Gym equipment

At what point did you start using a belt?
Does it gimp your development in anyway?

I asked a few guys at my gym, some where using a belt before squatting sub 2pl8 while others didn't start till about above 2pl8.

I'm a novice, current squat is 240lb 3x5. I had failed my last squat session at 245lb, but I was very sleepy going in so I was not surprised. I also fooled around with the abwheel and has a sore core, which I did not expect and it impacted my form. I was told I should consider using a belt for that weight (I go to a commercial gym so people rarely squat heavy) and since the weight is getting heavier, I figured maybe it's about that time I actually invested in a piece of equipment.

Naturally, this would also apply to the other lifts, especially OHP (which is currently at 102.5lb).

Any input about other gym equipment you feel is necessary? Like weight lifting shoes, I avoid them because I feel I should rather work on my own mobility and flexibility as opposed to ignoring it and letting the shoes do the work.
I use hookgrip instead of straps for the deadlift, it hurts like an absolute bitch but it works.
I'm likely to go and buy one tomorrow for Mondays session depending on the answers.

Attached: Belt-Header-2-e1497540088721.jpg (600x335, 45K)

My PT says the belt is going to babby ur ability to naturally brace.

That's what I'm scared of, but many people who use belts say that's horseshit because you still need to consciously brace even with a belt, belt just reinforces it.

I make sure to brace manually on every single lift, even bench.

I squat less than you and I'm considering a belt because of the recurrent stalling.
As long as helps lifting safer (like lifting shoes), should be a nice addition.
If you're concerned about making your life too easy, use it only for your top sets and add assistance core work.

The top set is where your core and back would gain anything from it however.

Also, what should I be looking for in a belt. Recommend a good one?

I have scoliosis and a guy told me that i should get one what are the benefits for me in this case will it help my back to get more centered?

Not more centered, but prevent it from getting any worse. You definitely should be using a belt, at all times, even just to shit.

No belt, no shoes, mixed grip as needed
>365x6 squat and deadlift

fug
I ain't fucking with that mixed grip shit though, hook grip all the painful way.

I have messed my back up doing heavy squats and heavy deadlifts without a belt. I haven't had any back issues since I started using a belt and have made great progress on both squat and DL. Highly recommend.

If I feel like I can hurt myself I'll wear one, otherwise I don't

Attached: 1548290522616.jpg (613x522, 91K)

A belt is just a basic piece of weightlifting equipment that everybody should use, it greatly minimizes your risk of injury short and long term and the assertion that it leads to a weaker core is largely unfounded broscience, not that I’m advocating a belt for every lift but heavy compounds and whatever’s relevant.

I was squatting 4 plates/pulling 5 plates before I started using a belt because of some low back niggles due to shit bracing.

Using a belt doesn't hinder your development, it actually helps core activation and bracing by giving you something to push out against.

I generally only use the belt in my working sets for squats and deadlifts.

Attached: images.jpg (312x312, 13K)

seen research papers stating that using the belt does not cause core to be weaker than lifters who dont use belts.

What equipment would you use for OHP?
A belt would do jack shit unless youre cheating to an insane degree

Most of the research I've done on it led me to go looking for a 10mm thick leather belt, with a single prong, and no taper to the width. Whether you go for a prong or lever type belt I guess is up to you, but the single prong is easier to adjust on the fly and its easier to get on and off than a 2 prong. 10mm seems to give enough support, with the benefits of going thicker seeming negligible. I tried using the thin tapered leather belts that they had around at my gym and they sucked. It seemed like a lot of other people on the internet also dislike tapered belts, but I'm not sure if that is a preference thing.

I have a Stoic 10mm, 4-inch wide (no taper), single prong belt. After a short break in period, I love it.

I injured my back at work when I was 20, it would always end up hurting from time to time doing bending type motions or if I lifted something heavy.
I started lifting when I was in my early 30's and my back would act up from time to time.... I finally went to a doctor and found out I had a herniated disc at the L3-L4 and I probably had it for 15 years without really knowing why it would hurt.

I was hitting 3pl8 squats and 4pl8+ DLs before I used a belt.
currently I put the belt on at 2pl8+ for squats and 3pl8+ for DLs

Take it from an old guy, you dont want to suffer with a bad back just because you were too insecure to take care of yourself or you listened to some retards trying to be macho

currently at 505 squat and 615 dl, never used a belt. seems like cheating. I know it's not really, but idk, also they're uncomfy af

weightlifting shoes are only necessary/useful for front squatting and olympic movements

unless you have stubby manlet fingers, or are lifting world class weight, you should be able to double over hand all of your work sets

>t. shit ohp
[spoiler]I still wouldnt recommend a belt tho[/spoiler]

Seems like using a belt is not a detriment and a good idea, thanks bros.
Thank you very much user
>Take it from an old guy, you dont want to suffer with a bad back just because you were too insecure to take care of yourself or you listened to some retards trying to be macho
You misinterpreted my concern. Nothing about machismo, my concern was if it would not allow you to develop a strong core and lower back by essentially doing the work of those muscles for you. According to these other anons (and what I've also heard and read) that is horseshit so I am leaning much more towards using a belt.
Preventing injury is definitely a bonus.

