My 2 cents for beginners

Because of all the outright retardedness I constantly see posted about what beginners should train like, what you should focus on if you wanna look good, etc, I've decided to make a thread just detailing my thoughts on training when you're just starting out and on general.

Preliminaries:

>why do people take an interest in hitting the gym in general?

This is probably the most important factor to consider when thinking about taking an specific approach to training and its definitely the one thing most people completely disregard when telling beginners what to do.
Ill be clear, when most if not all of us took and interest in the gym is because we wanted to improve our self image; we wanted to get big as fuck, strong as fuck and we wanted to get more pussy. most importantly we wanted to get big as fuck and get more pussy. most retards don't understand this, this is why SS gets recommended so much even tho its a damn strength program that focuses completely on getting you strong and nothing else.

>Exactly how should a beginner/natty train?
specific training template (x3 a week, x4 a week, etc) doesn't really matter as much as what you're doing each time you train and what your progression scheme looks like (and what you eat like). I truly do believe in the extreme importance compound lifts, if you're not doing some squat variation, some deadlift or big pull variation and a press, you wont get big, you simply fucking wont, its that simple. but its also true that if you ONLY do your big compounds you will get strong but you will look like shit and I guarantee this from personal experience.

Training should be BASED on compound lifts and driven further with the use of accessories. just as you wont get big if you don't squat, bench and deadlift you wont get big if you're not doing your curls and lat raises. I cant stress this enough. both things are INCREDIBLY important, don't be a dogmatic retard.

1/2

Attached: op_is_a_fag.jpg (480x360, 35K)

2/3

Now to business:

If you wanna get really big really fast your best option is doing a well programmed PPL routine, a well programmed PPL routine is based on the 2 things I outlined earlier, its for getting bigger and looking better and its based on compounds but should have very tough accessory/pump work. Unironically the reddit beginner PPL is a very good example of this, theres tons of people that have ran it and seen some magnificent results and even 2 gymbros of mine ran it and loved it. The obvious problem with PPL is that is x6 a week and gymceling like that is pretty unmanageable if you have responsibilities (like you should have)

IMO all the other cookiecutter programs being recommended out there work decently well if you take into consideration what I've said and add the critically important accessory/pump work (if you don't know what accessory work to add start by bicep curls and lateral raises 3-4x8-12) except for greyskull LP, idk what is it about it that makes it so bad but literally every person I know that has ran it has gotten weaker and smaller on it somehow, there's also some version floating around from some redditor that had a squat 1rm of like 275 and for some reason it got insanely popular. Don t fucking run greyskull LP. The candito LP is also garbage don't run that shit either.

3/3

Taking into consideration what I outlined in the preliminaries I actually came up with a very simple template based on reverse pyramid training (hitting a move on various rep ranges is genius) what all my bros have ran for incredible results, I havent ran it myself because im far too strong for it. Its ran in the same exact format and progression scheme (on the sets of 5 reps) AxBxAxxBxAxBxx +5lbs as SS :

A:
> Horizontal press (usually flat or incline bench, the first being better for strength and the latter being better for aesthetics) 1x5, 1x6, 1x8
>squat 2x5, 1x5 paused for strength or 1x8 for bigger quads
>vertical pull, weighted chin ups is GOAT 1x5, 1x6, 1x8
>lat raises or any side delt work 2x8, 1x10, 1x12

B:
>vertical press (barbell or dumbbell OHP, whatever you feel the most on your shoulders, seated or standing doesnt fucking matter) 1x5, 1x6, 1x8
>deadlift 1x5, 1x8 romanian
>any curl variation, it literally doesnt matter 2x8, 1x10, 1x12
>weighted dips or really any accessory you want here 1x8, 1x10, 1x12

GPP:
you should do a GPP day for condition work
> 10 mins of jump ropes or any high intensity cardio
> 20 minutes of bodyweight ab work

best of luck

You look a more knowledgeable than most of the cunts in here so ill ask: how should you train when cutting ? Can you just follow a program like in a bulk ?
The answer to stalling is pretty often "eat more" so im a little puzzled as what to do during a cut.

Thanks man.

nice blog, faggot

Attached: git_ooooout.jpg (750x747, 37K)

I'm doing a 3 day full body dumbbell workout from muscle and strength, I substitute some workouts with a barbell if I can (like deadlift).

You think that's fine for a beginner? Then I'd switch to their 4 day then 5 day routines.

Squats, Deadlifts, Bench. If you're hitting some variation of these you're going to make beginner gains. If you're not sure if your routine is effective focus on what muscles are being activated and where you're sore the next day.

I give ya 8/10 for this thread. I think you've got the right idea, but the program suggestion was pretty weak. I got my size gains from a pretty generic compound-centric 4 day PL program (sheiko) and threw in some curls at the very end. I don't like the lack of progression in PPLs, and I definitely don't like the lack of quality upper body volume (bench twice a week? Really?). I agree with most of this, for what it's worth. I think the best program is the hardest one that you didn't make for yourself and can actually stick to and run all the way to the end of it. For me, that was Sheiko and Candito's 6 week

Attached: 6pl8x3242.webm (406x720, 2.57M)

When I cut I generally do less volume work and more strength work

Thanks, obviously a well designed ppl routine has a good progression scheme, thats literally what I said, routine doesnt matter as much as progression scheme.
The program is intended for beginners with little time a week, such was the case for most of my friends whom i made the program for. They had very good results running it.
Sheiko and candito 6 week are good (sheiko might be the most knowledgeable person on strength training in the planetl, but they arent beginner programs bro.

