What's the deal with these shoes?

I keep seeing everybody with these weightlifting shoes. What's the deal with them? Why are they good? Aren't lifting shoes supposed to be flatter than this? why is it good to have a raised heel like that?

Attached: shoe.jpg (600x266, 23K)

Deeper range of motion. Not a crazy amount but it is deeper. Imo just wear a pair of old sneakers or whatevs comfortable to you

Manlet heels

Raising the heel allows you to stay more upright when squatting

Olympic shoes are best served for those who do olympic lifts like the clean and jerk, snatch, high bar squats and such.

Outside of those movements they aren't really necessary. The raised heel helps with ankle mobility so the lifter can squat down into a more comfortable position.

If you're not doing olympic lifts regularly then yes stick with flat shoes like converse, vans, etc. Oly shoes can help you squat lower but you should also do some ankle mobility work, or just throw some 5/10lb plates on the floor and place your heels on them when squatting to get into the bottom hole easier.

the main point of the weightlifting shoe is the hard sole, so no power is lost through compression like with a running shoe

the raised heel allows a little more forward knee movement which is good too

You see a squat is supposed to break the 90° angle in between squat and hips geared powerlifting and powerlifting in general prefer flat shoes because it allows low bar squatting to barely past said angle so it's a good lift aka acceptable for competitions low bar uses more hip draaaaev aka glutes and lower back recruitment than high bar, high bar requires more upperback strength and leg strength due to a more upright torso and deeper (acute) knee-hip angle thus adding a 1.2 inch heel increases the angle without having to modify ankle to knee angle which is the cause of most people not being able to squat to full depth (anterior tibialis weakness or lack of mobility in ankles)
if you're not going to squat highbar it's not worth it I have a pair of oly shoes because I prefer high bar over low bar, feels easier on hips and knees

Meme, I fell for it, now I post here so you don't.

Lifting shoes make you lean forward, putting more pressure on the knee joint, dramatically increases the chances of knee tendonitis

Now that we're speaking about equipment, lifting belts do the same thing, they give you forward lean, thus lifting belt + squat shoes = RIP your lower back and knees in the long run

Squat naturally kids, no equipment, no heeled shoe, best to squat barefoot, this also allows your body to be in the same footed position as you are when deadlifting, and pressing. So yeah, dont do it, dont fuck up your natural bodies mechanics from its natural motions by using this equipment to try aid your lifts

Im saying this as someone who owns a pair of lifting shoes, so I'm not just sour-grapes-fox-poorfag-posting.

Attached: IMG_3925.jpg (816x612, 175K)

The gym jannies kept yelling at me for squatting with my socks. That literal brand was the cheapest I could get.

I should have tossed a dumbbell and dabbed on that faggot janny

the trouble is I only have stability running shoes with big puffy heels and my uni gym keeps getting pissed at me for squatting in my socks. I don't have a pair of converse. I don't do much olympic weightlifting, but I squat 3 times per week. Should I just get some cheap weightlifting shoes?

I think my routine would be classified as "powerlifting", but I do like to squat deep as fuck.

my gym won't let me squat barefoot anymore.
Another thing though, is that I noticed that I actually hurt my ankles less when I squatted in running shoes than I did when I squatted barefoot.

idk, my friend has some and I tried them recently. they helped with some of my form issues that I've been struggling for years but may have introduced other shit.
>couldn't get enough ankle mobility with flat soles to squat with proper form barefoot or weighted
>eventually hurt lower back
>work on ankle mobility with pt for 6 months during recovery, barely made a difference
>got oly shoes, can now achieve proper depth without leaning forward too much
>knees have started hurting a little during squats now, even with light weight (100lbs)
what do Jow Forums?

Attached: 1523473424370.jpg (1280x781, 169K)

if you want to go as deep as Clarence Kennedy/Oly lifters get a pair of romaleos or adipowers, if you want to squat highbar but low as Candito/The Faceless(Sebastian Kot) get Powerlifts 2.0 however soles are not as stiff as oly shoes, if you want the best powerlifting shoe those are either Sabo Goodlifts or Chuck Taylors also don't use deadlift shoes they're just worthless if you're going to go that ridiculous then just deadlift in socks/barefoot

I never had any problems with squats until I introduced squatting shoes.

Some people just can't heal with a raised heel.

nice trips

and yea most commercial and uni gyms dont let people lift in socks. samething happened to me. If you're willing to buy cheap weightlifting shoes I would say to just get some cheap converse or vans.

I got oly shoes at lowest price I could find (in the US) and they were $100+. But some vans or converse are like $30-$40.
You can also squat in some Nike Air Jordans, I use them sometimes and they feel great too.

try different foot positions like toes pointed straight ahead or flared out as well as your stance.

