Honest question

Hey guys, how long should I rest between sets?

Attached: Weights.jpg (600x394, 31K)

2 mins on compounds and 1 min on everything else.

thanks for the answer with no trolling

until your ready

This. Set a timer. You're not progressing if your rests increase too.

only as long as you need to, i dont have a source but studies have found it doesnt meaningfully impact gains to go as soon as youre ready rather than waiting some arbitrary amount of time

according to published science. it doesn't matter at all as long as its within a few hours or w.e the study tested

3 or 4 minutes for compounds, 2 minutes for accessories.

pretty much as long as you want. definitely keep it under 5 minutes tho or muscles will cool down too much

Depends desu. Try a mix of shorter and longer rests to gain both advantages.

I bought a book pn physical exercise from before WW2. You know, before there was an industry on fitness that wanted your money first and foremost.

It's called "Lehrbuch für zweckmäßige Körperbildung im Rahmen neuzeitlicher Leibesübungen" (Textbook for functional body development in the context of modern physical exercise) by Lohmeyer and Krudzki and it's from ~1930.

They recommend a pause of 5-7 minutes between sets.

I try to rest around 1'30" between heavier sets and 45" when I'm going for longer lighter sets.

Additional info: They recommend a huge protein intake of 2-2.5 grams per kilogram of bodyweight and don't distinguish between fats and carbs for energy. In fact, the caloric intake is super high, they recommend taking in 5 times as many carbs and fats as protein, so we are looking at 4k-5k caloric intake per day.

It's pretty interesting, desu.

If you rest 2 minutes between compounds and don't suffer in performance you're either a weakling or you aren't lifting heavy enough for it to matter

RPE 7 and above: 4 to 5 minutes if you're doing 3-6 reps
Maybe a minute less if you're doing shit like rows for hypertrophy

Lel I Rest up to 13 Minutes between heavy compounds.

You realize that nobody had a clue how training or nutrition works in the 1930s right? People thought smoking is healthy until like the 50s or 60s... Even nowadays we basically don't know shit yet, because its almost impossible to get reliable data from "studies" and there is barely any founding to do serious research.
All they had was some anecdotes and guesswork

>You realize that nobody had a clue how training or nutrition works in the 1930s right?
Haha, what?

>People thought smoking is healthy until like the 50s or 60s
Funny you should say that. There's actually a chapter on how bad smoking is for especially if you do sports.

>All they had was some anecdotes and guesswork
Again, what?

Let me guess, you're American.

Real answer.

It takes 3 mins to replenish ATP-PC system to 90%, 5 mins to 99%.

This is the energy pathway you will be using g in heavey 5 rep sets. So 3 to 5 mins rest for best performance. This time is more or less set, you cant improve it.

For higher reps, you transition to the anaerobic glycolisis system. For this you want to actually not rest com0letley, to facilitate further development of the endurance and power output of this sytem.

That's why is recommended usually 90s or so for 8-12 rep isolation and accesories.

>Let me guess, you're American.
wrong
Let me guess you're an imbecile

>wrong
I dunno man, you sound bona-fide American.

>just bought this book
>it must be right because they didn't want money

Attached: 6abcc58b.jpg (640x512, 42K)

Just look at the fucking olympics back then. The champions from back then couldn't even compete on a regional level nowadays.
Yes drugs play a big role in that, but not only that.

Some studies suggest you can improve phosphocreatine replenishment slightly by getting a better VO2max. Otherwise, good post.

2 for hypertrophy
3 or longer for strength

>Just look at the fucking olympics back then. The champions from back then couldn't even compete on a regional level nowadays.
Actually, watch "Are athletes really getting faster, better, stronger?" by David Epstein.

You sure you're not American? Because all this American education bullshit is making me laugh really hard right now.

Soviet science coming through. Make way, prole.

Attached: 1503440557365.jpg (500x500, 57K)

brainlet here, whats the difference between strength and power?

This is seconds by the way

This thread has been refreshing, I always stressed myself to rest for no longer than a minute between sets.

Strength is moving big numbers.
Power is moving big numbers as fast as you can.

I apply this to heavy lifts (anything under 8 reps) but try to go 60-90s for lighter hypertrophy stuff

Also, power is usually different exercises. Strength is the usual Holy Trinity, big compounds type exercises. Power is stuff like power cleans, and other competition type lifts.

Strength is purely how heavy/hard you can lift/push/pull/whatever.

Power is (mathematically) work/time. How much work you've done in how much time. So how much strength can you deliver in as little time as possible