Redpill me on rowing Jow Forums

Redpill me on rowing Jow Forums

A lot of "professionals" claim it's the king of cardio.

Attached: 25c884b5-4028-49c5-a952-5c7e205fda37_1.19f6f165ab1af19335636d77ec643e1a.jpeg-b31b530a94b1f3d07a0ebd3 (450x450, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

britishrowing.org/indoor-rowing/go-row-indoor/how-to-indoor-row/british-rowing-training-plans/
youtube.com/watch?v=QZ-Lp0JHdYo
youtube.com/watch?v=ImIY6x6qQH0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I love it. Absolutely burns up my glutes and quads. It's been my only cardio while I recover from plantar fasciitis. It won't get me in great running shape but I feel like it will really help my hill running.

Uni crew fag here, tons of people use the rowing machine (erg) at the gym incorrectly but mostly it's about keeping posture & body sequencing. All the power comes from your legs, glutes & back.

Try to sit up nice and tall, coaches will tell us to row like we're being pulled by a string from our head, this helps keep you from hunching over.

It's a good idea to look up some videos on youtube on 'rowing sequencing' - you'll see there's a cycle from Legs-Body-Arms on the drive (when you're at full compression then performing a stroke) then Arms-Body-Legs on the recovery(when you're sliding back to the front of the machine). Also, a great idea to have a mirror to the side to check your form. Most erg's have wheels on the front of them so they're pretty easy to slide around if you get the back end lifted up.

>All the power comes from your legs, glutes & back.
I am doing it WRONG.

Yeah most folks tend to overwork their arms & shoulders as a source of power but it's really your legs that are supposed to provide all the energy.

The drive always starts with the legs, then your body(back) and finishes with your arms. Then on the recovery going back to the beginning of the stroke, you go back in arms first, then body, then legs. That gives your legs the longest time to recover since they do most of the work.

How do towers get such jacked upper bodies? Is it just from rowing, and with much more resistance than I am rowing with, or are they lifting to perform better?

no no no, you have it all wrong, you need to allow your back to bend, then half hardheartedly drag the chain half way to your stomach as your body is already coming back. it also helps if you watch tv while you're doing it.

Another thing to add to that user: that switch on the side of the fan that has numbers on? Putting it up higher doesn't necessarily translate to "more weight" like most dude bros think it does. That adjusts the drag factor of the erg, meaning that it tries to simulate the drag you feel while rowing on water. There's usually a way for the machine to give you a reading of what drag factor is, which should be between 100-135. I personally enjoy something close to 110 to 115.
Like said, the sequence of the body is important. You should be lifting the handle over your knees cause that translates to rocking your boat on the water. Arms out first, then while keeping your back straight bend over as far as you can, slide down the track until your knees are about 90 degrees, then reverse everything you just did with your arms pulling in coming last. Arms out first, arms in last. The "slide" is typically what you call the transition down the track, and really the only break you get. MOST of the power from the stroke comes from pushing off at the end of the slide.

Increasing resistance doesn't really help. It's the workout and the mentality. Ever heard of the University of Washington bucket challenge?

Is there a program for rowing that's something like couch to 5k?

I actually just bought a merax magnetic rower and I've been digging it. Only problem is it doesn't measure distance; only reps, time and calories. Is there a possible way to come up with time based PR's? Like 10-20 mins a day? Or so many reps?

Attached: 635975147015236338.jpg (736x588, 50K)

Does it tell you the 500 meter split and stroke rating? If you have your 500 meter split, then that can help you set PRs depending on how long you're rowing for, but it sounds like it doesn't measure that. What do you mean by reps? Is it strokes per a minute?
I used to teach rowing over the summers a while back, let me try and dredge up some workout routines that could help you. The most important part is getting the technique down first, then slowly increasing the intensity of your workouts.

it's for pussies too scarred to go to the bike

I feel like killing myself every time I am close to finishing my bike routine, and I never sweat so much so much like on the bike, sweat drips from me like I was in pouring rain
so I can see why normies would prefer some meme rowing

Thanks, I've tried rowing before but it didn't seem like it made me winded (I know this is a bad metric for effectiveness of workout but I was wondering if I was really burning all that many calories doing it) and so I wasn't sure how hard I was really working at it, I've been told my form is correct though

>Is it strokes per a minute
Looks like its just a total stroke count

Actual rowers get jacked forearms from having to 'feather' the blade - essentially twisting the oar handle every single stroke while at super high paces during a race. Also another thing we have to do on the water(especially for a novice crew) is fight to keep the boat level.

