If Chinese martial arts are so worthless then why were they invented in the first place and what the hell did their...

If Chinese martial arts are so worthless then why were they invented in the first place and what the hell did their warriors use back then in H2H combat?

Attached: Embroidery-dragon-chinese-martial-arts-performance-clothing-kung-fu-uniform-satin-short-sleeve-wushu (640x640, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oI84oM_bJeg
youtube.com/watch?v=bfcpyMdEwzM
iainabernethy.co.uk/article/10-precepts-anko-itosu
youtube.com/watch?v=6WNtL4UKcwA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

But no warriors used them.

They’re not for fighting. It’s an art form like dancing except with spears. I’m chinese, no chinese person actually would try to use ‘martial arts’ for defending themselves. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.
Im pretty sure it evolved out of actual fighting tactics but it isn’t for fighting.

Chinese martial arts that are around now are mostly useless fluff or fancy pretty nonsense and was thus ignored after the great purge.

The Chinese had some brutal shit back in the day.

>if stuff exist, how can they be worthless?

Big think, chief.

Eastern martial arts were and still are a form of propoganda. They exist as a way of people being trained in a way that builds national pride as "the best martial art" through deification of the instructor and the father of the art, and training as a group.
It was one of the many ways to brainwash others into thinking they could defend themselves against a tyrant, when soldiers were simply used in number.

Have fun throwing a Ching Chong Chop and then Tyrone calls for his monkey backup to gang up on you 2(+)v1(You)
Jigaboos ain’t human and empathy (as well as relation to apes) separates humans from niggers

>national pride

Bull fucking shit, China has never considered itself as a 'nation' until recently due to all the infighting and divisions. Speaking of infighting, there's no doubt Chinese martial arts still has a lot of practical principles within it for killing their fellow man. If you spend centuries fighting with spears and swords, you're going to get pretty good at it.

Mao killed most of the real shit during the cultural revolution, at least the parts that weren’t dead after the japs went in. Older shit was probably less fantastical and simply more similar to modern western martial arts in many ways.
Well the Hans as an ethnic group have been around forever, if that’s worth anything

Most fightings back then were done with weapons. On the battlefield, if you have to rely on hand to hand combat, you would be killed by a spear to your back already.

They were based off of an indian martial art:

youtube.com/watch?v=oI84oM_bJeg

The only noteworthy one is Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do. Ta Chi derived but has irl applications. Ofc just use a gun you tryhard faggot.

Thats probably not even true.

The problem is that if you have a sword and you just rush someone who has a sword. Its really hard to defend yourself.

youtube.com/watch?v=bfcpyMdEwzM

Even worse when people train martial arts in china they do the same style against each other. So you might have wing chun against wing chun. Which, is stupid as not even wing chun people fight wing chun under pressure as they will switch to boxing or wrestling the person down.

because they're gay lol

Attached: 10991270886_616144b8a9_b.jpg (480x720, 83K)

Uhh.... Have you never seen the IP man films?

Love those "kicking imaginary giant man" poses.

The problem with martial arts is she probably thinks she can beat an average untrained male.

My in-law is like that. She trains some kung fu bullshit and weights around 50kg. Even a 12 kid could probably take her on.

>then why were they invented in the first place
because they were fighting fellow insectoids

Because the gook martial arts that exist now were basically created in the kung fu craze during the 70s. They look fancy but they have nothing to do with self defense or fighting. The only asian martial arts worth a damn are judo and muay thai (and kind of kyokushin karate).

Because its martial ARTS not MARTIAL arts.

serious answer:

-the qing dynasty forbade most martial arts, seeing them as a threat. china's had a bit of a history with rebellions led by martial arts sects.
-then of course japan outlawed it in the areas they controlled as well
-then mao and the cultural revolution

so there's been very little continuity in modern history and what exists now mostly survived because it was impractical enough for the various ruling powers to allow people to practice it

>“I don’t oppose playing ball in the least, but I do oppose this feverish consumption of foreigners’ goods. This is exercise, but it is the exercise of the gents and ladies of the leisured classes. If you want to exercise your body, is a blade not enough? Is a sword routine not enough? Are wrestling or boxing not enough? >Of China’s eighteen types of martial arts, not one is incapable of drenching our entire bodies in sweat, stimulating all the body’s blood, tendons, and bones.”
>Warlord Feng Yuxiang, 1927

>“The lungs are reservoirs of air, and the air is the lord of strength. Whoever speaks of strength must know of air.”
>– Jui Meng, Shaolin monk, 1692

Attached: Qi Jiguang hires Shaolin fighters.jpg (381x270, 33K)

Wu shu, Tai chi, and Kung Fu has already been obsoleted by modern martial arts but it doesn't mean they don't have any uses. Wu shu for example isn't mainly a combat oriented martial arts but training your proper form and posture, which is why children are taught with Wu shu to make them more flexible.

