/fast/ - #384 - STERN TALK EDITION

FAQ
/fast/ discord
>discord.gg/dknZqPb
What is /fast/?
>Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

What’s the difference between intermittent fasting, water fasting, dry fasting, etc.?
>Intermittent fasting: Fasting for a certain amount of time with a short eating window. 16:8 (16 hours fasting, 8 hour eating window) is the bare minimum.
>Water fasting: Fasting with only water.
>Dry fasting: Fasting with no water. Dangerous, use with caution.

Why should I fast?
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11147801
>reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/wiki/studies
>idmprogram.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/
>Read all of these, they might answer some other questions you may want to ask.

How do I safely do an extended fast?
>Take snake juice, or just supplement electrolytes.
>Water=2L
>Potassium chloride =1 tsp (No Salt)
>Sodium chloride = 1/2 tsp (Himalayan Pink Salt)
>Sodium Bicarbonate = 1 tsp (Baking Soda)
>Magnesium Sulphate = 1/2 tsp (Food Grade Epsom Salts)
>Mix these in 2L of water and sip it throughout the day.
>[OPTIONAL] 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar and 4 tbsp lemon juice. DO NOT MIX with snake juice, drink separately.
>You can also do this if you feel lightheaded, weak, dizzy, nauseous, etc., on shorter water fasts. Don’t do this while intermittent farting.

Won’t I go into starvation mode?
>No. You won't have the willpower to fast that low.

Will (something with calories) break my fast?
>Yes, you Hmong.

Can I drink coffee, tea, and diet soda? Or anything with artificial sweeteners?
>You can do whatever the fuck you want. We recommend avoiding those, sweeteners especially.

Do I need a multivitamin?
>No

Prolonged fast Q&A: fast.fandom.com/wiki/FAST_FAQ

previous

Attached: fast384.jpg (744x767, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

insuliniq.com/what-does-it-mean-to-be-fat-adapted/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/
dietdoctor.com/fasting-and-growth-hormone
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21326374
businessinsider.com/angus-barbieri-382-days-without-food-scotsman-fasting-starvation-obesity-2016-10
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First, we're all gonna make it.

should I fast if I just want to cut 7kgs? from 83 to 75.

8 kgs, sorry

assuming I'm 50kg how long to lose 5kg of fat?

I wanna go grab a hamburger and shove chocolate down my throat right now.

I know exactly how this will go. I will resist, resist, resist for a few hours, but when I finally give up I'll "reward" myself for having resisted the temptation for so long and eat like a fucking pig.

I'm not meant to make it. I'll always be a fat useless loser with no self-discipline.

Attached: 1548872248983.png (817x768, 549K)

yes why the fuck not?

how bout don't do it fatty

How many days deep are you. I plan on eating a Mcdonalds bavon quarter pounder meal at the end of day 4, then going right into a 4 day dry fast. Currently at hour 49

71 hours in. Going for 7 days.
Feeling much better than I did yesterday

Attached: Snapchat-46119901.jpg (1052x2280, 642K)

I'm trying to lose fat because I'm a fat fuck. Right now I'm just eating one meal a day (breakfast). would you bros recommend fasting? any tips?

>4 day dry fast
Uhh bud. You shouldn't dry fast fore more then 36 hours

Already lost 7 pds after doing 16:8 for 14 days on 1600 max, doing ok so far. Workouts have improved, can go longer. Last three days, my appetite has dramatically decreased to the point where I barely go over 1,000. Getting much better results than I ever did on keto.

So how are you supposed to preserve gains during a fast?
Continue weight lifting like normal? Or would that just break your muscle down

Attached: ana.jpg (930x1395, 705K)

1. Does it not matter that while fasting you aren't consuming any vitamins or minerals? Do you try and make refeed meals as vitamin rich as possible? Do you at least take a multivitamin?

2. Does fasting *really* spare muscle? I've seen studies about "Protein-Sparing Modified Fasts" which involve eating a few hundred calories a day of basically pure protein, but nothing suggesting that you can eat nothing and still retain muscle. Are there studies on this?

You lose primarily fat during fasts, contrary to popular belief. Just eat some protein on your refeeds and you should be fine.

