What does Jow Forums think of grappling and throwing martial arts such as BJJ, Judo, Sambo

What does Jow Forums think of grappling and throwing martial arts such as BJJ, Judo, Sambo.
Why shouldn't all people train something so relaxing and hard at the same time?

Attached: new-1516142182-1516142183.jpg (1499x1080, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Uc6zWKH_XUE
youtube.com/watch?v=A-KGkC_KQcU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I dont feel like getting arthritis early in life. What do people think is going to happen when you are constantly putting your joints in vulnerable positions? The oldest Gracie can hardly even walk anymore his back is so fucked up.

Strength training is the best option if you want to have a confortable life as an older person adn would like to increase your ability to defend yourself. Martial arts will make you able to defend yourself and it might be fun, but its going to ruin your body eventually. Its just how it is. But strength training will keep your body healthy and make you better at defending yourself.

Judo is alright.
Good luck finding a decent sambo gym outside of Russia.
BJJ is fucking gay. Yeah, it works in mma, but any martial art that encourages practitioners to move the fight to the ground is gay and retarded.

now i'm sad...

we actually train both judo and bjj.
Twice monthly, our teacher has extra classes for people wanting to do striking for real life fights, like MMA, but we don't clobber ourselves to death cause we're all working people, not highschoolers with nothing better to do.

It's the best thing happening in my life right now.

>make you better at defending yourself
Not by any meaningful amount. Worse, statistically buff dudes are more likely to be forced into a brawl because all the social posturing that usually causes them works a hell of a lot more if the target looks impressive than wimpy.
Practice martial arts. It's excellent cardio and you won't fuck up your body unless you train and spar enough to go pro.

Sorry, life isnt a video game. You have to be careful

Thats not true. Big people are more likely to avoid fights because men instinctively know not to bother people bigger than them. And yes, strength will help you a lot in defending yourself. Weight classes matter even with the best fighters. Being strong will help you be a better fighter, otherwise women would be just as a threat as men, but they are not because they are weaker.
youtube.com/watch?v=Uc6zWKH_XUE

It's gay.

If you are doing martial arts now youve gotta make a choice, preserve your body or continue because you enjoy it.

Still walks better than your mum when I'm done banging her.

>*lanklet takes drink*
>*sip*
>*manlet judo throws him into the earth*

My mom is a tranny

Sure...

How do I know what BJJ guard passes work in a real fight? It seems my head is so open

the choice is already made, i'm just gonna be careful.

ok, what sport do you do?

Strength training is literally useless if you dont know technique.

It is one factor. If you are strong and know how to do real movements, you will have a big advantage.

Chances are you will just get pummeled

if this position is the guard, the entire position is stupid. Your testicles are right there to grab, this would be a bad spot.

Attached: bjj.jpg (300x248, 15K)

Guard passes are designed to work against an actively resisting opponent. If it doesn't work it means you're doing it wrong or the other guy is countering you. If first option, then get better. If second option then get better. That's all that matters.

Also, if you're trying to pass guard, the other person is down. If they're trying to punch you when they're down, you know that they're retarded when it comes to fighting. Their punches are going to be considerably weaker, and you should just be able to slice through them on the ground. In most passing positions, you're not in a position where the other person is going to be hitting you very hard anyways.

This is so dumb. If strength didnt matter, women would be just as much as a threat in a fight as a man. I admit martial arts are better for learning how to defend yourself. But doing sparring and wrestling hard often will lead to bodily damage. Im simply saying I dont think its worth it if you want to live comfortably as an older person. Just look at older martial artists, they do not live a comfortable life.

>dude just grab the balls lmao

Yeah good luck grabbing a small moving target
>yeah bro I'd just poke his eyes out dis ain't no match dis real

>Being strong will help you be a better fighter,

youtube.com/watch?v=A-KGkC_KQcU

obligatory post

I've trained in karate and kickboxing for about 5 years.
I've recently went to a judo class, because it's 5 minutes from home and i thought what the hell, mma people train in grappling, how hard can it be?
I went there and they were just starting classes after holydays. The teacher asked me if i did any sports, what i work bla bla and asked what made me come to his classes.
I told him i just want to learn how to throw people, but that i'm a little reticent about it, being a striker and all.
He gave me a pair of gloves and asked me to fight him whatever way i want to. I tried punching him, he blocked and gently tripped me, mounted me and submitted me with a kimura.
Never have i been defeated so fast, easily and gently. I'm hooked for life.

Women are VERY weak compared to just a regular guy. That is the difference.

Plus they are shorter and don't weigh as much so they dont have as much power.

With that said, a well trained female can submit an untrained man of similar height and weight

not a kimura, the other one. Ude-garami, kimura is gyaku ude-garami.

lol, you actually think it wouldnt matter? Getting hit in the balls will end a fight and the balls are literally right there. And ya, poking the eyes is a good tactic. MMA guys have to take a break whenever they get a poke. Its like you think the most sensitive areas on the body dont matter or something.

