Gymnastics strength training, ido portal, calisthenics

Gymnastics strength training, ido portal, calisthenics....
Anyone into bodyweight strength training? I've recently gained interest in this after years of barbell training and trying to implement the two.
I currently train the main lifts and use bodyweight training progressions for accessory work.
Just want to find out other people's experience with this.
And by bodyweight i dont mean endless reps of pushups and situps but working towards harder progressions such as one arm chins, handstand pushups, front levers, planches, handstands and handbalancing. not so much interested in the movement/dance aspect though

Attached: 1_DmMVK1fYAby4hXYgN2VlfA.png (2000x861, 764K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uMDWAfenuvg
youtube.com/watch?v=CS9hAwAGu44
beastskills.com/tutorials/).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

convict conditions and you are your own gym get pushed a lot

calisthenics is largely a waste of time though, you're better off lifting and then practicing stretches/yoga from there

i enjoy the challenge of finding out what my body is capable of.
youtube.com/watch?v=uMDWAfenuvg
youtube.com/watch?v=CS9hAwAGu44
shit like this

Yeah, I don't even lift anymore since 3 years ago and instead do calisthenics and climbing - it's much more entertaining than lifting things up and putting them down. I do (or try to do) advanced calisthenics like you mentioned. I'm getting my tutorials from beastskills (beastskills.com/tutorials/). So far I can hold a handstand for ~45sec, do several unsupported handstand pushups, muscle ups, one arm chin ups, one arm push ups, handstand press, elbow lever, flag, L-seat and am now doing progressions to learn back and front lever.

Attached: 1526135718980.jpg (650x609, 35K)

How often do you train handbalancing/handstands? How do you train it? Set times? Certain volumes?
Still trying to find my balance and maybe try to get a one arm handstand though i dont think that would be a possiblity considering the commitment it requires.

Also, your training routine?

I train it every day unless I am outside hiking/mountaineering, I take a rest on that day. I also take one extra rest day per week where I don't do anything physical, so that makes it usually around 4-6 days per week.
I train 3 series of handstands to failure (i get into the handstand from handstand press and then hold it until my shoulders give in). After that, I rest and do the same, but with a pushup in the end - so 3 series of handstand push ups until failure (can only do 3 reps so far)

I enjoy it but most of the movements are a lot easier for manlets.

I guess handbalancing is an everyday thing then from your experience and what ive come across so far online. I still enjoy the barbell training though and dont want to give that up but it seems i may have to to improve the handstand stuff.
Are you working towards a one arm handstand? Or considered it?

Training routine is
>warm up
4 series of pull ups, followed by dips - both to failure with 1:30min rest between each series. After that I warm up my fingers and forearms with that grip training tool - the spring you hold in hand and press. 3 series of 50/25/15 reps, the lower the rep count the longer I hold the press
>hangboard training
I spend 30 min doing various exercises on the hangboard
>calisthenics training
-Dragon flags 3 series of slow reps until failure
-One armed pull up and chin up until failure
-Assisted one armed pull and chin up until failure (assisted by just one finger from the other hand)
-Flag until failure (only when I train outside, can't do it at home)
-Muscle ups 3 series until failure
-the handstand routine described in the previous post
-elbow lever 3 series until failure
-front lever progression, 3 series of band-assisted front lever holds until failure
I do this routine every day when it's not a rest day.

As for balance training, start with supported handstands (against the wall or door). At first just hold yourself against it to strengthen your shoulders and get the proper form. Afterwards, press your fingers against the floor and learn how they impact your posture, try to get your legs away from the wall and hold it just with your hands. Also, get supported handstand push ups into your routine if you already didn't, those will strengthen muscles involved in balancing a lot. There's a good, detailed tutorial for both handstand and handstand push ups on that beast skill site I linked, but in the end it's mostly a matter of experience and trying a lot. One armed handstand is also possible, why not, if you have time and dedication for it. I didn't try it yet however, my next balancing goal is to do handstand push ups on dips bars, looks sick :D

>Are you working towards a one arm handstand? Or considered it?
No, not yet, but I definitely will in the future. My goal right now is to hold a handstand for a minute and master handstand push ups on dips bars. After that, the next step would be one armed handstands, but that's like expert level. I don't think I am there yet

Nice. Fucking awesome. Thanks for sharing.

