/run/-Running General

Getting back into running again. Thinking of also throwing in some hiking. How many miles are you putting in this week?

Attached: fantastic-running-wallpaper-45473-46696-hd-wallpapers.jpg (1920x1080, 214K)

Other urls found in this thread:

runnersworld.com/uk/training/marathon/a760131/rws-ultimate-marathon-schedule-sub-400/
instructables.com/id/The-Runners-Knot/
youtube.com/watch?v=TWw958BlE4k
youtube.com/watch?v=0kidOBV7yxY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

like 10 lol. im not a runner though

That's really good. I only did 3 miles running and 7 walking. I hated just walking but enjoying being outside is such a good way to relax. That's why I want to try hiking this summer.

Attached: 24mag-Kayaking-slide-SEZO-superJumbo-v2 forest.jpg (2048x1366, 1.03M)

is it though? in a week? My old crush did 10 km in a day. Not miles, but still. She was a runner though

I run 2 miles daily. That's 15 mins before I lift and sometimes I do extra on rest day

I used to to 10km every other day. 10 miles a week is good. Definitely makes mental gains.

I need to get into lifting as well. If I worked out my legs I could probably push the pace a little more.

Attached: leon run.gif (320x320, 1.9M)

Ok I will start running tomorrow for real

I do a mile and a half run on the treadmill before every workout. Gets the juices flowing

Do it faggot

Das it mane

I always feel so much better after a run without a doubt.

I will. The better support I get in my legs the better my runs will be.

Attached: arnold.jpg (900x960, 86K)

Started running 3x5 miles a week instead of 3x3 miles. My last run did something to my knee.

Knee feels bad when going up or down hill (so I guess when it's got pressure on it). Should I rest for a while or am I good to go again once it feels normal in my day to day?

So anyone have any recommendations for warming up before a run? Like do you just do leg stretches? I've been running on a treadmill and usually just walk for a minute before getting into it.

Nah I don't. I don't run large numbers though and get regular (very minor) injuries. Nothing ever to do with muscle strain though.

>tfw all my friends are fat losers who would rather sit around getting drunk and high than go outside
>tfw all the hiking/walking clubs I can find in my area are predominantly people in their 60's
>tfw I end up having to go on walks or hikes by myself most of the time because people in Philly fucking suck

I do a few dynamic stretches but I think the main thing is don't try and go full throttle right away and you'll be alright. Everyone's different though.

Finally the snow and ice has melted so I can run outside. This morning I ran and walked a total of roughly 5km with my dog. Tomorrow I will do the same but with more running.

any real runners on this board? 2km a day is fine and all, but is anyone going more regularly for 10km+?
Im having trouble finding time to go for longer runs... wagecucking is the fucking worst.

No need, really. That is if you are moderately fit. Howevee, I do some hip + leg stretches and do a warm up of 1,5km, if I wanna go full throttle. Helps me feel more dynamic and I feel like regen is better afterwards

Attached: 1530050008703.jpg (464x480, 115K)

How much of a meme is c25k, I want to start running but I'm not a fat fuck and think I could run a decent distance already

I run maybe 7 km a week, that's about 600 - 700kcal burnt possibly more due to recovery.

Imo running is a one to one counter against depression.

Attached: ef41dcdc0525943e6430d45148943c35.jpg (488x733, 71K)

Do it

Couch to 5k is good because it calibrates your progress. You improve faster. Besides if you do a c25k run and still feel like you can do more you can always keep running, that way you clock more miles, that's what I do anyway. Plus it's nice seeing the achievement.

Attached: images (5).jpg (450x281, 23K)

ama

It really is. Been running for years now and the first couple miles are always hard when my mind keeps telling me to stop when I'm not even tired.

Always relax my breathing in/out 2 seconds then go on cruise control after that.

Attached: stretch.gif (294x368, 2.94M)

Ran 9 miles today. Feels great but kept getting angry at tourists in my way.

