Is it possible to learn social skills late in life?

Is it possible to learn social skills late in life?

Attached: welcome.jpg (561x453, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slatestarcodex.com/2014/04/23/friendship-is-countersignaling/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, before age seven. After that you're too far behind to catch up to your peers and it's not socially acceptable to associate with those far younger than you.

I'm not talking about the bullshit social skills found in "advice books" written by academics. I mean the real shit. For example the concept of countersignaling. "Hey asshole!" might be a completely acceptable greeting for a beloved friend in certain situations, but this shit NEVER GETS TALKED ABOUT. The only writing I've found on the subject is this:
slatestarcodex.com/2014/04/23/friendship-is-countersignaling/

Attached: CM9Vk66WIAAyzE8.jpg (600x600, 68K)

Yeah. Achieve ottermode. Then throw yourself into situations you'd normally never do, meeting new people and introducing yourself into the conversation whenever there's a window of opportunity and repeating it over and over and over again until you are able to do it practically instinctually.

Yes, I'll teach them all to you now in two steps

1. Don't ever act offended, surprised or seriously impacted by anything
2. Say things people find funny and cool

>Achieve ottermode
is it all really that superficial?

yeah, happened in my early 20s

Attached: 1546271199078.png (900x900, 138K)

The entire species revolves around looks.

it's entirely possible to be a 10/10 autist who remains a virgin due to autism

IT'S NEVER TOO LATE user. THE SKY IS THE FUCKING LIMIT
LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOO

not from a Jedi

Attached: revenge of the sith17.jpg (500x211, 26K)

>never satisfied with anything

send help, stuff everyone else is excited for me about I feel nothing about. the hell is wrong with me?

I think this gets talked about all the time but only in the context of aspergers/autism. I've never heard of a neurotypical person not being able to learn this

absolutely not, if you're autistic you will always be. people who tell you otherwise are some puberty angs kids who felt antisocial for few years

Attached: The_Behelit.jpg (400x500, 56K)

in fact autism/neuroticism takes over with age, you will induce alcohol in the picture, your depression likely will get worse and so on

I don't think so. I've heard of people switching to carnivore diet and becoming much more social. Seems to be helping me as well, but I'm only a week in so far and still adapting to it.

i was expecting you mention gold showers and nofap. jesus christ

I was a dungeon dwelling WoW raider virgin through high school and college. At 23 I said fuck it, went full Zyzz(without roids)bought a ticket overseas, started fucking a lot of girls. Then came back to America a new man with newfound confidence.

Never give up. I’m serious.

Haha yeah, carnivore is the next thing that will be added to the meme list. But it does seem to be beneficial for anxiety and just generally acting less autistic.

lol OP what "skills" are you trying trying to learn exactly.

except its age 4 but ok

Fuck

Late as in your 70's?
otherwise you shouldn't be acting like a bitch and go for it without complaining.

greentext some of you adventures

Sure man.
Spent a week in Vladivostok, Russia
Pic related is Club Ra on the beachside. To preface the story I met two Russians while I was living in Korea. They spoke Russian to me thinking I was Russian too but I only l knew “privyet”, we ended up partying all night playing beer pong and dancing. Getting by with the moderate English they knew. Stayed in touch they they helped me get a visa to Russia, set me up with the hostels/accommodations. Went for a week and saw all the city had to offer, saw a theatrical performance, a war parade, tore up downtown, bought some cool souvenirs.

Attached: C50ED6A5-DC87-4E5D-90BE-03192FA3202A.jpg (960x640, 132K)

This pic is the actual korean bar I met the Russians in, called “Thursday Party”

Korea was a lot of crazy nightlife. They party so hard it’s ridiculous. $1 soju bottles. Places are open all night. Delicious food. Amazing people.

Places like Osaka, Busan, Auckland were all places that attract a very international audience.

I won’t clog up the thread with a blog. Just finally broke outta my shell, quit wow, quit fast food, learned to cook healthy at home, started going to the gym, watched hella dance videos on YouTube and practiced In front of a mirror (srs).

I’d force myself to go out EVERY WEEKEND. Whether I get like it or not. I set goals to talk to 5 peoples day, compliment people a day, ask for 5 numbers a day, etc.

Just replaced all my shit habits with better ones

Attached: B179D51A-97FF-4C82-8B08-4ADAB9D0E4B4.jpg (720x960, 183K)

Great story mate. Glad you made it

/thread

I started doing weed and it turned me into a bit of a neruotypical. For some reason I understand basic social queues when I'm high that I normally wouldn't otherwise and I find it a lot easier to maintain eye contact for more than 1 second.
I also lost my desire to watch anime.

Attached: 1536304835044.webm (954x646, 920K)

You're close, but it's not limited to a specific place.
Spending time abroad, anywhere, is good for building social skills.
For one thing, you learn/ begin to learn a second language, which has all kinds of mental and communication benefits.
For another, there's a *lot* more leeway given to your behaviour, particularly in non-western countries, because everybody acts so differently that they just assume you're acting normal for your people. And difficulty communicating is put down to the fact that there's a literal fucking language barrier you're trying to overcome. Same with shyness or asocialness- of course you're going to be a little insecure when you're so far out of your comfort zone, and everyone knows it. So you're not going to get written off as weird so easily, and that gives you time to naturally develop social skills just by being around people.
Also, when you fuck up, you *know* people are going to put it down to cultural differences so there's less anxiety about meeting up with them again. It's something to laugh about, rather then something you replay in your head constantly.
And finally, when you get back to your country, it breaks down the mental barrier you had about your own perceptions of your capabilities, and it makes the learning process so much easier with a significant headstart from your previous position.

Living in a completely alien environment for a significant period of time is, no joke, a great way to start making social gains.