Depending on the wind, chop of the water, and skill of the crew your oar blade can be skimming or plunging into the water while you row, we use our shoulders a great bit to keep the oar level the entire time and correct against weather & wake etc.

It doesn't seem like much but often times we're practising 2-3 hours with minimal breaks between pieces and you don't ever have time to let your arms rest.

Also we practice with rather low resistance. Almost every erg in a normal gym has the damper set to maximum where we normally keep it around 3-4 and we go into the settings to set our 'drag factor' each time also.

The point being is that we aren't trying to tow around a massive metal boat, racing shells are very sleek & lightweight - we focus more on technique, synchronization & consistency.

60% legs, 30% back and 10% arms is what my coach always told us

Hmm...that makes things a bit harder to figure out. I’d say try to initially aim for a steady state pace, so where you’re working out hard enough where you can barely hold a conversation. Try that out for about 10-15 minutes trying to keep the stroke count increasing at a consistent rate, then if you want sprint it out for the last 1-2 minutes.
If you have good technique, I would say go for 2k training right now if you’re comfortable with maintaining a higher stroke rating (26-32). Spring is usually 2k time, so it fits. I’d say start off with some 30 sec on, 30 off x 12 is a nice starting sprint. Aim for sub 2:15 minute 500 split with an average 28 strokes per a minute if you can. If that’s too easy shoot for sub 2:00 minute. Other good exercises for starting off is 250 meters sprints with a 1:30 rest x 4. Always keeping moving during the rests too so you don’t cramp up. If you’re not winded by the 250 sprints bump it up to 500 with an additional 30 seconds of rest (so 2:00 minutes). Try to eventually work up to 8 500 sprints with rest, keeping a consistent stroke rating between 26-32 and sub 2:00 minutes. You will always try and make the final few your best, even if you start slackin in between. Empty that fuckin tank brotha. Once you’re comfortable and think you can handle it, go for a 2k, getting up to speed in your first 500 meters, steadying out for the middle 1000, then increasing to a sprint every additional 100 meters in your final 500. Doing a pyramid of half the rest time of time on will also kick your butt, going up to about 1:30-2:00 max depending on how much you wanna push yourself.

>magnetic rower

>magnetic
>rower
pick one

Oh, forgot to mention, when I was doing club we always did sprints at a resistance of 1. It’ll kick your butt a bit more since resistance does make it a bit easier to an extent, or at least that’s how I feel. Some other guys might be able to confirm it. Never set that resistance higher than 7, there’s never really an excuse to do that even at an Olympic level (having actually met some Olympic towers and talked to them about training before, purely through some weird dinner my family was hosting for a guy from the USS Princeton). Hopefully some other guys who tow can chime in, since I live to far from any clubs to do it anymore and have kinda only been doing erg training. A little bit out of the game.

Swimming>Rowing>Cycling>Running

Concept 2 or Water Rower and why?

Concept 2 mostly because of the familiarity of using it and starting off with it. I also don’t like the feel of the resistance the water provides compared to the air fan on the concept 2. Concept 2’a also have a lot of options for setting up workouts that I’m familiar with, while I can’t say I’ve sunk too much time to figure out everything available on the water rower.

Concept 2 is used by the indoor pros. I did a 500m sprint at 1:12 on a water rower. I have trouble breaking 1:30 pace at any time during a 500 sprint on a Concept 2. So I guess it's more difficult but it could come down to accuracy.

