How strong are muscles actually?

have you ever wondered how much weight your muscles could lift if you could attack them to shit? Obviously it wouldn't lift it as far but off the ground at all, how much more weight than what you can do normally? All our limbs are at such massive mechanical disadvantages. It seems like even just to curl 50 lbs the force transmitted between your bicep tendon and bone must be multiples higher, since levers and such. How much higher is that force exactly? Are there any generalized coefficients between the force a muscle pulls at the bone with and the force generated at the business end of a limb? I tried google and I couldn't find anything, I assume because it varies a bit for everyone but I am sure there's averages...

Attached: muscle-function.jpg (823x481, 100K)

Bump for intense interest

Attached: 1550983790746.png (565x450, 208K)

Like if your bicep went from shoulder to wrist instead? I'm sure someone on here can do that math, shouldn't be too hard

Nigga get on dat sport science bsc/ msc degree

extremely
if every muscle in your body could pull in the same direction an average person could pull a ton

Shit like that would make us too different. Nigh different species level. And definitely to different/inefficient to work out

Attached: Baki Like This.jpg (752x3936, 1.28M)

Wish this nigga was relevant again.

>attack
meant attach, damn.

but imagine if you had all your skeletal muscle removed and attached to something, they could probably lift something like 10 tons off the ground... maybe more?

We would be more like primates. They can bring insane strength to bear compared to us but they suck at throwing and striking and such because they cannot generate speed like we can, and their range of motion of obviously much shorter.

This is a real test. They’ve already hooked up people in the lab to electrical stimulation and forced their muscles to contract to their max. It’s just that mentally you can only utilize some not all of the muscle.

Torqu is arm times force
It is easy math

But I don't have the numbers to do the calculation with...

Attached: 1511996881054.jpg (655x527, 59K)

lol that picture is so dumb. do you realize how fragile you would be if every part of your body was a joint like your back or your wrist? literally the weakest parts of your body are your joints

This character has an attack that starts at his feet and ends at his fist that uses each joint to speed it up on the way there and break the sound barrier. He wanted to add more joints to add more speed. It's just his imagination, mind over matter, but it worked pretty well.

Its easy, pull on someone's arm till it snaps in half, record that and that would be the human limit.

40cm palm to elbow
5 from tendon to center of elbow.
Curl of 200N

0.4x200=0.05xforce produced
1600N
That can't be right

its not practical. even if you could swing a body part at those speeds you would probably rip your own arm off on impact

>you would probably rip your own arm off on impact
Well, that's kinda what ended up happening in the end...

It has to be something insane like that, right? Trying to use the short end of a lever is really fucking hard to do, but our muscles are doing that all the time and we take it for granted. These shits are a lot stronger than we give them credit for.

Could be, I know you get insane amounts of torque with longer breaker bars. Think about the difference between trying to loosen a bolt with your hand vs with a wrench.

i get the concept tho that his body is like a giant whip but you would need really complex muscular system in order to add momentum to each joint. more complex than the muscles in a tail

very fucking strong, humans have horrible leverages compared to animals like gorillas

this gives us less raw voluntary strength but allows for very fine movement

just think how strong they were when you used to swing from trees with them

Joints and tendons are the biggest gains goblins. Keep pushing yourself too hard, and they'll fuck you later in life.

Well, we had less of a mechanical disadvantage then as well, so I think that was a big part of it, not just everything being that much stronger, though I am sure it was.

Workload varies on each type of movement and each type of people. For a basic there exist muscle couples(groups) acting on the same joint(support/fulcrum) as flexor/extensor. One of them wil work as agonist otherone antagonist of the movement pattern. The force production can vary with bioenergetic fuel used (glykogen etc), fulcrum point, stabilization of the muscle etc. But the main idea of the muscle is contraction of the myofibrils which cause torque for your skeleton to act. You can read more about kinesiology which is the science of the body movements. Torque production of the muscle related with the contraction. You can isolate a muscle in a fixed position such as preacher curls for your biceps and apply some mathematical model to estimate torque production but still if you try to go for max torque production you have to appy more weight which might be dangerous especially if you are trying by yourself. Also you asked how much is the force ? Force created via contraction should be bigger then resultant force vector of the load pathway endpoints. There is a easier way to calculate also. You can hold a object statically and determine 3d static equiblrum such as holdin object on your hand as close as possible in the last portion of curling. In that case sum of moments and forces acting on each coordinates(x,y,z) should be equal to zero. If structure is statically determined you can solve it easily but else (statically undetermined) you should use some auxilary equations from the support types. It is really long topic, for better understandig study hibbelers Engineering Mechanics