Against an untrained fighter they are probably quite effective.

The Chinese have some legit martial arts too but they are superstitious af and so they believe when a monk says he can btfo 10 men.

Wing chun for example is badass af if you aren't fighting someone who is trained in MMA type martial arts.

Attached: BoxerSoldiers.jpg (528x627, 264K)

Based kalaripayattu. I'm from kerela myself so swag gang. Jk i hate my race I'm so ugly. My family looks like peasants in middle class clothes.

She could probably btfo an untrained woman tho...

Attached: 1553518174309.jpg (440x475, 41K)

They didn't teach the secret sause, the secret moves to westerners or other people.

This is the reason why they are dead.

Only thing of value is Bruce's wing chun, and that crap old people fitness tai.

Attached: 1553353236816.jpg (830x1024, 119K)

This is a meme. Indian martial arts/Bodhidarma inventing kung fu just isn't true. It's highly doubtful whether Bodhidarma even existed or went to China, with many scholars; both ancient and modern agreeing he did neither. His transmission of Chan Buddhism as well as the dates of his arrival are also doubtful. Kung Fu's existence in China not only predate him but were there, firmly established and in practice before he came. As was Buddhism. Tthe various styles of Shaolin Kung Fu especially were also either already practiced styles, styles brought to the temple and styles based on other styles with a Buddhist/Shaolin touch

Attached: acrobats-of-manchuria-correction-10-despecled.jpg (1073x691, 291K)

In Anko itosu's 10 precepts of karate he's basically trying to get karate taught in schools and mentions it's good to prepare kids for military service.
Martial arts can teach discipline, control and other skills even if it does end up losing any real combative applications.
iainabernethy.co.uk/article/10-precepts-anko-itosu

My husband's sister is some third wave feminist cunt. "Women are just as strong as men, I can kick any guys ass" type of dumb cunt.

She once told me to grab her from behind so she could prove she could defend herself.

Choking her out was the second most pleasurable thing I've ever done. It really pissed her off when I said I've been in more pain from stubbing my toe then her attempts to defend herself. Lol

Are there any illustrations or videos that demonstrate what these forbidden martial arts looked like? They probably wouldn't be impressive by today's standards, but anything's better than wushu crap.

Chinese martial arts primarily developed within religious temples due to the circumstances of the imperial rule. Every single Chinese dynasty was extremely wary of religious complexes gaining too much power/influence/money and often purged temples once a religious institution started getting too big. Thus, temples needed to be able to defend themselves when purges came. However, training with weapons would basically be admitting to the imperial government that they were preparing to challenge the government for power. And so martial arts, which could somewhat believably be defended as an art form or meditation method developed.

are you gay
some kind of homo

I know the point you’re trying make about strength differences between men and women, but read your post again and see if you think you sound like a maladjusted psycho. I don’t know which scenario is worse; that you actually did it or you just made it up, but if it’s the former, congratulations on beating up a woman.

Don't be so homophobic bro.

Real Chinese martial arts that were used in antiquity to actually fight are extinct. They were casualties of xenophobia, insular thinking, unwillingness to endure difficult training, and the Cultural Revolution. What you see today is just some bizarre facsimile of what once was.

Even still, I doubt these extinct martial arts would be any better than what we see used in MMA.

They were invented by the Vedic culture in Indo-Europe

>Dude you need air to breathe.
> - some really enlightened chinaman

inb4 you can fuck up cunts with kung fu... but what would you nerds know

I did a lot research on this.