How is this a blog? Are you retarded?
Pure dumbbell is pretty retarded, same as going pure barbell, they both have their very important place in a routine.
Imo if youre a beginner you should focus more on barbell lifts than dumbbell lifts, as theyre more overloadable

Pure barbell is just fine imo. Although there are things that are hard to isolate like doing something like pec flys

I did see what you said about having reasonable progression, but I do think only benching and rowing twice a week leaves something to be desired.
>sheiko doesn't have beginner programs
He does though, both 3- and 4 day programs with fast progression

You almost had me until this post.

When you cut you are supposed to do more volume and less strength training as it is much harder for your CNS to recover on a deficit and much more likely to incur injury.

>20 minutes of bodyweight ab work

Attached: 6.jpg (580x750, 25K)

Ha this is not true at all. Your CNS doesn't much care for calories. That's not what CNS needs for recovery. Microtrauma in the muscles needs calories for hypertrophy.

what's your squat and bench and deadlift frequency on sheiko?
how big are your arms btw?

Summer is comming user

Don't listen to this retard

compound lifts are a meme except pull-ups and OHP

Comp squat twice a week, includes variations
Deadlift one day, only variations second day
Comp bench 3 days, incline on the 4th
I haven't measured arms in a while but they were 17.25" last I looked. Doesn't count for much because I'm not lean

Adults are talking, user

Yo since there are people that actually lift in this thread. I got a q:

I'm getting some hip pain in my left leg from i guess squats/sumo. Doing madcow so 3x squats a week so i don't know if it's the increased frequency w/ heavy weights or what. Really liking the program and the strength gains but i don't know weather to stop squatting for a couple of weeks or just work through it.

>tripfag on an anonymous board
>adult

pick only one

>Doesn't count for much because I'm not lean
> I'm not lean

daily reminder that you take advice by obese subhumans in here

>ITT some fucking retard writes a novel

>TL:DR: WITH A BALANCED DIET, RIGOROUS WORKOUT ROUTINE AND CONSISTENCY YOU TOO WILL ACQUIRE THE BODY OF YOUR DREAMS. (don't forget to foam roll and stretch)

How do I unsub from this shit-tier blog

What's wrong with a noob doing a strength LP for 3-4 months so they aren't doing babbyweight for hypertrophy. For natives, getting stronger is generally the same as getting bigger.

>you must lift for aesthetics
I'm already married with a kid, I don't need to look like I'm ready to go clubbing at any time.

when people see my trip, and others' trips, they know the training history of that people usually.

There's nothing wrong with an LP to get on your feet. 3-4 months lifting is novice, and your actual program for that matters very little. Anything beyond novice means it's worthwhile to pay attention to your programming

Attached: 6PL8_EZ.webm (406x720, 2.8M)

Attached: 1548406213025.jpg (600x400, 57K)

didnt read lol
fuck off with your bs

And that's why people say SS, because a lot of the people asking have are skinnyfats who have never touched a barbell before.

strength training is paramount. that is all

so much cope

CNS just needs time to deload ya? I’ve only ever encountered some real CNS exhaustion towards the end of more intense intermediate lifting programs

>I havent ran it myself because im far too strong for it.
Dude. You can't say something like that without posting your body.

>I truly do believe in the extreme importance compound lifts, if you're not doing some squat variation, some deadlift or big pull variation and a press, you wont get big, you simply fucking wont, its that simple
this just isnt true. it's generally beginners that believe this, but i've been training well over 20 years now and the reality is that practically any approach to lifting can work, with or without squats, dl's etc. it's cumulative work that counts.
i know that that will trigger a lot of people but it's true. you've only got to look at guys who do odd-object lifting to get one example of this among many others. even a diet of just machines will get you there. it's just work that matters.

The one thing I've learned in many years of training is not to listen to anyone who doesn't post their body.

Spot on.

Anyone who claims routine is the number one important thing in getting good results has clearly been lifting for less than 2-3years.

>training over 20 years
This isn't a credential.
There's more to hypertrophy than just microtrauma, compounds trigger a hormonal response because of the (eu) stress

I homegym, right now I dont have access to dbs but is
> bench press
> squat
> deadlift
>OHP
>Dips
>pullups
>barbell curls
>close-grip bench
>barbell row
> rea/side lat raises (with plates/light dbs )
enough?

Yes thats absolutely fine.
BTW keep an eye on facebook marketplace or other sites similar for cheap dumbells.
All the New Years Resolution equipment is getting sold now and its a good time to get a deal.

been refreshing craiglist
how do i use facebook marketplace

Take a couple of days off. This will allow your body time to heal and better prepare itself for when you return to lift heavy. It’s always good to give your body time to catch up every 6-8 weeks