I'm not a pussy. If I have to drive I snake juice fast, If I can lay on my ass all day, I dry fast

day 3, 212lbs

fasting promotes hgh production which helps preserve muscle while your body produces more mitochondria to deal with all the ketones you're producing
insuliniq.com/what-does-it-mean-to-be-fat-adapted/

you burn protein at a higher rate than normal for a few days until the hgh kicks in.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/
dietdoctor.com/fasting-and-growth-hormone

but with no insulin and autophagy being higher you're probably burning shitty precancerous cells.

not only does fasting preserve muscle through hgh you don't starve yourself and reduce calorie expenditure because your body is producing ketones and adapting a higher mitochondria count to deal with them
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21326374

multivitamins are trash and generally not bioavailable but they won't break a fast.

electrolytes are good for you and recommended by everyone for extended fasts. (snakejuice)

but you can go without the rest for up to a year.
businessinsider.com/angus-barbieri-382-days-without-food-scotsman-fasting-starvation-obesity-2016-10

I'm going to do a 4 day water fast. Do I have to do the snake juice or can I just add salt to my water that I sip throughout the day?

you might get headaches and feel like shit but you probably won't die

Skip breakfast as your only meal and eat around 3pm or so. Drink water throughout the day and reward yourself with a Coke Zero every now and then.

Don't get bored otherwise you'll give up. Go to school, work, take walks, etc... Sitting in front of a computer and watching movies/tv shows only gets you more hungry in my experience. Good luck.

I'm gonna be honest with you.
They are more then likely not going to maintain peak muscle mass that they gained from the gym.
Some of that shit is gone.
Mostl fat, but some of the muscle is going to be catabolized to feed the organs and for needed nutrients.

PSMF is a way to help maintain the muscle when you are fasting, but in my opinion it's torturous as fuck and not only slows down the fasting process but eliminates a lot of the positives.
HOWEVER it will spare a lot of muscle and help get rid of excess poundage.

Yeah, but what if I'm always bored?

>inb4 hurr fuck pussy do drugs

The human world is atrociously boring.

hurr durr watch anime and play pokemon
read a book
watch youtube
listen to jim rohn
write down your life goals

Pathetic. Is this the best you can do? An entire fucking planet and this is it?

yeah

This is why I'm eating ice cream (I'm not right now actually, I'm fasting).

Those are his tastes, don't complain when you ask for specifics that they're not to your fucking taste. Obviously, he's not you. How many years you've been in this planet you're cursing and you've yet to learn what you like?

You're wrong. He dredged up pretty much all there is to do on this demon-infested world:

- Shopping
- Eating
- Fucking
- Dumbass sportsshittery
- Killing things
- Shitty video games
- Shitty movies & TV
- Killing your body with drugs
- Maybe reading until you get fed up with just doing work all the fucking time

This planet full of humans has nothing whatsoever to enjoy because most humans are stupid garbage.

Fasting is like a muscle. I could never get past 48 hours, I literally lurked these threads since the beginning of last summer when grandpa OMAW was still posting. I'm now at 52 hours and fasted last week for 72 hours. Honestly the only hard part about fasting is boredom and shifting myself every time I fart

Attached: 1549744875252.png (900x1200, 1.03M)

Hol' up
so I's been thinkin'

Is it possible to bulk and IF at the same time?
Would there be benefits to that?

Attached: smiles.jpg (680x680, 38K)

if im doing intermittent fasting can i post here? 8 hour window master race

Uh yeah. It's called growing muscle and not being fat.

You'd have to eat more than your TDEE in one sitting

When you add "shitty", "dumbass" or "killing your body" as prefixes to hobbies, it shows you have no intention of convincing anyone you're right. How about giving reasons to what you say, instead of painting with a broad stroke called "me dislikey".
Also, your attitude is fucking annoying, if you don't like this world go kill yourself already. Not liking the world yet living in it is hypocrisy and you're in no place to criticize anything if you're one.

Attached: 1548615458196.jpg (1882x2055, 302K)

ez pz

Not sure about the fart thing, but you're completely right in my experience.

It's possible, of course. But most of the benefits of fasting that aren't related to weight loss are from longer fasts, which you can't do and bulk simultaneously.

bait?

And when you reply to someone with a shitty ugly anime slut, it proves your opinion goes into the trash.

It's funny because you didn't even disagree with anything.

Why bother? Your mind is rock solid. Nobody could change your perfectly average IQ opinion if they had a binder of statistics and electrified nipple clamps.

this
sounds like a massive waster with that impotent rage. cant believe we live amongst such trash on multiple levels

lmao pathetic

Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me someone could possibly change your mind under any circumstances you could dream up.