You warm up by doing pullups and dips to failure? That's dumb as hell.

No problem, I hope you continue your cali pursuits, I think it's extremely fun and rewarding hobby. It takes time to learn new moves, which can be annoying and frustrating, but if you stick to it, it also teaches you discipline. And the moment you finally master a new move is fucking amazing :D But yeah, unless you're some prodigy, it will take you time and effort, so don't despair, it's normal. Some of my friends have quit and just continued with lifting because they cba. Good luck user

Attached: 1522523758352.png (2825x3698, 2.62M)

Yeah I do. Why do you think it's dumb?

Because it will fuck with your work sets if you've just trained to failure, this is basic stuff. Also there is no leg work at all. Is this a troll?

Fuck how? I don't notice anything being fucked, in fact, I am doing quite a progress with my moves? And my climbing endurance has improved vastly as well. There is no leg work, calisthenics are terrible for legs, so you need to supplement it with something. There are only pistol squats to progress to.
No, it's not a troll, I am not a bodybuilder and I don't even lift. As I don't train for mass, I don't do any dedicated leg work as you've noticed. I do a lot of hiking, mountaineering, snowboarding and climbing though, which all put heavy stress on your legs, so those are the only activities I get my leg workout from. I know my legs aren't as aesthetic as they would be if I did weight training, but I don't think they are chicken legs either

Attached: DSC_0813.jpg (1944x2592, 677K)

You cannot effectively push your maximum strength if you have just trained your muscles to failure. Training to failure is not a warmup lol. Find me literally one resource online that recommends doing this.

>There are only pistol squats to progress to.

And you don't even do those.

I don't know if anyone recommends it, I never claimed to be an expert or said that I follow expert advice, I just answered what I do for my routine. I don't train according to any textbook.
>You cannot effectively push your maximum strength
But I am not training for maximum strength, that's not what you need in either calisthenics nor climbing user. You need endurance there and going by some logic, training till failure should be good for endurance, no? For example, when I started I could barely do 10 pull ups, while I can do 25 now and that number keeps rising. Also, when I'm climbing outside, I don't get gassed in the route as soon as I did before. I am also progressing with my cali moves so I fail to see how it's fucking me. I get it why it's a horrible idea to do in a weightlifting routine and it's seems to me like you're talking with having that in mind instead of what I focus on. Btw, if you check the rest of my routine, you will see hangboard training after warm up, which doesn't utilize the pull up/dips muscles as much, so by the time I reach calisthenics routine, they are somewhat rejuvenated.
>And you don't even do those.
Yeah I don't, no one is stopping OP from adding pistols to his routine though. He can (and should) build his own routine and see what works out best for him. He also mentioned he has a weightlifting routine as well, so I hope he covers his leg work there.

Attached: 1522864899945.jpg (630x630, 47K)

Op here, while i personally wouldnt do chin ups and dips to failure before doing oac and hspu, the fact that you can still pull off those strength feats after warming up to failure is impressive. I wonder though if you could improve your oac and hspu if you didnt do that warmup.
Though your routine is working for you and its helping you do your activities so its working and i cant do a oac and hspu so you know better than me.

Does pullups and dips to failure in 1st few sets
Begins strength training
Sure buddy, sure

Keep doing what work for you user, your comments brung too much salt!
Good job anyway

Attached: monsterback.jpg (431x504, 31K)

convict conditioning is hot garbage. obviously you think calisthenics is a waste of time is that is what you think a good training program for it is.

Post body brah.