Also try using knee wraps and see if that helps. Sorry about the issues user

idk man i just bought some lifting shoes and they're a game changer imo. i was squatting 350lbs a month ago wearing vans, and i just hit 385lbs tonight wearing Adidas Powerlift 3.1's

The problems from a raised heel develop over-time. I didn't say they wont help you squat, but they help you squat, at the cost of damaging your knees.

I miss this shoe... :( some dyel low life stole this out of my car.

This is a b8 or you don't know how to you use your equipment. For me lifting shoes allow me to be more upright due really short torso and belt gives me a nice stability boost.

they are lifted because scrubs have poor ankle mobility and need an assist. Its also a psyop to get dudes to wears high heels.

i plan on quitting at 4pl8 anyways ;)
>jk

hey look a literal retard.

Attached: 1210663246820.jpg (580x435, 234K)

Helps with quite a few issues I have with squat. However I can't tell if I'm breaking parallel, I can't squat ATG because my lower back kills the deeper I go.

Attached: 1547067265419.png (885x1175, 1.11M)

This is bullshit people.

If you lean more forward then you have a shit form and should work on that.

The point of the belt is so that you can build up core pressure against it for improved core stability. It's useful when you do heavy singles, setting PRs. Or when you you a lot of reps on a specific lift, muscle group and want to decrease the chance of hurting yourself. It's not for everyday lifting.

Squat shoes have a flat and hard sole and tight stable material, so you stand way more stable without your foot moving inside the shoes or kipping.
the raised heel helps with the ankle position, position of the hips when squatting.

this pic is so old and gets me every time haha, poor hormonal awkward bastard

HAhahhahahah

>Sabo Goodlifts
why would you get these if they don't have the heels? Are these just a more expensive version of chuck taylors?

OP here. I am really not seeing a consensus here. Are weightlifting shoes going to make my squat suddenly perfect or make my knees pop out of their sockets??? I wish I could just test out a pair before dropping 100$

maybe I should ask one of those azns at my gym. They're all so flashy looking I bet they wouldn't let me put my stinky feet in them even for a rep or two.

For the 50th time.

They will help your squat, but the cost is it puts more pressure on the knee tendons, which drastically increases the likelihood of developing tendinitis of the knee.

Its as simple as that. The damage doesn't occur instantly, its long term.

Also, its not guaranteed, its just that it DOES increase the chance off it happening, a huge increase.

Just google for yourself "Squat lifting shoes, knee pain"

>Entire thread of gymcels saying romaleos and adipowers are best for oly lifts

Lmao, get out of green man before you start giving advice, please.

OK, my knees are way more important to me than my squat. idgaf how much I squat, but I want to be able to run over mountains and shit 'til I'm 70+. So I guess no lifted heel shoes for me. What about Sabo Goodlifts?

For people with less ankle mobility it helps to squat easier and if you ever tried to put plate under your feet to squat it will be 1 inch thicker then plate. If you have money buy it else just put plain old shoe exception of running shoes with soft heel

6'4 here, allowed me to go much deeper in my squats and im now hitting much higher numbers than before i bought them.

also theyre amazing for my oly lifts.

They're incredible for pretty much all my lifts aside from deadlift (because you don't want a heel for deadlift -- get shoes with a flat base and no heel).

They're great for securing your feet to the ground, which is very beneficial for a good bench press etc.

Where do you think this power is being lost you idiot? Does the heel start to compress as you start to push the weight up? God damn retards...

t. Angry little faggot with shit lifts. Post body/stats and prove me right you shitter.

Cool argument. Post body you twink

Do running shoes make it more difficult for you to walk as well because you're losing all that power every step?
Fucking room temp iq fags, i swear...

lifting barefoot feels very good, heard some people don't have ankle mobility for it though
if you do you should try it, unless your gym forbids it or something

Disagreed. Bought lifting shoes at 140kg 5rm and they've helped me tremendously up to 170kg 5rm.

More pressure on the knee is as a consequence of squatting lower with a weight which was once not going as deep.

You just unironically have shit form and have no idea what you're doing

He is right that compression fucks you up but not due to undesired power loss.
The problem with compressing soles is that it causes a lot of instability when lifting.
Specially whilst squating or ohping stability is paramount and your dumbass new balance shoes are going to fuck that up.
If you actually lifted heavy you would now this. This is why people lift in olys, Chucks, or just barefoot.

I can feel my quads more. I don't have those shoes but I use a plank instead.

Incredibly retarded.
You lean forward cause you have weak glutes and core.
Get stronger.

Can you use these for low bar squats?

i buy 200 dollar pair of do wins from rouge. go to gym
everyone wearing 10 dollar chuck tailors. feel like a fucking fool every time i deadlift at gym.