Ive been doing just over 2 miles mon - thurs and just over 4 miles on fridays so racking up over 12 miles a week atm. Only started again three weeks ago so hoping for the total to go up over time. I'm pretty much cruising at a 7:30 min mile pace already. Usually pump it up to a 6 min for the last 2-3 mins.

Attached: giphy[1].gif (318x224, 2.7M)

>Coach scheduled 2 meets in the last 3 days
>Signed up for 3200m 800m 1600m and 4x400m relay
>Set a PR in the 3200 and a SR in the 1600 on Thursday
>Set new PRs in 3200 and 1600 on Saturday
>The 1600 on Saturday is the first race this year that I actually feel proud of
I'm finally starting to make some progress again and it feels great. Anyone else compete in any races recently?

lately only 25-30km per week.
but with no access to a gym I've done up to 85km in a single week.

20k today. Recovery week on marathon plan.
29k planned for next sunday

Enjoyed running in the past, but kept getting shin splints. How to avoid?

Attached: DD26DB64-8C74-4DA5-87CE-6CCD33AB2FA6.gif (425x425, 2M)

I do a 13km run every week, sometimes 15km in the summer when the wooden trail is ready. Somehow doing it Friday night helps.

i decided to do the same thing last week.
getting a new mp3 player with built in pedometer just for running.
gotta plan a good 2 mile loop around my house and try to stay off the more dangerous roads.

i ran long distance back in high school on the cross country team and absolutely loved it.
when i got out of school for some reason i just stopped running because i worked all the time.
well, my crypto bux paid off and i got bots making passive income for me but im fat now.
gotta lose at least 100 lbs to get back down to me normal weight at 6'1"
i know thats mad pathetic that i let myself go too far but shit im really good at my job all im sayin

wish me luck bois i'll report back around this time next year of the long journey to drop those lbs and get back in top long distance running condition.

C25K is good to ease in to running if you haven’t really done it before. Yeah sure you could probably out the gate run a decent distance, but you’re much more likely to fuck yourself.

ATM running approx 37ish km a week, want to bring that up significantly in the near future.

Not sure if I want to start introducing hill runs or speed work. Finally got a new PB of 20:38 for 5km last week and it felt good so tempted to start doing 1km intervals to get under 20 minutes.

Trail running is the best

Replace knee ASAP.

T. Doctor

Alrighty /run/ners. Is there a "correct" form/technique when running? Trying to get my gf into it and would like to make sure she's doing it safely and efficiently

I did a 10k last summer. This summer I will do a half marathon and next summer a full marathon. I'm also lifting and doing jiu jitsu.

Any advice on what helped you guys for the longer distance runs? I really would appreciate some advice specifically in the department of what to do for water.

Also tips for improving technique? I've been trying to isolate my knees/ankles and just move at the hips in my stride so I dont fuck over my stride.

What is a "good" time for a 10k? I want to know where I stand compared to how good I should be.

long time Jow Forums shitposter here, was bulking and squatting forever. 5'8 PROUD MANLET 220 lbs thunder thigh squatlord.
Switched from lifting to running last year after realizing how much better it feels and that I've pretty much hit the natty limit and have no interest in being a bloatlord forever. Running my second 30k race this week, training for a marathon in April.
Put in your regular runs, every morning is good, and most importantly do long runs once a week, the longest you can manage. Nothing counts as cheating as long as you keep running and most stimulants and supps you would take for lifting are good for running too.
Make sure you have GOOD running shoes.

I have been converted from powerfatting to long distance running and I can tell everyone is looking at me at races because I'm the most jacked fatfucking runner they've ever seen.

I'm starting week 6
runnersworld.com/uk/training/marathon/a760131/rws-ultimate-marathon-schedule-sub-400/
my shin splints are killing me
I'm not sure of reaching next Sunday

Attached: 1532112838978.jpg (600x600, 143K)

Did 3 miles today in a 24-25min but i havent ran in a few months. Im fat and slow now, its disgusting.