Projecting much? I tried to talk with you, but from the start you gave up. Giving up before trying makes you more pathetic than a loser. As for "binder of statistics", on what, how much you don't like sports or games? Retarded.

I get it, but when I read shit like that I feel the compulsion to set it straight. Like when you see a spider and want to set it on fire.

You see, I've learned many things in my sentence on this shit site. Non-offending pedophiles should be executed, voting should be illegal, but most of all that stupid people aren't for arguing with because they've made up their idiot minds before they enter a debate. Always. Nothing that is said will ever change a moron's mind. Now go fuck yourself.

>convince me that I can convince you
you're right user, talking to you is a waste of time

That's not me, surrenderfag.

tell us how you really feel, smoothie

ive fasted in gta sa all the time, buy like 10 boxes of pizza and just stopped eating. CJ still looked fucking ripped so it works. 0% bf btw, case close.

Again with projection. You decided you are right and that's enough not to listen to anyone else, and you think everyone else is the same. "Voting should be illegal" got me on how funny a proposition it is, are you 8? It would be one thing to say "democracy should be overhauled or replaced", but "voting should be illegal" is just a childs version of an idea.

never gonna make it in any sense. The boring one is you, you insufferable faggot

embarrassing

>Nothing that is said will ever change a moron's mind
>I've learned many things in my sentence on this shit site

>proceeds to list things they won't change their mind on
DRAMATIC IRONY (because you lack self-awareness)

I want a six pack, but I've lost 30lbs and I still don't have them. My rib cage is really visible though and I'd guess I'm currently 15-18% body fat. Why is losing this last 10lbs so god damn hard. When I was fatter I just jumped into a 7 day snake fast, but now I feel like crap as soon as I start my fast.

what a giant faggot

You don't want to start with a 4 day fast user. The body needs time to adapt and work up to that. 1 of 2 things will happen.
A) You have a job/school and the headaches will get so bad you have stop
B) Your a NEET alone with his thoughts for days who will break down due to boredom.
C)You'll die.

Start with 1 day, too many people try to go Buddah level day 1, have a bad time, then give up.

C won't happen, but the other 2 is exactly correct. I don't think there is anything wrong with trying. You first fast is bound to end in a headache, but it goes away after and you never have it again for the next fasts.

Same issue. It’s cause you are running out of all those reserves. I’m within 15 pounds of my goal and it is getting tough. I was losing about 1-1.5 pounds a day. Now that I have lost 25 pounds weight loss has slowed to 0.5-1 pound a day. Stick with it you will get there. If you need to do shorter fasts. I’m currently doing 2-4 days now depending on how I’m feeling.

C sure could. Four days for a newb? We don't have any idea what genetic shit he could have going on. When I started out, I bought a diabetes blood sugar thing, they're cheep af. Good way to keep an eye on things and make sure you're safe. Jumping into a 4 day fast as a 400lb pre-diabetic could kill him. Probably not, but not worth the risk. Just work up to it.

I highly doubt he'd die before he'd eat. The body just ain't that stupid, even if it's sick. I'm sure if you say he could die from a 4 day fast what you actually mean is more to the point of anybody could die at any time. A 4 day fast, even for a beginner, just ain't that much body stress. The fat is there for a reason. If it was a dry fast maybe.

Why don't you just go to Jow Forums or /sig/ and start calling everyone degenerates?

>living in your head rent free

watches rick and morty once

It has been done. Besides, if he's metabolic syndrome all his signaling pathways will be fucked anyways. Add to the fact a lot of obese people have some sort of low level mood disorder, its possible.

All I'm saying is there's no harm in him taking it slow. People on the chans tend to go through cycles of overdoing shit, giving up, then coming back 6 months later to fail all over again. IF he thinks he has the will to be a faster, he should think he has the will to take it slow. If you're that inpatient, you're probably using the fast as a willpower test born of insecurity and designed to fail.

YOU'RE GOING TO WASTE ALL THOSE FUCKING DAYS JUST TO FEED YOUR WEAK LITTLE BITCH BOY FOOD ADDICTION YOU FAT PIECE OF SHIT. GO AHEAD AND SHOVE IT DOWN, YOU DON'T RESPECT YOURSELF ENOUGH TO SUCCEED ANYWAY.

