Give it to me straight. Is keto a meme or not?

Give it to me straight. Is keto a meme or not?

Attached: F3D080D7-FC0F-45DF-BA24-A1F93B0ADF6D.jpg (1536x2048, 440K)

not a meme for me, been working great. I lost ~80 pounds 5 years ago on it and am now getting back into it.

Works well from what I have seen and there has been no big horror stories from people doing it properly, carnivore is probably a better route as you won't spend tons of time meal planning and won't make mistakes to knock you out of ketosis. Worth a shot to do keto if you have the time and money, I would recommend carnivore but it is still pretty new

Keto makes it easier to reduce your caloric intake and hit protein targets.

It will not produce superior fat loss as a high carb diet, controlling for calories consumed.

It can reduce water retention.

It's good for cutting.

It's great for losing weight. If you're bulking, look for other options.

it's the only way I can cut

It’s a good short-moderate term diet for people who want to lose weight but have a hard time controlling their diet. If you haven’t noticed most name and fad diets are basically the elimination or severe restriction of food or a food group (IF, low fat, keto, etc) this makes it easier for people unable/unwilling to restrict their caloric intake to eat at a deficit, since they cut out major portions of their typical diet.

Is it objectively bad? No. Is it some secret magical diet that causes fat loss at obscene rates previously unimaginable? Also no. It’s good for what it is, a relatively simple diet for people who don’t watch their diet too closely.

It’ll also help you shed water weight since the carbs/glycogen in your body hold water close to them. This is good because it makes you lighter but bad because some people mistake this for instant fat loss of several pounds and get misled

This.
I'm down 65 pounds since last April from doing keto. My wife dropped 55. I just now stepped away from it to a more traditional calorie in, calorie out style.

It works well, if you follow the guidelines for it, and it's really good as a tool to teach you what you're eating and how much of something to eat by forcing you to read the labels of the foods you eat.

You can achieve the same thing with a CICO diet, but it's harder to balance the lower calories with getting enough protein. Keto makes that stupid proof.
But Keto isn't a long term solution, because you will get sick as fuck of eating the same foods over and over because it's the only stuff low carb enough to eat.

>time and money
IMO keto doesn't require either. All you need is basic food groups that you know the macros of and keep pounding all week.

Each day goes exactly like this
9ish a.m. Breakfast: 5 slices of bacon, 2 eggs, 6 oz of plain icelandic yogurt, a hot dog or sausage (good quality), and a pot of coffee.

Snack: Mozzerela and deli chicken and/or protein shake. Both on days I lift (3x a week).

7ish p.m. Dinner: Meat portion (roughly 1/2 of a pound of chicken or beef), another hot dog, more mozz (3 or 4 oz), sometimes homemade soup made with the fond from the pan and beef stock, or sometimes i'll make a cheese sauce out of cheddar, parmesan, and light whipping cream and of course about a pound of uncooked veggies (broccoli or spinach).

I also take a multivitamin and a ton more coffee during the day.

Once you get use to this method, you'll find its not very time consuming and loads less than you used to spend. Unless of course you're staving yourself with rice.

The only thing keto requires is the willpower to start.

Carnivore is a lot easier to keep up, keto alone takes a lot of time preparing and sticking to strictly

Can you build muscle on keto?

do you have seizures?

if you do, then there is evidence it may help
if you don't, then it doesn't affect weight loss any different than any other calorie restriction diet

Keto is a MEME

wanna lose weight? calorie deficit
does it matter how you partition your macros? not as long as you're in a calorie deficit

high carb, low fat, high fat, low carb, balanced macros, doesn't fucking matter, the only thing that matter is a consistent calorie deficit over a period of 8-12 weeks, after that, I would take a 2-4 week diet break before dieting down any further. You must count all of your calories, non-negotiable.

Some say no, some say yes. I can only speak to my personal experience, but I am definitely getting stronger DESPITE the keto diet.

I'm this guy

Buddy started keto last week and I'm starting keto on Tuesday once the in-laws leave. Plan is to lose 30-40 lbs

Just die already boomer
Obviously not, unless you're denying science. Look up ketosis.

>science has never been wrong

It's a diet designed for obese diabetics

>Try to bulk with keto
>Chad roomates tell me I’m retarded and need carbs
Why is fitness so hard?

Doubtful seeing as all I see promoting it are bodybuilders

just do whatever works for you, faggot, I eat carbs and lose weight, idiot

It's a silly diet for body builders whose caloric intake is already so low that they wont even be ketone efficient unless they starve themselves.

Lifting heavy on keto pulls stored glycogen from your liver anyways so they are shooting themselves in the foot. Bodybuilders who suggest keto are either jumping on the bandwagon and cheating or just simply haven't done the research.

That being said, keto is IDEAL for the obese and those with type 2 diabetes.

I'm doing it to fix some perceived blood sugar problems. I do feel way better as in more consistent energy throughout the day, less hungry, can go longer between meals without feeling light headed and retarded and less anxiety, depression and brain fog that is associated with low blood sugar.

Downsides being I've noticed a decreased gym performance and even longer recovery time from weight training. Also if you're a big booze hound, you can't hold your liquor as well and get twice as hungover.

Now here is my short form note on why keto is effective for weight loss. From a fat burning perspective, you will only burn fat if your body runs out of glycogen and you have no insulin in your blood. Keto makes it so you always have lower blood sugar and insulin and trains your body to burn fat more efficiently out of necessity so when you run out of dietary fats for fuel your body can make a smoother transition to running off the fat on your own body. For somebody older that has insulin resistance problems and a high carb diet it can become very difficult to lose weight

THAT BEING SAID. Most people on this board are like 17-22 or something and have perfectly healthy metabolic systems so a diet as extreme as keto is as necessary. NOW for Bill who is 40 and obese keto is a better option because he has fucked up his bodies ability to manage his own insulin and blood sugar.