>Any advice on what helped you guys for the longer distance runs?
P A C E Y O U R S E L F

>I really would appreciate some advice specifically in the department of what to do for water.
There are gay little mini bottle holders you can run with, or you can drive out ahead of time and drop bottles for yourself along your route if it's seriously long, especially if it's in the country. If your run is under 20k just be less gay.

>I've been trying to isolate my knees/ankles and just move at the hips in my stride so I dont fuck over my stride.
What the fuck are you talking about just watch youtube videos and figure it out it's not rocket science

>What is a "good" time for a 10k
45 min is good for a casual

Doing about 12 miles a week + lifting. Noticing that running is really contributing to my aesthetics

Thanks

I was meaning that I'm preventing overstride by trying to maintain the general angle below the knee in my feet.

Anyone else get that feeling of being tired in the first mile? Like my body tells me to stop and give up but I’ve ran significantly farther before

focus and relax your breathing. That's usually happens the first couple of miles.

Attached: cell.jpg (460x345, 22K)

13...I do 3 quick 2.2 mile run in the mornings after lifts, then 10k on Saturdays. I'm slow as dirt (10 min miles) but it's ba great pick me up

Yeah, you just gotta power through it and maintain a steady pace. Once you get past the first mile and a half you should be good.

I love running but i think I've got a stress fracture in my lower right leg as there is a pain in only one spot. temporarily doing lung training with swimming

Attached: RWZ9M.png (200x200, 20K)

I keep getting calluses on my right foot only when I run, any ideas as to why? I'm wearing shoes from the same pair and each on the correct foot, before you ask.

Attached: what doth flex.png (1586x778, 2.24M)

are your shoes tight? might be grinding your feet if they are too loose. if they are too loose and you dont want to spend money on new shoes, then wear two layers of socks.

Attached: Loose.png (301x538, 207K)

I've been doing 3 miles a day for the past month or so. I do two miles together, then rest a bit and try to match or better the first mile time. I've been doing 2-3 times a week since I'm also lifting with a rest day every 3 days. I was thinking about doing a 5k but I want to get my times way down. I spent all winter drinking a lot of beer and have like 15 pounds too many on me right now.

I don't warm up. I just start jogging at a moderate pace. About a minute in I pick it up a bit, then do short sprints every 50 seconds, for 10 seconds. The real strain is on my knees. I've been doing this shit on and off for like 12 years, no injuries ever.

I'll try to pay more attention to it, but it seems weird they'd only be tight on one foot. I'll probably just double sock it and see if that helps, thanks.

Also use a runner's knot to keep the heel from sliding around and keep the shoe more stable.
instructables.com/id/The-Runners-Knot/

Attached: ryu.jpg (350x350, 69K)

I can run 4 km in 20 mund and 50 secs. My height is 188 cm and 115 kilos. Is This Any good ore do i need to lose more muscle mass ?

Attached: 1548865549280.jpg (480x782, 255K)

Snows melting so I'm gonna join the runner crowd. Need new shoes though, give me a recommendation or two if you would.

>is it swollen?
>can you identify an ouchy spot right at the bones by applying pressure with your fingers?
if both no, likely not a stress fracture.

no, yes. I asked my doctor friend and he said that it doesnt seem to be a stress fracture, likely a pulled muscle of some sort.

I'm still rather paranoid since I still want to grow so much more in running. It would be terrible to have my journey end before it begins

Attached: maxresdefauslt.jpg (1280x720, 84K)

Thanks friend. Does anyone have a good resource on all the different ways to tie your shoes and _what purpose_ each one serves? All I can find is shit like "23 cool ways to tie your shoes"

Attached: shoe.jpg (2592x1936, 903K)

did you seriously put your shoes on a bedsheet?
youtube.com/watch?v=TWw958BlE4k

Thanks again. They're not my shoes by the way, you can relax. Not my bedsheet either, for that matter.