"Sport bjj" guard pass are much more refined than mma guard pass. Principles working behind them are the same but current bjj meta is way too point oriented.
>implying both fags doing this gay shit jitsu don't rub their crotches together like the cucks they are.
They've both got their balls up in the air to be rubbed.

Attached: ankle pick aniuar geduev style.webm (452x333, 528K)

Oh my gosh, I already said that martial arts is better but it will destroy your body eventually. If you dont think being stronger is better for a fight, you must think that children are threats.

I started doing BJJ and the advanced females were not very good against me. So maybe some black belts could beat me. But the girls who had been doing it for like 3 or so years couldnt submit me. Like I said martial arts is better than strength training but the damage you do to your body is not worth it imo. Im likely not going to ever get in a real fight but I likely will get old and I dont want to suffer as an older person. Id like to still be healthy. Doing all these martial arts will only decrease my chances in being a healthy older person.

What the other guy said is that a 75kg normal height trained guy (not tall, but not a disgusting 5'2'' midget) can destroy an 105kg 4/3/2 guy who never trained to fight. It's like saying an 100kg normal guy can outlift a 70kg competing powerlifter.

i guess, but i'd like to think i'll still be in shape as i get older and i could kick some young whippersnappers ass in a public transport when he's playing his neegrow music.

Why are you still talking about this? I said martial arts is better. But strength training will help you in self defense it silly to say otherwise. I am much more dangerous being 50 pounds heavier. Id be more dangerous if I did MMA, but I dont want to destroy my body

Its possible but you are lowering your chances.

Fair enough. Being a manlet (5' 9'') i feel the need to prove myself so i train this shit and get into fights with bigger people. I still feel bad about myself.

>martial arts is better
strength helps of course, but if you have zero formal training you will just lock up the moment another person throws punches or goes for a tackle. you should at least get your feet wet.

>Why shouldn't all people train

Because not everyone can handle something like Judo Or sambo. Both are very intense. I do Judo 4x a week, at 27 and 4 years under my belt i feel like i have arthritis in my fingers when i wake up that only goes away after a few hours. Same thing with the rest of the boys, and instructor.

You'll also get hurt quite a considerable amount, weather you like it or not. Judo is not "relaxing", stop watching Olympians.

Attached: maxres43default.jpg (1280x720, 187K)

>I am much more dangerous being 50 pounds heavier.
You are slightly more dangerous, because most of your strength advantage is gonna be wasted by your non-existent technique. If you even hit anything at all.
You don't need to be pro-level. Training enough to achieve basic familiarity with striking technique and range is enough to capitalize big time on your strength advantage.
Do it, bitch. You're no more likely to injure yourself through light sparring than you are lifting anyway, it's no like it's an injury free activity.

>Strength training is the best option if you want to have a confortable life as an older person adn would like to increase your ability to defend yourself. Martial arts will make you able to defend yourself and it might be fun, but its going to ruin your body eventually. Its just how it is. But strength training will keep your body healthy and make you better at defending yourself.

retarded concept - the gracie family are INFAMOUS for not tapping to anything other than being choked.

If you tap to joint locks and respect your joints - there's no way you can't roll into your 50s-60s.

>retarded concept - the gracie family are INFAMOUS for not tapping to anything other than being choked.

Gracie family have also been mentioned to be taking illegal substances, especially against the match with 10th planet, where he got thrown into a knee lock and did not tap despite his knee being lop sided and on the verge of snapping.

Whats yer point? not that guy.

They work insofar as your opponent is down on the ground with you and has no friends. Hopefully there are no rocks or glass or syringes around either.

Literally the only people who tell me shit like "kick the balls" or "go for the eyes" are women or boomers who have never been in a fight.

>Getting hit in the balls will end a fight
No, it fucking won't.
Pain is the most unreliable way to incapacitate your opponent. Adrenaline marginalizes it.

Hmm
>going for small constantly moving targets while leaving your body open to strikes, kicks, and knees
Vs
>reliably using movements you have drilled and used in sparring that can work in a chaotic fight

Want to know how I know you have never been in a fight? I suppose you think kung fu is real too

> Getting hit in the balls will end a fight
Actually no. You still can get punched, kicked, eye gouged, fishhooked, thrown, slamed clubbed, stabbed or gunned down when you kick someone in the balls.

Attached: 1470546732066.webm (852x480, 2.97M)

This x1000

It is more reliable and effective to hit a face than use fucking fingers aiming for eyes

What target is bigger?

>Whats yer point? not that guy.
His point likely is that the Gracies are physically destroyed because they fought a lot and they fought dumb (in the context of avoiding injury). A prudent amateur won't ever develop issues comparable to the Gracies.

>A prudent amateur won't ever develop issues comparable to the Gracies.

You do know lots of BJJ accidents happen because it's an Amateur and inexperienced roll Or when those Amateur get pumped up and have adrenaline flowing through them, putting you in an arm lock for instance they will go right into it with full force (especially when competing). I train Judo, but cross-train BJJ, and roll with lots of BJJ guys. They are all fine, but they do get injured more frequently and ALWAYS get things like like meniscus tears in the knee.

