Weightlifting belts

someone just sold me pic related for 20$. I've never used a weightlifting belt before but I figured it was a good deal. Why do people use these? Should I just be using it for my 80%+ 1rm squats, or should I be using it for my 5x5s as well?

Attached: belt.jpg (425x283, 18K)

Who knows man. I've had one for years and I still don't know how to use it properly.

Use it for almost any % except for like straight up bar work.

A belt doesn't hold your trunk in place while your abs become weaker. For a belt to work you have to push against it with your abs.

ah ok I always figured it would make my abs weaker

You got a good deal if it looks like your pic usually those belts go for $50

dope, I'm glad.

Do you know what brand it is? Using a belt is a big of a skill. You can't just slap it on and squat 40lbs more, but once you get used to it you may very well have that big of or more of a difference between your belted and beltless squats.

Ask him what brand it is. If that's an Inzer belt, that's a massive steal, they usually go for 100. Belts are cool, just make sure you're not a beginner and you know how to use one.

Strength Shop belts are objectively the best belts

What would be a budget belt for somebody with 2 years lifting experience that i can get from amazon? I scored a 50 bucks gift card.

I just bought the Dark Iron belt from Amazon and it's pretty good!

I’ve read different stuff and been told different stuff. It is an external aid, and it obviously makes your core more stable when you brace against it. I think it’s worth knowing how to use, but it’s important to train without it sometimes as well. Even at heavier weights.

Eddie hall attributes an enormous amount of his core strength to training all year without a belt, and only getting used to it a month or so before a big competition. He claims that’s what gave him better stability than his competition in the Austrian oak.

RDX lever belts are good for the price.

A belt is only used to brace against when you take a deep breath into your core. They don't diminish strength gains in that area.

If anything its more of a workout for your abs to be constantly under resistance, than not wearing a belt and them just being at their maximum stretch.

Weigh belts are gimics and end up becoming a crunch and lead to weaker cores athlean x made a great video about it

Crutch* not chrunch

Don't just jump into using it at 80%+ weights. Spend two weeks or more wearing it for any weight that isn't just the bar (For all the big 4 barbell movements. Yes, even bench) learn how to brace against it in a way that gives you the most stability. Also, learn different ways to wear it (example, I wear my belt one notch looser for squat, otherwise it feels like someone is trying to do a Heimlich on me at the bottom of the squat.) Once you are used to it, program "belt" and "no belt" lifts into your workouts. You will be able to lift more with the belt once you're used to it, and by doing slightly lighter weights without it you'll prevent it from becoming a crutch/necessity.

You are objectively wrong, strength shop belts are the lowest quality lever belts

90% of people who use belts would be better off learning how to brace properly

Absolute nonsense.

Not necessarily,

They might be fake leather, but there probably the best value belts that are actually IPF approved.

Used one in my last meet. Worked fine

This. Meme bels are a great way to weaken your acessory muscles and promote injuries with weights you can't handle.

I use it on the squat, overhead press and deadlifts. When i feel good i postpone using it to the last warmup set (i don't want my working sets to feel different then a warmup, equipment wise). And when i feel fatigued i use it whenever the lift starts feeling heavy.

Besides actually helping you brace harder, it can act as a mental crutch too. 'using this belt will make the lift feel better'

They're not the best value because they're shit. Inzer is by far a better value for what you get.

only use mine for squats and deads

Inzer are fantastic belts, but not IPF approved.

Did you even read what i said?