Meme herbs

I'm a horticulturalist who is enjoys growing interesting plants. Once grown I will be doing trials and posting the results here.

>currently growing:
>ashwagandha
>goji berry
>licorice
>mugwort

What are some other Jow Forums related herbs (super foods) that we need definitive proof of validatity?

Attached: Screenshot_20190322-114008_Firefox Beta.jpg (1079x1395, 608K)

plants are poison

nothing good has ever come from plants

Without plants there would be no life

>what is vitamin C

Passionflower (passiflora incarnatia)
Supposed to be a good dream herb like mugwort

A study done on yourself is biased and N=1, you're generating anti-knowledge.

I'm have friends and family participate in a placebo controlled one month trial.

Ashitaba. Though approaching non-meme status

Interesting! I'll do a bit of research on it, though I know from my difficulties acquiring passiflora edulis (which I'm already growing) seeds that it'll be a tricky find.

>thanks for the input

Very interesting! It's suitable for my USDA zone.

The symptoms it treats may be hard to test without a clinical trial as I would need to find people with those specific ailments. The herbs I will be testing all have an acute uplifting "tonic" like effect that should be easy to document with a placebo controlled trial with healthy family and friends.

>never the less I'll probably grow this one for my own curiosity. Thanks for the input!

What are your growing conditions? (Hydro, soil, etc.) If soil, do you maintain the land and confirm there are no pesticides involved?

Have fun.

I do grow my hobby plants like these herbs organically (neem oil for pesticides etc) and I match soil composition to complement the plants individual requirements.

Plants that require more than a year of growth like licorice or sarsaparilla are grown in ground. Plants that are able to be harvested after a single year are grown in pots.

>Without plants there would be no life
The GOE, which happened when plants evolved, caused a mass extinction of existing organisms.

Any before and after blood tests?

The meat you eat lives off plants... unless you survive off onions in which case kys.

What would I be testing for in the blood exactly?

The plants I'm testing have an acute uplifting/energizing "tonic" effect. That is what i'm evaluating.

now that i'm finally moving into my own place i was thinking about starting to grow some herbs in pots by the window. mostly culinary ones (rosemary, sage, basil), but i'd be very interested in medicinal or other interesting ones too. any advice for someone just starting out?

Med-history major here. Done a lot of reading on the subject. There are only a handful of truly proven natural remedies.

1) The plant they used to treat malaria by producing quinine. Still used in some cases.
2) Myrtle and willow bark which have high salicylic acid. Basically was used like aspirin and is how they found aspirin. It’s a shittier version of aspirin. Made Beethoven go deff and if you fuck with it you’ll probably poison yourself. If the world end though, boil willow bark.
3) Obviously antibiotics from penacillium. Not really an herb as a fungus, but you could make it at home though you’d probably end up poisoning yourself. It would take weeks with a natural strain you find in the kitchen to make enough to be useful, but again if it’s the apocalypse and your kid is dying, may be worth it.
4) Citrus fruits for vitamin C to cause abortions back in the day.
5) Poppy and other drug plants for sleep, as well as alch made from plants.
6) St. John’s wort for depression. Effect is insanely mild and basically non existent, but it’s there.
7) Caffine, coca, nicotine and other stimulant plants for energy and killing some bacteria, as well as used in surgery back in the day.
8) Honey as a mild disinfectant.

That’s it. Other than that it’s all bullshit and you’ll likely just damage your liver or kidneys or end up growing tits (lavander oil) if you try and refine it yourself. Even the ones I’ve listed are dangerous. Most of the time you’d need a field of the stuff to get enough of your own to make useful amounts, as well as a still and lots of experience. Wildtype non industrial bread herbs are way to dilute to do anything. Like smoking wildtype canibus vs modern pot.

None of the plants you mentioned will get enough light to thrive by a window... perhaps if it's a southern facing window they could get enough light to live but not thrive. All tropical plants do great indoors because they are adapted to low light conditions brought about by the towering overstory (big lush trees) of tropical environments.

huh, interesting. my parents grew those herbs by windows and they turned out well.

