, the weight has stayed off and I'm even still slowly losing weight, cope harder faggot

I'm drinking this instead of snake juice fight me

Attached: Untitled-2_copy.jpg (600x600, 111K)

OMAD is likely a patrician diet. Elites don't spend forever eating, they've got the world to run. Then they'll have banquets and balls and 15 course dinners- you think they were eating heavy before that?

Are you working out while fasting?

>apple
>a fruit
>full of sugar
>sugar raises insulin the most
>wont kick you out of ketosis

Attached: 1458368940135.jpg (650x540, 209K)

Im really hoping autophagy will take care of some extra skin and fat cells. I have a really severe case of paradoxical adipose hyperplasia. What I get for trying to take a short cut to trimming up. Literally the worst reaction to cool sculpting they have ever seen. I have just started doing 48 drys to try and combat this as much as I can without surgery. Only on my second one.

I should add that I have already lost over 20lbs with diet and exercise and had 1 Lipo procedure done on the effected areas, and they are still bulging way more then before the cool sculpting. Most likely will need more to correct. Really hoping to avoid having an abdominoplasty done with dry fasting.

I just figured out I'm retarded guys,

drink snake juice cold with cayenne added, it makes it much easier. I originally didn't want to drink it because it made me feel sick to my stomach but cold and with cayenne it is much more palatable.

Who here getting ready for Lent

no, worked out 5 days a week pre-fast, zero working out during fast, will go back to 5 a week once i'm back to eating normally again

More expensive, less electrolytes and (((artificial sweeteners))).

That looks like genetic male pattern baldness.
My understanding is weight loss in general due to a combination of lack of necessary nutrients and stress can cause some hair to fall out but it's not necessarily permanent. When I was doing OMAD/48 hour fasts some months ago I noticed more hair coming out in the shower, but not in clumps and my hair doesn't seem noticeably thinner. Just restarted fasting and have yet to notice any more loss.

So you're probably gonna want to look into a hair transplant.

>he fell for it

Kek

did you actually think this thread wasn't a meme trick to make idiots like you starve to death? eat something user holy shit

Fuck off samefaggot

if one were to do this, what would be a good bulk time to cutting time ratio?
Or just bulk until you feel gross and then cut until you see abs?

Done some 7 day fasts, planning on going for a 30 day fast starting march 1st, which should land me in 10-12% bodyfat by the end.

Anyone done any super long fasts? How does it affect work/study? Should you work out lightly while doing super long fasts? Does Autophagy increase substantially in very long fasts?

Post how deep you are in your current fast. You are fasting right, user?
>42 hrs here

Attached: Dy167LoWoAYG_Dj.jpg (809x867, 48K)

Haven't even gone 24 hours yet but it's a dry fast so we'll see what's going on.

>implying

yeah go back to tricking people into starving.

The human body literally cannot survive without three big Mac meals a day.

>doesn't taste like shit
>will not cause you to ooze anal mucus

also I am not poor, they are like 80¢ a can

44 here, honestly the second day is a lot more bearable than the first.