1) In a book from the 1700s, I can't find the pdf anymore, a European traveler to China has basically the same things to bitch about as we do today: The Chinese martial arts have lots of really cool stunts, but are useless in a fight. 10,000 determined Euros could take China, according to him.
2) Communists and Qing killed all martial arts in China. What we have today is what they want us to have. They even do Sanda, which was invented by the Chinese nationalists (allied with literally Hitler for some time) because they have to have SOMETHING.
3) WW2 showed that only Xingyiquan and Tongbeiquan were useful in war.

Having said this, the only worthwhile martial arts are Western. Sadly, the original medieval techniques are basically lost (or rather, the curriculum and how to train, since the techniques are shown but never explained). It basically looks like Japanese Jiu Jitsu and was commonly described as "the breaking of arms and legs". There are some who maintain that this type of unarmed martial arts is actually the source of all the Japanese grappling styles. In armed martial arts, anything European blows anything else out of the water, it isn't even close.

Unfortunately, WW1 and WW2 completely destroyed the lineages of all those martial arts. We only have sports event now, which aren't quite as useful in a real fight as many people believe them to be. The boxing people did before WW2, for example, was quite different to what we have today.

But anyway. Going by warfare (ie. trained opponents fighting to the death without rules), only few styles have a good track record:
>Taekwondo
>Japanese Jiu Jitsu/Medieval Wrestling
>Tongbeiquan (to a lesser extent: Xingyiquan)
>a really simplified version of Karate
>a really simplified version of boxing

These could take on all comers and win. Muay Thai, for example, got BTFO by Jiu Jitsu and Karate in WW2. Completely unimaginable by today's standards, but reality.

>he doesn't know of the unification of china

Itosu ruined Karate.

It's mostly armed styles back then. And don't make the mistake of comparing military styles to sports styles, the latter will always look "more impressive".

>Even still, I doubt these extinct martial arts would be any better than what we see used in MMA.
MMA is just Pankration for children, with soft gloves and many rules so we don't injure each other too badly. It's really, really nothing new.

Let's forget about genders for a bit. Just humor me.
Let's say you have to deal with a mouthy cunt always bragging about their MA classes and how they made them into this war machine
You ignore them, because getting into it is a waste of time, but they come to you and ask you for a chance to prove them wrong
What do you do? Remember: no genders for this mind exercise

What do you think of sanda?

If you want to know how middle ages Chinese martial arts look like, take a look at Okinawan Karate. It is the origin of all Karate in Japan, and is derived from the Southern Chinese methodology of combat.

Even then, the creation of Chinese martial arts was by peasants who needed to defend themselves in a time when they weren't allowed to carry arms except when conscripted.

they are not "worthless", they're outdated. people like to exaggerate. fighting evolves, like anything.

Oops, you just asked an obvious NPC to think.

My bad, how doubleplusungood of me.

They were invented because they people they were used against were too retarded to respond properly and more or less let themselves die. These people of the past are the kinds of people who we might call out for freezing up today during an active shooter situation, but only 10x worse because they froze up with fists and short range weapons.
You can really see the same thing with most swords in medieval culture, especially greatsword types. Those things were way too long and heavy for anyone to ever use as effectively as a knife or spear, and absolutely every single move with the weapon is completely telegraphed, yet people still died when they were used because they sat there in terror while others swung their heavy ass swords around.

I think that other user might have been referring to pride for the nation states predating a unified China and it being OC propaganda for those states.

>remember: no genders
I dont think I like this MW2 mod you're peddling, Tumblr.

East asians got btfo by the portugese and other europeans every time, it's not like they were that good at warfare.

They probably resembled your normal kickboxing/folk-wrestling like sanda/sansho, but then they got watered down into bullshit interpretive dance - which while athletic, will get your shit stomped in.

Same as krotty. At one point, it was a sensible striking art to compliment okinawan folk wrestling; then it turned into fist fencing with people yelling "OSU!".

If the woman is around her weight. But that's setting the bar near the ground, innit m8?

Based.

Happened to me with a friend who practiced "teh real krav", but is around 15lbs lighter than me. We ended falling on the ground, but he still couldn't get free.

youtube.com/watch?v=6WNtL4UKcwA

Noone actually used stuff like greatswords to fight against people with leather armor and sword and shield though. Those were used mostly to get rid of slower, heavily armored knights, spear formations and horses.
They might be worse in a duel or as self defense weapons but a useful asset in an outright battle to break formations since the enemy couldn´t dodge as well.