>I really would appreciate some advice specifically in the department of what to do for water.

If those longer runs (half amd full marathon) is a running event and not some lonesome personal run then there are usually tables along the route with volunteers handing out water/gels etc.

For all you morning runners, what do you have before? Small breakfast? Glass of water? Or nothing, and you eat after?

Gonna try and go for my first run tomorrow anons

>what do you have before?

Usually nothing, but I find if you must eat something keep it light and avoid running so soon after eating. A few sips of water is good to moisten the mouth and make breathing a bit easier if its a bit dry after waking.

Thanks, the dryness was a problem for me. I would sweat and get all salty plus my mouth and lips were still dry after sleeping leading me to feel like a goddamn mummy before work. No more fasted running.

check out your local uni/college for clubs

like the other user, nothing. better not give yourself stitches for fun.

nice. what distance are you running?

Attached: whoops.jpg (4256x2394, 953K)

youtube.com/watch?v=0kidOBV7yxY
Can anyone tell me how this is possible without him getting his knees, feet, and shins fucked up? I think he religiously ices his knees, obviously works on his legs a fuck ton, and stretches.

Run with good form.

Yep. I'm not a coach though so find a reputable channel. Basics are land with your shin perpendicular to the ground. Up your cadence to ~175 or higher if you can to ensure you don't overstride. Run upright.

He runs with good form. Don't fall for the meme that running is bad for your joints. Deadlifting is good for your right? But if you do it the wrong way it can hurt you. Same with running.

I alwas do 10 steps on toes, then 10 steps on heels, repeat 3-5 times. That reduced shin splints greatly.
Also, your calves are probably too tight.

another year another attempt to get back into running shape I used to be in. I feel like shit running so slow now and getting tired when I used to do 6 miles daily. I also lean back real hard running now and strain my back, heard it might be cause my abs are weak

Attached: tfw.png (442x542, 305K)

50km every week, 5x10 at 4:40 pace

Attached: 1552390726436s.jpg (223x226, 6K)

nothing. maybe a tiny sip of water and off we go.

Had to start running like a fucking maniac after a nuclear break-up. I just couldnt stop walking/running, even if my hips were going to snap. It sucked.

Feel/look great now. Got meself to about 12 run miles a week. I associate running with feeling better, so now i just have to.

variety, bro. Dont fall for the perpetual repetition gains. There are few to non. If you are nor alrdy alternating your tours (profile, ground, length, intensity), do it to step up your game.

I ran 8-12km every second day for years (10km bp 39min), but then totally fucked up muscles and joints by stepping up my game to longer runs. Also found out I had no ability for longer runs or under tougher conditions (stoney and muddy forest paths f.e.).

Ever since I varied length, speed, profile, undergrounds etc. Am cool with sprints aswell as marathons now. Improved bps and feel great.

tl;dr: Variety is key.
T. 30yo Boomer

Marathon worth last week. I just started running 2 sundays ago. It's so addicting

Static stretches like the touches for 30-60 seconds are actually very bad for you and increase risk of injury pre workout. They are fine post workout.

I started it 2 weeks ago and just ran 1.8mi yesterday in total. I've never been a runner/enjoyed running and I'd say at this point I'm addicted to it.

t. 6'3" 270lbs, 275 bench 495 dl fwiw

>Look at body in mirror
>Ashamed at how flabby and unattractive I've gotten
>Haven't run for 2 months
>Go out and run 14 fucking miles out of shame
>Everything hurts
14mix5 for max self-hatred gainz bois

>shin splints within 1-2 miles every single time

Anons please. I've tried all the exercises, calf stretches, massages etc. And I'm sure my form's not bad. Also tried different shoes and had them "analyse my gait" at a store. Is there something stupidly obvious I'm missing? Not even fat btw

Attached: wpid-2014-10-24-13-48-47.png (1058x748, 1.01M)

heel, mid- or frontfoot?
Pace?