We never used a belt ever.

It’s a bad idea. My squat sucked shit though. I could squat 300 ATG but I rounded on that. Fucking dumb. Honestly I’m a lot of dudes there’s a collision with femur and tailbone forcing a round. This time around we’ll really have developed flexibility and see where we can get but if I squat before then, slightly below parallel fine.

Depressing. I could bench 300 and deadlift 535. I could really jump at the time with strong hips, but a weak squat really holds back your durability.

Your boy has an averageish thinish frame, narrow ankles and wrists, other than that I was pretty athletic. Idk, man the type of dude that could tear up the gym but not really built for work in the sun.

I digress. Belt a terrible idea. Learn how to actually lift lol.

Why is it a "bad idea". Nothing you said supports that it's a negative.
And if you're lifting heavy, i mean really pushing yourself and not being all cookie cutter about it, you're going to have to face the fact that your core and lower back will be the weakest part of the chain. You can get them stronger, and it will begin to happen again once the weight gets heavier again.
If there is no drawback to using one (assuming your form was already for the most part "proper") and it prevents injury, seems like it's a GOOD idea.

>you should be able to double over hand all of your work sets
if you serious double overhand 615 that's very impressive. I can only hold 405 for a single before I have to mix grip. Do you hook?

>At what point did you start using a belt?

Good rule of thumb is 1.5x bw for deadlift, 1x bw for squats, and .75x bw for OHP. But, really you can do it whenever you feel like you need it.

>Does it gimp your development in anyway?
Not really. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise. They're retards.

oof, I'm well past the point of needing one then for the squat.

Which makes sense, since my 285 x 5 deadlift still felt great (but I had to use hookgrip).

>circumvent your weak point by relying on equipment
yikes

best doh is 555, I use hook for max effort attempts. but all my work sets are 80% or less

those numbers are absurd. yes a person can use a belt whenever they want, but nobody should ever feel like they /need/ one. a belt will not prevent injury. the legitimate reasons as far as I can see are A) ego lifting B) competition and C) bodybuilding so that weak core doesnt impede other muscle growth

465 no belt

Thinking about getting one soon though. But this should prove that you don't "need" one for quite a while

Attached: SQ465PR.webm (270x480, 2.06M)

watching that gut look like it wants to blow out.. yeah I'm gonna get a belt right now.

For starters “cookie cutter” by far best approach. Wasn’t my deal but I left a lot of reps on the table in always trying to push myself

I had a flat back when I deadlifted and as such I got proper benefit out of the lift without a crutch.

In squats also, it is not neccessary. If you need it to squat to a certain depth, you should not squat to that depth. Squatting low is overrated and a lot of lifters are not flexible enough to do so.

Where I would work on flexibility, other dudes would just put on a belt. My approach is better.

nah I'm just fat

no as soon as you have the weight on your shoulders watch your belly start pushing out noticeably

What an ugly shit, holy fuck.

yes that is what happens when you squat a heavy weight

thats why you need to wear a belt

No one looks good wedged under a PR squat.

This isn't about looking good. This is about not herniating a disk. It's ego lifting to go heavy WITHOUT a belt.

Better safe than sorry.

Why would not wearing a belt make you herniate a disk? If you cant lift the weight safely, then dont lift it. Why are you people so retarded.

A belt is useful for anyone with more than 6 months experience lifting, your core actually works more with a belt than without and it will help protect you from injury. The right belt can add 10-20lbs to your squat (and you do that additional work, it just helps put you in the right position and feel less like you’re gonna die).
Lifting shoes put you in a slightly better position mechanically, they’re absolutely necessary for oly lifting but not so much for PL or recreational lifters. If you all your squatting lowbar they might not be worth the price but if you do any high bar or front squatting you definitely want them.
Knee sleeves are essential for anyone who squats regularly, again they don’t do any work for you but they protect against injury and let you lift more weight.
Straps are an overload technique unless you compete in a PL fed that allows them for the deadlift. They have their place in a training program as long as they’re used judiciously; they allow you to get more pulling work in without worrying about your grip failing, but when you use them you have to get your grip work elsewhere otherwise it’ll become the limiting factor.
Don’t be that ‘hurrrr equipment is for pussies’ faggot. Literally all good lifters use a belt.

>It's ego lifting to go heavy WITHOUT a belt.
That's fucking stupid.
On every fucking level.

You wear a belt to lift shit you can't lift. Period.
No one buys the "it's safer" excuse.
It's not.
It's safer in that it allows you to be a shitter with form while lifting more weight then you normally should and that's it.

It's not a depth problem, it's more of a "your core/lower back starts to give out so your form starts to break down" problem.
I think he's just bracing.

for now he is bracing, eventually he blows out his gut. I honestly dont care if he hurts himself one day. At this point I kind of hope he does and a little voice in the back of his head reminds him all the time that user told him so.