Making a lot of assumptions there buddy, keto is pretty healthy, carnivore is looking even better. The bandwagon is dying but people are promoting it as the science is looking better and better for general health

It's a great way to trick your body into eating fewer calories.
It isn't magic. It's literally just a diet plan that takes advantage of the higher satiety of protein and fat rich foods.

Works better for some people and not for others. Usually it's much more effective for long term weight loss than CICO, that seems to be more effective at maintaining than long term big fatloss.

5-15 lbs: CICO
20-50 lbs: Keto
60-300 lbs: long term water fasts

Wrong.

I think there are some people that react to carbs the way that others react to cocaine.

Source: have baggies of coke at my house that I only use on special occasions. I literally can not have carbs in my house or I will eat them.

You smug little bastard.

>hurr I tried it and didn't do it very well, therefore it's wrong for everyone.

People don't want you to make it bro

thinking keto is some kind of silver bullet for fat loss is what makes it a meme, it's touted as such and it isn't really any better for fat loss than any other kind of diet

It's the same as any other diet which puts you in a caloric deficit. Keto itself isn't magic at all, it just happens to work well because it's more sustainable food wise to continue for long periods of time.

brainlet

>bodybuilders on social media shill this, I must be true! It’s not like Internet personalities are known to push whatever’s popular, regardless of what they’re actually doing, for views
Fucking retard

>bulking in keto
Lol, you are going to die.

If I’m cutting on low carbs normal fat high protein could I have one day of keto or does it only work while in ketosis? I generally get 100g carbs a + cardio

Good for fatties

"Ketosis" is basically just an extremely elevated presence of ketones on your blood, indicating that your body is producing ketones for fuel, not just as an emergency release.

This only happens when you deplete your glycogen stores in your muscles and unless you're severely starved of carbs your body will store glycogen after eating, thus keeping you from ketosis.

shit if it was me i'd have finished all the cocaine and then i'd be OCD mode looking in my stashes for more even though i knew there wasnt more

I react to carbs the same way others react to coke. People just don't get it. CICO doesn't work when you're fiending for chips and shit

Aw yes that is excellently what I said, everyone I seen promoting it is a social media shill and not just people I met in real life or in health forums online

Okay but would one day of keto (just because I don’t feel like making rice) make the fat get stored or would my body just burn it?

If one day you decided you didn't want carbs then your body would use the stored glycogen in your muscles and liver to fuel your body. Fat absorption would remain virtually unaffected.

Your body starts to breakdown fats into ketones in your liver ONLY when you've run out of glycogen. The amount of glycogen in your muscles and the time it takes to run out are different for everyone, but definitely not one day.

100g in the liver and 200g is skeletal muscles

>wut
elaborate

Alright. I may not do it just because once muscle glycogen is depleted I’ll look worse and I’m trying to get some puss tonight

No, the amount of protein you need to put on mass kicks you out of ketosis

If you want the benefits of keto while still being anabolic, try intermittent fasting

Ive been on keto for a bit and while its been awesome for weight-loss, your muscles don't have the water weight either. Stay big bro

For weight loss it's great. Lost 20 pounds in 2 months being super strict about it. I ultimately stopped because i was a wagecuck and ate the same foods over and over. Couldn't even look at bacon or eggs for a while. Can't say anything for bulking
>Pros:
-protein fills you up more so you're not starving between meals
-meat/cheese/veggies are tasty
-it's mainstream as fuck now so there are tons of recipes out there
-pretty simple guideline: avoid carbs
>Cons
-can be expensive depending which meats you eat
-my shits were liquidy half the time
-one day of indulging too many crabs puts you out of ketosis for the few days following

fuckin bullshit, there is a study where only around 8g for lean muscle mass (kilogram) will kick u out

Probably done by some coping ketofag and wasnt replicated

Can confirm.
If I eat 1g of carbs, I can't stop until I have to actually vomit because of stomach pain from overeating.

I have Marlon Brando tier cravings.

Honestly has worked great right now. It’s been about 4-5 days since I started and now I’m down 10 pounds. I’d recommend going to rite aid or some place like that and get those keto strips, piss on them and see if you’re in ketosis or not. Right now I’m in ketosis with a moderate 40 mg/dL.

There's a reason IIFYM died out and the only people who still think cico is as simple as adding all the nutrition label numbers up are on reddit user

Metabolic adaptations change the body's preference for one fuel source over another and calories actually absorbed from food varies wildly depending gut biome

Are ketone supplements worth it or are they a meme? Doing keto and occasionally i have to break it once every fortnight for family gatherings etc. figured it would help get back into keto asap when i break it.

Attached: CD06293F-55E7-4E52-AC2C-21838803C8FD.jpg (554x554, 29K)

Yes but it also works

Absolutely not, these are a complete and total ripoff. These essentially put ketone bodies directly into your urine, so that when you use the urinalysis testing strips, it says you're in ketosis whether you are or not.
You're literally paying for more expensive urine.

ITT: golden mean fallacies everywhere

It works really well with intermittent fasting (I do 20:4 fast/feed) given the lack of carbs eliminates your cravings and hunger considerably. Keto+IF eating BMR has given me quicker results than general CICO.

>Keto is a MEME
its literally low carb which you advised

its a meme if you want to lose fat faster

its not a meme if you want an easy route to temporary appetite reduction

as always, have a diet exit plan or you'll just bloat back up