Bone Broth

So I have about 2 lbs of chicken bones I've saved over the past week. I'm planning on making a bone broth with them. Does anyone have experience drinking bone broth regularly? Honestly just looking to save money by recycling product I'd normally waste. Also I bought 5 lbs of beef foot for a beef broth I'm going to make later.

Attached: chicken_bones.jpg (1037x1382, 343K)

>bone broth

so soup

You literally just boil them and use it as an ingredient or drink it. You already saved the bones and have the desire to do it, so just do it. What are you trying to accomplish with this thread? No one is going to tell you anything you dont already know its broth

You can make soup with the broth. But to make the broth it's actual bones, feet, the head and other generally discarded bits of an animal. By cooking it for 12-48 hours you extract the collagen and gelatin and other nutrients from the bones.

I already know what I'm going to to but I wanted to see what other anons have experienced by drinking it or cooking with it. Mostly want to know if its a fad meme or if it actually makes you feel better/stronger.

Save your veggie scrap like onion skins, carrot tops etc.... to add to it

add some celery/carrots/onion/garlic as well

cook it in a pressure cooker or crock pot

make sure to add apple cider vinegar to make the solution acidic in order to break down the bones

add some bay leaves, peppercorns, seaweed etc... to add some flavor/nutrition

you'll know you've done it right when you have a nice layer of fat that congeals on the top

some people say to skim the "scum" off the top if you're cooking it in a crock pot

it will result in a bit more clarity of the final product but I do it in a pressure cooker and just strain everything at the end

make sure to freeze the extra it doesn't keep very long in the fridge, no more than a week

What the fuck man. Its literally broth. You've eaten broth your whole life just because youre making it doesnt give it special powers. All the broth you've ever eaten came from bones and someone boiled them up. No one is gonna tell you drinking broth is gonna change your life.

I drink it all the time. Benefits are mainly from collagen. Can help with lining of digestive track and joint health, that's it mainly. Pro tip if you're gong to make your own: use a pressure cooker. Takes about 4-6 hours instead of two days. Dont have one? Get one for fuck's sake, they're amazing.

grocery store rotisserie chicken carcasses make god tier broth

i do it occasionally, its really not complicated. if you just went and bought raw bones you wanna blanch and roast them first but if theyve been cooked just chuck em in a pot with other veg trimmings, salt/pepper, water and a little vinegar and gg

Store bought broths are not even close to the same as making it yourself. There are lots of extra additives to make it last longer and it's watered down.

Have you felt that your joints are feeling better? For the most part I don't have joint issues but I would like to start healing my gut. I'm going to buy one to make broth but also yogurt and maybe use the extra whey and dehydrate it to make my own protein powder.

prob because they're coated inside and out with some kind of vegetable oil

I use an instant pot.
Add an onion, some dill, carrots, etc.
Slow cook (or instant pot) for a long fucking time. Strain it out. It's better than store bought.

>use the extra whey and dehydrate it to make my own protein powder
don't be surprised when it tastes like actual cock

this but spare yourself the carrots, they give it a gross overcookedcarrot sweetness, carrots are good for soup bad for broth

Doesn’t making broth stink up your whole house?

t. never buys farmers market carrots

co/ck/sucker here,
bone broth is a slow simmer over a day or more, your best bet is to use a deep stock pot and not anything else, purely because of its the most efficient way to prepare stock. for bone broth you can dump your chicken and beef bones together.
Mise en place (pre-cooking work)
>soak the bones in cold water to leech out some of the blood (assuming its raw bones,skip this step if they're already cooked)
>clean your vegetables and aromatics (carrots, onion, celery, garlic, leek, ginger, dried shittake mushroom, cloves, star anise, etc.)
>dump all the bones with water into the pot, bring it to a boil, then boil for 5 minutes, dump out all the water (this is to get rid all the remaining blood assuming its raw chicken and beef bones)

actually cooking the bone broth
>return the cleaned/pre-cooked bones to the pot with fresh water
>bring it to a rolling boil, then reduce the heat slightly so it's a bubbling boil
>(if you care about having a clean broth, this is where you take out your mesh skimmer to clean out any gunk that float to the surface)
>let it boil simmer until no more gunk is visible on the surface, now add the aromatics and vegetables
>cook now for 4 hours, with you checking every 30 minutes to scoop out anything that breaks down and settles at the bottom (if they burn your stock is going to turn bitter)

to be continued

continued

>top off with clean water if the water level drops too much
>turn the heat WAY down until the broth is barely simmering; maybe 1 or 2 bubbles rising minute or so
>skim off the layer of bone marrow fat that float to the surface
>go to bed or whatever
the "old school asian grandmother" way is to basically leave it on the burner for DAYS while you continuously check the water level and allow the broth to leech nutrients from the bones over a week. to cheat this process when you wake up the next day

>filter the broth through a coffee strainer
>take any remaining bones and non-vegetable/aromatic solids that still retain their shape and put the broth + remaining bone matter and put everything into a crock pot
>leave the crock pot on for basically 4-7 days on low, only adding water to it every now and skimming out anything that collects on the bottom.

boom, you got old fashioned bone broth. congrats.

Sounds fucking delicious, I might just try this.

fuck sakes go to /ck/

>using anything but a slow cooker on low overnight

Enjoy destroying all the nu
trition by overcooking

relax slowboard sammy

It's called chicken stock, you faggot wannabe caveman.

what's the actual point of bone broth? seems like bad science... similar to being advised to eat goat eyes if you want better eyesight.

cite your sources for destruction of nutrients by overcooking

>2019
>Not owning a cheap ass slow cooker
Its like you hate gains

> not eating goat eyes, tongue and dick
NGMI

Is a week old bone even safe to be made into broth?

It's delicious?

>49567887
>sources: dude trust me

hope you froze it...