How big a window and was it facing south? Most houses have eves that cut down light to only a few hours a day. If you search plant care for those plants you'll find that those all require full to partial (half day of light) sun exposure.

yeah, it was facing south, come to think of it. i'll make sure that the windows in my new place are south-facing and have enough sun.

This is fucked because I just watched my wiccan gf buy this exact book like 2 days ago. So much of it is hokey but I'm willing to stick with the "medicinal" side and ignore anything that says "Pour this on your window and a righteous man will enter the door".

As a med history major then you should be privy to the long list of toxic plants, they are well known. You'd also be frimilar with medicinal plants with thousands of years of trusted use. Things like aloe vera, tea tree, etc that have been used consistently without adverse reactions.

You saying all plants are toxic is like me saying all contempary pharmaceutical drugs are toxic, which is something I have a very good case to claim.

>SIDE EFFECTS MAY INCLUDE: swelling or other reactions at the injection site. flu-like symptoms such as headache, tiredness, and weakness. chills. fever. trouble sleeping. nausea.

I used that picture because it was something stupid that I figured would stand out. Wiccans are retarded, find a new gf bro.

How do you have control over that? Are you still looking for a place/having one built?

>all organisms have the same right to exist
Fuck off. Evolution is a bitch

Rosemary has a stimulant effect. Make a strong tea out of it - it increases blood flow to the brain. The old saying rosemary to remember is an old saying for a reason.

I have this in my garden now. I'll test it on my wife if I can find compelling data about it.

Thanks for your input.

Bamp

Attached: Screenshot_20190313-111256_Gallery.jpg (1399x787, 1.11M)

>maca
>tongkat ali
>ginseng

Ginseng is very interest. Many people don't know that one of the most sought after ginseng species is native to the US. There is an entire town in Minnesota occupied by the Chinese to farm/forage for native ginseng in order to supply high quality ginseng to the Chinese market.

Ginseng requires shade and a 4-5 year growth period. It can be grown indoors as a houseplant.

In order to grow ginseng I would first have to grow trees to function as an overstory in order to propagate the ginseng. I've put thought into it.

>thanks for the input. I'll look into tongcat ali. Maca doesn't survive in my USDA hardiness zone.

I use Gotu Kola and Tulsi daily. They're really nice herbal tonics.

Do you just eat these plants or how do you use them? Like dry it or take it off and eat it?

free bump
herbs changed my life and my energy. wish i knew about them earlier

That's very cool to hear, as a horticulturalist I just like growing valuable plants but lately I'm getting interested into the medicinal side of herbs, which is the reason for my trials.

What herbs specifically changed your life?

It depends entirely on the plant.

Fantastic! Both Gotu Kola and Tulsi (holy basil) are appropriate for my trials meaning they grows well in my USDA hardiness zone and they have tonic like effects that I can test for with a placebo trial.

I'm ordering seeds for both and I will update Jow Forums as they grow. So if you lurk here often you can see the results on others

>THANK YOU!

Bump with ashwagandha

Attached: Screenshot_20190311-100100_Firefox Beta.jpg (1134x1563, 996K)

>licorice
Clinically proven to lower test, best to stay away from that one

>citrus fruits for vitamin C to cause abortions
Sorry what

Damn, I didn't know that. My wife and I enjoy licorice as a sugar substitute and it helps her on her period... now I know why... I'm already growing it which is why it's on the list but yeah, thanks for that info.

>you get a /thread

Hes not kidding, thats what many eastern cultures did (like Geisha girls in japan or the similar term for dancers in India) whenever they got pregnant

How does one get into growing their own plants? Any good resources? I always wanted to try goji berries but they're expensive.

alfalfa, dandelion leaf, ginger root, milk thistle gotu kola, horsetail, stinging nettle, also berries have helped me a ton too. i wish i didn't avoid them when i was younger, they are truly miracle workers for the glands, recovery, and endurance. there's a book called prescription for herbal healing, a good one. also check out robert morses herbal combinations, well worth the price. godbless friend.

>superfoods
The fact that some people actually fall for this meme

Attached: 1519406554820.jpg (680x695, 39K)