/smg/ Strongman General

/smg/ Strongman General
No sumo deadlifts allowed edition

Attached: husafell-stone.jpg (582x410, 18K)

Recently got a 120kg loglift from floor to overhead

How do you boys program your front loaded carries

I usually hit sandbags or stones once a week to podium. Carrying for distance is Hard but not as frequent in competition so I dont train that unless its gonna be one of the events. Also I make sure to hit front squats twice a week. Its the gym lift with most carryover to this kind of stuff.

How do you guys program presses?

How do you fit strongman movements into normal barbell routines? Like if I'm doing a 4-day upper/lower, when should I work stone to shoulder, for example?

There are some who do yoke at squat day and farmers at deadlift day and press events instead of bench. I however do my gym stuff during the week and then have a strongman day in the weekend meeting up with my strongman group, doing 2-4 events.

What can you do with telephone pole segments besides caber toss?

I should go buy a Husafell Stone lookalike from my local landscape supply store.

You can get it free from a quarry or wherever they are doing some landscaping and they come across good stone

Some people made logs for pressing out of them, otherwise, fingals fingers? Or maybe construct some kind of cool conans wheel?

I really doubt anyone would give away a 400lb granite boulder for free.

Check where they are demolishing a mountain and you can pick any stone you want

I live in Illinois

Lol, well sure theyre landscaping somewhere, filling out the area with rocks and gravel. If you ask you can probably get one of the boulders for free. When I was demolishing the cliffs at my lot I took some of the rocks to the strongman gym

There's plenty of small field stone and concrete slabs around but true stone tends not to be free. Although I did have a few landscaping customers who wanted boulders removed who let me keep them. Light stones though, like 150 lbs.

But $0.20/lb isn't too bad either.

Ive found it to be free more often than not, but I live in Europe

Any predictions for Europes? Can Mateusz Kieliszkowski or anyone beat Thor this year?

probably not. Mateusz is great and definitely on the way up but his static strength isn't at Hafthor's level.

Europe is full of stone. Midwest US is all dirt and the stone is brought in from states away.

Thor is going to run over everyone for at least 3 years but Kieliszkowski will be the guy very soon.

tfw my gym has a trap bar but no room to do trapbar farmer walks

Same here. But speaking of trap bar, anyone use it to simulate log press?

If you get to know the owners and there's space they might let you take it outside for event training. Can't hurt to ask.

How? Ive seen people use swiss bars, Id say you really should get a log tho. Nothing can replace a log clean

You'd have to clean it farther from your body which isn't quite the same as a log but maybe more so than a barbell. The press would be a lot different though but the grip at least is closer.

The thing about cleaning a log is that youre rolling it up your body, and it isnt a swing or a barbell clean.

You can use it off a rack to press if you have the mobility with your head inside it but I'd say it's about as transferable to log as neutral grip dumbbell press

RIP smg

Well, we're a rare breed

Pretty big in the UK but that's uncommon elsewhere I hear

I wouldnt say its big here, but its not hard to find a Strongman gym if youre ready to drive an hour here in Sweden

Icelander here
Bow before me!

So I’m in college right now, strongman is really the only sport I follow and watch but being frugal I can’t really afford or strongman gym (one with atlas stones, yokes, logs) right now and just work out at my university gym which is pretty well equipped, are Squat, Bench, deadlift the best ways to train for strongman if you don’t have access to event specific equipment?

post body and stats

He may win certain events, but judging from last years WSM he has a weak deadlift relative to his competition, doubt he’ll beat Thor in overall points

His pressing has become a real strength if his insta posts are anything to go by. Yeah he's worked on his deadlift but still not good enough to finish top 3 in which he'll need

2pl8 OHP
1.5 year lifting 176lb bw 5'5"

I am the shortest man in Iceland

Attached: 20190212_194711.jpg (720x350, 110K)

I was in Husafell and tried my luck with kviahellan som years ago. Gonna get my revenge sometime.

I'll kick your ass if you come back here. No joke

Larry Wheeeels is gonna win worlds strongest man
Whitoids btfo

No he won't
I have figured out how to turn a barbell into a pipe bomb

Sure you will, manlet

How does he do it, lads?

How can I remain one if the strongest men alive well into my 50's?

Attached: 220px-Mark_Felix.jpg (220x294, 16K)

no wonder you asked us to bow down lmao

He seems to be getting into the sport recently with his visit to Thor, however Mateusz “Nigger killer” Kiewoltski from Poland, is younger, stronger and took 2nd place this past year at the WSM at age 24(25?)

Negroids eternally btfo by the negroids of the white race

Hahahaha

He draws power from his supernatural hands

Attached: 1512070991389.png (600x618, 211K)

Which one are you?

Attached: 1546974780309.jpg (922x692, 80K)

I met Hafþór at the mall once
It was hard to believe that we were both the same species

Attached: 1528550487597.jpg (800x800, 163K)

It must be fucking bonkers to live in a place so small that you just casually run into somebody like that at the mall.

Also, how does anyone in that country NOT go to Hafthor's or ver Magnusson's gyms?

Most people are not strongmen and there are 3 gyms within walking distance of where I live, so there is no shortage. Last year I lived in a village of 466 people and we still had a powerlifting gym

must be nice. Here in the states we have shitty treadmill shacks with one power cage in the corner if you're lucky.

That's pretty similar to my current situation, but I prefer this over a bigger gym 2bh

Mateusz has no deadlift but his pressing power is UNREAL. We'll see, Thor doesnt seem as strong this year on pressing but Thor's never deadlifted this heavy close to a comp before, he's pulling 950+ for doubles in training

I think Thor's strategy is to edge out Shaw on most events so if Kieliszkowski can do well in his specialities he might sneak up on them both.