>Rowing thread
>13 years as a rowerfag
Im a happy user today boys

Attached: 1547554480830.png (300x300, 112K)

so is it the king of cardio or what

britishrowing.org/indoor-rowing/go-row-indoor/how-to-indoor-row/british-rowing-training-plans/

According to most people at the gyms I've been to, rowing machines are for sitting down and texting for 30 minutes.

NEVER SKIP PHONE DAY

If it's your only form of cardio then it's pretty impractical. It doesn't translate to day to day life as much as running, hiking, cycling, box stepping, or any other number of more leg oriented forms of cardio.

Thanks user

Lol, you obviously have never pushed yourself on the rowing machine. I recently went to an indoor rowing competition and for the 2k event, i literally felt like i was going to die. Had to lay down for a solid 30 mins.

Legs, back, and forearms were burning for a good 10 mins after the event. Got a sub 6:50 or 6:40 on the 2k, cant remember exactly.

I was following a SF dude on insta, before he locked his account, and he was fucking jacked. He said that he didnt run that much and ppl always asked him how he kept his cardio good (since military SOF emphasizes on running) and he said thay besides eating a godly amoumt of food to keep his muscle mass, he also rowed alot.

Basically,rowing is a really good workout, but, as with every other workout, it really just depends on how hard you are willing to push yourself.

Its only useful if your using good equipment.

if it's still supposed to work your lower body, is there a cardio workout that works the upper body at all?

I mean you can row half strokes or do what we call 'arms & body only':

youtube.com/watch?v=QZ-Lp0JHdYo

But you'd be better off doing some sort of shoulders & arms circuit if that's what you're looking for. Also battling ropes might be your best option if your gym has any.

Rowing tends to wear out my hip flexors pretty quickly, or make them cramp a bit. Anyone have that issue or know of a decent solution? I'd like to row more for low-impact cardio.

King of Cardio is jump rope.

Boxing

is this a troll or are you being serious?

anyone going to the indoor world championship in long beach later this month?

I'm not.
youtube.com/watch?v=ImIY6x6qQH0

...the ice bucket thing...?

Anyone going to Crash-B's?

Im ready for crash B's

w-what about the elliptical

Looks like you can just do this after you push out with your legs.

swimming with a pool buoy between your legs, "pull only"

boxing, kinda

battle ropes

bodyweight circuits

Sounds like another faggot lying about not being on roids

Oh yeah king of cardio, that's why you always saw Mike Tyson, Ali, and Canelo always on the rowing machine.

Pfft get the fuck out.

Running is and always will be king of cardio.

yeah, its possible (probable). But it does make sense to do a cardio that is less impactful than running.

>king of cardio
>cardio
Why the fuck would you waste your time like that.
Also swimming is the king of cardio.

Anyone who doesn't think its the king of cardio has never done it right.

its really nice and natural but it give my arms really weird spasms

I warmup with that every time on max setting for 6 minutes. My traps and neck are in better shape than the rest of me.

Post 2ks
Mine is a meager 6:36 :(

Attached: IMG_4304.jpg (3264x2448, 1.09M)

I've trained on both road bikes and rowing boats, and also stationary bikes (wattbike) and rowing machine (concept 2)

I've achieved insane intensity on all of them however I've come close to puking only in a boat

wew not a rower, but just do it for a bit of fun. Gave myself a goal of getting under 7 minutes and did 6:57 last week. Almost threw up afterwards.

Sub 7 for a non rower is good, well done :)

i got the same advice from a crewanon (it could well be you as the advice is the same) in a Jow Forumsthread last year and it helped greatly. those yt videos were clear and spending time on technique made it a lot better experience. ended up regularly doing 10km in around 45 minutes, but couldn't really get it much quicker than that.
i could do quick sprints but my form went to shit. rowing was the most enjoyable thing in the gym.

Arm bikes

just swim breaststroke

any tips on how to go faster without hunching over

every time i try to do so my form just goes to shit