With BJJ you have to be cautious every training session, and TAP TAP TAP if you truly want to save your joints.

>You do know lots of BJJ accidents happen because it's an Amateur and inexperienced roll Or when those Amateur get pumped up and have adrenaline flowing through them, putting you in an arm lock for instance they will go right into it with full force (especially when competing). I train Judo, but cross-train BJJ, and roll with lots of BJJ guys. They are all fine, but they do get injured more frequently and ALWAYS get things like like meniscus tears in the knee.

Not just that - I've had my MCL go because I got put in an ankle lock early on without knowing the rate / waiting on a specific pressure feeling.

Knees go from 0-100 so quick compared to an elbow imo.

I've rolled wtih white belts that are chill AF and purple's who are fucking clown shoes; if the other person is smooth in their movements and not going like its fuckin PAN-AM then you'll avoid injury.

experienced Judo players are solid; new guys to that are fuckin horrid and throw you so much harder than you need to at the wrong times.

the Gracies are fuckin idiots with some of their training choices; you couldn't use them as the only measure of injury from the sport.

Which oldest gracie? Helio died at like 95 years old and was still sharp as fuck and would go around collar choking people that asked. Of course they can't roll like in their 20's but if you don't train like a retard and take care of yourself you can keep healthy joints till you are 100 years old.

Most people are not like the miyaos that don't tap to anything. They will probably suffer latter in life but there's also the argument that they prefer giving it all now and being world champs rather than living a easy but boring life.

You have several examples of older blacl belts that are still healthy
>Ricardo de la Riva
A legend of the 80's that still runs a school and rolls everyday.
>Xande Ribeiro
He's not very old but has been around forever and last ADCC he submitted people way younger
>Megaton Dias
Motherfucker is in his 50's and still competes in adult division. Has been in every world championship to date
>Cobrinha
He was 37 and won everything that could be won in 2017. Just ran through people 15 years younger than him.

I could give more examples. Judo also has a lot of guys like this. Basically don't be a retard and you can train till you are 80.

Attached: transferir (1).jpg (435x351, 35K)

>I could give more examples. Judo also has a lot of guys like this. Basically don't be a retard and you can train till you are 80.

You aren't training in a special snowflake environment like the gracies were, it's others you need to watch out for, not yourself.

Going from fucking up your back so bad you can hardly walk to getting injured at all is moving goalposts so far you're changing galaxy.
Let's keep this reasonable, nobody stated martial arts training is 100% injury free.
Amateurs can fuck themselves over in any activity, it's not like you can't throw your back while lifting badly. Just be careful and find a decent gym.

I wasn't even the guy you were talking to about not getting injured at all, or fucking up your back. BJJ has more injuries compared to other martial arts. I don't know why it gets you so upset, when you probably don't even train in BJJ, and even if you did I'd still knock your head into the mats.

imagine ripping of a martial art and just putting your last name on it

I train bjj and Muay Thai and love it. My bjj coach does a lot of work on takedowns. If it’s a gi class we do judo, if it’s no gi we work single and double leg

>BJJ has more injuries compared to other martial arts. I don't know why it gets you so upset
That's not wha upsets me, stop acting like I'm guaranteeing injury free training. The initial discussion was about how doing ANY martial arts training is gonna invariably and permanently fuck your body up.
Is it weird if such blatant bullshit upsets me?

>confirmed for not having balls

you are one dumb mothefucker

ken shamrock said the same thing. he said if he was starting martial arts now he would be a striker and not a submission grappler.

Most people don't realize how bad Judo, BJJ and grappling in general is on your hands / fingers. When it's cold, is when my finger pains come out from BJJ over the years.. it's brutal.

Attached: 4234234.jpg (236x285, 6K)

Stories like this make me so eager to start either bjj or judo. I set it as a reward for when I reach a certain income goal.

Holy shit, you're delusional. In the immortal words of Bas Rutten: I'm gonna count to 3, once I do, you poke me in the eye, and then I break your neck.

Stories like that are complete and utter bullshit. Doing kickboxing for 5 years, and he cant lay a single fucking punch let alone a kick. Don't be deluded.

Judo is not the means to all, people who do Judo also do a striking art. Doing just judo, and using only judo on someone that knows boxing / kick boxing can land you getting battered with punches.

.t blue belt in Judo

Bas Rutten is one of a kind though. If you watch his videos about self-defense, the first thing he says to do is run away if possible.

Doesn't change his point: if you escalate against someone who is a more proficient fighter, you're only putting yourself at more risk.
People who say shit like eye poke/fishhook/groin attacks/etc work against trained grapplers don't realise that their opponent is just as capable of doing the same to him, probably in a more efficient manner, if not worse.

Not saying it's the be all end all, but in isolation, grappling arts are as a rule more effective. Early MMA showed that really well, with judokas, bbj practitioners and wrestlers coming out on top against boxers and kickboxers.