Wendler uses 531 with high school kids. Why is it bad for beginners?

If a bunch of 14 year olds are recommended this program, what's wrong with it for a beginner/novice weightlifter?

Attached: 531-and-Rest-Pause.jpg (738x415, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.imgur.com/zJHkjOl?r
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There are about 100 different variations of 5/3/1. Some of them are appropriate for lifters at different levels.

A beginner should run linear progression fullbody 3x (basically ss but with accessories like chins and rdls, and 3x5 instead of 5x5 ) and eat .

It’s very good for intermediates but also boring and gay as fuck because you gotta start light as fuck with your tm and be conservative with your one rep maxes when you could be running conjugate system and going balls to the wall maxing out every fucking week and hammering the shit out of your weak points.

Biggest downside is that multiple women run 5/3/1

531 is suboptimal for novice lifters as it only progresses every 3/4 weeks. Most people can make session to session linear progression for roughly 2 years max then weekly progression for up to twice that at least. So until you are solidly at intermediate progression and can't increase weight on the bar even weekly which could be say after 5 years of training, 531 gives less gains compared to beginner routines like Greyskull LP, SS, etc and early intermediate routines like Madcow-5x5 or Texas Method. There is a beginner LP variant of 531 which would be appropriate for novice lifters.

Attached: Original-531-Program.jpg (426x195, 31K)

Are the first 3 sets for weeks 1-3 just warmup? I don't have the book, but that seems to be what's implied.

I understand that this is the conventional wisdom, full body 3x per week (GSLP, SL, SS) with progression from session to session. I'm wondering why Jim opts to use 531 instead of one of those other programs if it's sub-optimal.

Shilling his program or he uses the modified beginner LP 531 version. At this point 531 pretty much just means any Jim Wendler program as there are almost infinite variants.

5/3/1 is a lot less intense / draining on your recovery because of the slower progression which can be an upside for an older lifter but a downside for a committed young athletic male who’s willing to eat.

The rest is bullshit , the whole idea of not stalling on 5/3/1 is bullshit , when you stall on linear progression (as a novice) you reset the weight and start making progress again , but with 5/3/1 he makes reset the weight every three weeks and markets it as “ not stalling “ . You’re resetting just like in linear progression but much more frequently. To sum It up complicates training and slows down progress for novices .

And on top of all that you re supposed to be deloading every 3 weeks ? Fucking stupid as fuck even for intermediates especially when you factor in the recommended lower training max (85% on week 3 , the heaviest week )

Post body and lifts

>3x5 instead of 5x5
Explain why

Because I couldn’t recover from 5x5 , I did taxing accessories too like chins, rdls, close grip bench etc pretty much icf version 2.

If you can handle 5x5 do it , I could at the beginning but then as I got stronger it became worse

He doesn't.

Look up his video talking about his football team.

300 x1 bench
315 x2 front squat with straps , No back squat
Dl 500

5,8 200 lb with literally never dieted in my life (because of gyno from puberty and laziness) but I plan on doing it soon, no point in posting body

Post Milkers!

I do 5/3/1 bbb and don't have too terrible results.

What program do you follow?

I never claimed that 5/3/1 won’t work , even for novices it s fine because it’s extremely basic / simple . But it’s not this magical constant progress program and novices are better off using linear progression and resetting with 10% when they stall , then when they’re done with that style of training something like nSuns or Texas method is imo better assuming you’re doing what it takes to recover properly, eat and sleep . That Depends on the person though .

My main 2 problems with it are completely personal, not the program s fault though ,
First off all the tm philosophy that Wendler preaches is fucking gay , effective but boring as fuck . I do not want to constantly keep reps in the tanks on those so called amrap + sets , and I don’t want to lift at 90% (which is 85% most of the time if you actually follow what Jim says ) and then with all this half assessing shit I’m expected to DELOAD EVERY CYCLE (usually 2 cycles but still ) meanwhile I’m maxing out every week on a Lower body lift and bench variation, lifting at maximal intensity and blasting heavy metal going full retard to get some adrenaline going

Second off it doesn’t emphasize accessory work like the Westside method does and this why I truly believe it’s superior as long as you’re really good with your form ( bad par bath will fuck up your lockout on bench , way worse than weak triceps . Same thing with deadlift setup and speed of the floor ) and you can identify what needs to be prioritized .

This is a way better method than just doing 5x5 bench at 85% (while cycling it from 75% fucking lol ) or 5x10 at 60% /50% like you’re doing and following it with “50 or 100 reps pull push fucking unilateral legs “ , .just benching more is not gonna fix a shit lockout .

I keep my programming simple , rotate max effort movements 2 or 3 weeks (and switch up non max effort movements less often) : bench tg >close grip >pause normal grip >bench tg always trying to pr (1-5r)

On speed days it’s conventional deadlifts or variations , I don’t box squat because I don’t think that’s needed and I mainly focus on front squats (which btw gave me a lot of speed of the floor so the carry over is definitely better imo).

It’s bastardized Westside version and I’m doing a lot of shit which isn’t optimal according to Louie Simmons, he wouldn’t even call this Westside .

yes. 3 warm up sets, 2 sets for activation snd one allout amrap set with a minimum number of reps you should hit even if yu're sick and sleep deprived

This how a real man looks like you fucking dyel
m.imgur.com/zJHkjOl?r

Because his goal isn't more weight on the bar. He's training athletes. Lifting weights is only one of the things they have to do. Sports practices are hard as fuck and you need an easier program if you want to lift at the same time. The goal is to play better football.

Then why does shit like bbb and the 3month bbb challenge exist?

5/3/1 is marketed as a general strength and size program with an emphasis on the big 4.

>Then why does shit like bbb and the 3month bbb challenge exist?
Because it does? That doesn't mean he's using those templates in schools moron.

You do not understand 5/31. You dont deload every 3 weeks on 5/3/1. You increase your training max then start the 5/3/1 cycle again.

He doesn't use BBB with the kids. The whole point is that you use different templates for different goals. BBB is kind of hard and would be extremely hard if you had practices too.

You deload every 2 cycles just like I said . It’s not rocket science

When people refer to 5/3/1 they’re talking about templates like bbb or that fullbody 1000% awesome or whatever the fuck it’s called . Not fucking programs for kids who play sports and don’t give a single shit about big numbers or big arms .

So yeah it’s not really a program mainly for athletes, it can be used for whatever you need . In ops case it’s not strictly for performance