Any benefits to boxers lifting weights?

Any benefits to boxers lifting weights?

Attached: images (41).jpg (444x691, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AxVSh1ttA34
youtube.com/watch?v=jwEmspOT460
youtube.com/watch?v=_af0gUA00ng
youtube.com/watch?v=86kei8y3SlI&t=248s
youtube.com/watch?v=wPIJESPMHpI
youtube.com/watch?v=BqHgvspqYI0&t=316s
youtube.com/watch?v=51uH8nHtuH8
youtube.com/watch?v=uxyLNiV-_X0&t=374s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sure.

None. It's actually a detriment to your boxing ability because your muscles will be tighter and slower.

Boxers need speed and stamina. Do more cardio.

No lifting is for trianglers

Yes. A reasonable bulk allows you to generate more force and absorb more force coming in. But keep it balanced and make sure your conditioning stays on par

hehehe

Less flexibility.

Obviously.

Meme beliefs. Lifting weights is fine depending on how you train.

depends on the person

it can help you take more damage but at the same time could make you slower and stiffer

its like sprinting some sprinters may need to squat others wont

Getting slower only happens if you're deadlifting 200 lbs or more.

Attached: 1553345001203.jpg (400x402, 40K)

yes

this kid's a tard. post boxrec.

Good luck making your muscles bigger without lifting weights.

Good luck punching harder without bigger muscles.

Fights are won with rotational power, would be better doing kettlebell swings than bench press

*breaks the speed limit while being jacked*

nothing personnel kid

Attached: 077_Chris_Weidman_vs_Yoel_Romero.0.0.jpg (1200x800, 98K)

kettlebells arent going to put mass on you

Pic related are considered the GOATs of their division in MMA. One does Olympic lifting and the other does power lifting. Any idiot who thinks lifting weights will make you worse doesn't know how training works.

Attached: jonjones_stpierre_twitter-640x485.jpg (640x485, 39K)

>still believing memes from 100 years ago

is this the dyel squad?

>*takes a boatload of steroids*

I LOOOOOOVE YOU MIKOO, NO FO GAY GEEZY PEEPO

Literally anyone can pull 200lbs. In this glute-obsessed time even normie gym thots can pull 200lbs.

>i base my view of what is muscular on photoshopped, fake natties on instagram and IFBB pros

Who the fuck are you, a Queensbury faggot from 1880?

The sad thing is he lifts more than you and could fuck you up.

Attached: alpha_uprising_.webm (800x450, 2.94M)

That's Jon Jones and Georges St pierre. Literally the two greatest fighters of all time. Check yourself cuck

everybody's on steroids

Attached: big_1474018045_image.jpg (1280x720, 274K)

you're stupid as hell and your trainer is probably old.

Lifting properly will only make you more explosive, athletic, and less prone to injury.

Bodyweight training is far more useful for martial arts than lifting. It's still resistance training but you're manipulating your own body, and you can still add weight/complexity. Ie pullup --> weighted pullup/muscle up.

Bench press for example is a shit lift for actual athleticism. Punching power comes from the hips, abs, and back. All bench press will do is ruin your posture and tighten up your delts and pecs making you less explosive. I've seen it again and again, some bench monkey getting btfo by a more flexible explosive guy

>being so retarded that you think you can only do one or the other
>being so retarded that you think stretching and massaging won't reduce the stiffness
This guy.

*blocks your path*

Attached: maxresdefault-53.jpg (1280x720, 110K)

You're not wrong, but nothing you said goes against what I'm saying except the bodyweight thing.

>It's still resistance training but you're manipulating your own body

That's irrelevant, explain how manipulating your own body makes it any better for a boxer, or even for general strength and conditioning. Also you're right about bench, it's a stupid lift and I rarely train it. I think overhead presses, done strict or with leg drive, are way more useful.

>get stronger
>punch harded
fucking duh. this isnt complicated

this. gus got whooped by jones and he said on jre he barely lifts. if he had a killer mindset and lifted he could beat jones

Gsp does gymastics not oly lifting

I believe Evander Holyfield use to lift weights when he was boxing. Arnold mentioned it in his bodybuilding encyclopedia

Attached: holyfield.png (754x538, 533K)

it's easy to get big when you don't have to train ears

Attached: 1548992992248.png (240x221, 87K)

This wouldn't be nearly as funny without the pepe, kek

depends

That's what roids do. How would someone beat Jones anyways?

what the fuck is wrong with his neck

Strength train to the end of the novice phase, then transition to progressive overload based around explosive movements (as opposed to slow reps) with less emphasis on PRs.

