Swimming thread

I've been swimming for about 3 months now and its a highly enjoyable form of cardio. Did 0 to 1650, now doing 2.5k+. I have found it fun to the point of wanting to attend swim meets, but don't feel quite ready yet. I can only do a 50 in 57 seconds while I see other swimmers do a 100 in that same time frame, and I'm wondering how the hell they manage to go so fast, even when I have all the basics down (Head position, high elbow, bilateral breathing). Focusing on a decent crawl is hard enough, with the other strokes I have no idea what I am doing. Any other Jow Forums swimmers got dvice. Also general swimming thread I guess.

Attached: 16x9_8.jpg (1200x675, 498K)

Advice?*

Swimmer here, but training for freediving. I usually do laps underwater, or on my back using just fins (helps build ankle strength, stopped having pains in my Achilles’ tendon after doing this). Can do 50m underwater, 25 m pretty easily.

>20 years old
>don't know how to swim
>scared to go to a swimming class because I'm a fucking adult and don't know how to swim
feels awful

Theyre faster because they spend more time doing dolphin kicks underwater when they push from the wall.

So find an adult swimming class and learn with other who probably feel the same way.

>tfw can't do flip turns
>tfw can't figure out how to properly dolphin kick, feel like I'm just flapping around uselessly

I learnt breast stroke over last christmas and I'm 21. Never too late to learn user, my class was basically failures.
Noone could swim

I had the same problem. You should start learning flip turns regardless. It greatly changes your breathing habits when doing laps ( at least it did for me). I went from doing a mile no problem to barely able to do 5 laps when I started incorporating flip turns. I'm just starting to add in dolphin kicks to the push off.

About wanting to go to meetings but nothing feeling ready...

If you never ever competed in any sport then go for a meeting just to know how it feels and have that first time experience. If you already did this then I personally wouldn't attend, you probably just gonna spend a lot of money for little benefit/enjoyment so it is pointless. When you are ready to attend meetings/competition you won't have to ask.

>how they go so fast
Just buy peds.

Bump

Do I have to lift to git gud at swimming? Right now I swim and then lift M-W-F and run/bike on off days, but I find that after the swim is done I don't have enough energy to make any gains on lifts.

>50 in 57
Holy shit user work on your technique.

27 is considered slow at a high school level

Calisthenics, with a focus on core and legs. HIIT

I swim for college and love being able to eat garbage, swim, and lift and look like a god. You need to get better cardio and learn to sprint OP

You dont have to lift to git gud but lifting is necessary at college level to have good dives and turns. Learn to lift and do cardio all the time. Don't go crazy on the lifting if you dont have the energy, a little lifting goes a long way with swimming.

God i miss my competitive swim days.

Getting sick of swimming back and forth at the bottom of the pool. Need to find someplace deeper to swim.

I didn't know there was a swimming pool in super hell

How long does it take to reach a competitive/college level? Assuming training 3 times a week. Should I just go to a clinic or class?

I quit swimming last year. I started swimming at 10years old, messed around in the pool until 14years old, by that time i have learned all the strokes but was slow at all of them. At 8th grade when i started taking swimming seriously i think my 50free was 40 seconds or something, in one year i dropped the time to 31 seconds, next year i became better in all the strokes, my 50free was around 29 seconds, 50 backstroke 33 seconds, 50fly 32 seconds that year, next year i trained really hard, and my best time were 27.8 50 free 29.9 50 fly 32.2 50back, 1:01 100 free, 1:10 100 backstroke. This year i have quit swimming in order to focus on my studies. The thing i have learned in swimming is to never stop swimmng, for example: when you have to swim 1500 free or long distance something, you do not stop to walk for a few steps and swim again, you start swimming fast and try to maintain that pace. no matter how hard it gets. for working on strenght to swim faster and more explosive i would suggest doing pushups, pullups, and some abs exercises, you will get faster if you do not skip swimming practises. try to start dolphin kicking off the walls, and off the starts too. that was my advice, i have been swimming a lot

swim instructor here, adults come in to learn all the time. Those lessons are always fun to teach go for it man

Just do it my guy, it'll be people who you don't know so who cares if they know you can't swim. You don't want to be 25 or 30 and still not know how to swim, do you?

My last session (Wednesday) I feel I turned a corner. It didn't feel like controlled drowning for once. It was easy, I was faster, I had energy and breath to spare. I think I am going to make it lads.
Also the drills mentioned in the last swimming thread helped a lot with my stroke. Thanks to the user who mentioned them.

You're not going to get to a competitive level in anything if you only train 3 times a week.

How often then? 5? every day?

weird, I do 50 in about 45 and i dont swim that frequently.

Maybe try doing 200-400 meters intense going out every 1min10 secs or something like that

Anyone wanna share workouts?

Also when going for speed, do I focus more on power in my strokes, or just trying to reduce drag as much as possible?

thanks bros
I'm gonna look into swimming classes around me I think and try to give it a shot

national level competitive swimmer for freestyle, breaststroke, and backstroke here

most likely your form and losing speed off of turns and starts
without watching a video of your strokes I cant really give you actual advice on how to improve

besides for butterfly

fuck butterfly

I suspect that I just got too much chub to swim fast. Every swimmer I see is 15% and lower BF.

I was pretty fast in the water.

>23.5 50 free
>2:17.63 200 IM
>1:06 100 breast
>28.33 50 breast
>5:30 500 free

But those days are over. I swim to be good enough for triathlons, not for piddly sprints.