I'd let mateusz breed my wife desu

If you ain't rooting for based Mateusz at the next Arnolds and WSM you ain't my nigga
dude has insane pressing potential (e.g. Circus dumbbell WR last year and only slightly behind hafthor on push presses at WSM last year despite being 40-50 kg lighter), only needs to fix his DL to become one of the greats

And he's only 25. Once all the fatties are out he's gonna be king

also that. Strongmen usually peak around 30yo, he's gonna be the next big thing. Hafthor might still win this year and possibly next, but after that it's Kurwa time

I'm not going to root for him over my fellow country man

If that pollack wins, I swear I'll bomb a construction site

Just pray to god he doesn’t go the way of Jon Páll, similar build, height and weight, isn’t a comlete mass monster and is still aesthetic

They said the same thing about Hafthor when he was younger and he ended up needing to put on a lot of mass to start winning. I don't think lean and athletic is a winning build for modern WSM. See: Big Z, Shaw.

Kieliszowski is already 150 kg or so this year. ~175 kg should be enough for his 6'5" frame to become part of the big boy crew

All I'm saying is that Hafthor used to be the quick guy but after he put on a 20kg gut he started winning everything.

What sorts of strongman things should I be able to do to justify 25% bodyfat?

I want to train for a boulder carry event at my local Scottish Highland Games. What's the best way to do it?

The rock you carry isn't smooth so I dont necessarily need an atlas stone, just something heavy (and preferably cheaper) that I can lug around. Any ideas?

Attached: 20190209_011251.png (638x450, 423K)

Literally anything. Kegs, sandbags, anything cumbersome and heavy. Go to a building supply store and buy a few bags of gravel. It's cheap and heavy if you strap enough bags together.

just go buy a boulder. You're looking at like $30-40 for a 200-300 lb one.

Thanks to you both

And recommendations on getting a boulder? Are we talking an atlas stone or a literal boulder here?

Man I really appreciate strongman and want to train it at some point but my lifts right now are so punny there's no point, there's also no strongman gym here or a way to get me equipment (I live in an apartment complex and there's absolutely no one involved in strongman in what seems to be the whole country, there's no powerlifting either and OWL is also dying), I'll try to get strong and start doing farmers and get a strong press to honor the true homies...

Attached: 1468249567011.jpg (370x370, 13K)

Find a local quarry or concrete plant, call them up and ask if you can buy a stone, if it’s a natural stone (the event for the Highland games) since it’s not smooth and is literally just a naturally shaped rock pulled out of the ground, not smoothed and perfectly round try and find one of them to train with instead of an atlas stone. Then again, you may also want to get an atlas stone just to practice lifting heavy shit off the ground that isn’t in the shape of a barbell

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I'm in Florida so this might be a bit tricky.

I have easy access to concrete though so I might just buy a stone mold

please be alive when I wake up.

Get a big one and chisel it into a sphereish.

Iceland sounds comfy

KEK

Starting the day with some viper presses before hitting work

Attached: InShot_20190213_080347977.jpg (1920x1920, 2.17M)

How much weight is that?

I did some 80kg viper presses. My strict press is awful compared to my push press.

It was my first time trying the viper press, and Im not sure its useful for me. Since cleaning the log is the easy part for me I think training strict presses and push presses is more useful

Why am I so bad at atlas stones... constantly trying to bicep curl it

I like doing Z-presses for variety

I used to do a lot of seated presses without back support before and it helped my press a whole lot

It's over for manlets

Attached: 1549966746343.png (555x662, 281K)

You need to change grip after you lap the stone. After that you put your arms over the stone instead of around it and try to pull it towards you similar to an upright row making the stone roll up your body while you front squat it up.

I prefer it over the standing OHP because I know there is no cheat involved. I do OHP 2pl8, but I can't convince myself that is my true max before I do a 2pl8 Z-press

I just got out of my basement gym so now I actually have the roof height that I need to do standing presses so I dont actually know my standing OHP. I just trained push presses whenever I had the chance. Best I ever did was a 95kg seated press and 130kg push press.

I have a 95kg z-press and somehow only a 110kg pushpress. Probably because I don't actually train the pushpress and my technique is off

>Weightlifters?
Pussies
>Powerlifters?
Powerbottoms more like!
>Strongmen?
Now THOSE are some proper men

Yeah last year I did push press 2-3 times a week for some months and it gave me a lot. But my strict and push press ratio is a lot different compared to what my other friends are doing.

I do it twice per week with intensity, speed work and volume work. I dream of getting a 120kg strict press some day. Just gotta figure out how to use bands properly when doing westside style dynamic/speed work

I only have access to a regular gym. Is there any utility in loading a barbell on one side like for corner rows, then lifting it from the plates instead of the bar, kind of like a stone?

You can stack plates on top of each other, hug them and lift them like an atlas stone or bear hug carry them

give it to me straight.

What's the highest level of competition one can expect to succeed in as a natty strongman?

Picking up stones in your back yard with your mates

That's all I ever wanted anyway.

Too bad all my mates are dyel D&D nerds.

Im pretty certain my gym buddies are natty like me and theyre aiming for next years national qualifiers. Theyll probably not make it to finals unless real lucky but Id say at least just below national level. I am one step below them, but always chasing them. They pushpress 150, I 130, they deadlift 300, I 250, they farmers walk 170, I 150 etc in kilos.