YOU'RE PAST THE HUMP, ENJOY EASY STREET WHILE IT LASTS.

AND THE PSMF SHILL IS BACK. JESUS CHRIST YOU'RE ONE DISHONEST PIECE OF SHIT, HOW DO YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELF?

THIS.

FUCKING R9K LITTLE BITCHES LIKE AND COMPLAINING ABOUT BEING A PATHETIC PIECES OF SHIT IS SOME TEENY BOPPER BULLSHIT. GROW THE FUCK UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY, NOBODY FUCKING CARES ABOUT YOUR STUPID FUCKING PROBLEMS YOU FUCKING GRADE SCHOOL GOTHS.

MY FIRST FAST WAS 7 DAYS, WITH THE LAST 3 BEING DRY.

BUT TELLING PEOPLE THAT YOU'D DIE FROM A 4 DAY FAST IS A STRAIGHT LIE OR SEVERELY BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION.

>mfw capsbro finally posts

Attached: 1524374103259.jpg (1200x797, 216K)

While I agree with most of what you say, I think that first time you try something out is somewhat special, at least for me. When I go do something out of my comfort zone, I always have way more motivation than I'll have in a month. Of course, by then discipline takes in and I can keep going. But to start you have so much motivation, slowing yourself down just seems like unneeded restraint on a positive change you're trying to implement. The argument "if you have the will to be a faster you should be able to take it slow" seems to me more like "if you think you can win you can take this handicap". Why the handicap? When I tried my first fast, I wanted to go for 5 days, I only lasted 88h because of a headache, which never came back, except when I stopped fasting during a 3 week vacation, when I first started again I got one again. I think it's just the sort of barrier you have to cross through and the sooner you're done with the better. To continue on this, I wager most people doing fasting are around 20-40 healthy males, I just can't see someone like that being as fragile as you think without having any diagnosed condition. People don't just drop dead. Maybe he'll faint or something, but that's as far as I see it going for a 4 day fast.

Why does anyone dry fast?

What is the biological advantage of avoiding water while fasting vs drinking water?

The only thing I can think of is retards assume they are burning more fat because their weight goes down faster, when in reality they are just losing more water weight and it will all come right back as soon as the fast ends.

Attached: bee yourself.gif (914x1091, 30K)

I remember something about gut bacteria or something. But also, apparently when your body breaks down fat some water is released in the process, which maybe means dry fasting increases fat burn? I don't really know.

hey faggots dont be fucking stupid and do judo WHILE fasting you WILL fucking regret i had to break my fast because i almost died

>meme mouse
never gonna make it

why have these threads being so fucking shit now?

As compelling as that anecdotal evidence is, unfortunately I don't think 1 autistic caps spammer is suitable data to conclude its impossible. A lot of lards who start fasting are metabolic syndrome or mood disorder or both. If they've started crossing into the diabetus, have a genetically weak hart, take stims, or have a fucked mood disorder, all those could lead to death. Screech on though.

I've always wondered whether you burn more cals or less going dry. On the one had you lower overall efficiency, and make it harder for your cells to move things around, which could cost more energy ----> burn more cals. On the other, the fact that you can't move things around as effectively could also mean your cells just run at lower revs, and that its harder to convert fat to energy, meaning you burn less.

Snake juice has been fucking me up. I'm on day 9 but I have been drinking 2L a day until day 7. Around day 6 and 7 I was have huge digestive problems. And on day 8 I took a genuine hard shit which I didn't know was possible on fast. Anyway switched to 1L and feel way better. I'm not even completely sedentary but 2L is just too much.

i dont get it
>take shirtless pictures
>see massive tits
>someone else takes a pic
>look almost lean like skinny fat
is my phone retarded or is my brain farting?

Yeah any proper exercise is out, even going up the stairs sucks if you're carrying something. And sauna too, which really is the most annoying part for me since I like to use it several times a week normally.

Only real threat is diabetes because it hits so fast. Any other shit and you can just listen to your body. You can go 10 days on a water fast before you might start suffering from problems. 7 days isn't hard.

Look male, I lost 100 lbs fasting, and I now permanently fast every other day, sometimes 2 or three days. Took myself from pre-metabolic high blood pressure loser to healthy stats and all clear from the doc. For the first 6 months I went through this "prove something to yourself" stage and didn't really lose any weight. There is no reason to do 7 day fasts other than to raise your self esteem. If you need it that bad fine, but if you want to loose weight, and get healthier, that's not the move.