Be prepared to go up a weight class (depending on your desire for power).
Be prepared to lose out somewhere else in your training.
Be prepared to gas out faster.

t. boxer with a 460lb squat PR

Tell that to Lennox Lewis. This """debate""" should have ended at least 30 years ago

Than what about power cleans and the olys

Oh wait, you're retarded

Nigga what?

Attached: 1552250061953.jpg (563x651, 226K)

A 6'3 Askren/ St Pierre
or prime Sonny Liston training in MMA

youtube.com/watch?v=AxVSh1ttA34
youtube.com/watch?v=jwEmspOT460
youtube.com/watch?v=_af0gUA00ng
youtube.com/watch?v=86kei8y3SlI&t=248s
youtube.com/watch?v=wPIJESPMHpI
youtube.com/watch?v=BqHgvspqYI0&t=316s
youtube.com/watch?v=51uH8nHtuH8
youtube.com/watch?v=uxyLNiV-_X0&t=374s

generally mma,muay thai and boxers train 6 days a week, the no lifting is antiquated shit but sometimes some athletes do ignore it and prefer doing bodyweight stuff
if they lift its usually compound or ones that really train your explosiveness like standing military press, hack squat, cheat curls etc

Entirely depends on your weight class. If you're a bantamweight, no. If you're a heavyweight, yes.

>inb4 that russian shit with the guy who never trained fighting in his life getting a full force kick to the head while he wasn't ready

Attached: Dex+vs+strength_db7f04_6425716.jpg (1200x2222, 246K)

I've got an image of you making this comment while scoffing a tube of pringles balanced on your gut.

Good one!

Johnny walker will beat Jon Jones one day just you wait

What high level sprinter doesn't incorporate weightlifting?

This faggot literally cant fight kys lmao

A man with a legitimate respectable opinion on fit, what a surprise. I agree, ohp is far superior to bench for actual upper body athleticism

I never got this picture. If your speed is superior to someone, you are stronger then them no? Because if you are throwing a punch faster, that is a direct result of putting more force behind your fist right?

The thing that normies overemphasize is that lighter bodies require less force to move because they have less momentum. Essentially they think that because of that the 140lb guy can just juke around the 240lb guy all day because he's better at changing direction because of his low weight while his opponent is more or less locked into his motions due to his high weight.

In reality, if that extra weight is backed up by muscle, the 240lb guy can easily overcome the extra momentum tax that it takes for him to move around and change direction and instead use it as a weapon. Sure, the thin guy might still be a bit more evasive because the human body is designed to be efficient while lean and his muscle contractions are probably a bit more efficient even if he has less muscle. However, he's not going to be significantly faster than the big guy, who can turn his momentum into a weapon and have better follow through while the little guy is going to have a lot more trouble putting enough force and follow through behind a blow to actually knock the big guy around.

tl;dr
F=M*V but really you should put more consideration towards P=W/T which is far more significant in determine how much damage a person can do to another person in a fight since you're almost never going to be crushing/pushing someone into submission as much as you are going to be concussing them

when I boxed, we used to train compound movements twice a week, but had at least 15 mins of explosive exercises, with body weight or weights. Especially for shoulders and back muscles.
there were a few weightlifting guys in the gym and they were utter shit, their punches were weak and they couldn't handle technique properly even after years of training. don't think it was because of lifting, they just weren't into the sport.

Wrong. Learn physics.

The equation that actually matters:
Kinetic Energy = (1/2) M*V^2

mass is linear. Velocity is exponential. Velocity is way more important for kinetic energy than mass. Throwing a punch faster with a bit less mass is way superior to being a bit heavier but throwing slower, brainlet. Kinetic energy is literally the defining factor that determines damage, whether you are talking about bullets or fists

shut up dorks

But the bigger mass will absorb the smaller mass way more. If you dont have the strength for penetration at the impact your fist will just bounce right off and the damage will be less severe even if the speed is incredible unless you get the tip of the jaw. Perfect example of the difference in punching power like this is Canelo/Khan.

Stop trying to use high school physics to explain things you don't understand.

Attached: klokov.png (905x485, 313K)