Guys, what's a good afternoon snack to eat before going for my run?

Midfoot, forefoot felt awkward to me and I couldn't run on my heels if I tried

I've been running every other day. What I do is keep my heart rate between 140-150 and set a specific time to run. For instance, yesterday I did 70 minutes. It is hot where I lift, so often in order to keep it in that range I have to walk at times. Will I see progress doing this method of heart rate training?

how much trouble will I get in running on train tracks (next to them) in the US, from "slap on the wrist" to "40 years hard time" ? Can I get cited?

I have absolutely no excuse with all the "no trespassing" signs everywhere, but honestly the only people who can see me are the conductors and I'm 30 feet from them when they go by. I feel 2000% safer than I do compared to the road with about 10 cars passing per minute.

You will be fine, have fun

What kind of music do you listen for running, anons?

yeezus

Are "minimalist" zero-drop shoes a meme? Any point in running in them?

Attached: Screenshot 2019-03-25 at 15.51.34.png (688x292, 298K)

80s pop

Also my pace is like 10-11 min/mi, i forgot to say. I could probably go faster but I try to go slow to concentrate on form

I keep getting pain in my right foot and it’s really annoying. I can’t recall doing anything weird to injure my foot but I get a sharp pain near the ankle when I run or put my weight on the leg.

that is slow as fuck. Try going faster for a change. Sometimes there is an awkward momentum of autism when you run too slow.
You could try to run 400m at 80% or 90% pace. Point is, you need to set this to a pace that doesnt let you control and review your own form qhile you are running. Just to see how that changes your form.

Like I said, from my experience there is some pace frame that lets you run comfortably (form wise), and there is too fast (makes you feel like your legs are spaghettis) and too slow (gives you time to overthink each step and maked you move in weird ways). I had splints when I ran 7min/km with one of my slower buddies, but feel good going 4:30.

Thanks man, that's interesting. I guess I'm probably taking the "take it slow" advice you see everywhere a bit far, I'll definitely try some faster sections on my next run

yes. But variety is good in terms of heart rate, too imo. See above. Also heart rate measures depend on age - not by a huge margin, but you get the idea.

How come you focus on that particular bps zone?

most places I've read say that is a good bpm range for my age if I want to train aerobic base. I'm not training for anything specific right now, but want to burn calories and reap the rewards of running without affecting my strength training progress.

Are good if you have well developed foot and calves muscles and want to go fast (forefoot). Shoes of that kind are often used as a kicker/joker second pair for training runs every now and then. Also Lighter versions are for competitive running.

Usual distinction is trainer (=comfy, less direct, bit of a drop) vs competition shoes (=fast, uncomfy, minimal to no drop). Average Joe would go trainer. Pro would go comp. Everything in between should take comp shoes as a joker or for faster, shorter runs.

I eat some plain greek yogurt with a piece of fruit or 2 cut up into it. If that's too boring toss a little granola in there or use cottage cheese which has a little more flavor

dont think its bad or anything, but Ive seen what a huge difference intervalls or hills make in training. I like it and it makes me faster.

I go as high as 185bpm in competitive runs, so I want to test and push that limit in training sessions every now and then, too. Not saying that is healthy, however.

How do you measure your bpm? Anything less than a sensorband around the chest is bullshit imo.

checked. I usually just use my fitbit. I know it is imperfect, but it is what I have. For what it is worth it does match up with all of the bmp measurements on fancy cardio equipment at the gym. My main concern is keeping my runs at a conversational pace. I find that even if it is not perfect, it helps me refrain from pushing too hard when that isn't my goal.

I've done intervals and such in the past. I do them to prep for my 2 mile apft runs that happen once a year (I'm a national guard fag). For now though, I've found that just going out for a specific amount of time at a specific heart rate has been working really well and easy to stick to while strength training.