Fasting attracts a lot of fatties who don't have the willpower to diet and exercise and want to go from man tits to qt3.14 gf and lots of friends in 2 months. Reality is though, its takes just as much willpower as dieting and you are not going to go from never fasting to being a willpower deity who can fast a third of their weight away in 2 months just because that's what your BMR says you should be able to do.

Mind you I'm talking explicitly to fatties here, since this is Jow Forums and most people reading this will be fatties, I doubt skinny betas are reading about fasting.

Switch with me. I haven't had a good shit since my first 7 day fast. I know Im backed up.

>IF one big meal and a snack every day for a montj
>feeding window basically 5 hours then eating literally nothing until the next window
>hiking 2 or 3 miles a day
>haven't lost a pound
How the fuck is this even possible? Am I really eating that many calories in 5 hours to maintain when doing all this other shit?

A fatty with the 'tism and some mood disorders leading to self destructive determination, not a rare sight round these parts, whose never processed a ketone body in his life, could easily have his heart give out if he didn't listen to his body. Anorexia is a real thing, people with head issues don't always listen to their bodies. Just keep in mind the retards who may be reading your posts. I agree that there's not much chance in a normal person, but remember people from /b/ and r9k browse here too.

Actually the thing that made me fat was the fact that I would either have to lose 1lb a week at best or sacrifice years of dirty bulking. I wanted to drop 40lbs. Instead of taking 10 months I did one meal week and did it in a month and a half and barely lost muscle.

does anyone train bjj while fasting, I'm currently on day 2 of a undetermined length fast and looking to go tomorrow, what are your experiences?

Your body isn't as fragile as you think. Problems rise in long fast. Not short ones sub 10 days. Your heart isnt going to give out unless you are already about to die and even then they make fat people who need surgery or they'll die fast until that aren't too fat for surgery.
So unless you are currently dying from something other than age, youll be fine.

I don’t have any before pics, but I’ve lost 30lbs of straight fat after starting Keto and intermittent fasting.

Thanks Jow Forums, still working on it but this is an obvious improvement for me, need to buy a new belt and pants now though.

Attached: BE570A7C-922C-46F2-8FE1-745CBEE6FA81.jpg (1537x2050, 455K)

I'm gonna do a liquid diet, is that redpilled?

Tomorrow will be the hard day. Day 1 and 2 your are still using muscle glycogen for energy so you feel fine. But after 48h your body switches to ketones and everything is harder to do.

Extremely bluepilled, just eat food if you are going to eat any calories

or just eat 1000 calories worth of protein and fiber

Good job user

That's at my work. Coworker gave it to me when he left and it beats a $2 Dell mouse

i do and i cross train judo
i train well i used to train bjj and judo every day but know since i have been fasting for a long time i have stopped with judo
i just train bjj like 5 times a week
technique, roll, drills, every day ez pz
you should not have any trouble at all the only notable thing i have seen is that
+agility
-strength
so if you rely on strength you will get tapped
how ever i do not reccomend to do any other sport while fasting

>There is no reason to do 7 day fasts other than to raise your self esteem.

What? Of course there is. It's also absurd you think starting with a long fast means you're not going to be able to fast regularly. Why?

I managed to gain weight on OMAD. Limit your caloric intake or increase your fasting window.

Attached: 1546749093645.png (485x472, 195K)

>dude if i drink coke chocolate milk shakes orange juice lemonade will i be lean?

good luck in bjj pushups is a struggle. you're gonna get tapped boi

Thanks bud I want to lose another 15 lbs.

I do that anyway lol

Look, as someone who studied this quite extensively, I can tell you that's not true. This isn't reddit, I'm not gunna start posting studies or articles, but I've done my part in warning people. I've pushed myself plenty of times. I know my body isn't fragile, but as a medical, that's not true of everybody. I think most people who do fast outside of Jow Forums where things get taken to extremes, would agree that just like running or lifting, its smart to build up to it and not go full tilt 7 days waterfasting. Legit 1 would take less than 2 weeks to build up to a 4 day fast. If you're a fatty (speaking generally)I highly recommend you do it that way and not risk it with the near diabetus you may have until you know, just like I wouldn't advise a fatty to run 5 miles till they've run 1 at least once.