Why is this so hard to read? I read books in my free time and am about to finish a phd...

Why is this so hard to read? I read books in my free time and am about to finish a phd, but I can’t even visualize the movements/exercises described in the book.

Is it because I have never done any kind of lifting before and don’t know enough of the terminology and basic knowledge, or is this poorly written?

Attached: image.jpg (900x900, 559K)

>Is it because I have never done any kind of lifting before and don’t know enough of the terminology and basic knowledge
this

It seems you suffering from autism, pls consult a professional.

Attached: E035B0D0-34F5-46B9-8E9A-38F140D82EB2.jpg (1235x1318, 198K)

I don’t have autism :(

you gotta try the movements out as you read

like use a broom stick as the barbell just so you can feel how it is

theres muscles you aren't aware of cause you havent learned to control them exclusively

after a couple days of trying to move them while in the proper form using the broom stick you will learn to control them individually

and then visualizing will be a lot easier cause your brain can associate a lot better :)

This. I read the book and would practice each step with a makeshift bar in order to really get it.

Youtube the exercise

Look up basic anatomy and kinesiology terms.

>Why is this so hard to read?
Because it was written by a 60 year old uneducated fat hick

Most basic or intro programs aren't really that. They are written by people that dont really remember what a true novice thinks.

SS is written like a textbook. Like it would be a reference for a high school gym coach with a degree. Or a teen football coach.

My advice is to skip to the end and read the programming chapter. Then look on YouTube and watch people do the lifts. Then go do them. Come back and read the chapters and watch more videos on form when you get bored of reading.

This is what in doing because the book is 300 pages or more and that is a pain when you want to lift today. Not later. Today.

Loop

For anyone that has read this whole book, where does dipshit hide the method to use for determining start weight?

So a lot of these are 5 reps. Well I just do shit to failure. So about 8 reps. When I get back to 11 reps, I add 5 lbs to the bar, usually putting me back at 8.

Ole tiptoes is saying to do 5 reps? And that I should be adding 5 pounds everyday?

its heavy with jargon. watching some of the videos helps visualize the points rippetoe is trying to convey.

Attached: RipDL.webm (540x360, 2.9M)

>read the whole book
>doesnt realise that the sets aren't amrap.
>doesnt realise just to do add 5lb each session
whaddafug

The book has a fuckton of illustrations, you're just a brainlet. The only confusing concept is the elastic motion of the final stage of the OHP, and that's easily demonstrated on video.
>durr I read alot and have muh pHD
Cope as fuck

Literally the last chapter, about programming and deciding starting weights.

>the elastic motion of the final stage of the OHP
Which makes it a push-press

>that is a pain when you want to lift today. Not later. Today.

This is pretty good advice. Don’t wait until you finish the book to do the lifts. You can lift while reading it. Like this poster said, just go on youtube and learn the basic form. You will eventually learn the complexities

The little 'pop' to the motion is greatly exaggerated in the book, probably to keep new lifters from tearing up their shoulders doing it wrong.

To determine starting weight, start with the empty bar and keep adding weight until the bar speed slows down. You can’t deadlift with an empty bar, so either use light bumpers or small plates + blocks to get it to the right height for the first few sets.

One set is 5 reps. Add weight after each successful workout; off the top of my head, Rip recommends 10lb increments for upper body and 20lb increments for lower body for the first month or so, dropping down to 5lb upper and 10lb lower once things start to settle.

tl;dr read the book ya dingus

>You can’t deadlift with an empty bar, so either use light bumpers or small plates + blocks to get it to the right height for the first few sets.
Pretty sure the book says this is only the case for the elderly or very young; typical weightlifters start at 135 (or 80 if they really need the help) and shouldn't deadlift at all before they can do that minimum because muscular imbalance can lead to them hurting themselves.

Even if you start at 135, you'll want those bumper plates for the warm-up reps, at least until you're strong enough that 135 is your lightest warm-up.

>start reading Starting Strength
>beginning chapters have basic biomechanics and basic physics concepts such as Force and Work, some trigonometry even
>mfw he starts taking the Lagrangian of shit halfway through the book
>knowledge of Lagrangian mechanics was too weak to continue reading
This is a pretty tough read and I never see this talked about. I first tried reading it in high school and my basic physics knowledge couldn't carry me through the entire book. I'm currently a mechanical engineering junior, however, so maybe I should try to finish this book again.

That's why I wonder if the book is in the sticky as a joke. Half of fit is 14 year olds trying to get hot for their first crush. How many of them are going to be able to read this book, all 300 something pages, with all the random technical shit, then do this program? Better yet, they will end up pudgy looking from the gomad. It's like it's just their to make noobs fail.

that looks really rounded upper back...

This just seems stupid though. Who has time for this? You're essentially saying a noob should walk in and just fuck around until they find a weight that they can only 5 rep?

>I'll try 80, nope, I can 15 rep that
>I'll try 90, nope, 13 reps there
>i'll try 100, fuck, 8 reps there.

You're tired by the time you find a 5 rep weight, so who knows if that's really it. It could take you a week or more just to find your true starting point.

And is it 5 reps to failure? 70% of failure? So like 8 or 9 is failure so you just stop short at 5?

And are people really adding 10 and 5 lbs everytime? That doesnt seem safe. If I'm squatting 5 reps max today how is it good for back to just add 5 or 10 lbs in 2 days?

Does this book have a glossary or faq?

From the forum

"Do fives until the bar noticeably slows down on your last rep. Then do two more sets of 5 at that weight. Comeback in 48 hours and work up to a 3x5 +10lb of your previous workout. This is not rocket science. It may be ideal to find a Starting Strength Coach to help you at this juncture."

This juncture...

Joe do you mean the very first day of lifting using your book?

Watch the videos (art of manliness or the official ones) and do the lifts.

Then go back and read the book if you have problems or questions.